Choose Your Legends 5 Reveal FEH Channel + Keepers of Faith Banner Trailer

LoneStar

Woah, Pelleas

... But, uh. Isn't he the highest scoring RD-exclusive character? What?

At least that's one character higher than Tormod out of the way.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

It's occurred to me that every year the CYL units have had an accompanying GHB, that GHB has been a Tellius character. The first year they did it, it was Sigrun. The next year it was Jorge. And now this year it's Pelleas.

And wasn't Black Knight released around the same time as the first CYL too?

I am impressed by his Brave Version... He is still a good unit in the end, event though its Sword again.  I expected less, since he is 2nd place. Weak to Panic? Sure. But playing well and that's not a problem. And the fact his sword counts buffed allies from whatever they are... That's amazing.

Eirika looks nice... That's all I have to say.

Gatekeeper is pretty unique. I really liked his B skill. I can see people using him with a Near Save unit, like Fallen Edelgard.

This is my opinion, and feel free to disagree. Marianne is disappoiting. Not a huge fan of her art and as a unit. Kinda meh. Sure, granting another action after using special is cool but... Eeh. She is good fodder at least.

Edited by Diovani Bressan

CYL Marth is a snooze fest of a unit but he can be good with the right teammates -- Legendary Eliwood and Ashera are obvious teammates for him.

CYL Eirika looks gorgeous -- she's the unit I'm planning to pick up since I did vote for her during CYL4.

CYL Gatekeeper is definitely looking to be trouble -- bulky even as a one-off and passive effects that interferes with mobility are inherently not fun to play against (has Obstruct on steroids that even interferes against Wings of Mercy). He'd likely be a huge troll unit when Save units are involved.

CYL Marianne is pretty unique, to say the least -- she is the first colorless tome unit to finally hit the regular gacha pool. Interesting choice of making her a pseudo-dancer. (Interesting maneuver meme intensifies)

Also ridiculous fodder all around:
Marth brings in Distant Pressure -- I don't imagine this being too popular because of it basically being DC with a Spd Push effect. He also brings in Spurn (lol) and Even Tempest (no longer Mythic exclusive).
Eirika has Surge Sparrow -- RIP Swift Sparrow 3. She also has Atk/Spd Menace (no longer Mythic exclusive).
Gatekeeper has Close Reversal (sidegrade of Close Foil -- drops the Atk buff to counter dragon units) and Joint Drive Def.
Marianne has Fallen Ike's most wanted toy: Atk/Spd Unity. She also brings in NFU and Time's Pulse.

Pelleas is... interesting to say the least. Wonder what they're gonna do with him.
Overall rankings of grail CYL units:
CYL1: Joshua (rank 34; TT, tied to Farfetched Heroes)
CYL2: Aversa (41; GHB, tied to Brave Redux)
CYL3: Sigrun (205)
CYL4: Jorge (27)
CYL5: Pelleas (99)

6 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

And wasn't Black Knight released around the same time as the first CYL too?

CYL 1 didnt have any GHB or TT unit alongside it.

Black Knight came alongside the New Heroes banner after CYL 1. The banner was Oscar, Nephenee and Elincia.

In all fairness, the percentage of Tellius characters in Heroes is quite a bit lower than most games (with the exception of Thracia). It has a large cast and had no launch units, and ... I mean, we have to get the popular ones in there somehow, right? Zetta duh

I have no clue who to get for my free 5 star. It's a 3-way tie between Eirika, Marth, and Gatekeeper for me. Can't wait for the banner!

1 hour ago, Xenomata said:

Every single CYL event has had an associated free summon, and they all expire after a few years. They mentioned that specific free summoning because it will be ending.

Ah, gotcha. I wouldn't have thought free summons were available for that long. I was hoping for a moment that IS was just giving away a CYL3 hero for the heck of it. 

--

I really don't know yet who I'll summon for free here. I'm a little surprised that, between SF and Twitter, many people seem to hate Marianne's artwork since for me it's one of the surprise factors that has me thinking I'm most likely to choose her, whereas prior to tonight she was the only one of these 4 that I felt sure I would not choose. She does seem to me to be, weirdly, the least impressive gameplay-wise, but being a dancer maybe balances that out. I'm still missing either version of Dorothea, so Marianne would help out in Resonant Battles, but it's probably a moot point since without Harmonic Dorothea any week with 3H being a focus in RB makes attaining/remaining in T21 a lost cause. 

