Choose Your Legends 5 Reveal FEH Channel + Keepers of Faith Banner Trailer

LoneStar

Definitely getting Gatekeeper.

I kinda hope another "Meme" character who'd normally never get in/isn't playable in their own game wins the next CYL. (Such as Nuibaba, Bandit Boss or Kostas for instance.) I'd rather have more unique characters who aren't playable at all as opposed to. "Here's yet another character already in the game, with a different outfit and maybe a different weapon type".

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is everyone thinking will be their free pick? Eirika seems like the clear winner to me, she actually seems like she won 1st place over Marianne. She's also my favorite character of these four.

At the same time, I almost feel obligated to pick Marth. I was pushing for him to finally win, and he did. And in my own personal favorite character rankings, he and Eirika are literally right next to each other.

So, I got two favorite characters to pick from, one I feel obligated to pick and another that seems like the clear winner this CYL. Decisions, decisions.

(Not that I don't like Marianne, she's awesome, one of my two favorite TH characters, but she's kinda underwhelming as a unit and her art is...not good.)

1 hour ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Who is everyone thinking will be their free pick? Eirika seems like the clear winner to me, she actually seems like she won 1st place over Marianne. She's also my favorite character of these four.

At the same time, I almost feel obligated to pick Marth. I was pushing for him to finally win, and he did. And in my own personal favorite character rankings, he and Eirika are literally right next to each other.

So, I got two favorite characters to pick from, one I feel obligated to pick and another that seems like the clear winner this CYL. Decisions, decisions.

(Not that I don't like Marianne, she's awesome, one of my two favorite TH characters, but she's kinda underwhelming as a unit and her art is...not good.)

Gatekeeper is at the top of my list. Not sure whether Eirika or Marianne is second. 

14 hours ago, LoneStar said:

Unfortunately I'm a little disappointed with Marianne. Everyone else is super stacked, then she just okay. She has strong effects, but they are very limited. Damage Reduction only in player phase, there are plenty of skills that bypass damage reduction. Her "Dance" is 3 cool-down, of course there are ways of working around that, but at base it's very restrictive.

She already gets Time's Pulse at base, so it's technically at 2CD (helps that this is a special that activates after combat, meaning she'll get Time's Pulse effect again on the next turn). As long as she doubles and doesn't fight something while Guard status is in effect, she gets the special off, which shouldn't be very hard since she gets Lull Spd/Res on steroids in her Prf weapon as well as Atk/Spd Unity and NFU in her base kit. If NFU isn't needed, then she could be using WoM to act like a WoM dancer. There is also the fact that Marianne's special inflicts the Gravity status on her refreshed ally but the point against it is... that penalty didn't stop Legendary Leif from being a menace, did it?

Edited by Roflolxp54

Marianne or Gatekeeper seem like the longest-lasting ones, though I worry about both; Marianne's kit feels more restrictive than necessary, and Gatekeeper lacks any significant in-combat effects.

Meanwhile, Marth is in an oversaturated class and extremely susceptible to Panic. Eirika is a great combat unit, but that being all she is, she's liable to get powercrept before too long.

Ugh, I really hate what they did with Eirika.

1 minute ago, Florete said:

Marianne or Gatekeeper seem like the longest-lasting ones, though I worry about both; Marianne's kit feels more restrictive than necessary, and Gatekeeper lacks any significant in-combat effects.

Meanwhile, Marth is in an oversaturated class and extremely susceptible to Panic. Eirika is a great combat unit, but that being all she is, she's liable to get powercrept before too long.

Ugh, I really hate what they did with Eirika.

I agree 100%. 
Marth seems the worst here, nothing more than a offensive ball of stats in a over-saturated class and bound to be powercrept.

Eirika at least have something more to her in the form of Canto and her piercing special procs. She also has more movement and, even tho she's also on a class that has a lot of competition, she feels more unique than Marth. She will be overcrept sooner or later tho, as she's just an offensive unit.

Marianne and Gatekeeper have such unique sets that we'll possibly never see another hero that can do what they can. Those type of heroes are the ones that age best. Even not taking that in account, Gatekeeper is a really interesting unit for AR, be it in offense or defense. Blocking warps can shut down a lot of strategies (again, be it on offense or defense) and he feels really solid. Maybe not on the best color, but that can be worked around with teammates.
Marianne in theory can do some nasty stuff and if the AI can use her well, she'll be a great unit to run on AR-D with WoM as I said earlier. Maybe it's also possible to set up a Rally Trap and have her attack refreshing the rallier without spending an actual dancer. She can also be used on offense, like having her with N!Lyn. If Lyn kills someone, Marianne picks another while refreshing Lyn and then Lyn nails a third one, you'll probably have unlocked her Duo Skill killing the one or more Duo/Harmonics on defense and being ready for more kills/retreat using only two of your heroes.

