Forging Bonds: Keepers of Faith!

Diovani Bressan

A new Forging Bonds event is coming!

ykSr1B6.jpg

The stars of this Forging Bonds Event are Marth, Eirika, Marianne and Gatekeeper, the winner from Choose Your Legends 5!

In Forging Bonds, SP and Hero Merit earned in battle are doubled, so use this opportunity to train your most needed units.

I hope you enjoy the new stories featured by these Heroes!

Click here to access the multipliers!

Edited by Diovani Bressan

I'd be willing to bet that part of Marth's supports will be about how long it took him to win CYL.

5 hours ago, Xenomata said:

I will be very disappointed if Gatekeeper does not get acquainted with Arden.

Castle-guarding bros.

This had better happen, this is perfect.

I wonder if the support conversations with Marianne is going to be any different than the previous one she had. Since this is timeskip Marianne, I imagine it will be but hopefully not too obvious. Maybe a conversation with other dancers would be cool, like how anyone in her world can use the power of Dance would be interesting.

I like Marth, but he has to have the most boring CYL in a long time. I believe he already had this conversation more then once and this added absolutely nothing new to the humble angle.

Eirika’s forging bond looks promising though.

Edited by Sasori

Eirika's level C-conversation  ... is so fucking gross.

This is exactly what I hate about people like this. Drooling over some person who doesn't even know they exist, talking about how much they want them, like they're something there to please you that you get to win over. It doesn't help that I already hated all of them anyway.

And Eirika doesn't even show up in her own B-conversation. IS so zetta garbage. CRUNCH! I'll add it to the heap.

3 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

Eirika's level C-conversation  ... is so fucking gross.

This is exactly what I hate about people like this. Drooling over some person who doesn't even know they exist, talking about how much they want them, like they're something there to please you that you get to win over. It doesn't help that I already hated all of them anyway.

And Eirika doesn't even show up in her own B-conversation. IS so zetta garbage. CRUNCH! I'll add it to the heap.

I would very much like to ban Gatrie from ever showing up in a Forging Bonds again.

This isn't one of the better forging bonds IMO.

Marth's was weird. It itself was fine, but they've done this with Marth enough, not to mention this is the sixth Marth to join the order, at least one of whom is explicitly the Hero King and post Mystery of the Emblem. They had to have had these experiences already.

I still need to get Marianne's S support, but hers doesn't seem too bad. Linhardt seems like he's being a bit pushy, but maybe that's true to character from 3H—never did BE.

I detest Eirika's. The C convo doesn't fit in with any of the rest, and as many have mentioned, is super gross, and the rest of the convos are more about Ephraim than Eirika. It just reinforces my sense that IS only thinks Eirika is popular because of her association with Ephraim, which is frankly insulting.

Gatekeeper's was a little silly, but still endearing. Pending Marianne's S, it was probably my favorite.

The story itself is fine. The only particularly memorable part was Gatekeeper standing up to Thor, which like his convos, was a bit silly but endearing.

Edited by bottlegnomes

Ignoring Eirika C convo(that one was just plain terrible and completely random for her even worse when Lazlow is with his daughter of all things that’s a big nono there…) it was fine Ephraim being focus in the next one doesn’t mean she was less popular as above said not in the slightest…it work with her theme.

Marianne’s is fine Linhardt being a little pushy but it fits his character in wanting to learn about people’s crest. Love that they justify why she’s in her dance attire very heartfelt!

Gatekeepers is so wholesome love it and him!

Marth’s is just being Marth nuff said not an insult at all just what I expect.

Edited by Mage Goddess Lysithea

I already dislike characters where seemingly their only discernible character trait is their tendency to harass women, and Eirika's C-Support conversation just reinforces that idea. Enough of that, IS, it's been done before, we don't need more of that.

The other conversations were fine. Gatekeeper's was pretty cute.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the horny crew personally. They all have people that’ll keep them in check (two Ingrids for Sylvain, Xander and Selena for Laslow, Siegbert for Soleil) if Seth doesn’t get to them first.

Gatrie technically has Shinon as his check, but Shinon usually doesn’t care enough about Gatrie’s womanizing to do anything about it even though Shinon does disapprove of it greatly.

I kinda wanted the gatekeeper to meet some of the ruder heroes. Getting barked at by Raigh for assuming he's a kid, having the bad fortune to have Niles pass through his gate or thinking that this Ashnard figure that tries to enter is very suspicious. Or seeing a suspicious figure with a shovel sneak out at night only to find out its Morgan digging another pitfall, which he then falls into. 

