Mythic Hero - Ullr: The Bowmaster

Jave

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Sunwoo said:

Fun fact: I looked up the artwork of the Crusaders in the Genealogy section, and just looking at the picture I can't tell whether Ullr is a woman or not. From that picture alone, with no references to Ullr as male or female in story text or elsewhere, you could easily mistake that character as a long-haired pretty boy.

My guess at one point would've been male, since she's named after the Nordic archery god. But then, at this point I'm not surprised due to FE's latest track record with names.

That said, looking at the artwork I can sorta see Ullr with breasts. But then the recent reveal might be skewing my vision at this point. Come to think of it... I can't even remember what I thought Ullr's gender was before this.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

My guess at one point would've been male, since she's named after the Nordic archery god. But then, at this point I'm not surprised due to FE's latest track record with names.

That said, looking at the artwork I can sorta see Ullr with breasts. But then the recent reveal might be skewing my vision at this point. Come to think of it... I can't even remember what I thought Ullr's gender was before this.

I feel like I've heard that people weren't actually sure whether Ullr was male or female, because the portrait looks androgynous and I don't recall Ullr being referred to as male or female in-text either. Like ... in my eyes Fala and Blagi also look androgynous enough to pass as either super pretty young men or a young woman, but Fala is referred to as female in-story and Blagi as a dude. Ullr ... as far as I know was never referred to as either male and female and their sole artwork doesn't make it obvious.

And it's always possible that maybe someone way back when had in mind to make Ullr a long-haired pretty boy, but that was never actually established in canon and now Ullr is a girl. Like, honestly I have no idea.

10 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Fun fact: I looked up the artwork of the Crusaders in the Genealogy section, and just looking at the picture I can't tell whether Ullr is a woman or not. From that picture alone, with no references to Ullr as male or female in story text or elsewhere, you could easily mistake that character as a long-haired pretty boy.

Well she's definitely a woman here, and if there were sex change shenanigans, then that would be worse as there's already been a lot of that with Book 5's OCs.

It does feel like IntSys is missing the mark on why people are complaining who should be a Mythic or not. No offense to Ullr because she's an acceptable choice, but it feels like they got scared of adding Freyr because he's an OC and male, and I don't know what they were thinking when making Nifl a non-Mythic.

We're not mad about OCs being Mythics, or and certainly not about some Mythics being male. We're mad about Mythics not being mythical figures. Ullr, Freyr and Nifl absolutely qualify as mythical figures. The Niðavellir and Jötunheimr siblings do not qualify. Freyr's and Freyja's fairy minions do not qualify. Hel's minions who were merely stealing the names of mythical figures do not qualify.

5 minutes ago, Some Jerk said:

We're not mad about OCs being Mythics, or and certainly not about some Mythics being male.

I'm definitely mad about the streak.  January 2020 (if you feel like being technical about Bramimond) was a long fucking time ago.

Edited by FailWood

2 minutes ago, Some Jerk said:

We're not mad about OCs being Mythics, or and certainly not about some Mythics being male. We're mad about Mythics not being mythical figures. Ullr, Freyr and Nifl absolutely qualify as mythical figures. The Niðavellir and Jötunheimr siblings do not qualify. Freyr's and Freyja's fairy minions do not qualify. Hel's minions who were merely stealing the names of mythical figures do not qualify.

Sounds about right. While I'm still not too big on OCs, I think I'd mind them much less if the ones who weren't mythical figures (like the fairies, Reginn and Jotun sisters, and Lif+Thrasir) didn't take up mythic slots. I mean, Surtr and the Muspell gang weren't legendary or mythic. Which makes them (and Ylgr) all the weirder, honestly. There is no consistency.

7 minutes ago, FailWood said:

I definitely mad about the streak.  January 2020 (if you feel like being technical about Bramimond) was a long fucking time ago.

That feel when I get quoted in the middle of editing my post because I could've worded it better

I meant to say "we're not going to be mad if a Mythic is male for a change".

Edited by Some Jerk

9 minutes ago, Some Jerk said:

We're not mad about OCs being Mythics, or and certainly not about some Mythics being male.

Some people are definitely mad about having so many OC mythics, regardless of whether or not they "deserve" it.

4 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Sounds about right. While I'm still not too big on OCs, I think I'd mind them much less if the ones who weren't mythical figures (like the fairies, Reginn and Jotun sisters, and Lif+Thrasir) didn't take up mythic slots. I mean, Surtr and the Muspell gang weren't legendary or mythic. Which makes them (and Ylgr) all the weirder, honestly. There is no consistency.

Well, mythics didn't exist for book 2, and legendaries had many more main series candidates to fill the slots. They probably didn't plan on having so many OC mythics until book 4, considering book 3 only gave us 3 (aside from freebie Eir).

3 minutes ago, Florete said:

Well, mythics didn't exist for book 2, and legendaries had many more main series candidates to fill the slots. They probably didn't plan on having so many OC mythics until book 4, considering book 3 only gave us 3 (aside from freebie Eir).