Marth's skills seem really strong, but his design just isn't super interesting for me, and Marth himself has always seemed kind of bland as a character. Though he would definitely be the star of my rather unimpressive New Mystery roster. Gatekeeper is the only one of these 4 I actually voted for, and his art is fun and cute, but from a gameplay perspective he seems really niche, on top of the fact that my two best tanks are already both from 3H (Near Save Brave Edelgard and Far Save Felix). Eirika then might be who I end up choosing, but having never played Sacred Stones, naturally her character has never really resonated much with me. 

EDIT: Didn't realize 'til now that Marianne isn't actually a legit dancer. Hmm. That's really disappointing.

Edited by uhmuzing

Eirika interests me the most. Ponytails are the best, and anyone who thinks otherwise can meet me behind the gym after school.

Kinda in a hurry, so that's all for my thoughts.

But I'm going to have to carve some time out to mention the localization of the new skill names, though. I get that localization is hard, but they seriously could have done better. Detailed Report in particular feels like too much was lost, and all of the new inheritable skill series have names that do not at all lend well to being applied to other stats.

Binding Reginleif is 絆槍レギンレイヴ, (bansō reginreivu) or "Lance of Relationships, Reginleif". While 絆 (kizuna, here pronounced ban) can be used to mean "binding" in the physical or metaphorical sense, it most commonly refers to the bonds of relationships, and that's obviously the case here due to the reference to Ephraim.

Surge Sparrow is 鬼神飛燕の迫撃 (kishin-hien no hakugeki), "Close Strike of Fierce Deity and Flying Swallow". My problem with the localization is the fact that "Surge *" doesn't exactly work well for the other stat combination names. (For those who don't already know, "Single Strike of Fierce Deity" is Death Blow and "Single Strike of Flying Swallow" is Darting Blow in Japanese. The combined skills in Japanese all just combine the names, so Swift Sparrow is just "Single Strike of Fierce Deity and Flying Swallow".)

Moonlight Bangle is 華月の腕輪 (kagetsu no udewa), "Bracelet of the Brilliant Moon", which is effectively a prefixed version of Lunar Brace, which is 月の腕輪 (tsuki no udewa), "Bracelet of the Moon". The word for "brilliant" is a homophone for "flower" and often has such connotations.

Shining Emblem is 光炎の紋章 (kōen no monshō), "Light-Fire Emblem". No real problems with this localization, even if the "fire" didn't make the cut.

Distant Pressure is 遠反・速さの渾身 (en-han: hayasa no konshin), "Distant Counter: Spd Push". They're definitely going to make versions of this for every stat, so this skill name is definitely going to bite them in the ass.

Genesis Falchion is 始祖ファルシオン (shiso farushion), "Progenitor Falchion". No complaints here.

Phantasm Tome is 幻影の書 (gen'ē no sho), "Illusion Tome". No complaints here.

Requiem Dance is 鎮魂の舞 (chinkon no mai), "Requiem Dance". Technically, "dance to put a soul to rest", so a requiem minus the music. No complaints here.

Charging Horn is 突撃の角笛 (totsugeki no tsunobue), "Charging Horn". Half-expecting a dolphin to come out of the ground to attack.

Detailed Report is 異常なしであります (ijō nashi de arimasu), appoximately "There is nothing out of the ordinary (to report)". I get that space is a thing, but I feel like some soul was seriously lost in this one. I still haven't played Three Houses yet, but I assume this is a line from the game, and I don't know what the English localization of the line would be. (EDIT: Based on the quote in the trailer, I'd assume it's "Nothing to report".)

Close Reversal is 近反・金剛の構え (kin-han: kongō no kamae), "Close Counter: Steady Stance". Same issue as with Distant Pressure. They're definitely going to make versions of this for every stat.

Edited by Ice Dragon

3 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

I don't know if someone already shared it, but... Here's Pelleas (in the spoilers tab):

Hide contents

dx56m27.png.60dde292f42641f152b1554e24be4173.png

He looks like to have an inheritable tome... Rauðrlion?

Nooooo

So zetta lame

Do we really need any more gimmicky inheritable tomes, would've preferred him to get a prf

39 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

Eirika has Surge Sparrow -- RIP Swift Sparrow 3.

Given its Japanese name, it's probably restricted to melee-range units.

EDIT: Brainfart.

Edited by Ice Dragon

Unfortunately I'm a little disappointed with Marianne. Everyone else is super stacked, then she just okay. She has strong effects, but they are very limited. Damage Reduction only in player phase, there are plenty of skills that bypass damage reduction. Her "Dance" is 3 cool-down, of course there are ways of working around that, but at base it's very restrictive.