17 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

I wouldn’t worry too much about the horny crew personally.

On reflection Gatrie and Inigo would probably be harmless. But Sylvain deliberately sets out to hurt woman and Soleil can harass very unwilling girls to tears(or hunt down Forrest in the Japanese version). So as far as those two are concerned we got to protect Eirika!

38 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

On reflection Gatrie and Inigo would probably be harmless. But Sylvain deliberately sets out to hurt woman and Soleil can harass very unwilling girls to tears(or hunt down Forrest in the Japanese version). So as far as those two are concerned we got to protect Eirika!

Did you miss the part where I said that Sylvain has two Ingrids to worry about instead of one? It’s honestly a wonder he’s even trying to push his luck when he knows that one Ingrid is perfectly capable of kicking his ass. He is guaranteed to feel pain himself if he does hurt anyone.

As for Soleil, Siegbert doesn’t have to keep her around just because her dad worked for his dad. If she really crosses the line, Siegbert could threaten termination as a last resort….or go for a more comical punishment and force Soleil to read through Nina’s entire catalogue of erotic fan fiction. 

Personally, I think the latter option would be more effective in changing Soleil’s ways.

4 hours ago, bottlegnomes said:

It just reinforces my sense that IS only thinks Eirika is popular because of her association with Ephraim, which is frankly insulting.

She has always lacked her own identity, and this brave alt shows it.  Has Tana's hairstyle (which doesn't complement her character or her looks), put her in Ephraim's clothes and took his lance.  Aside from Byleth, Eirika is probably the MC with the weakest sense of identity in the franchise.

14 hours ago, Othin said:

I would very much like to ban Gatrie from ever showing up in a Forging Bonds again.

I second this.

9 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

I wouldn’t worry too much about the horny crew personally. They all have people that’ll keep them in check (two Ingrids for Sylvain, Xander and Selena for Laslow, Siegbert for Soleil) if Seth doesn’t get to them first.

It's less that I'm worried about what they'll do, it's more that I find that kind of behavior disgusting both IRL and in games. It doesn't help that Gatrie has canonically proven himself to be well within "Stalker Creep" tier in his forging bonds support with Thrasir. While Thrasir herself is a bit of a ... special case, it doesn't change the fact that most women would be intimidated and creeped out if some dude they didn't know repeatedly showed up to where he last saw you because he wants you to be his girlfriend, and then tried to hold you to a promise you never made. Unfortunately, Gatrie is still portrayed as a "lovable goof" type of character rather than he creep he's acting as.

8 hours ago, FailWood said:

She has always lacked her own identity, and this brave alt shows it.  Has Tana's hairstyle (which doesn't complement her character or her looks), put her in Ephraim's clothes and took his lance.  Aside from Byleth, Eirika is probably the MC with the weakest sense of identity in the franchise.

Eh, hard disagree here. Eirika's thing is that she feels out of place in a world of war. She's prepared for diplomacy, not battle, but realizes that sometimes the only way to earn peace is to fight for it. She wants to be better at being a warrior, despite having no appetite for battle, because she wants to protect others instead of being protected all the time. She's a sheltered princess who wants to stop being so sheltered, basically.

Also, putting Eirika in Ephraim's clothes and taking his lance doesn't mean she lacks her own identity. Ike took his father's clothes and axe, and Roy took his father's clothes and axe. And no one thinks their Brave alts shows a lack of identity. Eirika's CYL alt seems like it's supposed to be more in line with CYL1 winners paying clear tribute to their fathers (with 3/4 fathers having a canon design and weapon), while the other three for this year didn't really go that route.

Clearly, Ephraim dev is to blame for this. Couldn't stop wanking over Ephraim when it was supposed to be his sister's time to shine. (EDIT: In case anyone's sarcasm radar is failing horribly, this is a joke.)

Edited by Sunwoo

20 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

It doesn't help that Gatrie has canonically proven himself to be well within "Stalker Creep" tier in his forging bonds support with Thrasir.

>Heroes

>Canon

Does not compute. Only the games of origin of the characters themselves are worthy of being called "canon" on characterization IMO. 

