This game really seems to hate you for trying to finish quickly

Mars of Aritia

Especially in the late game, on lunatic at least, i remember hard mode felt much more reasonable. This game seems to want you to play as slow as possible, as most of the time you can't deal enough damage at once to kill all the enemies in range. and if you do manage to cut through and sprint along to the objective, a ton of reinforcements will come out that hit half of the map while you're out of position and trap you.

the game also seems to want you to divide your forces, which is a death sentence as your guys usually can't deal enough damage divided, so the best strategy seems to put everyone on one side and phalanx across the map, taking twice as long to complete as it should.

examples of some of these annoyances:

9: aka the killer of blind runs. go near the boss room? out come a ton of reinforcements covering the whole map and will kill your likely out of position dancer.

through the mid game is actually reasonable, which is why it's the best part of the game.

17: cleaned up everyone and now sprinting for the chests? reinforcements will come and trap you

18: red light, green light makes everything take twice as long since only a few units can stand up to the foxes without getting killed, so you have to park your 2-3 non horse tanks and press end turn

20: everyone knows all about the wind bullshit, and every enemy has a seal skill just to make things even more annoying. and just like chapter 9, get near fuga and in come a lot of reinforcements while you're out of position and lol do this garbage map yet again.

22: This one really made me notice this. My west side was much stronger than my east side, so they got to the top of the map quite quickly. because of that, my east side units were completely trapped between a ton of sudden reinforcements. pegs and mages to the north, puppets to the south. absolutely no warning that this would happen when you reach the top.

23: Hinata's squad will not move unless you're in range of most of them, so you will have to spend a couple of turns dragging everyone into position to get ready to attack. good thing my MU was very mag blessed so he could once shot most of them with the +stone. Flying over to the other side early will also trigger reinforcements, which is annoying.

24: This one is pretty reasonable, though the oni's that come after attacking hinoka could be a pain.

25: This is where I got fed up. ninjas everywhere with stack debuffs and poison. the duel is impossible to win unless you specifically prepare for it, so you will have to do it the hard way. splitting up is suicide thanks to the west side. infuriatingly, no one will move in the centre part unless you are in range of the 3 range puppets that no one can counter, with seal def and lunge. anyone caught by them is 100% dead. if you forgot to get a freeze staff and you're out of money (like me lol) you have no choice but to wait for the east side to finish up and waste another 10 turns crawling ALL the way around to the other side so you can actually do enough damage to kill everyone without dying.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but it seems slow is the way to go unless you want to be frustrated. perhaps my play style is too restrictive (no reclass, story chapters only).

But there is no difference between Hard and Lunatic in enemy statistics, and practically no difference in the number of enemies until Chapter 21 and Endgame. Most of the stuff that worked on Hard will also work on Lunatic. The major difference is enemy skill sets, distantly followed by enemy weapons.

Chapter 9. The reinforcements are exactly the same on Hard and Lunatic. They may kill you on a blind run and I understand if you feel that that is bad game design. To me, it is a puzzle, one supposed to be tried more than once.

Chapter 17. Again, the reinforcements are exactly the same, and the map is so slow paced that any thrill that it could possibly have ends by turn 5 or so. Enemy parties are so apart from each other that one can level up units or grab skills on alternate classes.

Chapter 19. It is methodical, boring perhaps, but rather easy. The defensive thresholds are low (around 20 Def), regardless of your being on a horse or a beast, you can “tank” foxes forever. I do it all the time with Paladin Silas or Paladin Sophie or Wolfssegner Velouria or Wolfssegner Shigure or +Mag Nohr Noble Cornflakes or Sniper Mozu… it does not matter. Buy tonics, put Elise at the centre and advance in a cross formation. Perfectly reproducible. 

Chapter 20. This map can be completed fast (in around six turns) thanks to the winds! They are not random, if you head east on turn 1, you will always be sent north. Thus, if the winds annoy you, just kill Pimp Fuga on sight and seize the throne.

Chapter  22. Do not divide your party, there are no chests to grab on either side. Just pick your favourite side, pair up your entire party and head to the guy with lenses.

Chapter 23. Hinata’s party can be killed/ neutralised in a single Player Phase with ten units. I do it every single time with any party. Do not bait, wipe.
Two tips: They will not attack you if you do not enter the range of Taco’s ballista. Also, kill as many units as possible and Freeze the ones remaining. If I do it with ten units, no royals, you certainly can do it too.

Ironically, you did not mention a key difference here: The position of the enemies in the roof, which are blocking the stairs on Lunatic.

Chapter 25. I do it on Lunatic with nine units (plus Cornflakes) and it is indeed tricky, but I do it on Hard every single time without much trouble.
My tip: Entrap both Spy Ninjas east, then one Spy Doll west and the Life-or-Death Sword Master guarding Saizo. (You can also use Freeze, but it will take more charges and more turns.)

I do not build specific Cornflakes for this chapter, but I had relied on her killing Ryoma on various Lunatic campaigns when my other nine units are not strong enough to defeat Saizo & Tits on time. Even then, since I usually go +Mag Nohr Noble, I buy as many tonics as possible, give her a Mjölnir and hope for the best.

I do not divide my party, but send all nine/ ten units east (around 8 turns to kill Tits) and then west.

Edited by starburst

well i cooled down and cleared it, managed to do it by splitting up but still took longer than I'd like. used shelter strats to safely kill the paired samurai, and sent belka to the north to distract the other samurai (30% risk of death though). took another 5 turns to prepare to breach the wall and kill the puppets. overall 17 turns, not so happy about that. Forgot noble can use tomes lol because why would you ever use them when you have the stones and the lightning sword?

on 26 now and i can tell this will be annoying since nobody moves until you open the doors. see you in 30 turns i guess.

On 8/6/2021 at 1:50 PM, starburst said:

But there is no difference between Hard and Lunatic in enemy statistics, and practically no difference in the number of enemies until Chapter 21 and Endgame. Most of the stuff that worked on Hard will also work on Lunatic. The major difference is enemy skill sets, distantly followed by enemy weapons.

Those 3-4 extra enemies per squad makes a huge difference. it's the difference between clearing them all on the next turn, or spending multiple turns luring them out.

Chapter 20. This map can be completed fast (in around six turns) thanks to the winds! They are not random, if you head east on turn 1, you will always be sent north. Thus, if the winds annoy you, just kill Pimp Fuga on sight and seize the throne.

Not if you want the extremely valuable treasures. Then you have to suffer through "up 5 spaces" (which secretly means up half the map).

Chapter  22. Do not divide your party, there are no chests to grab on either side. Just pick your favourite side, pair up your entire party and head to the guy with lenses.

The fact that i'm only making things harder for myself if I play through the map the intended way is my big issue with it.

Ironically, you did not mention a key difference here: The position of the enemies in the roof, which are blocking the stairs on Lunatic.

This one actually didn't cause me any problems thanks to the MU one shotting half the guys up there with the +stone and luring the basara out of the way with minimal damage

Edited by Mars of Aritia

1 hour ago, Mars of Aritia said:

Forgot noble can use tomes lol because why would you ever use them when you have the stones and the lightning sword?

In my case, because of Lightning, Dragon Fang, Vengeance, critical hits, Horse Spirit and Mjölnir.

Those 3-4 extra enemies per squad makes a huge difference. it's the difference between clearing them all on the next turn, or spending multiple turns luring them out.

There may be 3-4 extra enemies per map (including reinforcements), not per squad. I would even dare to say that the squads that are indeed more numerous are only increased by 1 unit. But you are the one who is currently playing Lunatic and I honestly have never taken notes about this.

Not if you want the extremely valuable treasures [in Chapter 20].

I get them all, but I do not complain about this map. I am only stating that those who get annoyed by Chapter 20 can complete it in a couple of turns precisely because of the wind.

Anyway, congratulations on your current campaign; Conquest on Lunatic truly is a challenge.

My very first Conquest (and FE) gameplay was on 2016 when I had sixteen. 

I go ahead with Lunatic on my very first try... 

All what You said is true 

But it is only valid for beginners.

I already beat the game like 3 times and I'm going on my 4th playthroug, things are a lot more easier and fun now. 

When you already know the mechanics and when the reinforcement appear there is no problem with the pace of the game. 

For example, on my earlier playthrougs I rarely use duo strikes, I tried to use pair ups the most, that's a lost offense potential.

With the function of "View map" I can have almost all the information of my enemies, with that in consideration I go back and prepair a strategy. 

Example: On Chapter 11: If I want my paired up Odin to obliterate the Setsuna army by himself I need at least 12 speed on him cuz she have 16. 

I can bring more examples but I didn't have the exact stats of the enemies rn 

The game advise you at the very start, It would be hard with limited resources, every single decision in the playthrougs matters, so is very normal for the begginers to go slow and fail lot of times. 

But once you know what is going on, you can be very fancy and finish it faster. 

LTC runs are the prove that you can beat the game fast. Obviously you didn't have to beat it that fast, but if you prepair your strategy you will get more success.

Edited by Lodestar737

well I finished it. chapter 26 was as tedious as I thought it would be. I thought the spy shuriken was in the mage room but the game decides to troll you and put it in the monster room instead, where it would've been extremely useful. fantastic weapon when you get it though, and with replikaze you get two of them. such a shame they give it to you so late. took about 24 turns

27 was much better than i remembered it, mostly because this time wolfie was fast enough to 2hko the spearmen with a spd tonic. If everyone gets warped to a suitable room this goes by quite smoothly. took me a refreshing 6 turns. completely idiotic that you can't save after this chapter though.

endgame took a lot of turns (about 18 i think?) but did not feel tedious for some reason, even when getting debuffed into the ground. probably because everyone gets to contribute a lot more, since theres not alot of enemies, the monsters are weak, and I splurged on silvers and staves (I probably should've bought more for earlier chapters). I'm not sure how you're supposed to do it if you don't have any staves though. if you're quick about removing the maids it's not so bad.

so yeah, I can see why it took me a few years to come back after going through hard the first time. not coming back to this for a while lol.

Congratulations on completing Conquest on Lunatic. It is a demanding puzzle.

I prefer Hard over Lunatic precisely because of how specific some maps are in the higher difficulty. I find that Hard is still fairly daring and that it allows you to use a greater variety of units and class combinations, and to implement broader challenges and self-imposed restrictions. On Lunatic you are pretty much forced to use every tool at your disposal and to prepare for certain passages of the game well in advance.

Edited by starburst