Vaida not appearing bug?

Oswin II

I'm playing cog of destiny at the moment and it seems I can't trigger the wyvern rider reinforcements no matter how hard I try, making it impossible to recruit Vaida. I've killed all enemies except Linus and I've been moving units all across the map for dozens of turns and the wyvern reinforcements still wont appear even though I go into the zone that is supposed to trigger them. Anybody Have any idea what's going on? Also to be clear I did not kill her in the earlier chapter where she appears so that is not the reason why she wont appear.

1 hour ago, Faellin said:

Did you somehow kill her in her previous chapter appearance?

The OP said they didn't. So it has to be something else.

That's... very odd. I seriously doubt you didn't, but I'll ask just in case: you did walk inside of the reinforcement trigger zone right? Here's some maps:

https://www.fireemblemwod.com/fe7/guiafe7/ENG_cap29h.htm (EM/HNM)

https://www.fireemblemwod.com/fe7/hhm/ENG_cap29.htm (HHM)

There's a few enemies inside of the zone that don't move from their starting position unless you enter it, so if you killed them all sans the boss you most likely did go into it and Vaida should spawn the very next player phase, but I thought I might as well ask.

If you did, then I'm stumped. That's one hell of a strange bug, I've never seen Vaida and co. not spawn or heard of anyone else that has encountered this bug. You'd have to go really far out of your way to kill every single enemy sitting inside the reinforcement trigger zone in one turn in order to prevent Vaida from spawning. All you could do at this point is either kill the boss and move on (honestly not a big loss; Vaida is good but she only has like 2 more maps left where she can contribute) or reset the map and pray it doesn't happen again.

Edited by GonzoMD1993

To answer some questions. I didn't kill her and I walked into her reinforcement zone several times and she didn't spawn. Also even if I did kill her there should still be wyvern rider reinforcements but they don't spawn either. So honestly I'm pretty confused.

I tried googling about this bug but I found nothing of use. The typical resource sites (WOD, both wikis, this very site) don't mention any conditions under which the Wyverns would not spawn. To my knowledge, the only way for the Wyverns not to spawn is to rout the map on the same turn you cross the reinforcement line. Even killing the boss doesn't stop them from spawning, which is a major oddity in a game where killing the boss stops reinforcements in most maps and even IN Cog of Destiny all the reinforcements other than the Wyverns stop once you kill Lloyd/Linus. The game basically makes sure you can't skip on Vaida spawning by accident, so this just has to be a really weird bug.

Having utterly no idea of what happened even after searching, I still think you should either restart the map (I doubt the same bug will happen twice), and if that fails, just move on without Vaida. Victory or Death is her only really good map anyway, you're not missing out on much.

I restarted the map and she spawned this time. The only thing I can think of that I did differently this time was that I did not visit the village before entering her spawn zone. Maybe this has something to do with it or maybe it's just a coincidence, who knows.

Pure speculation on my part - is it possible that this was caused by the enemy cap? I believe GBA FE can only have up to 50 enemies on the map, and reinforcements beyond that don't spawn. I know this is a thing in BinBla, since it's easy to notice in the big battle against Murdock, but I'm not entirely sure if it's present in BlaBla and SacSto. But if it is, it wouldn't be out of the world to reach 50 enemies if you trigger multiple reinforcement zones on Cog in quick succession.

It would be strange if OP was the first player to run into this issue, though, given how old the game is and that it wouldn't be too difficult to run into this issue.

46 minutes ago, ping said:

Pure speculation on my part - is it possible that this was caused by the enemy cap? I believe GBA FE can only have up to 50 enemies on the map, and reinforcements beyond that don't spawn. I know this is a thing in BinBla, since it's easy to notice in the big battle against Murdock, but I'm not entirely sure if it's present in BlaBla and SacSto. But if it is, it wouldn't be out of the world to reach 50 enemies if you trigger multiple reinforcement zones on Cog in quick succession.

It would be strange if OP was the first player to run into this issue, though, given how old the game is and that it wouldn't be too difficult to run into this issue.

That's definitely a thing in BlaBla, and I've seen it myself on Cog.

3 hours ago, ping said:

Considering Advance Wars had a 50 unit per side cap in the same era, and Thracia 776 two FEs ago did (the defense of Tahra readily runs into the issue), it is entirely plausible that Blazing would have it.

Alright, I went to do some testing and found out some interesting things. First of all:

19 hours ago, ping said:

This is 100% confirmed. No matter what I did, the enemy count never went above 50. Conveniently, this game shows a counter of how many enemies are left in rout maps so I didn't have to manually count how many enemy units were left. If at the end of the Enemy Phase there are 50 enemies on the map, any reinforcements that were supposed to appear do not spawn. If there are less than 50 enemies left but there's still not enough space for all the reinforcements to spawn, then the enemies will spawn in a predetermined order and once you reach the cap of 50 the remaining reinforcements will not spawn.

I tested this in HHM, but its possible the spawning order is the same in other modes. What I found out though is that the enemies spawn in this order:

1)The 4 Valkyries from the top-right forts

2)The Wyverns from the bottom-right corner of the map (including Vaida on the first wave)

3)The Druid and 2 Shamans from the forts on the left side of the map

4)The Bishop and 2 Monks from the forts in the center of the map.

Among the Wyverns, Vaida takes priority over the other 2 Wyverns. This means that at the end of the Enemy Phase there must be 45 or less enemies alive for Vaida to spawn if you're on a turn where Valkyries spawn, or 49 or less enemies alive if no Valkyries spawn on that turn.

If on the 3 turns where Wyverns are supposed to spawn you're at the enemy unit cap at the end of Enemy Phase (or at 46 enemies alive on turns where Valkyries spawn) you will never see any Wyverns at all. Although this may be evident, I will still point out that Vaida can only spawn with the first wave of Wyverns. If she doesn't spawn in the 1st wave because of the enemy cap, even if you make enough space for the full 2nd and 3rd wave to spawn only regular Wyverns will appear without Vaida.

19 hours ago, Oswin II said:

The only thing I can think of that I did differently this time was that I did not visit the village before entering her spawn zone. Maybe this has something to do with it or maybe it's just a coincidence, who knows.

Just to be sure, I tested this as well. However, from what I could see the village and the Wyvern reinforcements are unrelated. I saw another post in a 6 year old gamefaqs thread saying something similar (that if the village is destroyed then the Wyverns don't spawn). I tested both rushing into the reinforcement trigger zone without touching the village and intentionally letting the village be destroyed before walking into the zone, and in both cases Vaida and all of the Wyverns appeared no problem.

I think that the most likely case here was that you didn't kill enough enemy units in the turn that you crossed the reinforcement line for the Wyverns and then Vaida couldn't spawn because of the enemy unit cap. 

Edited by GonzoMD1993