Mythic Hero - Ullr: The Bowmaster

Jave

Alternate Title: "IntSys starts searching on Jugdral Lore for characters that can be made into good waifu material"

Edited by Jave

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, another curveball I don't think anyone saw coming. And one I'm pretty okay with. I'm definitely surprised they picked one of the 12 Crusaders, but I feel like I should be more surprised that she was the first of the 12 Crusaders picked. But...pretty lady, popular bow weapon...yeah, not surprised. Anyway, blue looks like the big winner here, followed by red and green, and colorless bringing up the rear.

I knew it was going to be light!  Very much welcome a original character from series, though I dunno who she is.

I hope to get Yune and Mila since I'm missing them 😞

Sigh ...

Okay, so. Can I be salty real fast?

I don't have a problem with Crusaders being Mythic Heroes. Arguably, they're more deserving of it than most of our OCs. I don't have a problem with Ullr herself. She's an interesting choice. Definitely didn't see it coming at all, happy to have her in the game.

It's fucking ridiculous the lengths that they will go to just to avoid giving us any more male mythic units. This officially means that Freyr has been held back from getting a base form longer than Hel has. Who knows if he's ever getting in now. I really don't understand Heroes' reluctance to put him in the game. Beasts are not a common unit type, your options are Tellius laguz and alts of Fateswakening beasts since all of them are in the game now ... and maybe 3H along with any beast OCs. Freyr's summer alt is even red, while Freyja is colorless and green to avoid overlap. So why no regular mythic Freyr? Arguably he deserves to be a mythic more than most of the other OCs due to actually being a deity.

But yeah, I did argue that we had too many OCs. I would've been okay if this were Baldr or Heim or Fala. You know ... characters whose descendants are SUPER relevant to plot and are probably less random. Baldr arguably should have been first. It's weird how Ullr made it in before him. It's about as much of a "what" as Altina getting in before Anri (the original ancestor of a lord) or Deghinsea or Lehran (the people Altina fought alongside who are actually living).

"But this month had to be blue! None of those above Crusaders are blue!" Yeah, I agree. But Ullr, being a bow unit, didn't have to be blue. If you wanted a blue Crusader, why not just throw in Thrud? You know, the guy who is canonically compared to a character in-universe that was made famous because of Heroes? Mjolnir is a blue tome? Or heck, there's also Dain, whose descendant got cheated out of Gungnir. He could've brought Gungnir into the game. Even Noba/Njorun would've made sense, I guess, since Altena and Quan are in the game, and Leif has a skill named after her.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm getting tired of Heroes doing pretty much everything it can to avoid giving us male mythic units, and female units who are equal to their male counterparts in their own or across series still get preferential treatment. And sometimes, their choice of female character doesn't even make sense, skipping over ones that would have arguably fit better.

8 minutes ago, UNLEASH IT said:

They're better off shoving more OC mythics into the game if they're gonna pull stuff like this. I don't even think she has art from her base game.

I rather this thank you very much.

The female Mythic streak continues, now reaching 11 in a row.  Bramimond remains the most recent male Mythic, released back in March of 2020.  ...I will bitch about this until the streak is broken, and I'm not sorry for doing so.  This is absurd.

11 minutes ago, UNLEASH IT said:

They're better off shoving more OC mythics into the game if they're gonna pull stuff like this. I don't even think she has art from her base game.

She does have artwork, just that it came from an artbook instead of in-game. Altina didn't even have official artwork until Cipher.

Also, that sounds super salty. Ulir is no less deserving than OC's.

In terms of utility this looks like the most underwhelming mythic hero we have yet gotten. I would argue that both Legendary Lucina and especially Legendary Chrom are more useful units than her for AR. The one and only thing she has going for her is hyper offense, but anybody in the upper ranks of AR knows how little use that alone tends to be. lol Maybe is she had some gimmick like getting another action if she KOs and enemy or provided some sort of team support, but as she stands she looks to be nothing more than a burden to make light season a pain any time she is the bonus unit of the weak...

Yeah, this further validates my choice to stop trying to predict Mythics. That said, this is a pleasant curveball. 

Also, obligatory "Freyr found dead in Miami but actually was in Miami this time". They also really like pretending that Medeus and Anankos don't exist, either.

22 minutes ago, Jave said:

Alternate Title: "IntSys starts searching on Jugdral Lore for characters that can be made into good waifu material"

Alternate title to the alternate title: "Sorry about no Brigid on that last Genealogy banner, have this to tide you over"

15 minutes ago, UNLEASH IT said:

Nah, the typical OC is about as nuanced and developed as a lore character from a past game. Which is to say, they kinda aren't at all.

