Fire Emblem 5 Randomiser

Kalieum

(I initially put this in the wrong subforum due to not being able to create a thread in Fan Projects, but it has since been moved.)

So without any further ado, last year I made a FE5 randomiser, but it used a command-line interface, was incredibly cumbersome to use, and on account of me only releasing on reddit and not thinking about SEO at all (I called it a Thracia randomiser and didn't mention Fire Emblem 5 or FE5 at all), I think it rather left general awareness.

More recently I've come back to it, adding a few extra options, some QOL updates, some bugfixes, and most importantly, I've added a proper GUI so it should actually be more-or-less as usable as randomisers for other games I've used.

Features

Well, I cannot figure out how to do one of those collapsible sections I've seen in other posts, so I guess I'm just going to regurgitate some screenshots right into the middle of this post to show the settings. Sorry?

screen1.pngscreen2.pngscreen3.pngscreen4.png

And here're some in-game screenshots.

game1.png

(Don't mind the reordered menu, that's a silly optional setting)

game2.png

game3.png

game4.png

It should work with any regular Thracia 776 rom, but I've specifically tested with both a vanilla untranslated rom and Lil' Manster 1.07

Downloads (Dropbox):

.py file

Windows executable

The former download can be used if you have Python 3 on your system, and also serves as the source code download if you want to check it's not doing anything shady. The executable should work if you don't have python, and was generated using PyInstaller 4.4, with the --onefile argument.

While I've tried to find and fix bugs, chances are there'll be some bugs still because I can only test so much and there's a stupidly vast number of combinations of settings possible, and there's no way for me to find things like 'ch23 venin tome event gives Alphand a weapon he can't use' without actually playing the game through. Find bugs, lemme know, I'll try and fix them.

Update History:

Spoiler

(4/6/2022)
Fixed Prfs can appear in shops setting not working.
Changed file paths to forward slashes to hopefully work with non-windows systems.
Randomiser now assigns unused Darkness Lance as if it were a C rank weapon.
With unused weapons not in the boss pool, Darkness Lance is now swapped out for a Steel Lance instead of a potentially-unusable Silver Lance
Non-flier Mallock now starts moving on turn 6 (up from turn 2)
Fixed randomiser setting Kempf's class to Rumei's dismounted class.

(6/1/2022)
1.3.0.1:
Should now properly detect Lil' Manster versions with optional patches applied.
1.3.0.2:
Fixed 1.3.0.1 detecting 1.04, 1.05 and 1.08 as 1.07.

(5/1/2022)
1.3:
Lil' Manster 1.08 compatibility
Improved layout (text and pop-up windows should now be more centered)
'Don't show again' option added to Randomise all settings warning + new 1.08 scroll/QoL growth display warning.

(16/12/2021)
1.2.3:
Fixed bug where not randomising player character classes resulted in their class weapon bases being written into their personal weapon rank bases.

(30/09/2021)
1.2.2.1:
Setting to start with Restore and Warp staff option now also controls the guaranteed early staff logic, allowing for a slightly more true randomised experience at the user's choice.

(27/08/2021)
1.2.2:
Randomiser logic now guaranteed to give you a staff user by the start of chapter 8 (unless t1 class pool contains no staff-using classes)
Updated tooltip of start with utility staves option.

(20/08/2021)
1.2.1:
Added option to start with a Restore staff and a Warp staff.
Remembered Thoron exists in the complimentary-normal-range-tome-for-rewarpers bit in the previous version
Fixed Marty starting with a Member Card even if items aren't randomised and it's available in ch18. (He's supposed to start with it otherwise)
Fixed unlocking prfs (making them all B rank) without randomising player unit classes resulting in e.g. Finn having no usable lances.

