Three Houses challenge runs

I assume by "Commoner Only" you mean the characters who are commoners, not "you have to leave them in the Commoner class"? Because the latter would be pretty difficult!

Your available units are, if I'm not missing anyone: Byleth, Dorothea, Dedue, Ashe, Raphael, Ignatz, Leonie, Shamir, Cyril, Manuela, Alois. With the DLC, Hapi and arguably Yuri. Mercedes is pretty debatable too; the game classes her as one but she's got a Crest and her backstory involves her being tossed from one noble family to another, so it feels like a Petra case to me. Dedue is BL-only, Cyril isn't available on CF and is late on SS, Ashe disappears for a couple maps on VW and SS.

SS feels like the toughest route for it, because you only get one in-house character and can't recruit Cyril until Chapter 12. Reunion at Dawn is gonna be tricky regardless... you basically need to make Byleth a strong flier and then really favour whichever unit(s) is forced on the westside (Assassin Dorothea, Ignatz/Ashe with Hunter's Volley, Wyvern Leonie would be my recommendations). But I think it's reasonably doable on all routes. For flavour I'd think GD (the house with the most commoners) or CF (the route with the anti-nobility themes) would make the most sense, but do whatever you like.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I assume by "Commoner Only" you mean the characters who are commoners, not "you have to leave them in the Commoner class"? Because the latter would be pretty difficult!

Yes, the former 🙂

Your available units are, if I'm not missing anyone: Byleth, Dorothea, Dedue, Ashe, Raphael, Ignatz, Leonie, Shamir, Cyril, Manuela, Alois. With the DLC, Hapi and arguably Yuri. Mercedes is pretty debatable too; the game classes her as one but she's got a Crest and her backstory involves her being tossed from one noble family to another, so it feels like a Petra case to me. Dedue is BL-only, Cyril isn't available on CF and is late on SS, Ashe disappears for a couple maps on VW and SS.

I was thinking of using Mercedes because her current conditions aren't really that of living in a noble house (but not Hanneman or Catherine for similar "leaving nobility behind" cases), and I was thinking of using Flayn and Seteth too, who are really neither Commoners nor Nobles but which I'd rather use in a SS road. And yes to Yuri and Hapi too.

SS feels like the toughest route for it, because you only get one in-house character and can't recruit Cyril until Chapter 12. Reunion at Dawn is gonna be tricky regardless... you basically need to make Byleth a strong flier and then really favour whichever unit(s) is forced on the westside (Assassin Dorothea, Ignatz/Ashe with Hunter's Volley, Wyvern Leonie would be my recommendations). But I think it's reasonably doable on all routes.

Thanks for the advice! That's useful. Maybe I should allow Petra in if I keep my SS idea...

For flavour I'd think GD (the house with the most commoners) or CF (the route with the anti-nobility themes) would make the most sense, but do whatever you like.

In term of flavor, I was thinking SS because it's the only road that lets me not use a Lord, leaving Byleth as a "Commoner Lord" for it only.

1 hour ago, salinea said:

In term of flavor, I was thinking SS because it's the only road that lets me not use a Lord, leaving Byleth as a "Commoner Lord" for it only.

Ah yeah, good point!

I would unquestionably consider Seteth and Flayn to be nobles. Their base class is Noble (you can turn them into it, if for some reason you ever wanted to), they have major Crests, and they have class privilege you'd associate with nobles. And I think you'll do fine without them; the characters you'll otherwise be using should largely cover their bases.

Petra will definitely make Reunion at Dawn (and the run in general) easier. You'll have three units for Chapter 1 (Byleth, Dorothea, Petra), and then five for Chapter 2 (Yuri, Hapi) as opposed to two/four.

If you have the DLC, I realize that I missed Anna on my list of commoners. At minimum she will be a welcome warm body in Chapter 3 until you can recruit some out-of-house folks and Shamir.

On 12/31/2021 at 9:13 AM, clarissassin said:

Late to the conversation, but I'm doing a Silver Snow challenge where from the beginning of the game I can only use church people (so a lot of early chapters are only Byleth, or Byleth with Edeglard in a corner) on maddening NG+. (...)

Additionally, I have a NO SHOPS rule. 

