Ranking M!Corrin's Personal Pairing Partners (nice alliteration)

indigoasis

In the spoiler tag is an introduction/explanation of what I'm talking about, so you're free to take a gander at that. Otherwise, you can skip it.

Spoiler

Fates is a unique Fire Emblem game in that it is 1 of 3 games in the series (4 if you count Three Houses, although Byleth can only S-Support at the end of the game and it doesn't result in a child unit) that includes a marriage mechanic. However, what separates it from Genealogy of the Holy War and Awakening is that the child units are determined by the father, not the mother like the prior games that included the mechanic. Another thing that makes it different is that there is also a proportionate amount of characters in all three paths so that every child can be acquired with no bachelors or bachelorettes left over, assuming Corrin is left out.

As a pair-up option, F!Corrin is like Azura in that, no matter who she marries (except for her personal pairing partners), she will always have her child and her husband's child, which means that there will be one potential mother left out, but you still get every child unit. On the other hand, if M!Corrin marries a unit that can pair with someone else (like Oboro, for example), then you will be missing out on a single child unit. To remedy this, Corrin has exclusive pairing options so that every other unit in the game can pair up with no child left behind. F!Corrin has exclusive partners, too, but she would be better off marrying someone else to knock out two birds with one stone (not to mention that Corrin is arguably the best parent for any child unit).

In this thread, I'll be focusing M!Corrin's exclusive pairing options since these are the only options he has (aside from marrying a child unit, which is just gross [but optimal for Kana...?]) in order for every child unit to exist.

Male Corrin has 4 potential personal pairing partners (more commonly known as "Corrinsexuals"):

• Flora
  • Reina
  • Scarlet
    • Anna (who is a DLC unit)

Anyway, I shall now rank them in each path based on availability and personal preference because I don't have the kind of time I would like to have to include more criteria. (I won't be including Anna in any of these rankings since it's possible that some players won't have access to her, but for those that do have her/are willing to pay the whole $2, she's arguably one of the best options in all paths anyway.)

Birthright:

Spoiler

I'd say it's a toss-up between Reina and Scarlet since they join so close to each other and are both really good depending on how you've decided to build Corrin and Kana. However, I think I'd have to give the edge to Scarlet.

1. Scarlet - Joins in Chapter 13, so she has great availability, and she passes down Wyvern Rider to Kana, so if you're looking to make Kana a Malig Knight, this is your best bet. Also, her supports with Corrin match up with Kana too well for it not to make sense.
  2. Reina - Only in the second spot because I prefer Scarlet in Birthright, but it really comes down to personal preference on who you think is better.

Conquest:

Spoiler
  1. Flora - Since she's the only (non-DLC) option in Conquest, she is therefore the best (non-DLC) option in Conquest. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but whatever works! She joins in Chapter 19, which kinda sucks, but it's better than nothing.

Revelation:

Spoiler
  1. Reina - Her availability is the best out of all (non-DLC) options, so you can get Kana way earlier than if you were to pair Corrin with Flora. 
  2. Flora - Only better than Scarlet because she doesn't die, but joins after Chapter 23, which is basically the end of the game by that point.
  3. Scarlet - Kiss your supports goodbye after Chapter 18 because she  f u c k i n'  DIES, making Corrin a widow and Kana halfway to becoming an orphan. That also means no pair-up bonuses after she's gone and one less unit in your barracks (not to mention that she's a phenomenal unit, which hurts just that much more). Kana will still turn out fantastic regardless, so Scarlet is still more than viable as a mother, but it won't last very long because she joins in Chapter 16, which is only 2 chapters away from her kicking the bucket. Gosh, they knew how good she was in Birthright, huh?

If you have any thoughts about anything, don't be afraid to speak up. I'm not the best when it comes to optimizing pairings, but I enjoy pairings for the fun of it.

Feel free to share how you would rank them!

This was a dumb thing for IS to do, forcing players to limit Male Corrin's marriage options if you wanted all possible units (unless you didn't care if you don't get everyone).

Not only this, but he would also miss out on the Oni Savage and Apothecary classes unless he makes one of them his talent, then marries Rinkah or Midori (the former means giving up a child unit) for the talent he didn't pick, as no male unit he A supports can give him those classes, whereas Female Corrin doesn't miss anything from supporting female units (aside from unique classes).

TLDR: The only way for Male Corrin get all non unique classes and recruit everyone possible, is to make his talent Oni Savage, then have him marry Midori.

These two inconveniences are why (from a unit standpoint) Female Corrin is better the Male Corrin.  I can't tell if this happened because an oversight, or if they wanted her to be better.  Even though it's by a very narrow margin, it's still a stupid to have one avatar be better then the other when it comes to being units.

Edited by FailWood