Long story short, for me it's something like:
Gatekeeper > Marianne > Eirika >>>>> Marth 

Hm... there's one opinion that I really need to see, and that's @XRay's.
We have one unit who can dance through her Special, letting her maintain an offensive presence while still refreshing her allies, and a unit who blocks attempts to warp to anywhere in a 4-tile area around him. And then of course we have the other two... but all in all, we got some brand new toys to work with, and I do not claim to have any understanding of the meta and how it is affected.

8 hours ago, kradeelav said:

I was hoping that one of the CYL winners would have ATK/SPD Menace so I could get a free one of those, two with the first spark ... needless to say, my Zihark's going to be eating well with that and Surge Sparrow (if it's inheritable). :3

You can get SS2 and Threaten Atk (or Spd) 1 from the 3-4* pool, so you could get both from a single Eirika too, cool!

By the way, what do you think are the ideal IVs for everyone? I'm guessing +Spd for Marth, +Def for GK, +Atk/Spd for Eirika and +Atk/Spd/Res for Marianne, but that's as far as my FEH understanding goes.

And on topic, I agree that the 3H duo have a much longer lifespan than people give them credit for, while Marth and Eirika's days in the spotlight are already numbered.

Edited by DefyingFates

Dang, all of them are great! I'm a bit surprised at how excited I am for Eirika. Looks like my guess about her wielding her brother's lance was right, as well as her outfit being based on his, but I didn't expect her to look so goo! I love that they drew her in the FE8 art style. Marth's outfit being based on Anri's is great, too, though I do wish he got something other than yet another Falchion. Little disappointed in Marianne. I was hoping she'd get Blutgang, and her being a dancer seems kind of out of character and makes me uncomfortable. Her summoning a black beast is nice, though, and her skill/weapon effects give me some hope for Elena getting something based on her song someday.

But for me, the absolute highlight is Gatekeeper! He goes beyond anything I anticipated -- I love this guy! He kind of reps the brigades you can equip in 3H, and is an EPIC support unit! Definately grabbing him! (And if I can, getting myself a Brave Eirika, too, and throwing her in with her bro for maximum twinning.)

Edit: And excuse me, but who said Gatekeeper could be SO CUTE?!! In Sharena's explanation, too, that last picture with him and the dog and the kitties is just adorable! And his saluting sprite! Oh man I love this guy!

Edited by Mercakete

2 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

and her skill/weapon effects give me some hope for Elena getting something based on her song someday.

Ooh, that's a great idea! Her Galdr could work like Peony or L!Azura's buffs too: refreshing a unit AND giving them a boost for their efforts!

3 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Looks like my guess about her wielding her brother's lance was right, as well as her outfit being based on his, but I didn't expect her to look so good!

And yeah, you nailed it! I honestly didn't expect her to look so good either. It's like Wada Sachiko looked at how she'd been missing out on drawing Eirika for 4.5 years and decided to put out a single Eirika worth all of that time lost xD

I figured I was only gonna want Marianne, but Marth and Eirika look amazing. I honestly want Marth the most. I'll probably try to get all three of them. Massive win that we're getting Pelleas as the GHB unit. 

41 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

By the way, what do you think are the ideal IVs for everyone? I'm guessing +Spd for Marth, +Def for GK, +Atk/Spd for Eirika and +Atk/Spd/Res for Marianne, but that's as far as my FEH understanding goes.

Spd on everyone except Gatekeeper. Gatekeeper goes Atk, Def, or Res depending on what you're trying to do with him.

43 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

And on topic, I agree that the 3H duo have a much longer lifespan than people give them credit for, while Marth and Eirika's days in the spotlight are already numbered.

I think people are somewhat underestimating Marth and Eirika. Sure, they're mostly combat units and therefore vulnerable to stat creep, but that's ignoring the fact that they both have rare skill effects on their exclusive skills on top of their state-of-the-art offensive stat spreads

Marth has Null Follow-Up; Nosferatu; Vantage, which is only available on 3 other obtainable weapons; a Special nearly as strong as Regnal Astra; and applies a ton of buffs to himself and allies. While field buffs are still susceptible to Panic, we now have Null Panic, Harsh Command+, and Recovery skills to counteract it, and his weapon's buff counting condition takes the out-of-combat global total (up to 3 allies), meaning it can't be countered by Lull or Dull effects.

Eirika has Null Follow-Up, which is currently only available on 2 other cavalry units (Selena and Summer Freyja); 30% damage reduction on the opponent's first attack; Canto; Null Guard, which is currently only available on the Byleths, Ayra, and Ulir; and an improved version of Lunar Brace.

Marth's only major flaw is the fact that he's a common unit type with a common stat spread and therefore has more competition from units that can do similar jobs with similar performance. However, Eirika doesn't have that issue.

3 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

I love that they drew her in the FE8 art style.