Interesting.  I will say that I suspect a lot of limited / no shops playthroughs tend to reduce to "actually, do a magic playthrough", but limiting it to Church characters only certainly throws a kink in the all-mages plan..  this is the Hanneman favoritism run!  I guess Brawlers / Grapplers are still handy too thanks to Unarmed Combat, but that's just Alois or some off-build of M-Byleth under the restriction.  Should be interesting to hear how this goes.

• 2 months later...

One run I've thought about is a House Leader run. Before you ask, no you don't only just use the House Leaders. This challenge is probably easier than a lot of others but might just take a bit more time thinking about your actions. Basically, you pick your House Leader, and your mission is to max out all their possible supports before the end credits. This includes both their default house members and all possible recruits and your Byleth of course. You can do it on any difficulty, but no New Game+ allowed. Otherwise, this challenge just doesn't work. Probably more of a time sink than other challenges, but it would mean you'd have to think more about your moves. If you do it on classic, then if any of the possible support characters die, then the challenge is failed. Any S Rank you want is up to you. You could do this with other units if you prefer, but the House Leaders are just the most central to the story. Makes them into more of the main character if you care about plot.

2 hours ago, wissenschaft said:

Apparently, someone beat this game on maddening never leaving the beginner "noble/commoner" class. And of course, we also have 0% growth clears on maddening. So yeah, anything is possible. lol 3 Houses is a TOTALLY balanced game.

You say that last part sarcastically, but... honestly, for a single-player customization-heavy RPG, I'd argue that this is the mark of a balanced game. The game is capable of presenting a challenge (Maddening is generally considered decently tough by most players in my experience; I have multiple friends who refuse to play it because it sounds too tough), but flexible enough that you can beat it in a wide variety of different ways.

• 1 month later...

Apologies for the doublepost. I figured that updating this thread made more sense than starting a new one - better to keep challenge run ideas in one place.

My latest run idea is, essentially, "Old-school FE". In short, no battle mechanics introduced in Awakening or the games released since. That means:

• no Combat Arts
  • no gauntlets
  • no Gambits
    • Of note, I am allowing battalions themselves. They feel like vaguely equipment, and the lack of combat arts and abilities (Death Blow, etc.) will already result in lower damage/hit compared to normal... losing battalion boosts would make my offence feel anemic. I'd want to play on Hard if I did that, I think.
  • no adjutants
  • no Rallies
  • no abilities, except for Prowess (which mimics the weapon ranks of older games, IMO) and Swordbreaker/Lancebreaker/Axebreaker (which mimic the weapon triangle). Personal abilities can't be unequipped so I'm "stuck" with using them.
  • units can only use weapons/magic which their current class is proficient in. A big one, it means that cavaliers and pegasus knights can only use swords and lances, archers/snipers can only use bows, etc. No more backup bows on everyone!
    • Commoner and Noble have no proficiencies at all, so instead, I'm allowed to choose one weapon type per character (including Reason or Faith as options) until they leave the class. I can't change once I've made that choice.

The challenge has no effect on out-of-battle stuff; you could layer a no-monastery run on top of that to get a truly old feel... but probably not on Maddening NG, unless you're braver than I am.

I decided randomly to do this on Azure Moon. I was expecting that no Close Counter or Curved Shot might nerf bows a bit but no they're still really good! Mini Bow is such a great earlygame weapon, and other weapons losing a lot of damage from combat arts mean bows lose one of their weaknesses. Bow!Felix was probably my earlygame MVP (just imagine how good he'd be if I'd banned battalions!). The lack of abilities means that later-joining PCs might be better than normal... except that I really don't want to nerf my supports too badly, since they're a nice source of accuracy. I'm at Chapter 6 now.

Only thing I'm really dreading is Chapter 13. Many ways of beating that fight involve abilities (Sword Avoid, Alert Stance+, etc.), Reposition to move Dimitri, timely gambit use, etc., which I won't have. And I've already benched Annette and Ashe. I was thinking of banning Dismount, but now I think I won't (it is in Thracia, I suppose!), just because I'm not sure I will be able to reliably win with a non-flying Byleth, or a flying Byleth who can't take advantage of dismount to dodge + not die to the archers.

