Which mediocre hero do you enjoy using?

defensedefumer

I'm genuinely curious - do any of you favour and continue to use any sub-par heroes, even though better alternatives are available in your barracks?

I for one enjoy using vanilla Camilla and Effie, as I had great memories with them during my time with Conquest.

Forget sub- par, by all means Summer Linde shouldn't even be on most tier lists thanks to Summer Mia.

Thanks to the Courtly Fan though, Linde has something of a new lease on life, which I'm not sure many other units doomed to never receive a refine can try to claim.

I'm guessing this means heroes you can get at 3- and 4 stars with regular summoning, not seasonal heroes. As for me, my regular team has Boey on it. He's built as an especially good colorless bow-killer, but he's actually very effective in a lot of scenarios, especially thanks to being +10 and having Bonfire. Time it right, and he nukes pretty well and can take some solid hits. Plus, with his refine, the only weapons he can't counter are dragonstones, not that he needs to worry about that much with original Alm on the team.

+10+20 Resplendent Lyn [+Spd]
Sol Katti [unique]
Reposition
Moonbow
Swift Sparrow 3
Wrath 3
Time's Pulse 3
Def Ploy 3

57 Spd on initiation before buffs covers pretty much everything in standard PvE modes, and a guaranteed consecutive follow-up plus fully recharging Moonbow with +10 damage at the start of each turn below 75% HP is pretty nice, even if it's since been power-creeped to all hell.

Also, this thing is just a guilty pleasure:

+10 Yune [+Res]
Chaos Manifest
Reposition
Moonbow
Fortress Def/Res 3
Guard 3
Chaos Named
Res Ploy 3

53 visible Res is funny. If I had the resources to max out her Dragonflowers and give her Summoner Support, she'd get up to 58 visible Res, and could get up to 62 with with Fortress Def/Res Sacred Seal, though at that point, it would be excessively overkill.

She really needs a Chaos Named II. Gunnthra just blows her debuffing ability out of the water.

@ANDREW BENINTENDO Wrong game, mate. You're in the Heroes forum.

2 hours ago, Mercakete said:

I'm guessing this means heroes you can get at 3- and 4 stars with regular summoning, not seasonal heroes.

I beg to differ. Even the earliest seasonal heroes can be considered "sub-par" these days (does anyone remember that Chrom, Lucina, and Xander all have a Spring Alt?), and keep in mind the regular pool has such gems as Nino, Sothe, and Ares in the 3/4 star pool.

Edited by Xenomata

23 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

I beg to differ. Even the earliest seasonal heroes can be considered "sub-par" these days (does anyone remember that Chrom, Lucina, and Xander all have a Spring Alt?), and keep in mind the regular pool has such gems as Nino, Sothe, and Ares in the 3/4 star pool.

Did you think I was referring to your post? I was only trying to figure out what was meant by "mediocre heroes" and pitching my guess since it wasn't clearly defined.

I pick the best Heroes for the job. I do not care about using favorites. The closest thing to doing anything with my favorite characters would be summoning them for collection purposes, and very rarely give some of them high end fodder despite not using them. One of my favorite character is Edelgard, and despite benching the infantry version, I gave her Atk/Res Solo 4, Lull Atk/Def, and Rouse Atk/Res, and I think I sacrificed like three 5* units for her.

28 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Did you think I was referring to your post? I was only trying to figure out what was meant by "mediocre heroes" and pitching my guess since it wasn't clearly defined.

I think the OP meant less powerful units in general since they used subpar as an additional description and gave two examples. Effie's Refine is absolutely awful compared to others. While I do not fully agree that Camilla is subpar since she has the potential to be a really good support unit once more Goads and Wards are available as Sacred Seals, Camilla is technically subpar right now compared to other support units like M!Corrin.

5 hours ago, defensedefumer said:

I'm genuinely curious - do any of you favour and continue to use any sub-par heroes, even though better alternatives are available in your barracks?

I for one enjoy using vanilla Camilla and Effie, as I had great memories with them during my time with Conquest.

Edited by XRay

16 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

What no I didn't, I would think you'd have quoted me if you were referring to me specifically.

I honestly think the OP means any unit who can't be considered at "the top of the meta", which in most cases automatically disqualifies anyone who doesn't have a Prf weapon, and almost every early seasonal unit is at the bottom of the barrel in that regard. In my case, Summer Linde would not be anywhere near the top of the meta compared to Summer Mia, but even after summoning Mia I still prefer to use Linde.
Among the regular 3/4* pool there are a number of amazing units with their own uses and strategies, Nino being a fine example of a well-aged unit, and OP does mention Camilla and Effie, both of whom are considerably weaker than other options available even from the same release time. Keep in mind as well, most 5* units are considered meh at best these days (mentioning no Olwens)

In the end I think it has to come down to player opinion as to who is considered a "meh" unit. In most cases it's a pretty easy decision, Young Tiki is not at all considered a fantastic unit by any regard these days, but in some cases like @XRay mentioned it comes down to how a unit is built for use.
...looking through my units again though, I forgot I do sometimes still use my Spring Palla. She isn't at all fantastic by any means, but the Pegasus Carrot she carries does help to shut down the number of Green Armors running around these days. Same with Fates!Selena, though she's using Triangle Adept.

Soleil, Tharja, and pretty much every character I plan on 5* +10-ing. (Outside of Vanilla Camilla.) Most of them are characters I like, so I like using them. And that's all that's really needed for me. I have my Go-to teams for all of the daily stuff, my All Armor/Cavalry/Infantry/Flying teams for the monthly missions, and then I have my fun teams for any other thing I want to do or build. My problem is that there aren't a lot of places for me to use these units, because almost everything is about being competitive or having the right specs for some reward. Maybe if I actually put effort into upgrading these units, they may be more viable...

