Which mediocre hero do you enjoy using?

defensedefumer

8 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I have to admit that I totally did not realize Gharnef was as fast as he actually is. I had just assumed he was just another run-of-the-mill slow Dark magic user with high Atk and Res.

FYI, FE1/11 Gharnef was speedy. FE1 gave him 18 in a game with a 20 cap, albeit hindered by Imhullu being a weighty 9 with no means of AS loss prevention. Old Mystery killed the Dark Pontifex's Spd, but New Mystery made it somewhat respectable again.

Imhullu's special powers have meant that Gharnef has never needed Def. Res-targeting on a continent where Res growths are consistently very low meant his Mag hasn't had to ever be high for him to deal good damage to the player (and FE1 didn't have Str/Mag matter for mages anyhow). The need to be killed by Starlight alone has kept his HP and Res moderate to low to account for low Mag stats among Archanean mages as well (and he has no Res at all like all enemies in FE1).

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

11 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I have to admit that I totally did not realize Gharnef was as fast as he actually is. I had just assumed he was just another run-of-the-mill slow Dark magic user with high Atk and Res.

That said... wow all of his stats other than Spd are mediocre as all get out. It's a shame he's still tenth in line to get a refine among Grail units.

It's a shame for sure, and with his stats the way they are I don't really know what do with his Iv's so I've kept him neutral haha.

Also I'm glad he broke the dark mage curse of being slow given how fast he is in his own games.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

FYI, FE1/11 Gharnef was speedy. FE1 gave him 18 in a game with a 20 cap, albeit hindered by Imhullu being a weighty 9 with no means of AS loss prevention. Old Mystery killed the Dark Pontifex's Spd, but New Mystery made it somewhat respectable again.

Imhullu's special powers have meant that Gharnef has never needed Def. Res-targeting on a continent where Res growths are consistently very low meant his Mag hasn't had to ever be high for him to deal good damage to the player (and FE1 didn't have Str/Mag matter for mages anyhow). The need to be killed by Starlight alone has kept his HP and Res moderate to low to account for low Mag stats among Archanean mages as well (and he has no Res at all like all enemies in FE1).

Heroes is no stranger to incorporating weapon effects into a character's base stats, though, or at least they were back then when they actually cared to do so and weren't just min-maxing literally every unit's stats.

(Also, Mystery was my only experience with Gharnef, so yeah, in my memory, he was as slow as dirt, that being his slowest incarnation.)

Would everyone introduced in Book 1 count as mediocre at this point in the game's lifespan? Because I still use I lot of characters from back then like Lonqu, OG Cordelia, Lukas, Awakening Tiki, and Raven.

Raigh was seen as one of the most 'blegh' units even at launch and he's still seen as one of the worst units around. I still like using him though and his prf is pretty good for pve stuff. Chad and Lugh aren't winning any awards either, but I use them just as much.

12 hours ago, NSSKG151 said:

Would everyone introduced in Book 1 count as mediocre at this point in the game's lifespan? Because I still use I lot of characters from back then like Lonqu, OG Cordelia, Lukas, Awakening Tiki, and Raven.

I do not think so. Take Raven for example, while I do not think he is super top tier, I do not think he is mediocre either. He is good and competitive with modern axe infantry precisely because he has good stat distribution AND low BST, so that means he has shitty Def/Res so he can get into Wings of Mercy range easier. Similarly, I do not think Cordelia is anywhere near mediocre, and while her Refine sucks since high HP player phase play style has shit support (i.e.: no Wings of Mercy), you can always opt for Spd Refine; new stuff like Atk/Spd Rein keeps her very competitive with modern Galeforcers, and if you really want to stick with the high HP play style, Surge Sparrow and Dive Bomb exist to make it more bearable.

For la crème de la crème, I think Nino and Tharja are among the best, and they are the only nukes that can fully unleash the combined power of Blade tomes and Blazing Specials. Odin can do the same thing, although he has much lower Atk so I would not rank him at the very top with Nino and Tharja, but he still hits like a truck and can actually kill things when properly supported so I think he leans more towards the top than mediocre.