Probably. I do want to stay on-topic and not go into my OC rant here, but I don't think IS knows what they want to do with their OCs at all. They made the three oldest Nifl siblings legendaries, but not Ylgr or any of the Muspell characters. Then they made every single OC since the start of book 3 a mythic, but not Nifl even though she would actually make sense as a mythic more so than some of the others.

Whatever rules for what qualifies as a "legendary" or "mythic" hero seem to exist only for non-Heroes characters, because the Heroes OCs are apparently "whatever the devs want them to be what is rules lol"

Hopefully the "Anri and the crusaders don't have faces, they can't get in Heroes" crowd will shut up forever now.

I'm pretty happy to finally get a crusader and yet another character not in CYL. I would never have expected Ullr first, since she is one of the more minor members of a group of only minor chracters. Like, even if they wanted a waifu, Njorun and Fala are right there being way more relevant. What a bizarre choice. But it's not even the first time. We got Bramimond as the first Eight Legends member, why? If what matters is them appearing in the game shouldn't Athos come first? If what matters is being the most famous member in-universe, both Hartmut and Elimine come before him. Sometimes I think the developers do this on purpose to troll. Avoiding the obvious choice just for the sake of avoiding it and adding a character that while definitely not bad, would be the tenth choice of who to add

Sanaki is not a bad character from Tellius to add, she has a big role and lots of fans. But before everyone else? Olwen makes sense to add from Thracia, she is popular and has some plot importance. But before everyone else?

Ullr makes sense as a Mythic, she isn't less heroic than the other crusaders. But before everyone else?

29 minutes ago, Jave said:

Implying Bramimond even counts as male.

He was a man before the accident. In his life he has been both a man, and something unexplainable, probably genderless, but mostly selfless. He has never been a woman, so he definitely breaks the streak of all women before Lif does.

As a unit, I think she would have been nice if she was a regular Hero to take advantage of stat boosts. The only upside I can think of to being a Mythic is for the lower HP for Wings of Mercy. I guess she is at least better than Dagr by virtue of being ranged.

58 minutes ago, Some Jerk said:

That is an absurdly min-maxed kit. In fact I think this is the most min-maxed unit in the game to this point.

It really says something when you're a unit on the tail-end of Gen 5 and dealing 214 with eff damage with no strings attached, but you're getting oneshot by a generic story mode mage (yes he has color advantage but come on).

Not a bad kit, but considering the current meta and for future proofing, Ruptured Sky would have been more optimal in my opinion for spamming Specials and to scale off of the opponent's Atk, and that also frees up the C slot for Fatal Smoke.

Being colorless would have also been a bit more ideal too.

Edited by XRay

Uhhhhhhhh hold the bowstring, Yewfelle isn't even in the game, why are we already skipping ahead to Holy Yewfelle?

Anyway... interesting that they specifically zoom in on the enemy being hit with Deadeye when... well, it's not really that exciting. So she's doing double damage... so? That's what Deadeye does, why bring attention to the enemy in that moment?

Ullr herself has an interesting B passive. Aside from making LegCelica's B passive a joke in comparison, it makes me wonder if maybe she could run a Brave Bow nuke set simply by virtue of being able to get 4 hits in before the enemy can hit her once? It's something literally any BB unit can do yes, but they all require setup to do it, whereas Ullr doesn't. Something to think about when we get her final statline...

The rest of the banner is... alright I guess? I mean they're all good units, but it's not like I'm clamoring to get copies of anyone present... especially when we're only a few weeks away from CYL.

...maybe that's why they're going with an otherwise unknown character for this Mythic? Lowkey telling us to save our orbs for the CYL banner?

Never played the Jugdral games but I'm a fan of this choice of Mythic simply on the basis that her design/art looks amazing. On the other hand, her Deadeye/Time's Pulse are tempting for foddering since I've only ever pulled 1 Shinon. 

Also missing both L!Sigurd and L!Seliph, and I'd also like to further build up Seiros and L!Dimitri, so sounds like I'll be pulling strictly Red and Blue. 

25 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

Anyway... interesting that they specifically zoom in on the enemy being hit with Deadeye when... well, it's not really that exciting. So she's doing double damage... so? That's what Deadeye does, why bring attention to the enemy in that moment?

That's just Deadeye's visual effect.

Well that was out of left field. Still, the crusaders do have a chance in Heroes! Nice. Also wow is that art gorgeous.

I believe Anakos’ dragon form’s Japanese voice actor has passed away, and I hear he may never get in the game out of respect, but I can’t say for certain.

23 minutes ago, TuxedoBird said:

I believe Anakos’ dragon form’s Japanese voice actor has passed away, and I hear he may never get in the game out of respect, but I can’t say for certain.

Yeah, he (Rokuro Naya) passed away before Fates was even released in Japan. He was also Gunter, but they apparently got around that in Heroes by just reusing the voice lines they already had from Fates. 

Eh, I get why she's blue, but it still annoys me that we have so many Legendary/Mythic infantry blue bows now.

I'm also kind of annoyed that she has Life and Death 4 instead of Atk/Spd Ideal 4.