48 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

She does have artwork, just that it came from an artbook instead of in-game. Altina didn't even have official artwork until Cipher.

Also, that sounds super salty. Ulir is no less deserving than OC's.

Altina appears in a single still in RD

And Eir, the fairies, the dwarves and the jotun have more dialogue in FEH's story than Ullr (or Altina for that matter) had in their base games. So yes, I'd say she is less deserving.

Edited by UNLEASH IT

That is an absurdly min-maxed kit. In fact I think this is the most min-maxed unit in the game to this point.

It really says something when you're a unit on the tail-end of Gen 5 and dealing 214 with eff damage with no strings attached, but you're getting oneshot by a generic story mode mage (yes he has color advantage but come on).

I didn't expect Ullr to appear as a Mystic Hero and our first playable Crusader in Heroes. At least we know what Ullr looks like outside of the Artbooks since we don't know much of her coloring looked like till now.

Edited by King Marth 64

12 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm getting tired of Heroes doing pretty much everything it can to avoid giving us male mythic units, and female units who are equal to their male counterparts in their own or across series still get preferential treatment. And sometimes, their choice of female character doesn't even make sense, skipping over ones that would have arguably fit better.

This female streak is fucked up man.

Love the artwork! Maybe we can get all of the 12 Crusaders as Mythic Units someday! (And then Elibe's 8 Legendary Heroes as Legendary units.) The banner itself is pretty disappointing for me, since I already have most if not every one of the units, and I'm don't play for optimization and whatnot. But that's also a great thing, because the Mythic and Legendary banners this year have been brutal to me. Now I don't have to worry about trying to pull a unit, and can save up for CYL 5! 

Other Notes and whatnot - 

Rika Suzuki has done a fair bit of Genealogy artwork before, including Seliph's Awakening design (a little wonky), Sigurd's Legendary design (awesome), and Arvis' Resplendent design (awesome). And that's not mentioning the Cipher artwork. I'm not saying that Suzuki has been tapped to do the artwork in a potential FE 4 remake assuming it exists (nor am I saying I'd want Suzuki to do it), but there are worse fates.

I'd say, gonna agree there. Glad to see a Crusader in, having it be yet another female mythic is... uh huh.

And now I'm gonna be here wanting now to see all twelve in at some point...

Just now, FailWood said:

This female streak is fucked up man.

Fun fact: I looked up the artwork of the Crusaders in the Genealogy section, and just looking at the picture I can't tell whether Ullr is a woman or not. From that picture alone, with no references to Ullr as male or female in story text or elsewhere, you could easily mistake that character as a long-haired pretty boy.

18 minutes ago, FailWood said:

The female Mythic streak continues, now reaching 11 in a row.  Bramimond remains the most recent male Mythic, released back in March of 2020.  ...I will bitch about this until the streak is broken, and I'm not sorry for doing so.  This is absurd.

Implying Bramimond even counts as male.

Don’t really care much about Ullr, but Blue looks so good, since Serios and L!Dimitri are on it. I’ve been wanting another Legendary Dimitri ever since mine had -Atk. Will be pulling blue. Mila also looks tempting, but blue will be my priority.

I don't know about the Crusaders being more fitting as Mythics than the Heroes OCs, the Crusaders themselves are practically OCs as the only thing they have outside vague mentions is an old-ass picture from a guide book or something? Hel/Freyr/Freyja are gods so no arguing there, in most types of media fairies are considered as mythical creatures so they fit too regardless of how seemingly out of place they seem at first glance. The dubious OCs are Líf/Thrasir/Reginn, the first two kinda have the excuse of being powered up by Hel, but the latter should've been a Legendary as she's only a princess, imo. As for Nótt and Dagr, well they are of the giant race so they aren't really human/beorc, but I don't know if that's enough to call label them as Mythics. 

Talking about who should or should not be a Mythic aside, let's see how Ulir fares, shall we?

For starters it's rough. She's an offensive Light Mythic, and we all know those aren't really very good compared to the supports. As a ranged unit she can't help on Galeforce strats and is going to be deadweight against the ever cancerous L!Sigurd+Nótt cav lines. She's meant to counter F!Edelgard, but she isn't all that common on AR-D. Seems more of a PvE unit, which isn't all that great when you can use practically everything there. 4/10. Nice design, though.  

The rest of the banner doesn't seem all that appealing to me, so I won't go over it.

Edited by Alexmender

1 minute ago, Jave said:

Implying Bramimond even counts as male.

In that case, Lif would be the most recent male, released back in January of 2020.  Still fucked up that it's been that long ago.