Don't get me started on the Colorless hell. At least there is a free pick and spark unlike the last colorless "Marianne" that I only have a Nina, and -300 orbs to show for.

1 hour ago, Nym said:

Pelleas!? Oh come on, Tellius again!? Why not Severa, she so high up! She has to be on a future banner.

Yup, we were fools to think that IS would shake their red tome addiction and pick a sword unit instead. Even as someone who likes the Tellius games, Pelleas is of no interest to me in the slightest (especially when he seemingly doesn't even have a Prf weapon....while bot boy from last year did get one).

So since my dreams of a +10 Severa were dashed, it's back to getting trolled by Majora's Mask Randomizer and the Light Arrow chest in particular for me I guess since the identity of the GHB character was all I cared about here.

man, the powercreep is hard on this one it feels like.

I was really hoping this batch would be unique, and well i think they managed that, except for Marth being a sword again. I do like his design, and in the right set up he'll probably do pretty well but he is the unit i'm least excited about.

Eirika -- god, she looks so lovely! that ponytail is really cute; to quote a certain some one from one my favorite anime "that ponytail you had whenever looked so good it was criminal" . In a sense she's just female Ephraim since they're sharing a design, but i do think she owns it and i'm happy with that. I'll love to +10 this girl some day. Obviously, i don't care if the lance niche is overcrowded, i didn't have a favorite cavalry lance unit, but i do now lol.

Marianne -- I"m happy, she's not the predictable stuff everyone was waiting for and i think she's certainly got her own niche, i'll definitely experiment with her. Easy pick for me. I'm also happy with her design, i think they could have done better, but given what we got, i think it's fine. I'm even ok with that weird giant lizard of death that's popping in during her attacks.

Gravekeeper - Congratulations everyone, you got what you wanted! definitely the most unique and out there of the bunch, and the art is just a lot of fun imo. Not looking forward to the potential headaches this guy might bring on enemy teams, but well. I'll definitely pick one up to play with.

And oh great, time to go flower harvesting again, yay. I'll rather wish the powercreep would slow down.

Also, all these unique specials. I can't really say if they'll busted or underwhelming, or if some of this units might only be fodder, but i hope they're good rather than not. Like Marianne is supposed to be a dancer but then her dance is on her special? weird. And is Marth's special buff every one at all times or only when fully charged? again, weird.

Edited by Sil/phire

Meet some of the Heroes website was updated with the CYL units + Pelleas.

Now the fact that he is a Red Tome Infantry unit doesnt need to be in spoilers anymore. I wonder what Rauðrlion has to offer (if that's the right name of the tome).

https://guide.fire-emblem-heroes.com/en-US/category/character/

Edited by Diovani Bressan

4 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Now the fact that he is a Red Tome Infantry unit doesnt need to be in spoilers anymore. I wonder what Rauðrlion has to offer (if that's the right name of the tome).

It will probably just be Fury 3 right? Like the Halloween weapons from 2 years ago that the current HoF units have natively.

26 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Detailed Report is 異常なしであります (ijō nashi de arimasu), appoximately "There is nothing out of the ordinary (to report)". I get that space is a thing, but I feel like some soul was seriously lost in this one. I still haven't played Three Houses yet, but I assume this is a line from the game, and I don't know what the English localization of the line would be.

"Nothing to Report" is I assume the English version, as that's his catchphrase in 3H. But it's also his epithet here, so maybe that's why they chose something else. What is his epithet in the JPN version, by the way? That may shed some light on this - especially since "Detailed Report" is the exact opposite of the Japanese name.

9 minutes ago, Sil/phire said:

my favorite anime "that ponytail you had whenever looked so good it was criminal"

It's a great anime at that, and he has a point! To think RenaisBlade on Twitter predicted the ponytail all the way back in February too xD

Well, we were hoping for some fashion changes for CYL 4, and we got the eventually - and I personally think Eirika's shake up looks far better than the 3H Lords ever would have, so I'm happy for the delay 😛

13 minutes ago, Sil/phire said:

Also, all these unique specials. I can't really say if they'll busted or underwhelming, or if some of this units might only be fodder, but i hope they're good rather than not. Like Marianne is supposed to be a dancer but then her dance is on her special? weird.

Marth gets a free Spectrum Hone Drive, which I think will be useful for PvE at the very least. I like Requiem Dance's uniqueness too, though I suppose we'll have to see how good it is in practice. I can see it being deadly if you plan around it though, like giving your second nuke an extra action or something.