56 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

My latest run idea is, essentially, "Old-school FE". In short, no battle mechanics introduced in Awakening or the games released since. That means:

Sounds like a fun one! I like the limited weapon access, in particular. I do wonder how thematic "no abilities" is, though, since Jugdral and Tellius both had robust skill systems. If I were doing it, I'd probably swap out battalions, but go all-in with abilities.

10 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Sounds like a fun one! I like the limited weapon access, in particular. I do wonder how thematic "no abilities" is, though, since Jugdral and Tellius both had robust skill systems. If I were doing it, I'd probably swap out battalions, but go all-in with abilities.

Yeah I went back and forth on abilities. To me, the cobbling together of abilities from the class system feels very Awakening/Fates/3H; the system in earlier games was often much more limited. FE4 abilities were essentially fixed; FE9 and FE10 gave you some highly limited scrolls as well; neither really feels like the same thing.That said, yeah, at a certain point it's all arbitrary, and I could certainly see dropping battalions instead. I will say "no abilities" is pretty fun for changing the calculus of classes; no longer do I gravitate towards the certain small set of Intermediate ones.

8 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Yeah I went back and forth on abilities. To me, the cobbling together of abilities from the class system feels very Awakening/Fates/3H; the system in earlier games was often much more limited. FE4 abilities were essentially fixed; FE9 and FE10 gave you some highly limited scrolls as well; neither really feels like the same thing.That said, yeah, at a certain point it's all arbitrary, and I could certainly see dropping battalions instead. I will say "no abilities" is pretty fun for changing the calculus of classes; no longer do I gravitate towards the certain small set of Intermediate ones.

Well, the question is whether it's a distinction of "degree" or "kind". Certainly, Awakening expanded the Skills system in a big way. And in 3H, with as many as 9 skills on one unit, it's arguably the biggest it's ever been. Yet there's an argument that every game has had skills: even going back to FE1, Thieves have the Lockpick skill, while Xane has the Imitate skill. The games don't get explicit about skills until FE4, however. Thracia added equippable skills, and while the GBA games took a step back, Tellius returned them to the limelight. 

I'm curious - which Intermediate classes have you been using? I'd imagine Brigand to be far less desirable, with the loss of Death Blow. Likewise, Dark Mage would almost certainly be better than Mage, due to a stronger spell and higher Magic modifier. On the flip side, Cavalier would be great for its mobility, now that its lackluster mastery is irrelevant. 

2 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I'm curious - which Intermediate classes have you been using? I'd imagine Brigand to be far less desirable, with the loss of Death Blow. Likewise, Dark Mage would almost certainly be better than Mage, due to a stronger spell and higher Magic modifier. On the flip side, Cavalier would be great for its mobility, now that its lackluster mastery is irrelevant. 

I've just hit Intermediate, but the ones I'm planning to use are Cavalier (two weapon types, mobile, good stats... poor growths are its only downside, but "-1 speed longterm" isn't really a good enough reason not to use it), Archer (extra range still good), Thief (bows and a melee option, speed, locktouch), and Pegasus Knight (obvious). Brigand still has a slight niche (axes, str, str growth) but it's definitely one of the weaker options now. For mages I was thinking Mage for characters who don't yet have Fire/Wind (i.e. benefit from the extra hit/lightness of Fire), and Priest otherwise (for the slight buff to healing). Hadn't even thought about Dark Mage! I certainly didn't beat Jeritza in his Chapter 4 appearance (doing that with no gambits or CAs? Ew) but it might make sense for male mages later... perhaps. It's a much more even fight than normal.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/3/2022 at 7:33 PM, Dark Holy Elf said:

I was expecting that no Close Counter or Curved Shot might nerf bows a bit but no they're still really good! Mini Bow is such a great earlygame weapon, and other weapons losing a lot of damage from combat arts mean bows lose one of their weaknesses. Bow!Felix was probably my earlygame MVP (just imagine how good he'd be if I'd banned battalions!). The lack of abilities means that later-joining PCs might be better than normal... except that I really don't want to nerf my supports too badly, since they're a nice source of accuracy. I'm at Chapter 6 now

Are you allowing Blacksmith? I'm not sure if the blacksmith existed in/before Awakening as I haven't played anything after GBA and before 3H, yet.

