Is there a reason why analyzing a crest requires someone to strip?

Samz707

It seems like a DNA thing (So Blood and Hair) but Hannerman's dialogue around the time when he founds out you have a crest. (If I remember, he implies he wants to strip but if you're female he says can get Manuela to do it.)

So it's a DNA thing, so why would a physical examination be required?

Maybe I'm missing something but it seems more like it was something thrown in so they could joke about it despite it making little sense. 

35 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

It seems like a DNA thing (So Blood and Hair) but Hannerman's dialogue around the time when he founds out you have a crest. (If I remember, he implies he wants to strip but if you're female he says can get Manuela to do it.)

So it's a DNA thing, so why would a physical examination be required?

Maybe I'm missing something but it seems more like it was something thrown in so they could joke about it despite it making little sense. 

Ngl I skip the initial crest reveal every playthrough so maybe he says something there as well, but the strip line I do remember comes later on when Byleth undergoes their transformation. Hanneman's reasoning was that he wanted a full physical to determine if the awakening had caused any other physical changes besides the hair and eyes.

Granted it was almost certainly meant to be a joke but it does make sense at least.

34 minutes ago, Anathaco said:

Ngl I skip the initial crest reveal every playthrough so maybe he says something there as well, but the strip line I do remember comes later on when Byleth undergoes their transformation. Hanneman's reasoning was that he wanted a full physical to determine if the awakening had caused any other physical changes besides the hair and eyes.

Granted it was almost certainly meant to be a joke but it does make sense at least.

Fun fact: if you’re playing as female byleth you get a slightly different dialogue. Basically when Hanneman asks Byleth to strip he then realizes that it really should be Manuela doing a physical on Byleth for Hanneman’s research. This is basically an anime trope where an old man was thinking about seeing a young lady in the nude except for the part where he would have gotten smacked for it or something. Hanneman quickly stops himself and apologizes.

I think the reason Hanneman suggest Byleth should strip is because of the fact that Byleth's crest to him is smth new and undiscovered, so he probably wants them to strip to see if there are maybe any bodily anomalies in comparison to other crests. At least that's how I always justified it. We know that crests sometimes have bodily effects, such as Dimitri's insane strength and penchant to break frail things.

Crests function similarly to Holy Blood from FE4 (albeit a lot more random), and Holy Blood can result in the user having a brand somewhere on their body indicating their heritage, kinda like the Brand of the Exalt from Awakening.

I'd assume that Crests work similarly in that the user will have some kind of brand... but then again, the Crest Analyzer exists, so everything I just said is pointless, lol.

On 8/12/2021 at 6:20 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

Yes. Hanneman is a pervert. 

I mean if you think of the fact that he stalks people around Garreg Mach to just study crests and some people are uncomfortable with it. 

yeah he’s a perv. If Fire Emblem was modern then he’d stalk anyone around.

Edited by Theolexluna

• 2 weeks later...

Well don´t the tests require blood or something? I seem to remember being able to score with Hanneman when giving him a drop of blood and Seteth being worried about Flayn´s blood being experimented with or something.

And then yeah, the whole display of the crest with the analyzer.

Apparently TH blood works like good old photograohic film.

Taking someone's blood usually doesn't involve them stripping, though. Only the whole area from which the blood is being taken needs to be stripped (a single arm, thigh, etc). 

The idea about checking for physical differences compared to other crests makes sense to me. One thing that Hanneman once noted was how crest-havers usually have sweet tooths, so if having a crest can affect physical sensations in one area, then it makes sense for it to affect such in other areas. It was also implied that crests have effects on things like musculature and coordination, what with Dimitri's crazy strength (despite his Dex growth).