I mean, it's hard not to be in FE8's art style when the art is drawn by FE8's official artist herself.

2 hours ago, Xenomata said:

Hm... there's one opinion that I really need to see, and that's @XRay's.

Sorry, been a bit a busy.

As much as I think Marianne: Serene Adherent is nice for getting around Dancers/Singers restrictions in Limited Hero Battles, for actual regular usage in other modes though, I am a bit concerned about her reliablity and ease of use. She functions similarly to a Galeforce Dancer/Singer, except Galeforce Dancers/Singers are more flexible since they have the option to Dance/Sing straight away without needing to attack enemies first to Dance/Sing. She is a ranged unit though (unlike other Galeforce Dancers/Singers) and she and her target are unaffected by Isolation, but I am not sure those two benefits are sufficient enough of a benefit to warrant losing out on the real Dance/Sing. However, until she is released and I can actually use her, while I have my concerns, I cannot really tell whether she is good or bad just from reading the effects alone.

Gatekeeper: Nothing to Report seems like a unit that is between a super tank and Save tank. In function and spirit, he is a lot closer to a super tank. But due to its area of movement denial, you can stack a ton of support units behind him, similar to how you stack a ton of support units around Save tanks. Other than that though, I do not think he is that great as a super tank since he does not have much in combat tanking effects. You can use him as a support unit and put him behind a super tank, but I am not sure if Wings of Mercy denial is that important of an effect.

Eirika: Pledged Restorer is a combat unit. She is good at her job I guess. She is fine as is, Galeforce Wary Special Fighters, slap Edelgard: Hegemon Husk silly with Windsweep, and that is about it. She is good at nuking, but I do not think she is going to be as impactful and relevant as Sigurd: Fated Holy Knight. Nukes are a dime a dozen.

Marth: Prince of Light is also another combat unit. As a super tank, he really needs Ashera to function with some form of reliability, or else Panic is going to ruin him. He technically has some support utility too, but it is honestly not that impressive in my opinion.

Edited by XRay

19 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

It's a great anime at that, and he has a point! To think RenaisBlade on Twitter predicted the ponytail all the way back in February too xD

Oh, are you a fan too? great taste man, great taste, it's a great show (the movie is sooo good).

and yeah i definitely feel like she won this CYL. I mean we all already knew GK was going to be the most busted/strongest/unique, and i think he scores in most of those points including fantastic art that gives me strong granblue fantasy vibes, but Marianne, i mean, she did not actually get a preferred skill did she? just the special, but it will definitely need some experimenting. Oh and i finally realized something that i felt was off about her art - the special combat piece. The coloring/shading is so harsh it just doesn't go with what i have seen previously of her (summer hilda/normal marianne), like really harsh. Otherwise i don't feel her art is bad like so many are saying every where i look, i actually think is fine or good, but now i may have preferred the art be done by the artist who did her normal alt at least. If anything though, that leaves the possibility a future time-skip version may be given to a different artist.

Anyways, Eirika fan club, i hope you're taking new members, because you just got one.

Edited by Sil/phire

5 hours ago, Roflolxp54 said:

She already gets Time's Pulse at base, so it's technically at 2CD (helps that this is a special that activates after combat, meaning she'll get Time's Pulse effect again on the next turn). As long as she doubles and doesn't fight something while Guard status is in effect, she gets the special off, which shouldn't be very hard since she gets Lull Spd/Res on steroids in her Prf weapon as well as Atk/Spd Unity and NFU in her base kit. If NFU isn't needed, then she could be using WoM to act like a WoM dancer. There is also the fact that Marianne's special inflicts the Gravity status on her refreshed ally but the point against it is... that penalty didn't stop Legendary Leif from being a menace, did it?

It's not terrible. I think the Gravity is okay so it doesn't get too out of hand, but my biggest grip is that it doesn't do extra damage in combat to help her with the one round KOs. You also won't be able to see her Special art or heat the quote from her base kit. Meanwhile Holy-Knight Aura exists.

I really want all of these characters, so I'll be doing the 40 pulls for all colors hoping I get at least two of them, then I do the consolation pull, then I do the free pull.

Priority is Marianne > Gatekeeper > Eirika > Marth

Stats and stuff, including Pelleas's skill kit [SPOILERS]:

Spoiler

sil6pkhniuh71.png

Gatekeeper
Super Asset(s): Def
Super Flaw(s): HP, Spd
*Close Reversal requires Close Counter as an inheritance prerequisite.

Marianne
Super Asset(s): Atk, Spd
Super Flaw(s): HP, Def

Eirika
Super Asset(s): Atk, Spd, Res
*Surge Sparrow is restricted to melee units and requires Swift Sparrow 2 as an inheritance prerequisite.

Marth
Super Flaw(s): HP, Res
*Distant Pressure require Distant Counter as an inheritance prerequisite.