Re Bows: Mini Bow+ is an excellent weapon that I've used for its 1-2 range without close counter and nice crit chance on several builds. And hey, you might actually have a use for a longbow with your current set of restrictions!

On 5/3/2022 at 7:33 PM, Dark Holy Elf said:

Only thing I'm really dreading is Chapter 13. Many ways of beating that fight involve abilities (Sword Avoid, Alert Stance+, etc.), Reposition to move Dimitri, timely gambit use, etc., which I won't have. And I've already benched Annette and Ashe. I was thinking of banning Dismount, but now I think I won't (it is in Thracia, I suppose!), just because I'm not sure I will be able to reliably win with a non-flying Byleth, or a flying Byleth who can't take advantage of dismount to dodge + not die to the archers.

I realize I'm not telling you anything you don't know here, but I would try and leverage lances/swordbreaker/Jeralt's mercenaries or similar Avo Battalion/ and a bush, and just Pray for some misses.

It's hilarious how useless axes are on this map. I like to put a lance in Ashe's inventory to give to Gilbert when they appear next to each other; and an extra steel/silver shield if you can spare it. He becomes... slightly less useless that way 😕

Only other thought that comes to mind is protection stacking on Dimitri or Byleth with the Aegis Shield and Dedue's Battalion, both of course available on AM route. And any defense stat boosters, if you're allowing those.

If you're already past Chapter 13, please share how it went and what you did 👍

I have done a "No Aux/Paralogue No Optional Monastery Exploration" Run on Azure Moon. Not quite an old-school FE feel in terms of gameplay but in terms of gameplay pacing.

The rules used:

• No Optional Battles: No Aux Battles/Paralogues (besides the forced one in Chapter 2)
  • Monastery Exploration in Chapter 1, 2, and the first week of Chapter 4 and 6
  • Units must have 100% pass rate to cert into a new class. This done to discourage ability grinding/stacking and rigging promotions.
  • Dimitri must be at Level 1 at the end of Chapter 12. To make the challenge "appear harder"
  • All maps must be routed if possible: "Kill Every Last of Them". Done to fully engage with the map design.
  • All Recruits must be asked directly by Monastery dialogue. No B-Support Auto Recruit.
  • No DLC Stat Boosters or Items (Chalice of Beginnings)

Because of the limited monastery this means:

• No Saint Statues: Flayn is unavailable for the quest in Chapter 6 for story reasons.
  • No Dancer
  • No S-Support
  • Can only ask for a Mission Assistant in Chapter 4

I have a playlist for all 22 Chapters of the Blue Lions/Azure Moon Route. Each video is edited and shorten to shows the completion of each story chapter in about 4-9 minutes, along with some strategy notes and weird map behavior that I found and exploited in the video descriptions.

This was probably the most fun I had playing the game. I would recommend it to people that dislike the monastery tedium or grinding aspect of the game, maybe with more lax rules (include paralogues, no class cert restrictions, etc...).

6 hours ago, Bylift said:

Are you allowing Blacksmith? I'm not sure if the blacksmith existed in/before Awakening as I haven't played anything after GBA and before 3H, yet.

Re Bows: Mini Bow+ is an excellent weapon that I've used for its 1-2 range without close counter and nice crit chance on several builds. And hey, you might actually have a use for a longbow with your current set of restrictions!

Forging exists in, funnily enough, all four games between the ones you've played: Tellius and the DS remakes. So yeah, it's allowed.

Longbow is indeed decently useful. Not very accurate, but the option is better than nothing. And of course it still serves the exact same purpose it's good for in normal runs: increasing your threat range for linked attacks.

6 hours ago, Bylift said:

It's hilarious how useless axes are on this map. I like to put a lance in Ashe's inventory to give to Gilbert when they appear next to each other; and an extra steel/silver shield if you can spare it. He becomes... slightly less useless that way 😕

Only other thought that comes to mind is protection stacking on Dimitri or Byleth with the Aegis Shield and Dedue's Battalion, both of course available on AM route. And any defense stat boosters, if you're allowing those.

