Q's about Awakening mods (male Pegasus Knight class mod attempt LOL)

So I'm like 2000000% a noob to modding, which I tried diving into just so I could use the Gay Awakening mod, but in the midst of that, I wanted to be able to mod the class sets so male units could get female restricted classes (mostly Dark Flier on M!Robin) and vice versa.

I know this is doable, but I've seen that by doing this, the class/character model ends up being a male unit's head on a female body LOL. Is there a way to fix this ? Would I have to mod the textures or something ?

EDIT: Successfully made a male Pegasus Knight class mod

EDIT: (from my latest reply in case anyone hasn't seen) 

I seem to be having a problem downloading the DLC ? I tried buying a map but I keep getting an error code, and I'm assuming that it's because my 3DS is now hacked/modded.

I thought it was my card getting declined at first, but I have 2 3DS's and tested it out on my other non-hacked 3DS with my SoV cart and it worked fine. I'm hoping to play Apotheosis after I finish my playthrough, so is there a way to fix this ?

Edited by LJ_Tenma

Unless you know how to actually make and import models that work in Fire Emblem Awakening specifically (which I hear you need dev tools for), you can, at best, have the opposite-sex versions of gender-exclusive classes use the same model as other classes, e.g. male pegasus knight model using the male wyvern knight model.  I believe this is primarily done through creating a new class entry for each gender-exclusive class and then going into Asset Definitions and setting the models and stuff to use those of the model you intend to use, all in Paragon.

16 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Unless you know how to actually make and import models that work in Fire Emblem Awakening specifically (which I hear you need dev tools for), you can, at best, have the opposite-sex versions of gender-exclusive classes use the same model as other classes, e.g. male pegasus knight model using the male wyvern knight model.  I believe this is primarily done through creating a new class entry for each gender-exclusive class and then going into Asset Definitions and setting the models and stuff to use those of the model you intend to use, all in Paragon.

Thanks for your answer ! I figured it would be difficult/next to impossible to edit the actual model, but I think I'll try my hand at using an existing class model. I tried installing Paragon, but whenever I try to boot it, nothing but a blank black window pops up. Am I missing something ?

I have the game dumped and everything, but I can't seem to figure anything out.

btw I apologize for my absolute newbieness to this, I'm totally new to modding and dumping 💀

EDIT: I figured out how to work Paragon haha. My only problem rn is trying to get the custom class in the game.

Edited by LJ_Tenma

UPDATE! I was successfully able to implement a male Pegasus Knight class line !

It took a LOT of trial and error, and before today I literally had absolutely 0 knowledge on modding and hacking, but I was able to mod a custom male Pegasus Knight class line !

The Pegasus Knight class uses the Wyvern Rider armor, Falcon Knight uses Wyvern Lord armor, and Dark Flier uses Griffon Rider armor. Everything else about the class line (growths, skills, etc) are the same with its original female counterpart. I'm hoping to create a Troubadour class line for males as well as Warrior for females as well.

However, I do have a couple of problems. The first being that the map sprite appears to be blank/empty. I'm trying to find a way to fix this, but I'm having a hard time LOL.

My second problem is that I can't seem to get it to overlap with the Gay Awakening mod. It seems to be connected with the static.bin.lz file, but I can't be so sure. Are there any tips on how to use these two mods in tandem? Any tips would be appreciated !

227661544_1149351892228495_6767369383154993593_n.thumb.jpg.410a82f6b36dc0c1fa2e150d34cba03d.jpg

Edited by LJ_Tenma

4 hours ago, LJ_Tenma said:

UPDATE! I was successfully able to implement a male Pegasus Knight class line !

It took a LOT of trial and error, and before today I literally had absolutely 0 knowledge on modding and hacking, but I was able to mod a custom male Pegasus Knight class line !

The Pegasus Knight class uses the Wyvern Rider armor, Falcon Knight uses Wyvern Lord armor, and Dark Flier uses Griffon Rider armor. Everything else about the class line (growths, skills, etc) are the same with its original female counterpart. I'm hoping to create a Troubadour class line for males as well as Warrior for females as well.

However, I do have a couple of problems. The first being that the map sprite appears to be blank/empty. I'm trying to find a way to fix this, but I'm having a hard time LOL.

My second problem is that I can't seem to get it to overlap with the Gay Awakening mod. It seems to be connected with the static.bin.lz file, but I can't be so sure. Are there any tips on how to use these two mods in tandem? Any tips would be appreciated !

