The Giver is a great book

♠Soul♠

It's like one of the few books I ever read, and it was around 5 years ago. I still remember details of the story and some of the characters, and I really like how it continues into a series.

I like the dynamic between Jonas and Gabriel. He was just a random baby he picked up and decided to "save", and he had absolutely no reason to do that. It was a risk and a carry for him, and he did it anyway, in spite of not even being sure of what was going to happen once they got out of the community.

I never even got into the series after that, but I've been curious about it for a while, namely Gathering Blue.

I like how this "Leader" person is apparently Jonas, and you even see Gabriel afterwards and you find out about his real mother.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been I think at least a decade since I read Gathering Blue, I can't really remember it at all. The Giver is good. I sometimes wonder if the Giver's role was purely ceremonial, or whether the Givers held onto memories that even those in control of the society didn't have access to, or what.

• 1 month later...

"The Giver" was one of my favorite books growing up. I first read it before I was Jonas' age, before I even understood what "the stirrings" were, haha. Even then, though, it left so many impacts on me. Discovering just how Jonas was "seeing beyond", or learning the true nature of "Release", were such head-turners. As much as no re-reading can capture the roller coasted of the first time, it's the sort of book that I can draw something new from every time I read it again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2021 at 8:56 PM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

"The Giver" was one of my favorite books growing up. I first read it before I was Jonas' age, before I even understood what "the stirrings" were, haha. Even then, though, it left so many impacts on me. Discovering just how Jonas was "seeing beyond", or learning the true nature of "Release", were such head-turners. As much as no re-reading can capture the roller coasted of the first time, it's the sort of book that I can draw something new from every time I read it again.

Oh, yeah, I remember that... but I was 19 when I read it, not that it mattered much. It was still a great experience.

And I'd disagree. I feel that if I read it now, I'd still enjoy it as much, since I read it 7 years ago (roughly). I still like the Jonas-Gabriel dynamic. They had no real sibling relationship (not even "assigned" as a family) or anything, but he still took responsibility of a some baby that was a extra weight for him on his journey. In fact, this kind of reminds me of The Promised Neverland a bit...

• 3 months later...

I haven't read this book yet, but I've heard from my friends that it's very cool. You have advised quite cool schools that I want to visit. I am currently a freshman at the university and am very interested in becoming a scientist. At https://assignmentbro.com/uk/science-homework-help I find a lot of useful information and help with homework.

Edited by ZanderColeman