3 minutes ago, LoneStar said:

It will probably just be Fury 3 right?

I feel silly for not seeing that connection myself, but it would be a very interesting decision if so! I still feel bad for him getting a generic tome when Jorge got a Prf after being botted in.

Eirika is easily my favorite of the bunch here even though she kind of looks like the lovechild of Lyn and Ephraim. But hey at least she is sporting a ponytail here which is a plus to me since I do love ladies with ponytails. I do remember making an offhanded comment once about Brave Eirika being modeled off Ephraim but I didn't think they would actually do it. As for her class and skills lance cavalry is an oversaturated class but I never did get Ingrid so Eirika can fill the hit and run cav tactic. Nice to see Eirika and Marth getting prf skills despite being second place. Also to my understanding next month's Limited Hero Battles is Sacred Stones vs L!Julia so B!Eirika will be helpful there.

The others I could care less about. Marianne has nice fodder at least, Marth is yet another sword infantry with a bunch of effects thrown into his weapon prf skills and Gatekeeper...has a neat attack animation at least.

So for me as always CYL banners are not the most exciting especially since Marth is yet again a sword infantry but Brave Eirika looks neat at least. Also doesn't help that CYL banners usually means BST increase and newer units afterwards getting more wacky with more very powerful weapons and skills but oh well.

Edited by NSSKG151

I completely forgot about the ghb during the trailer, but I'm glad its Pelleas. I need a new grail project now that i'm done with Tobin. I'm feeling a little bit mixed on him not having a prf. On the one hand the red tome pool is in dire need of some good inheritables. All those gimmicky red mage prfs and a lack of 4 stat seasonals means red just doesn't have much easy to get tomes. On the other hand its a CYL unit. A normal tome makes Pelleas feel a bit less special. Next up is Tormod..hopefully.

I'm surprised how creative they went with the gatekeeper. A green tome unit and a pretty fun battle animation. The only cyl hero i'm not entirely fond of is Eirika. I usually like Wada's art, but her cosplaying as Ephraim takes some getting used to.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but Eirika basically has all of the traits of her friends. Ephraim's clothes and weapon are obvious. Tana's hairstyle and Canto from her kid alt. Damage Reduction like Fallen Lyon. "Moonlight" Bangle with boosted special like kid Innes. Mommy Eirika just robbed all of the kids.

2 minutes ago, LoneStar said:

"Moonlight" Bangle with boosted special like kid Innes. Mommy Eirika just robbed all of the kids.

I saw Moonlight Bangle as a spin on Lunar Brace instead, but otherwise... yeah, I see what you mean. But she really values her friends, so it makes sense that she'd be inspired by them all~

2 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

"Nothing to Report" is I assume the English version, as that's his catchphrase in 3H. But it's also his epithet here, so maybe that's why they chose something else. What is his epithet in the JPN version, by the way? That may shed some light on this - especially since "Detailed Report" is the exact opposite of the Japanese name.

Oh, I forgot to do epithets. I reminded myself to do them when I started, but completely forgot.

Marth, Prince of Light, is 光の王子 (hikari no ōji), "Prince of Light".

Eirika, Pledged Restorer, is 誓いの優王女 (chikai no yūōjo), "Gentle Princess of the Oath".

Marianne, Serene Adherent, is 穏やかなる祈り (odayakanaru inori), "Quiet Prayer".

Gatekeeper, Nothing to Report, is 大修道院の (daishūdōin no), "of the Abbey". It's worth noting that the way the epithets work in Japanese, Gatekeeper's name and title would be written as 大修道院の門番 (daishūdōin no monban), which is just "the abbey's gatekeeper". Several other characters also have their titles made to work this way where they can grammatically combine with the character's name rather than serve as an implied appositive.

So yeah, it could have been awkward to just use "Nothing to Report" as the skill name (though I think it would have been fine), but I feel like "Nothing to Report" also makes more sense in terms of the skill's effect. "No strange people got past me and no weirdos teleported in anywhere nearby. Nothing to report."

6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

but I feel like "Nothing to Report" also makes more sense in terms of the skill's effect. "No strange people got past me and no weirdos teleported in anywhere nearby. Nothing to report."

This is true (and also hilarious), but I guess you could make a similar case for the opposite too? "I stopped some people earlier, here's some more info", something like that?

7 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Gatekeeper's name and title would be written as 大修道院の門番 (daishūdōin no monban), which is just "the abbey's gatekeeper".

Ah, so the English version went with something more unique for him, which cost them a direct translation of the Skill?