Congrats on your first success.  Just figuring out how this stuff works really is the biggest hurdle in doing some general modding.

With the sprite being blank, I think you have to go into the Class menu of Paragon and change the BMap icon to something appropriate.  I think through this way the character will use the generic class sprite unless you change the BMap icon to that of a class the character has.

As for the second issue... unfortunately that's just something that you'll have to do a manual workaround for.  By that, I mean you're gonna need to go through the Character data and add back in every support option that Gay Awakening added.  Thankfully you don't have to also port every single support conversation, as the support conversations are a different set of data altogether, but it'll still be kinda tedious, particularly if you want to stay faithful to the mod's support options.  From experience, I know there are certain files that the gay mods for both Fates and Awakening modify which kinda mess with how Paragon handles mods.  I could go into more depth, but the gist is I believe it revolves around the GameData.bin.lz file that's in the "data" directory.

If there was a .json file for Gay Awakening (the kind of file that's produced for any mod you make in Paragon), it'd be a simple matter to just load up that file in Paragon and make any additional modifications you want.  But AFAIK there's no such file anywhere.

3 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Congrats on your first success.  Just figuring out how this stuff works really is the biggest hurdle in doing some general modding.

With the sprite being blank, I think you have to go into the Class menu of Paragon and change the BMap icon to something appropriate.  I think through this way the character will use the generic class sprite unless you change the BMap icon to that of a class the character has.

Haha thanks, it was an even bigger hurdle that there were very little tutorials on how any of this works, and even most of the CFW installation tutorials you can find on Google are outdated.

So, I've been messing around with the sprites and I can't seem to fix it. I have the BMap sprites set for Wyvern Rider/Wyvern Lord/Griffon Rider for Pegasus/Falcon/Dark Flier respectively, but they still seem to show up as empty on the battle maps. I tried experimenting with Virion since he has Wyvern Rider in his class set (therefore having a sprite for the class), but he still pops up as an empty sprite in his join chapter.

I tried with Robin as well, and he pops up with his basic Tactician sprite for the tutorial with Chrom and Validar, but his battle model is Pegasus Knight strangely haha. But once it gets to the first battle when Frederick and them join, Robin ends up with an empty sprite.

I've only found one tutorial/guide on how to create custom classes with Paragon, but it's geared for Fates and I don't think it applies to Awakening that well.

3 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

As for the second issue... unfortunately that's just something that you'll have to do a manual workaround for.  By that, I mean you're gonna need to go through the Character data and add back in every support option that Gay Awakening added.  Thankfully you don't have to also port every single support conversation, as the support conversations are a different set of data altogether, but it'll still be kinda tedious, particularly if you want to stay faithful to the mod's support options.  From experience, I know there are certain files that the gay mods for both Fates and Awakening modify which kinda mess with how Paragon handles mods.  I could go into more depth, but the gist is I believe it revolves around the GameData.bin.lz file that's in the "data" directory.

If there was a .json file for Gay Awakening (the kind of file that's produced for any mod you make in Paragon), it'd be a simple matter to just load up that file in Paragon and make any additional modifications you want.  But AFAIK there's no such file anywhere.

Man this is gonna be tedious LOL. I was kinda worried that setting the romantic supports manually wouldn't trigger the S-Support conversations installed from the Gay Awakening hack, but thankfully it's a different set a data as you said haha.

6 minutes ago, LJ_Tenma said:

Haha thanks, it was an even bigger hurdle that there were very little tutorials on how any of this works, and even most of the CFW installation tutorials you can find on Google are outdated.

Yeah, I know how that feels, lmao

7 minutes ago, LJ_Tenma said:

So, I've been messing around with the sprites and I can't seem to fix it. I have the BMap sprites set for Wyvern Rider/Wyvern Lord/Griffon Rider for Pegasus/Falcon/Dark Flier respectively, but they still seem to show up as empty on the battle maps. I tried experimenting with Virion since he has Wyvern Rider in his class set (therefore having a sprite for the class), but he still pops up as an empty sprite in his join chapter.

Yeah, honestly the way spriting in this game works completely escapes me.  One time I tried to make a custom class, and it suffered from basically the same issue as you described.  Most other things I was able to figure out, but not the spriting.

9 minutes ago, LJ_Tenma said:

I've only found one tutorial/guide on how to create custom classes with Paragon, but it's geared for Fates and I don't think it applies to Awakening that well.

