Flavor preferences are pretty genius

I'm not really into the dating sim part of Fire Emblem, but I am definitely into the esoteric characterization aspect, so I really like the little touches that can be given to characters by giving them flavor preferences.

For example, I find it more humanizing that Silque likes carrots than I would have found any tragic backstory they could have given her. A lot of the times authors are tempted to substitute backstory for personality, but flavor preferences are the most "simple thing about a person" you could have. While I don't feel they're as well-implemented in Three Houses (due to the removal of food items and character reactions to eating them), I'm still glad it returned a little bit.

Also there was a collaboration between Shadows of Valentia and 7/11 where you could get food items from 7/11 that every character loved eating and I personally find that incredible. It's like the cup noodle thing in FFXV, perfectly stupid and I love it.

3 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I'm not really into the dating sim part of Fire Emblem, but I am definitely into the esoteric characterization aspect, so I really like the little touches that can be given to characters by giving them flavor preferences.

For example, I find it more humanizing that Silque likes carrots than I would have found any tragic backstory they could have given her. A lot of the times authors are tempted to substitute backstory for personality, but flavor preferences are the most "simple thing about a person" you could have. While I don't feel they're as well-implemented in Three Houses (due to the removal of food items and character reactions to eating them), I'm still glad it returned a little bit.

Also there was a collaboration between Shadows of Valentia and 7/11 where you could get food items from 7/11 that every character loved eating and I personally find that incredible. It's like the cup noodle thing in FFXV, perfectly stupid and I love it.

My personal favourite is the “bitter” flavour, which only applies to Medicinal Syrup as a consumable item, but all alcoholic beverages (except ram wine) are coded as bitter in game. The characters who love bitter stuff are mostly all adults who would actually drink alcohol- characters like Saber (who literally is recruited in a tavern), Palla (the eldest of the three white wings), Python, Sonya, Clive, etc.

Then you have Tobin.

Why does Tobin like the taste of alcohol? He’s apparently 17 according to Serenes, is that the legal age in Valentia? Did Gray peer pressure him into trying alcohol, but ended up not really liking it while Tobin secretly loved it? Like what is the backstory behind this?

Edited by Anathaco

Yeah, the small details definitely help with world/character building.  SoV is the prime example, but the Tellius game do it a bit, too.  Part of the reason I like those games so much.

5 hours ago, Anathaco said:

Then you have Tobin.

Why does Tobin like the taste of alcohol? He’s apparently 17 according to Serenes, is that the legal age in Valentia? Did Gray peer pressure him into trying alcohol, but ended up not really liking it while Tobin secretly loved it? Like what is the backstory behind this?

Weeell...  Medieval ages mumbo-jumbo incoming...

Most water supplies where unsafe for human consumption, given the 'sanitary' functions of the time. Booze is prepared in a way that kills germs, thus alcohol being safer than water most of the time...  Meaning that most everyone (children included) would drink booze, even if it was watered down.  There wasn't a 'legal age', given that pretty much everyone would be drinking.  So, given that Valentia has a quasi-medieval setting, it would be more surprising if Tobin - and all other underage characters - hadn't drank booze before.

Edited by Ouzyxol

Or his love for bitter stuff comes from things not usable in-game.

Considering the planned idea with alcoholic beverages, Valentia's drinking age (and Archanea's too for that matter) is 20, like Japan's. Even if the game wouldn't have let him, it's possible Tobin has drank alcohol before despite not being of permissible age yet and liked it. Or again, he simply eats bitter stuff that's not usable in-game and it became an acquire taste for him. Or it's innate. Either way, if he hasn't drank alcohol yet, it's a sign he will enjoy it once he turns 20.

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Or his love for bitter stuff comes from things not usable in-game.

Considering the planned idea with alcoholic beverages, Valentia's drinking age (and Archanea's too for that matter) is 20, like Japan's. Even if the game wouldn't have let him, it's possible Tobin has drank alcohol before despite not being of permissible age yet and liked it. Or again, he simply eats bitter stuff that's not usable in-game and it became an acquire taste for him. Or it's innate. Either way, if he hasn't drank alcohol yet, it's a sign he will enjoy it once he turns 20.

The thing with other bitter stuff is that going purely by in game food stuff the only other bitter item is medicinal syrup. Not like there couldn’t be other bitter foods that can be eaten in world but just aren’t usable items, but still, it’s kinda funny.