I'm at Chapter 11 now, so it's coming up! I'm planning to use Lancebreaker / Galatea Pegasus / Wyvern Byleth, and Dimitri is indeed stacked for protection. Definitely planning to have Ashe ferry in the things you mentioned, too, yes!

Axes are still useful there because thief-type enemies don't have Axebreaker (just the Mercenaries). I definitely expect to use a mix of lances (hit/evade) and axes (power) there, depending on what I need. Thank goodness Wyvern Rider gets both.

2 hours ago, triabolical said:

This was probably the most fun I had playing the game. I would recommend it to people that dislike the monastery tedium or grinding aspect of the game, maybe with more lax rules (include paralogues, no class cert restrictions, etc...)

Nice! I do love reading about reduced-monastery runs. One complaint about 3H is that some people find the monastery a drag... well, for those who feel that way, you can skip it! Or just pick out the parts you want.

How did you find Dimitri, given the special rules you used for him? And with no explore after chapter 6 and no B rank auto-recruit, did you end up recruiting anyone?

Hmm, I'm not sure if making a Super-Dimitri really qualifies as a challenge restriction!  Makes Reunion at Dawn even more hellish, sure, but in a restricted Monastery + No Paralogues run, I'd be more inclined to consider doing it anyway since some various late-game builds will be harder to pull off without cool Paralogue goodies or a bunch of skill training from Explore actions, and a stat-jacked Dimitri could be just the thing to fix that.

I was worried about how exactly Byleth was going to recruit anyone under these conditions + losing Dedue for good, but right, the Ashen Wolves to the rescue to fill the ranks.

3 hours ago, SnowFire said:

Hmm, I'm not sure if making a Super-Dimitri really qualifies as a challenge restriction!  Makes Reunion at Dawn even more hellish, sure, but in a restricted Monastery + No Paralogues run, I'd be more inclined to consider doing it anyway since some various late-game builds will be harder to pull off without cool Paralogue goodies or a bunch of skill training from Explore actions, and a stat-jacked Dimitri could be just the thing to fix that.

I was worried about how exactly Byleth was going to recruit anyone under these conditions + losing Dedue for good, but right, the Ashen Wolves to the rescue to fill the ranks.

Hence why "make the challenge appear harder" is in quotes. It was actually needed to get people to level 20 before chapter 12. Dimitri get exp would make getting to advanced classes a lot harder. Chapter 13 might be interesting for you to watch to see what I did to completed. Lots of exploiting odd map mechanics used in the run. 

17 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Nice! I do love reading about reduced-monastery runs. One complaint about 3H is that some people find the monastery a drag... well, for those who feel that way, you can skip it! Or just pick out the parts you want.

How did you find Dimitri, given the special rules you used for him? And with no explore after chapter 6 and no B rank auto-recruit, did you end up recruiting anyone?

You should watch the run. I made it so each chapter is completely watchable by making them under 10 minutes long. Recruits were Leonie, Bernadetta, Cyril, the Ashen Wolves, were used. Catherine, Shamir were recruited for other reasons. Dimitri helped a lot by allowing better exp allocation for other units.

19 hours ago, triabolical said:

You should watch the run. I made it so each chapter is completely watchable by making them under 10 minutes long. Recruits were Leonie, Bernadetta, Cyril, the Ashen Wolves, were used. Catherine, Shamir were recruited for other reasons. Dimitri helped a lot by allowing better exp allocation for other units.

I've been watching and am at chapter 14. It's a good run and I like the music choices.

Something to consider on future videos is maybe every couple of chapters you could slowly scroll through the unit detail screens so we can pause and see what their inventory, ability levels, and equipped abilities are?

I can't believe your Ingrid strength. She got 18 of the first possible 20 strength levels. I'm lucky if she gets her strength over 22 by the end of the GAME naturally and she's already over 30 by level 20 in your run. She's got better stats than Byless 😄 What a legend.

One question I have is, at the end of certain chapters you seem to be getting multiple levels on certain characters (i.e. Dimitri chapter 13). Can you explain how you are doing that? It seems to be some form of abusing boss XP but I don't get how units like Pallardo and Randolph don't seem to be fighting back?