Kaze, Lukas, OG!Lyon, Ferdinand and Nanna to name a few.  I +10 and use my favs even if they are sub par.

Edited by EricaofRenais

idk if Valter's considered sub-par now due to his surprisingly good refine, but he's in my Arena core and VoH Astra team as an ungodly good red-killer (+10 L!Sigurd and B!Hectors still melts to him which never fails to make me smile. :3). DC plus Noontime + Guard Bearing is a hell of a drug.

Sonia (w/Close Foil), Haar, Nailah, and Hubert (copy-pasted Lysthea's skills) are others that I've went out of my way to bling out so they stay competitive, and who I've seen on the lower side of tier lists. (edit: Titania and Soren too!)

the biggest joy of FEH is spanking a top-tier meta whale enemy team with your lovingly spoiled Zihark/uber favorite, imo. :P

Edited by kradeelav

One of the ones I’m more fond of using is my +10 OG Oboro. Steady Stance 4 on A and SS3 on the seal slot, along with Quick Riposte and Attack Smoke. Along with her effect-refined prf spear, she’s an extremely effective counter to almost every 1-ranged unit not named Brave Eirika. She’s certainly helped out with many a Grand/Legendary/Mythic hero battle!

Here are my favourite sub-par units:

Summer Daraen: (+1) Slaying Lance + (Spd), Repositon, Luna, Spd/Def Solo 3, Repel 3, Spd/Def Rouse 3, Atk/Spd Solo 3

Nemesis: Slaying Sword + (Def), Reposition, Noontime, Distant Counter, Quick Riposte 3, Time’s Pulse 3, Warding Stance 3

Clive (+10): Lordly Lance (Special), Rally Atk/Spe+, Aether, Blue Cavalry Duel 4, Llull Atk/Def 3, Atk Smoke 3, Quick Riposte 3 (Want to change C for Joint Drive Atk)

Edit: I forgot to add Soleil

Soleil (+3): Firesweep Sword +, Reposition, Growing Wind, Life & Death 3, Null Follow Up 3, Rouse Atk/Spe 3, Life & Death 3 (70 visible Atk and 49 speed without the C skill)

Edited by Javi Blizz

Owain, his weapon really needs a major rework similar to Morgan's Grima's Truth.

However, I use him simply because he's Owain. I'm hopeful however it might get something valuable, otherwise I will stop wasting resources on him.

Also adding my Lilina and Eldigan.

Lilina is a pretty reliable Axebreaker bot for me in Arena Assault, especially since a lot of players are passing up on Distant Counter these days (which also lets her take potshots at non-axes).

+10 Resplendent Lilina [+Atk]
Forblaze [unique]
Draw Back
Glimmer
Death Blow 3
Axebreaker 3
Spur Atk 3
[empty]

Dark Mystletainn is overrated. Eldigan gets to be a pile of stats. I hope we get the Fury Sacred Seal sometime soon.

+10+10 Resplendent Eldigan [+Atk]
Mystletainn [unique]
Reposition
Bonfire
Fury 3
Quick Riposte 3
Hone Cavalry
[empty]

2 hours ago, Grandosco said:

One of the ones I’m more fond of using is my +10 OG Oboro. Steady Stance 4 on A and SS3 on the seal slot, along with Quick Riposte and Attack Smoke. Along with her effect-refined prf spear, she’s an extremely effective counter to almost every 1-ranged unit not named Brave Eirika. She’s certainly helped out with many a Grand/Legendary/Mythic hero battle!

Oh shit, I completely forgot about Oboro. She's still a staple Arena Assault unit for me even with a pretty cheap build:

+10 Oboro [+Atk]
Oboro's Spear [unique]
Reposition
Aether
Close Def 3
Quick Riposte 3
Drive Def 2
[empty]

Edited by Ice Dragon

1 hour ago, JimmyBeans said:

+10 Gharnef and his Imhullu screw over OP Edelgard on turn 3 and I can one round her with said Dark Pontifex.

Do you mind if I steal him?  I'm all for having reliable non-blue Edelgard counters!  Legendary Azura turns Leon into a terror for everyone else, and I like her on the team!

Some really interesting stuff here!  I'll just drop a couple of my own:

Young Minerva

+10 Merge, +10 DF, Atk Boon, Res Bane

Weapon-   Dragoon Axe, Assist-   Reposition, Special-  Noontime

A-   Dragoon Shield, B-   Guard Bearing 3, C-   Atk/Def Rein 3  , S-   Steady Breath

Pirate Brigid

+4 Merge, +10 DF, Spd Boon, Res Bane

Weapon-   Spendthrift Bow (+Spd), Assist-   Reposition, Special-   Noontime

A-   Close Foil, B-   Null Follow-up 3, C-   Pulse Smoke 3, S-   Steady Breath

5 hours ago, eclipse said:

Do you mind if I steal him?  I'm all for having reliable non-blue Edelgard counters!  Legendary Azura turns Leon into a terror for everyone else, and I like her on the team!

It's so much fun! although getting to turn 3 can be pretty annoying on some maps.

Spoiler

qIENxAB.png

5 hours ago, JimmyBeans said:

It's so much fun! although getting to turn 3 can be pretty annoying on some maps.

I have to admit that I totally did not realize Gharnef was as fast as he actually is. I had just assumed he was just another run-of-the-mill slow Dark magic user with high Atk and Res.

That said... wow all of his stats other than Spd are mediocre as all get out. It's a shame he's still tenth in line to get a refine among Grail units.