They... kinda operate in somewhat similar ways, but the games still seem to use slightly different engines.  Pretty sure Fates has a more robust suite of modding tools - heck, it even has more options in Paragon.  Granted, part of that is probably due to Fates being a more complicated game than Awakening, but still, it seems to be a substantially more popular game to mod than Awakening.  Though tbh 3DS modding in general is kinda small and scattered, and I think it has only picked up steam in recent years due to the console officially being dead to Nintendo.

21 minutes ago, LJ_Tenma said:

Man this is gonna be tedious LOL.

Believe me, I know, lmao.  When I wanted to modify just a handful of things, I ended up having to modify all the supports for both Awakening and Fates.  I may not seem it by my mannerisms, but I have worn myself down immensely learning how to mod console-based games.  Just last week I spent two entire days (not counting bedtime, of course) trying to install some mods on Zelda: Breath of the Wild on Wii U.  There are times where I've wondered if what I'm trying is even worth it, but then when I succeed I can at least enjoy the modded games for as long as I have them.

34 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Yeah, honestly the way spriting in this game works completely escapes me.  One time I tried to make a custom class, and it suffered from basically the same issue as you described.  Most other things I was able to figure out, but not the spriting.

It's honestly giving me a headache rn omfg 💀 It seems straightforward, but nothing seems to be working lol

36 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

They... kinda operate in somewhat similar ways, but the games still seem to use slightly different engines.  Pretty sure Fates has a more robust suite of modding tools - heck, it even has more options in Paragon.  Granted, part of that is probably due to Fates being a more complicated game than Awakening, but still, it seems to be a substantially more popular game to mod than Awakening.  Though tbh 3DS modding in general is kinda small and scattered, and I think it has only picked up steam in recent years due to the console officially being dead to Nintendo.

I've noticed that actually haha, like majority--if not all--of the things I've seen about modding FE 3DS games are geared for Fates. Imma be honest, I do enjoy Fates more than Awakening, but since Fates already lacked the gender-restrictions on classes, I didn't feel the need to mod it (I mean I could have done with better gay marriage options, but that's an easy mod).

One thing I noticed while looking around Paragon, under the BMap sprite section, it appears that each character has their own specific sprite for their class sets (like I found files named "Pegasus Knight Maribelle" and "Wyvern Rider Virion" cause thankfully I know at least some Japanese LOL). However with Fates, I read that the sprites use a character's head and plasters it on top of the class body sprite.

I'm not 100% sure if these files are their map sprites, but what I'm gonna attempt is duplicate these files and rename them with the male Pegasus Knight ID, but I'm not sure if this will work at all LOL. I don't even know if these will even link to the class.

47 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Believe me, I know, lmao.  When I wanted to modify just a handful of things, I ended up having to modify all the supports for both Awakening and Fates.  I may not seem it by my mannerisms, but I have worn myself down immensely learning how to mod console-based games.  Just last week I spent two entire days (not counting bedtime, of course) trying to install some mods on Zelda: Breath of the Wild on Wii U.  There are times where I've wondered if what I'm trying is even worth it, but then when I succeed I can at least enjoy the modded games for as long as I have them.

Dang that's dedication haha. Imma be honest tho, yesterday was my first time even attempting to mod, and I spent my whole day from after work until I went to bed trying to get this mod to work properly, so you're not alone LOL

So my male Pegasus Knight mod seemed to be pretty successful. The sprites work perfectly fine, though I'm only using Robin in the class. I opted to use the Pegasus sprites rather than Wyvern because the gender of the Pegasus sprites look pretty ambiguous, so I think it passes just fine as a unisex sprite.

Here's some pics of how it turned out:

Spoiler

mPegasusKnight.thumb.jpg.5d78f09d9e5d32755e5ba78b43fd7b09.jpg

Pegasus Knight (Wyvern Rider battle model)

mFalconKnight.thumb.jpg.f70d4924ac6c089e0bf6009bfb2d0bb5.jpg

Falcon Knight (Griffon Rider battle model)

mDarkFlier.thumb.jpg.208ed58bb5e7fd58b42138f06eba3a59.jpg

Dark Flier (Dark Mage battle model) -- I initially used the Wyvern Lord battle model, but I found that the Dark Mage outfit matches much better.

On another note: I seem to be having a problem downloading the DLC ? I tried buying a map but I keep getting an error code, and I'm assuming that it's because my 3DS is now hacked/modded.

I thought it was my card getting declined at first, but I have 2 3DS's and tested it out on my other non-hacked 3DS and it worked fine. I'm hoping to play Apotheosis after I finish my playthrough, so is there a way to fix this ?

Edited by LJ_Tenma