Pelleas
Super Asset(s): Atk
Super Flaw(s): Res
Skill Kit: 
  Raudrlion+ [Effect: At start of turn, grants Atk+6 to adjacent allies for 1 turn. At start of combat, if foe's HP >= 75%, grants Atk/Res+5 to unit during combat]
   -
   Miracle
   Brazen Atk/Spd 3 [4* unlock]
   -
   Atk/Res Oath 3

4 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

Stats and stuff, including Pelleas's skill kit [SPOILERS]:

Reveal hidden contents

sil6pkhniuh71.png

Gatekeeper
Super Asset(s): Def
Super Flaw(s): HP, Spd
*Close Reversal requires Close Counter as an inheritance prerequisite.

Marianne

Eirika
Super Asset(s): Atk, Spd, Res
*Surge Sparrow is restricted to melee units and requires Swift Sparrow 2 as an inheritance prerequisite.

Marth
Super Flaw(s): HP, Res
*Distant Pressure require Distant Counter as an inheritance prerequisite.

Pelleas
Super Asset(s): Atk
Super Flaw(s): Res
Skill Kit: 
  Raudrlion+ [Effect: At start of turn, grants Atk+6 to adjacent allies for 1 turn. At start of combat, if foe's HP >= 75%, grants Atk/Res+5 to unit during combat]
   -
   Miracle
   Brazen Atk/Spd 3 [4* unlock]
   -
   Atk/Res Oath 3

Awesome! Does everyone still agree with @Ice Dragon's take on everyone's preferred assets?

2 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

Awesome! Does everyone still agree with @Ice Dragon's take on everyone's preferred assets?

Yeah. You generally want +Spd on everyone who has a decent Spd stat. That has not changed.

The only nukes that want Atk more would be nukes like Brave nukes, Blazing nukes, one shot nukes, etc.

For dual phase units, Counter-Vantage units and dual phase guaranteed follow-up units want +Atk.

For enemy phase units, if they are slow pokes, they generally want Def/Res and sometimes Atk.

49 minutes ago, XRay said:

Yeah. You generally want +Spd on everyone who has a decent Spd stat. That has not changed.

The only nukes that want Atk more would be nukes like Brave nukes, Blazing nukes, one shot nukes, etc.

For dual phase units, Counter-Vantage units and dual phase guaranteed follow-up units want +Atk.

For enemy phase units, if they are slow pokes, they generally want Def/Res and sometimes Atk.

That's a very useful rule of thumb, thank you very much! I've chosen a +Spd IV for my Eirika for now. May it serve her well! Has Summoning gone well for everyone here?

Edited by DefyingFates

Well tickets netted me only a Linhardt who is new for me.  I am skipping since other then Gatekeeper I don't really feel like I need anyone and harmonic!Dorothea is coming back later this week so I will put her as my priority.  I took Gatekeeper as my free pick.  Good luck to those going for everyone.

59 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

The fact that Brave Marth comes with both Distant Counter and Distant Pressure makes me happy, because I am not a huge fan of the new A skill. I will stick with the classic old DC.

Me too.
TBH, I don't even know which unit would want that skill. If it gave +5 Atk or even Def, I guess units like Ares could use it as it helps get into Vantage range while also boosting offense and allowing the counter on ranged foes. 

35 minutes ago, Rinco said:

TBH, I don't even know which unit would want that skill.

The biggest problem with Distant Pressure is that it chips away at HP, so for a supertank it would quickly weaken them down more than the foe ever could, especially in an AR environment where up to 7 units can all be attacking the supertank at once.

If the unit has a way of offsetting all that additional damage, healing specials or passive effects that enable healing during or after combat, then it should be a much safer skill to use. Though again in an AR environment, enemy units are very likely to carry the Fatal Smoke skill (and they all suck, yes I say that despite also running Fatal Smoke on my units), so if healing gets disabled, there gonna be some problems...

...I may be biased against Distant Pressure though, cause I just summoned 9 Marths and I DO NOT intend to actually fodder any of them for the skill... soooooo yeah.

7 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

The biggest problem with Distant Pressure is that it chips away at HP, so for a supertank it would quickly weaken them down more than the foe ever could, especially in an AR environment where up to 7 units can all be attacking the supertank at once.

If the unit has a way of offsetting all that additional damage, healing specials or passive effects that enable healing during or after combat, then it should be a much safer skill to use. Though again in an AR environment, enemy units are very likely to carry the Fatal Smoke skill (and they all suck, yes I say that despite also running Fatal Smoke on my units), so if healing gets disabled, there gonna be some problems...

...I may be biased against Distant Pressure though, cause I just summoned 9 Marths and I DO NOT intend to actually fodder any of them for the skill... soooooo yeah.

I got cursed with 3 Marths while I would have been glad with one and pretty ok with none at all, so I understand you! 😂