1.2.0 - Mostly aimed at addressing some more egregiously unfair enemy loadouts
Added option to forbid enemy status weapons on generic enemies until a specified chapter
Removed all status staves from ch5 & 6 Raydrik & Veld's inventories
Recruitable enemies now respect the unused weapons/(unlocked) prfs in boss weapon pool setting for their initial equipment (defaulting to no if bosses aren't randomised, disabling the setting)
Fixed enemies swapping a Meteor tome out for a non-siege tome due to the siege tome replacement setting swapping out for Bolganone if unused weapons enabled, even if not allowed into the relevant enemy weapon pool.
Fixed randomise all settings button being able to select a removed setting.
Fixed randomiser crash introduced last version when ch18's dancers became a staff class.
Hard capped generic enemy status staves at 2 per chapter.
Non-poison status weapons rolled to generic enemies (Berserk Edge, Sleep Edge, Blizzard) have increasing odds of being replaced with a non-status weapon for each successive status weapon in that chapter.
Tweaked odds of dark mage types being forced to have a dark tome.
Fixed dark mage types forced to have a dark tome forgetting they also have a staff rank.
Generics who roll rewarp with a siege tome now get a complimentary 1-2 range tome.
Fixed bottom right enemy reinforcement in ch14 using the wrong character data (again).

(15/08/2021)
Tooltip no longer claims Luck is capped at 30 at highest.
Fixed typos in tooltips.
Leif/Finn/Safy/Linoan's fallback class (no valid class left in class pool after accounting for their restrictions) being Paladin rather than Cavalier.

Randomise enemies not by group option removed. It was the cause of too many problems.
Liszt's squad in ch13 can no longer roll mages or magic swords/armourslayers/master swords/status swords/master axes/brave axes
Liszt himself is prevented from rolling certain high power classes.

These ch13 tweaks may still need further adjustment. Please let me know if it seems impossible to keep Glade alive and stop Tahra from being seized before the rest of the army can get there.

(14/08/2021)
Status weapons can no longer appear at all in chapter 3, as inflicted status aren't cleared on the units that leave your party.

Crusader scrolls can no longer be assigned to both Olwen visits and Not-Olwen visits the ch12 village if they're all supposed to appear once each.

(12/08/2021)
Fixed randomising generic enemies but not by group causing them to not respect whether they should be a promoted unit or not.

Fixed randomising generic enemies not by group causing ch5 pitfighter reinforcements, Mareeta, Galzus to all appear on enemy phase 1.(13/08/2021)
Randomised prf locks can no longer give Eyvel Kia prf.
Fixed randomiser crash trying to update item descriptions of prfs to reflect randomised locks when nobody got assigned that prf due to no-one using that weapon type.

Minor Update (1.0.1.2):

Added message window to clarify that Randomise All Settings button isn't expected to result in playable settings without manual tweaking.
Randomise all settings button now generates zero leadership/movement star weightings for above 5 stars.
ASM extension to cap Miracle activation at 90% is applied if main stat cap is set above 20 at all (from 30), due to weapons with +10 Luck making that relevant with lower caps.
Clarified and added some tooltips.

Edited by Kalieum

Now updated to 1.3, bringing most importantly compatibility with Lil' Manster 1.08, along with minor layout improvements and the ability to permanently suppress the Randomise All warning message.

With thanks to Miacis for their assistance with accounting for the changes in the new Lil' Manster version.

(I've been quietly updating the version history in the main post rather than making a new reply with each version because just replying to myself feels silly, but there've been a fair few updates between the initial post and now, notably removing the basically broken 'randomise enemies not by group' option, preventing entire squads of enemies all having status staves and sleeping your entire army, and the option to be guaranteed a staffer by chapter 8 along with starting with a Warp and Restore staff.)

• 5 weeks later...

Heya, I don't know if you could help but I may be having some problems with the randomizer atm. so I tried using the randomizer but it would come up with an error. so I'm not sure if I'm using a rom that is incorrect or something else. but I'll inculde a screenshot of it to show proof. any help would be appreciated.

image.png.16b360f8a9a02d13c758a7bd7c7676fb.png

Edited by Enskyer

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry about the late response, I didn't see the notification for your message.

So that's a permissions error; for whatever reason, the randomiser doesn't have permission to create the output files in its directory. Is the folder itself read-only maybe? To be honest, it sounds like the problem is something specific to settings on your machine, so I'm not sure what to suggest. I can confirm it's not a problem with your input rom, though.

• 7 months later...

If you take suggestions - I would add cap for number of classes distributed for joinable units. In one roll I ended up with Halval, Othis, Litis, Brighton, Macha, Lara, Karin, Fergus all beign mages or clerics. 🤣