Lodestar and Great Lord Classes

FailWood

Out of the 1st Gen units, who would say are some good candidates for these classes?  Playing a North American copy means I only get one Hero's Brand and Exalt's Brand (Not worried about Lodestar's Speedtaker or Great Lord's Aether, as there are unlimited Manuals for both skills via other DLC).

Which route are you playing? Units like Selena, Peri, and Oboro can be good Great Lords. Lodestar is a bit strange, your male Corrin would probably be the best. Units like Hinata and Laslow already come with Sword rank, and Speedtaker can patch up their low speed.

51 minutes ago, LoneStar said:

Which route are you playing? Units like Selena, Peri, and Oboro can be good Great Lords. Lodestar is a bit strange, your male Corrin would probably be the best. Units like Hinata and Laslow already come with Sword rank, and Speedtaker can patch up their low speed.

It was a general question, so hearing candidates for each route is appreciated.  Male Corrin would be my go-to for Lodestar, so you mentioning him is reassuring.  As for Great Lord, how good of a candidate would you say Scarlet is for Birthright?

1 hour ago, LoneStar said:

Units like Hinata and Laslow already come with Sword rank, and Speedtaker can patch up their low speed.

Here's the problem with this: Speedtaker comes at level 35. That's a serious issue for obvious reasons.

32 minutes ago, FailWood said:

It was a general question, so hearing candidates for each route is appreciated.  Male Corrin would be my go-to for Lodestar, so you mentioning him is reassuring.  As for Great Lord, how good of a candidate would you say Scarlet is for Birthright?

I'm not sure I'd recommend it - Scarlet is the only good axe user you get on Birthright.

I definitely second Laslow and Hinata for Lodestar, but Hinata would appreciate the skills more than the class itself cause Swordmaster has a better speed growth. I also think Silas would be a great candidate since he has better overall stats than either Laslow or Hinata. The only thing is that he'll lose his horse, so that's something to consider.

As you said, Speedmaster is available via DLC (Heirs of Fate Chapter V to be specific), but Chapter V is the hardest chapter in the story IMO and hard to consider as farmable. It is worth achieving, however haha.

Hinoka and Reina may be good candidates for Great Lord if you wanna give up their flying, but they just need to build up on their sword rank. I also think Effie will do great in the class if you wanna fix her movement and speed much sooner. 

Edited by LJ_Tenma

6 hours ago, FailWood said:

Out of the 1st Gen units, who would say are some good candidates for these classes?  Playing a North American copy means I only get one Hero's Brand and Exalt's Brand (Not worried about Lodestar's Speedtaker or Great Lord's Aether, as there are unlimited Manuals for both skills via other DLC).

Everyone who isn´t Setsuna, Rinkah, a pure Mage (think Nyx, Orochi, etc) and maybe Felicia and Gunther can make good use out of it. Maybe exclude Subaki and Benny too, cause neither of these classes really give them anything they really need. Or enough of what they need (SPD).

Will you use the DLC classes as Master Seals (which I believe it is the intended way) or right away? If used as Master Seals...

The thing about these two classes is that they do not offer great advantages over Nohrian's classes. Their skills are better than their growths and bonuses.

For example, I would use Lodestar's first two skills as a complement to a Hero, on a main "tank", like Silas. Yet, the one statistic wherein Lodestar exceeds Hero is Luck; everything else is exactly the same. And I very much prefer Sol and Axe Breaker over Dual Guarder and Speed Taker. And access to Axes never hurts.
Against Paladin Silas, Lodestar is a bit faster and definitely defter, while Paladin has more Resistance. Then again, I prefer 8-movement, Lances and Aegis.

Great Lord is trickier because none of the girls have Defence (bar Velouria), its 2-range weapons cannot double and it does not have particularly high Strength. (Not even Great Lord Charlotte is an option, for she would lose 10-points of Strength.) It is fast and deft, but even then, Great Lord Sophie (with Effie as her mama) is only marginally faster and defter than Paladin Sophie. The skills are better, though.
It can be used as a replacement of a Paladin, I guess, but your only Paladin is Sophie, the other girls have very different class-trees. And Paladin Sophie is a "second-row" unit, it can only hold a position in particular situations and it is not strong-enough nor fast-enough to secure every kill on Player Phase.

Use the DLC classes for variety, but do not rely on them as the core of your party.
(I play with 10-units parties; in your case, with a more numerous party, the use of "accessory" units should be simpler.)

I’ve heard Kaze makes an amazing Lodestar (Dual Guarder and Miraculous Save stack well) and I swapped Jakob into Lotdestar for the skills to turn Corrin into an immortal (Jakob’s personal skill stacks well with Dual Guarder if you’re shooting for a dodgetank build on Corrin)

Jakob, Felicia, Gunter, Siegbert and Kaze all make good use of Lodestar's Dual Guardsman as it synergizes with their personal skills.

For Jakob and Felica they can also make use of Charm alongside Demoiselle/Gentillihomme + Inspiration to allow them to be especially good for adding both extra damage and damage reduction. Though if you want to specialize in maximizing the effectiveness of those skills Hinoka, Camilla, Sakura, Elise and Percy would also synergize well in that regard. Though getting Elise through Lodestar or Great Lord might be a bit tricky.

1 hour ago, deskita said:

Jakob, Felicia, Gunter, Siegbert and Kaze all make good use of Lodestar's Dual Guardsman as it synergizes with their personal skills.

Felicia can't get Dual Guardsman as she can't become a Lodestar and there's no manual for the skill.  I could see Jakob in particular being a good candidate like Darnonius mentioned, if he marries Female Corrin and you're dedicated to having him be a backpack unit.

On 07/28/21 at 1:24 PM, starburst said:

Use the DLC classes for variety, but do not rely on them as the core of your party.

Very true, though it's still good to hear recommendations.