Among Dancers/Singers, Olivia and Azura can Galeforce and/or Dance/Sing, so they have some relevant niches that cream tier Dancers/Singers like Azura: Vallite Songstress cannot fulfill. In contrast, Marianne: Serene Adherent must "Galeforce" and "Dance/Sing" at the same time, so if she does not have an enemy to attack, she cannot "Dance/Sing"; while she is good, I would still rate every single Dancer/Singer higher than her because they can properly Dance/Sing.

Ike: Brave Mercenary and Lucina: Brave Princess is the stardard for which every super tank and support unit is judged upon. While there are units rivalling them in power, they have not been fully surpassed yet. Save tanks do outclass super tanks in PvE content in my opinion, but in Aether Raids, I think Save tanks and super tanks are about even.

Edited by XRay

To answer everyone's question, a mediocre unit is just a unit that you do not regard as even "average".

As I am a casual player, I use this tier 5 list from gamepress as a reference.

Being a sucker for Nohr characters, I generally still use Camilla and her variants, Peri, New Year's Corrin, Picnic Leo and Bridal Charlotte.

In addition, I also still use Lukas, Winter Eirika, Valentine's Titania, Sakura and Summer Sylvain.

2 minutes ago, defensedefumer said:

To answer everyone's question, a mediocre unit is just a unit that you do not regard as even "average".

Mediocre does mean average though, and that is the common meaning. While it can have a negative connotation based on context to denote low quality, I recommend changing mediocre in the title to weak, crappy, or whatever adjective that denotes low quality to make it more clear.

6 minutes ago, XRay said:

Mediocre does mean average though, and that is the common meaning. While it can have a negative connotation based on context to denote low quality, I recommend changing mediocre in the title to weak, crappy, or whatever adjective that denotes low quality to make it more clear.

image.png.127b4d960aae435b7c65beb9308b9322.png

Oh I see how it can be misunderstood. I meant the "low quality" definition, but I guess if people want to use the "moderate" definition I am fine.

My apologies. To move on, can we agree to accept the range from "low to moderate" quality?

31 minutes ago, defensedefumer said:

image.png.127b4d960aae435b7c65beb9308b9322.png

Oh I see how it can be misunderstood. I meant the "low quality" definition, but I guess if people want to use the "moderate" definition I am fine.

My apologies. To move on, can we agree to accept the range from "low to moderate" quality?

That is fine.

I do not think I use any shitty units though recently. I have used Rebecca and weaker units built as hard counters in the past in Arena Assault, but I have not used them anymore now that I have a bunch of strong raw damage nukes, Firesweepers, and multiple Aether Raids styled super tank teams that can handle just about any kind of enemy.

I'm a little surprised GamePress ranks Altena as bottom tier. I mean she has obvious weaknesses for sure, but she's relatively easy to build and is a very effective physical wall in my experience, especially being blue. 

Mine is lv. 40+10 +10df (+Spd) and normally equipped with EGB, Bonfire, Steady Posture 3, QR3, Spd/Def Rein 3, and Steady Posture 2. So on Enemy Phase against non-flying units, she's able to get up to (effective) 64 Atk, 49 Spd and 67 Def without any support. Or 45 Spd and 63 Def with Iote's equipped instead, but still highly useful against primarily physical foes. 

5 minutes ago, uhmuzing said:

I'm a little surprised GamePress ranks Altena as bottom tier.

The one linked in a previous post is specifically an Aether Raids tier list, which is not at all representative of other game modes.

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The one linked in a previous post is specifically an Aether Raids tier list, which is not at all representative of other game modes.

Oh okay that makes more sense. 

I use OG!Eirika in my Arena core. She's a good buffbot, and able to handle Green foes in a pinch too:

+10+20 +Spd
Sieglinde +Eff
Rally Def/Res+
Aether
R Duel Infantry 4
Swordbreaker 3
Joint Hone Spd
Chill Atk (I haven't gotten around to giving her the Chill Def Seal yet, but I will!)