Also, for whatever creepiness you may find Gatrie has.:

Gatrie: Hey, Shinon. I’m just waiting for my girlfriend.
Shinon: Oh. Her. Right. You’re still dating?
Gatrie: Yep! And when I gave her the gift that you picked out for me… boy, was she happy! In fact, I’ll tell you a secret… we’re getting married!
Shinon: Aren’t you rushing it a little?
Gatrie: Oh, no! You see, she’s terminally ill. She has Brain Stones. It’s really bad. She only had a few days left to live. And since she didn’t have enough money to pay for the treatment… I thought it was time to spend my gold!
Shinon: You paid for it?
Gatrie: Yep! Every last gold piece! And guess what? The treatment cost exactly as much as I had! It’s fate, isn’t it? Oh, with a coincidence like this, I know that we’re meant for each other!
Shinon: …You’ve got to be kidding me.
Gatrie: Between the war and her illness, times are pretty rough, so we decided to have the wedding right away. I was supposed to meet her here and then introduce her to the company. I wanted to do it in style, you know? But she’s not here yet… Oh, wait is that… No, that’s a horse. Hmm… I’m a little worried. I went to her house this morning, but I think I got the address wrong. All I found was an abandoned shack. But it’ll be all right! She knows I’m with this army, and… And…
Shinon: Gatrie? She’s not coming. You’ve been conned.

Canonically, any girl repulsed by him could easily get vengeance it seems -if they were morally okay with lying.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

>Heroes

>Canon

Does not compute. Only the games of origin of the characters themselves are worthy of being called "canon" on characterization IMO. 

Okay, it's canon to Heroes. Either way, I didn't like him before and between his Forging Bonds with Thrasir and Eirika's C-conversation, I'm kind of starting to hate him.

Also, desperation is a very poor look on a guy. Or a girl.

Gatrie falling for conwomen tricks because he's dumb and desperate is one thing. But any woman he goes to hit on who isn't a conwoman is just going to be creeped out. And her sense of security violated. It's just a very bad look on him, even looking at Tellius material solely. And no, I'm honestly not exaggerating. Guys like Gatrie are scary IRL. And should not be treated as lovable goofballs. There are enough people who don't understand why someone who reacts badly to someone as ... uh, forward as Gatrie and thinks they are just overreacting without media trying to make these guys "softer".

5 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

Gatrie falling for conwomen tricks because he's dumb and desperate is one thing. But any woman he goes to hit on who isn't a conwoman is just going to be creeped out. And her sense of security violated. It's just a very bad look on him, even looking at Tellius material solely. And no, I'm honestly not exaggerating. Guys like Gatrie are scary IRL. And should not be treated as lovable goofballs. There are enough people who don't understand why someone who reacts badly to someone as ... uh, forward as Gatrie and thinks they are just overreacting without media trying to make these guys "softer".

Anyone who looks at Gatrie and goes "hey that guy knows how to get a girl, I should be more like him" needs to have their head checked.  Guys like that make me uncomfortable (I had to deal with one recently), but IMO these guys aren't taking cues solely from the media they consume.  So if a game wants to paint Gatrie as a goofball without addressing any sort of positive change, I'll just file it under "badly written character".

My only thought is that Linhart should've grabbed one of the bird laguz as well.  It's really hard to ignore a pair of wings!

Skimmed the comments here and yeesh, there sure is a lot of Gatrie-hate. Personally, I find him to be an endearing dumbell, and I find his (and others') earnest (yet fruitless) pursuit of ladies to be hilarious and even cute. Probably because it tends to make the goofballs be all flowery and over the top (thinking specifically of Sain here, but Inigo and Sylvain also fir this bill), but in Gatrie's case, he's just earnest, sincere, and dumb and I even actually feel kind of bad for the guy. I think it'd be great if he found a lady who reciprocated his feelings. I get the sense that once he finds a gal like that, he'll stop looking elsewhere; I think the guy just wants to be loved as someone else's special someone, and personally, I find that adorable. (Not attractive, but adorable. Like a baby duck following after various strangers.)

8 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

Also, desperation is a very poor look on a guy. Or a girl.

I wasn't trying to defend him. It started with a nitpick of mine on the canonicity bit (probably should've been wordier and gentler on that in retrospect), and then I provided a pinch of old dialogue that might make you feel slightly better. Thats all I set out to do.

As for my own opinion on Gatrie, not quite sure where he ranks in the Tellius crew for me. Within the in the lower half within all likelihood, and towards the bottom of the GMs specifically (although in terms of being monotone, Mia is worse), but I can't figure out an exact positioning. I am capable of sometimes setting aside me not liking someone's behavior if they were to do it IRL, yet being fine with it a video game, see Naesala and also Jugdral's Travant, but whether or not I should is another open matter.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer