Thoughts after first playthrough

FailWood

For reference, I played the game on Easy first (I always do the easiest difficulty first despite my experience with the series), and am currently at chapter 15 on Normal.

What I liked:  The Base.  Having played Radiant Dawn before Path of Radiance, I've already experienced how the base operates, and it's my favorite integration of in-between chapter activity in the series.  Being able to check up one everyone and their inventories while in a more controlled environment feels refreshing, while remaining natural.

Ike.  I haven't decided if he's my favorite MC in the series, but he's definitely up there.  I like his more blunt personality, not being afraid to say what's on his mind even if the timing is not always appropriate (his anger towards Sanaki for her treatment towards Elincia was a highlight of his character for me), and I like his more simple outlook on things.  Him taking time to talk with his comrades via base conversations was also enjoyable, between being insightful, his willingness to listen, having funny moments (the end of his one with Volke was great, and when he tries to hide from Amiee), and his no nonsense moments (strong-arming Sothe when he wouldn't talk and dealing with the garbage known as Makalov).  Overall great character.

The early game.  Having your only units be members of the Greil Mercenaries until chapter 9 was a great call.  Gives you plenty of time to figure out who you want to use in the long term without bombarding you with too many new units, and grants the opportunity for everyone within the group to have some moments.  They're easily the best starting crew in the franchise in my opinion.

Promotions without needing Master Seal (Level 20+1): Bring back this option.  Having a capped unit who can't premote because of not having a Master Seal is never fun.

...Gonna break this post into two.  This one's pretty long.

Edited by FailWood

What I didn't like (mostly little things, so won't be the same format as above):  No combat forcast DURING combat, weapon experience not being viewable (though you can still see your weapon ranks), not many obtainable S-Rank weapons, and removing skills means you lose them completely.

Overall verdict:  I very much enjoyed Path of Radiance.  Oddities aside, I enjoyed the gameplay, story, and most of the characters, and look forward to playing this game much more in the future.