Number of Main Characters

FailWood

Do you prefer when Fire Emblem has multiple main characters, (Gaiden, Blazing Sword, Radiant Dawn, Three Houses, etc.) or when there's only one (Shadow Dragon, Thracia 776, Binding Blade, Path of Radiance, etc.)?

Which game do you think handled the MC(s) the best in terms of gameplay (regardless of their quality as a unit)?

More. There's more to do with more, and you ideally get a better spread of dialogue and importance. Besides, if I don't like one of the leads, there's always another two or three I might like more! But quality is always key. Seven MCs aren't better than one if they all are terrible. (And of course, YMMV on what's terrible and what's not.) 

In terms of gameplay, I think Blazing Sword handled it the best. Each MC came with different skills and specialties, making each feel like a separate unit. Three Houses and Radiant Dawn also did this, but they lose points for making players either choose between which MC they get to use (or none at all, if we're not counting Avatars) or having them only usable during certain parts of the game until the final act. 

Awakening is farther down on the list because while Chrom and Lucina are different characters, they're very similar gameplay-wise, with Lucina being a better Chrom. 

There's definitely ups and downs to both sides. Sometimes one MC is much better developed or not as developed as the other main character(s). For example, Lyn is a main character in FE7, but she loses relevance after the introductory arc. From a gameplay standpoint, she is unique like Eliwood and Hector and is a different unit entirely to them, focusing more on SPD. If there is multiple MCs, I do prefer them to be different unit types and fulfill different roles in battle. I like how Alm is a physical unit and Celica is a magical unit. Same goes for Ike and Micaiah, but the difference is even more drastic because Ike is pure offense and is quite tanky as well meanwhile Micaiah is more of a supporting unit. Meanwhile not a fan when the two lords are two similar, like Chrom and Lucina. It makes sense why they're similar, but Chrom loses a lot of value once Lucina steps into the picture.

2 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

In terms of gameplay, I think Blazing Sword handled it the best. Each MC came with different skills and specialties, making each feel like a separate unit.

I liked how they gave you the option to pick Hector as your leader after beating the game the first time from Eliwood's view.  I'd rather see different perspectives of one story rather then having to pick from 3 routes with their own stories (especially if you're with the same MC).  Kinda reminds me of Sonic 3 & Kunckles that Knuckles' journey while mostly similar to Sonic's, still had enough to be it's own thing without being too different.  I'd like to see IS do that again, if only to take a break from the whole "choose your path" routine.

I also like Gaiden/SoV's approach of controlling multiple armies more then Radiant Dawn's.  Both parties and their journey's felt distinct, while giving both sides more then enough time to be with.  RD on the other hand had the Mercs dominant Chapter 3, while the Dawn Brigade got powercrept, and how Elincia's crew kinda felt like an afterthought.

...And never forget how the Verdent Wind route was a carbon copy of Silver Snow, as the latter was completed by the Devs first.  Poor Claude.

I usually like to replay games a couple dozen times, I think that's one of the reasons I like FE so much. I like using different characters each time I play, which makes multiple lords, multiple forced spots, a negative in my book. That's why I like Ike and Roy in Path of Radiance and Sword of Seals respectively the most.

Not saying it can't be done well, I never really had anything against Micaiah/Ike in RD, or Alm/Celica in Echoes. The switching teams aspect seems to help in keeping things fresh.

On the other hand there's Blazing Sword, where Lyn and Hector might as well be forced each chapter. Having the same 3 units again and again on each replay was really annoying to me. At least the 3 lords in Three Houses take turns in playthroughs. Plus Three Houses allows for many different builds for the lords, so it doesn't feel so samey each time, which is why forced avatars bothers me less from a gameplay perspective. (Though let's not get into the story perspective for that one.)

It really depends on the game tbh. I think the only game where the amount of main characters hurt the game was Fates. Trying to balance 10 character (4 if you think Corrin, Azura and the eldest bros are the only mcs) really hurt it (alongside its choppy story...). Otherwise I think other FEs that tackled having multiple protags did well.

If I were to pick one way to do multiple protags, SoV is probably my favourite. Something like that or hell, Tear Ring Saga (which I think does the simultaneous multiple protags better than SoV) would be my favourite way to do it personally. Also differing the protags is of course important too. They should feel unique to play (ala one being physical and the other magical like Alm/Celica and Ike/Miccy).

Though, in saying all that, there is something to be said for games that focus on one lord. Marth is one of my favourite lords in the series thanks to Shadow Dragon (tho he was the only one who got development there lol) and Leif is also a great character and has great growth throughout the game. Overall, again I really don't mind how many protagonists there is as long as it's done well and everyone feels done well.

Depending on how they`re handled, I can dig having multiple main characters. The main issue is when one character is heavily favored over the others or when one feels rather obsoliete compared to the others. Radiant Dawn is an example of the former, while Fates suffers from the latter. An advantage to having only one Lord is that they get a greater focus and thus more opportunities to develop.

Aside from the last part of the game, I feel SoV did multiple protags the best. Alm and Celica were very different, both as characters and as units, and worked quite well together.

2 hours ago, Azz said:

Trying to balance 10 character (4 if you think Corrin, Azura and the eldest bros are the only mcs) really hurt it

When it comes to Fates, I personally only count Corrin, though an argument could be made for Azura.