How is the Tomb Raider PS4 trilogy?

Faellin

One of my friends is selling some of his old PS4 games, and in that list is the Tomb Raider PS4 trilogy. He offered 10$ for each of them. And as a rather big Uncharted fan I was very tempted to take him up on this offer.

Just before I pick them up tommorow (already made up my mind on getting them). Thought i'd try to drum up some conversation on these games. I hear they are extremely good and all, and since they are fairly old at this point (I believe shadow of the tomb raider is like 3-4 years old by now)

Never played a tomb raider game in the past either, but i've seen people compare these new games as basically a darker toned Uncharted style experience.

Edited by Faellin

The Tomb Raider reboot trilogy are a decent action shooter games. Compared to the Uncharted games it's more of a Rambo simulator than a fun world traveling adventure . I find the Rise of the Tomb Raider to be the best of the series with more elaborate puzzles and extended play-through. Story-wise it's decent, usually about the daddy issues Lara faces; fighting off mercenaries.  At times it can feel unconformable how much want to brutalize Lara Croft. But that's my two cents.

I only played the first of the three and it didn't leave much of an impression on me. 10 bucks each sounds like a great deal though. Especially if it's going to a friend and not some rando online. Modern Tomb Raider to me seems more like a third person Far Cry title - more sandboxy than Uncharted's tightly constructed chapters. But I mean Far Cry in a good way. Junk food games, I call them. Games that are going to present a ton of stuff for you to do in between action set pieces. But in a way that's never boring, feel like homework, or drags on too long. And before you know it hours have passed. It won't present groundbreaking game design, but it's a great choice for gaming on a budget.

21 hours ago, Faellin said:

One of my friends is selling some of his old PS4 games, and in that list is the Tomb Raider PS4 trilogy. He offered 10$ for each of them. And as a rather big Uncharted fan I was very tempted to take him up on this offer.

Just before I pick them up tommorow (already made up my mind on getting them). Thought i'd try to drum up some conversation on these games. I hear they are extremely good and all, and since they are fairly old at this point (I believe shadow of the tomb raider is like 3-4 years old by now)

Never played a tomb raider game in the past either, but i've seen people compare these new games as basically a darker toned Uncharted style experience.

Basically the most ""2013" game you could think of.

Extremely linear shooter with tons of forced walking/cutscenes and quick time events with only 4 weapons.

I personally found it an incredibly tedious slog worse than the previous TR games with 2013 and Rise wasn't any better. (Didn't bother playing shadow.)

They're drastically different from the older games.

Edited by Samz707

Well I suppose I'll be the odd one out here xD I thoroughly enjoyed them. Especially the first one, in fact I still return to replay it every so often. The second one was pretty good as well, though the third one felt... less complete than the others. Which is probably what one expects from a trilogy. Anyway, I'd say they're definitely worth a play, especially the first one.

• 2 weeks later...

@Faellin did you manage to play it? I have good memories of this trilogy. The stories are BS but maaaan, some of the scripted scenes and set pieces are awesome. "Rise" is the best of the bunch. It actually has proper tombs to raid and the winter setting makes it stand out imho. 

Overall you get three pretty and fun action games. You can't go wrong here, especially if you like Uncharted. 

15 hours ago, know_naim said:

@Faellin did you manage to play it? I have good memories of this trilogy. The stories are BS but maaaan, some of the scripted scenes and set pieces are awesome. "Rise" is the best of the bunch. It actually has proper tombs to raid and the winter setting makes it stand out imho. 

Overall you get three pretty and fun action games. You can't go wrong here, especially if you like Uncharted. 

Just finished the second game last night. Moving onto the 3rd once I get some more free time

So far, i'm really enjoying the games. Rise was a definite step up over the first. And i'm really looking forward to the 3rd. But at the same time i'm a bit worried it won't really live up to the 2nd. Trilogy syndrome, where the 3rd is usually vastly inferior to the 2nd. This is very common in game trilogies.

Edited by Faellin