Ichii-bal canonically has Renewal on it, which would have paired perfectly with Atk/Spd Ideal, and being a glass cannon with Desperation without a condition, she shouldn't be taking damage in the first place (but healing would be useful for dealing with out-of-combat damage).

The "kind of" is just the fact that we haven't had any easy-to-get sources of Life and Death 4 until now, and I'd like to get some copies of the skill. I'll probably still prioritize merges over skill inheritance, but I might be willing to give up 2 copies for Legendary Julia and Legendary Lilina.

Time's Pulse is so over-distributed, especially on Legendary/Mythic Heroes, it's not even funny. It's appeared on 8 units in the almost exactly 2 years that it has been out (Sothis was the July Mythic of 2019), and 4 of them have been Legendary/Mythic Heroes. Sure, it's not as egregious as Swift Sparrow 2, which as been on 36 units since its release 3 years and 11 months ago, or Swift Sparrow 3, which as been on 13 units in the last 2 years and 1 month, but it's still a lot.

It's also worth noting that this is a prefixed version of Ichii-bal, and unless I'm forgetting something, the last (and only) time we got a prefixed weapon before we got its standard form was Missiletainn, which had its standard form released the month after. So... maybe another Jugdral banner with either Briggid or Faval soon?

Having to pick between Ulir, Nifl, and Summer Freyja is annoying. I'll probably pull for 3 or 4 copies and then figure out what to do from there. I'm right now considering going up to +5 and then bailing, like I did with Byleth, but we'll see.

Dimitri and Seiros as pitybreakers are pretty nice, considering I'm low on merges for both of them, but neither of them are particularly amazing for skill fodder. Tempest skills compete with Time's Pulse, Fatal Smoke, Pulse Smoke, and Joint Drives for their skill slot, and Dragon Wall is strong, but extremely niche.

Will snipe blue with priority for blue-less boards going to red, then colorless, then green. As much as I'd like more copies of Louise, I don't need more copies of Eir, whereas I can use more copies of all of the red units.

5 hours ago, Florete said:

By the way, the name has two L's, no I.

I assume at least some of those are mistakes, but I'll likely continue spelling it "Ulir" out of habit because that's her official name in Japanese and is a rare case that it actually appeared in game, as the names of the holy bloods appeared in Latin characters on the status screen.

Edited by Ice Dragon

4 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

She does have artwork, just that it came from an artbook instead of in-game. Altina didn't even have official artwork until Cipher.

Also, that sounds super salty. Ulir is no less deserving than OC's.

CG - Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn - 37 - Ashera, Soan ...

Official in game artwork of Altina existed btw. 
Her Feh artwork is rather faithful.

So like I'm sure many people have mentioned already "Oh wow another female, how surprising." And while I echo the sentiment and think they could have easily chosen another crusader (why us Ullr getting into the game before Brigid and Faval! She should be a mythic who later power creeps them! Give us Hezl or Baldr), one thing I actually want to point out, is that I think this is the first confirmation that Ullr actually is female. I remember it being ambiguous before. I guess this-

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/f/fc/Ulir.JPG

-looks pretty female on retrospect, but I can see boyish elements to the design that might have obfuscated people.

Also yeah, it's not just Altina and potentially Soan who are special cases. Looks like all the legacy characters are on the table now. Well all the ones with female genitalia XD

EDIT: And now quickly glancing at the thread I see I'm not the only one to actually bring up the point of her previously ambiguous gender. Probably should have read it first, but still, I wanted to record my initial reaction, so no regrets.

34 minutes ago, Vicious Sal said:

Official in game artwork of Altina existed btw. 
Her Feh artwork is rather faithful.

Rather faithful to the random art book here too from the looks of it. She has that shell necklace thing, the hoop earrings, the up turned collar. It seems more like she had a kind of vest in the artwork and she had a glove on her dominant hand in the artwork while it seems to be the inverse here (that makes little sense to me, I'm pretty sure the whole point of the glove is to protect from the bowstring). And while it's hard to see, she even has a circlet in her original artwork that was maintained in Heroes. So a pretty accurate job over all. I guess we can expect similar efforts from the rest of the Crusaders. Kind of makes me curious to see how they'll handle Hanon, Hartmut and Barigan should they add any of them, since art of them exists as barely more than silhouettes.

Edited by Jotari

4 hours ago, Xenomata said:

Uhhhhhhhh hold the bowstring, Yewfelle isn't even in the game, why are we already skipping ahead to Holy Yewfelle?

because they most likely want to give regular Yewfelle to base Brigid whenever they release her

anyway, i'm pleasantly surprised with Ulir of Jungby (i absolutely refuse to call her Ullr of Yngvi), mostly because this implies Seti and the other Crusaders, or even characters such as Soan actually have a chance to become Mythic heroes, although i'm don't expect ALL Crusaders to actually become Mythic heroes

5 minutes ago, Yexin said:

because they most likely want to give regular Yewfelle to base Brigid whenever they release her

I think the statement is more, why are we jumping to Ulir before putting the actual Yewfelle users from Genealogy into the game.