- 8th : Felix

- 7th : Petra

- 6th : Leonie

- 5th : Ignatz

- 4th : Ashe

- 3rd : Bernadetta

- 2nd : Shamir

- 1st : Claude

Honorable mention : Byleth, Hubert, Mercedes, Hanneman and Yuri.

Edited by drattakbowser

On 9/4/2021 at 8:37 PM, Armchair General said:

Would be helpful if you'd gave out a few reasons.

I like how Ignatz's personal skills cancels out the accuracy penalty from sniping, for instance.

Ok.

- 10th : Anna (Great grow bow and luck)

- 9th : Cyril (Interested skills)

- 8th : Felix (High physical damage bow)

- 7th : Petra (Often double attack)

- 6th : Leonie (Second main weapon)

- 5th : Ignatz (Main weapon)

- 4th : Ashe (Main weapon)

- 3th : Bernadetta (Main weapon and very powerful sacred weapon with her crest (Quadra attack)

- 2nd : Shamir (Begin A rank Bow and very clever)

- 1st : Claude (Excellent Lord class, Relic and Combat art)

Honorable mention : Byleth (Can do all weapon and balanced stats), Hubert (Strength), Mercedes (Budding talent), Hanneman (Strength) and Yuri (Budding talent)

Edited by drattakbowser

21 minutes ago, drattakbowser said:

- 3th : Bernadetta (Main weapon and very powerful sacred weapon with her crest (Quadra attack)

Honestly the sacred weapon is a bad fit for her. All her crest does is boost its regen, and Bernie doesn't like regen because she becomes a less effective character at full HP. That weapon is a great fit on someone who doesn't need a combat art to be effective, though, like Felix or Claude.

I came up with the following off the cuff. This is rating characters only for their ability with bows and bowfaire classes, zero credit given if they have any success with other weapons/builds:

1. Claude (flying Bowfaire class yes please; also great stats, Monster Blast, Encloser)
2. Shamir (starts with Sniper unlocked, Heavy Draw, Monster Blast)
3. Leonie (high offensive stats, Point Blank Valley)
4. Felix (high offensive stats, Heavy Draw)
5. Petra (high offensive stats)
6. Bernadetta (Encloser, Persecution Complex helps her str compared to those below)
7. Cyril (early Point Blank Volley)
8. Ignatz (boosted accuracy, authority boon)
9. Ashe (worse than the above, but still an in-house character with a bow boon for easy Sniper access)
10. Mercedes (giving up magic to master Sniper sucks but once she does and you hit chapter 16, watch out)

If you have the DLC, I guess Yuri's probably would get on this list somewhere, similar to Ignatz trading the personal for slightly better stats. Somewhere between Petra and Ashe? I also ignored cases like Dimitri where obviously he'll be a fantastic archer because he'll be fantastic at any physical build, but doesn't really have any predilection towards it. Bow boon is also really important because getting to Sniper at Level 20 is actually somewhat difficult without it (unlike, say, getting to wyvern without an axe boon, which needs way less skill exp).

Felix seems like the strongest to me with those stats and Heavy Draw. I prefer it to PBV. There's also plenty of swordsmaster alternatives so there's no harm in making him a Sniper.

I actually found Claude somewhat underwhelming after expecting him to obviously be the best class (flying ranged). The lack of 2 cell range really threw me off. He might still be the best class in the game, but it's not really overpowered and his sniper moves aren't as great, so overall he was slightly less useful than Felix to me since he simply didn't do as much damage and couldn't one-shot units easily.

Here's my "top 3" Bow units, but by each house:

Black Eagles

1. Shamir. The earliest Church recruit you can get, she joins with a Faire when nobody else has one. A-rank Bows in chapter 6 is absurd. Can rush Hunter's Volley, or turn back for Strength +2 or Hit +20.

2. Petra. She's fast, strong, and can easily get Strength +2, Death Blow, and Hit +20. Sniper and Assassin are natural picks, and Bow Knight is hardly a stretch, but she can even do well as a Bow-oriented Wyvern Lord.

3. Bernadetta. Death Blow is a bit more work, but the other skills are no problem. Encloser is a neat bit of tech, kind of a micro-gambit. Pass is a nearly unique tool. Sniper and Bow Knight are obvious picks, but she could use Bows on the side as a Paladin or Falcon Knight, too.

Blue Lions

1. Felix. His personal skill and Crest can combine for great damage in the earlygame, and his speed is no slouch. Fairly easy access to good mastery skills. Assassin, Sniper, and Bow Knight all fit him, but letting him use a Bow as a Grappler or War Master is hardly crazy.

2. Cyril. He can join quite early, with basically no effort. His boons lend to grabbing the good mastery skills. Point-Blank Volley is an incredible combat art, and it comes to him so early. It works great on a high-movement class, like Bow Knight or Wyvern Lord.

3. Shamir. You thought I was gonna say Ashe? Eh. Ashe's proficiencies aren't that bad for skills, and Deadeye is an interesting tech. But among his stats and personal traits, there are no real standouts. Use him as a Hunter's Volley machine if you must.

Golden Deer

1. Claude. No real surprise - he's a Lord, with solid stats in all offensive areas. Authority boon is welcome, while the Axe talent is nice for skills. Encloser is a cool art, while Failnaught (and the unique Fallen Star art) are a great glow-up. As are his flying Bowfaire classes.

2. Leonie. Like Cyril, she has PBV, but it comes quite a bit later. Her personal skill is a good one, and her speed is quite formidable. She can shine in Bow Knight or Falcon Knight.

3. Ignatz. Like Ashe, he suffers a mediocre statline, but he makes up for it in personal attributes. He brings a cool set of rallies to the table, while innate Hit +20 is great to compensate for ranged inaccuracy. Assassin, Sniper, and Bow Knight all work here.