On 5/24/2022 at 12:08 PM, Bylift said:

Well, I am now past Chapter 13! Predictably it was the hardest fight of the run so far, but I did manage to beat it without a full reset at least. I'd gotten through many fights without using Divine Pulse, but this was not one; ended up using them both to erase some bad RNG luck and just to offset my own boneheaded mistakes.

Relevant units were Dimitri (Lancebreaker, Fetters of Dromi + Aegis Shield, mostly used Brave+, Iron+, or a Short Spear), Byleth (Wyvern Rider, Lancebreaker, various axes and lances, various accessories as needed including shield, Speed Ring), and Warlock Mercedes (Gloucester Knights, Thyrsus / Healing Staff / Silver Shield / Magic Staff). Annette and Ashe both basically had not been used. Felix/Sylvain/Ingrid were all competent but by the time they're able to influence the battle meaningfully, it's basically over.

Ashe died 😭 but the only way I saw to save him involved rewinding multiple turns. He was Level 1 going into the timeskip so obviously wasn't going to be used again, it's just a moral loss to not have him.

I had Byleth go south after taking out the initial enemies, aggroing the south group first and taking them out with Mercedes and Byleth while Dimitri lured any stragglers while staying out of range of the north Sniper to avoid aggoring that group. Sadly one Thief did end up being unable to be baited; the mistake I made was not putting a healing item on Dimitri so he could heal himself, as I assumed Mercedes would just Physic him, but her turns were too valuable elsewhere. Said Thief killed Ashe. After that I banded the remaining units together and took out the group anchored by the north Sniper. I then made a key tactical error and accidentally baited a whole bunch of enemies near Pallardo at the same time as the small group behind the door just east of Ashe/Gilbert's starting point, ended up rewinding a couple turns to fix that. Rest of the fight wasn't too bad.

MVP was the Brave Lance+, which I had forged before the timeskip from the DLC arena quest reward. Both Dimitri and Byleth used it to one-shot a huge number of threatening enemies, trading it on several occasions.

Annette, even at base level, somehow does more damage with Cutting Gale than Gilbert does with a Javelin, and has more accuracy. I was in awe. This is despite Gilbert starting with the (illegal) Dex+4 equipped.

On 5/26/2022 at 11:47 AM, Bylift said:

I've been watching and am at chapter 14. It's a good run and I like the music choices.

One question I have is, at the end of certain chapters you seem to be getting multiple levels on certain characters (i.e. Dimitri chapter 13). Can you explain how you are doing that? It seems to be some form of abusing boss XP but I don't get how units like Pallardo and Randolph don't seem to be fighting back?

You can repeatedly farm exp from dealing chip damage to boss. It's easier to do if the boss doesn't move and they are on a heal tile. If they can move, why not just make them not move? 

Chapter 14, Bernadetta kept using Encloser to force Randolph on the heal tile. Dimitri and Constance attacked at 2 range repeatedly.

On 5/27/2022 at 11:00 PM, Dark Holy Elf said:

Ashe died 😭 but the only way I saw to save him involved rewinding multiple turns. He was Level 1 going into the timeskip so obviously wasn't going to be used again, it's just a moral loss to not have him.

RIP Ashe. He was never cut out for war.

On 5/27/2022 at 11:00 PM, Dark Holy Elf said:

Annette, even at base level, somehow does more damage with Cutting Gale than Gilbert does with a Javelin, and has more accuracy. I was in awe. This is despite Gilbert starting with the (illegal) Dex+4 equipped

Lol Gilbert. He's so hard to use on this map in Maddening. If only you could give him swordbreaker beforehand. That would at least help him hit something.

This run sounds really challenging. Thanks for the updates!

On 5/27/2022 at 11:45 PM, triabolical said:

Chapter 14, Bernadetta kept using Encloser to force Randolph on the heal tile. Dimitri and Constance attacked at 2 range repeatedly

ENCLOSER! I always forget it exists but man it comes in clutch sometimes. Thanks for explaining.

On 5/31/2022 at 1:22 PM, drattakbowser said:

Other idea : Auto-battle mode

I don't know if that'd be possible in anything other than Normal tbh. The AI makes really dumb moves. Wouldn't even trust it in Hard, let alone Maddening.