Story tropes that you generally hate, but specific exceptions you like/love/at least hate less

henrymidfields

3 hours ago, Ghost_06_ said:

Another trope I don't like: dead people showing up and talking to the characters. One example I like, though, is Seliph's conversation with Sigurd and Deirdre at the end of Genealogy of the Holy War. It's needed to flesh out his character in a game where there aren't many possibilities for it.

I recently read of an instance wherein the dead people talking, weren't actually the dead people themselves. Rather, it was personalities assembled out of the memories of people who had known those dead people. And the weird thing was that in the first of the two instances the game used this, the living person had never actually met the individual who was generated from the memories.

-Just sharing, to see if that is disagreeable to you.

46 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I recently read of an instance wherein the dead people talking, weren't actually the dead people themselves. Rather, it was personalities assembled out of the memories of people who had known those dead people. And the weird thing was that in the first of the two instances the game used this, the living person had never actually met the individual who was generated from the memories.

-Just sharing, to see if that is disagreeable to you.

Dreams, hallucinations, etc. are okay as long as they're not too on the nose.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/11/2021 at 2:56 AM, Ottservia said:

You guys really are just a bunch of cowards. The appeal of a tsundere is in that contrast from tsun to dere. If the tsundere is calling you the stupidest man on earth then you’re doing something right.

Only if it's Yukari from Persona 3. Because that at least shows (close-to-)real-life ramifications of why she's like that and how it is emotionally unhealthy for her. Yukari...also having an elabourate, complicated, and fully-fleshed personality on par with most other Persona characters also helps.

Actually, no, sorry. Felix from 3H is another one that I actually like. There, people actually call out his behaviour as worst practice to good teamwork, and Felix often has good/valid points about the shortcomings of Blue Lions or Faerghussian society. If anything, given how most of the protagonistic characters of FE are goody two shoes, I actually wish Felix went even further with his jerkass devil-advocate's behaviour.

One-note villains are starting to get too boring for me. Validar, Garon, Iago, and Hans especially. But for some reason, I...actually like Valter in Sacred Stones. I don't know why, but I always get a sense of thrill when I see him on the scene. Outside of FE, I never minded the Pokemon villians (which are generally even more one-note than FE villains are), and to this day, I still love Sakaki/Giovanni and his "experience a world of pain" speech. 

Edited by henrymidfields