Special Heroes: Scions of Twelve

Ice Dragon

oh god Julia looks absolutely awesome i can't wait to dump all my orbs for her why you do this to me now IS i'm not ready at all what's wrong with you you're supposed to go with three houses or awakening or some other super popular series not with the one with the most characters i like WHY

also, THE HARMONIZED DUO IS ALL GUYS. GUYS!!!

this is the biggest shock i have ever gotten from this game ngl

Edited by Sil/phire

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Added Nanna's weapon to the translation notes earlier.

Nanna's art is really cute, but her hat doesn't look quite as fluffy as the others.

Staff of Twelve is pretty interesting. Eir's Sparkling Boost is already a pretty good support skill on its own, so having it available on a weapon is pretty nice, though for Aether Raids, it has the issue of competing for limited team slots against other staff support units like Flayn and Bride Fjorm.

About time the guys got a Harmonic.  Now if only the mythic streak gets snapped.

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Guys? In my duo heroes! What sorcery is this!?

It's called progress, much needed progress.

So it isn’t a dancer banner. Now to see if they push that to later in the month or swap it with a different banner later in the year.

Not anything I really care to pull for so I guess I’ll keep saving. Free Nanna as a flying healer is nice though!

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Cue the Danse Macabre banner! Candy, choreography, and chthonic costumed characters. A hybrid concept sure to be a thriller!

Holy shit I would be so down for that it isn’t even funny. Hel dancer alt, Hel dancer alt, please!

Atk/Res Solo seal, finally. I keep wanting to use that and remembering it hasn't been released yet.

Given that we just got a second Pirates banner, I'm guessing all the Oct/Nov/Dec seasonals will be the same as last year, but I could see a new dancer banner taking over the Plegian slot in January.

Looking at the banner from a title perspective, it's funny how it's a Geneology banner, but it's just the harmonized lead as a Thracia character. Like how the bridal banner was FE6, but the harmonized lead was the only one from another game. Although it's weird how Nanna is only considered as a Thracia and not both like Leif is.

10 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Lakche looks like she'll be a pretty good Windsweeper if you need one, though a build with her default Frenzy also works. She's currently one of the few units with "Null Guard", which is pretty nice, at least.

I hope Frenzy is good enough on her for Arena Assault so I do not have to use Windsweep. With Frenzy, my main concern is Hector: Brave Warrior and Edelgard: Hegemon Husk triggering Bonfire immediately and overwhelm Frenzy, and low merge Byleths die against Edelgard: Hegemon Husk if they use Frenzy in the caluclator.

The inheritable tomes are interesting. +5 Atk/Spd with an easy condition is pretty nice. It's clear that they're trying to make more weapons not compatible with Desperation, though I'm not sure if the healing is quite strong enough to make up for losing Desperation. Julia has consistently had very high Res, so she can probably fight tomes and dragons well enough without Desperation, but I'm not so sure about Levn. The biggest issue is that they're very similar to the Litrfoxes, which are compatible with Desperation also come with a bit of added bulk.

They are also losing Wings of Mercy support, which is a bigger deal than Desperation in my opinion, since harder maps are harder because you need that extra mobility.

Leaf has both of Legendary Leaf's exclusive skills and has Seliph's Miracle. However, the stat boost and Miracle only work against tome and staff opponents, leaving him open to some obvious counter tanks, like Brave Hector and Picnic Effie. It doesn't seem like he'll be too oppressive, as he lacks Null Follow-Up or a Sweep to keep him alive, and if he's going to be fast and strong, he can't really be all that bulky.

I thought the Mircale works regardless of enemy type on player phase, or at least that is what it reads like to me.

9 hours ago, Ouzyxol said:

Lief/Seliph threw me for a loop at first.  They almost have all L!Lief's skills, just with the Weapon and A Slot swapped.  Bow of the Twelve is not great, it's quite niche.  Thier Duo skill is pretty good, Desperation can have some solid uses.

Bow of Twelve got Miracle, and that is vastly more valuable than damage reduction since you simply cannot be killed (unless you got reduced to 1HP on the first hit and then doubled, which is unlikely if you are using him manually), and that opens up a lot of Galeforce strategies.

On defense, he can run Pass, be Danced/Sung to, and potentially snipe a support unit behind the super tank.

Edited by XRay

19 minutes ago, XRay said:

They are also losing Wings of Mercy support, which is a bigger deal than Desperation in my opinion, since harder maps are harder because you need that extra mobility.

Well, I'm the guy who doesn't use Wings of Mercy support and doesn't care about it.

20 minutes ago, XRay said:

I thought the Mircale works regardless of enemy type on player phase, or at least that is what it reads like to me.

The Japanese description reads like this:

自分から攻撃した時、または戦闘開始時、自身のHPが75%以上で
魔法、杖の敵と戦闘時、戦闘中、攻撃、速さ、守備、魔防+5、かつ
戦闘中、自分のHPが2以上で敵の致死攻撃を受けた時、
ダメージをHPが1残るように軽減
(1戦闘1回のみ、重複しない)

When unit initiates combat or, at the beginning of combat, unit's own HP is 75% or higher when
against a magic or staff opponent in combat, during combat, Atk/Spd/Def/Res+5, and,
during combat, when unit's HP is 2 or higher and receives a fatal attack from opponent,
damage is reduced so that 1 HP remains
(once per battle, does not stack)

The bolded "かつ", which is translated here as the bolded "and", indicates that the effect that follows has the same condition.

The English description uses an "and also" here instead of starting a new sentence, which also indicates that the condition still carries over.

Well I am someone who wants more males only harmonic/duos so I have to pull on this banner.  I am a little sad that it isn't dancers, but I do agree with @Othin that January's second banner seems like the most likely place for a dancer banner to be.  Though November could happen, but I see Ninjas being a theme that will stick around.  Of course I would love it if the Halloween banner became a Day of the Dead banner and everyone was a dancer.  Anyway I am really happy Nanna is free since she is a personal favorite and her being a flying healer makes it better since I have pretty bad luck pulling flying healers.

Don't mind me just quoting myself cuz I posted in the wrong place.

14 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

Well, what can I say? On principle I like this banner, lots of characters with no/few alts, the first F2P friendly staff flier (I mean, picking Camilla as your CYL3 choice was pretty F2P friendly imho) and also a male/male harmonic. Those are all positive things for the game, but I've gotta admit that I am not that invested. It's a shame we didn't get any new characters since Jugdral especially needs to squeeze in the many missing characters from their roster, but we did get Lifis and Vika last month, so it's whatever. Lewyn being GEN-2 would be pretty cool if confirmed and since he is the demote I will try for him and maybe Julia.

And speaking of Julia, I get being disappointed by her, but she just made history. We can finally make Julia Emblem, which is the first GotW emblem team possible. Some people probably think that having an emblem is a disgrace and no character should have four versions but I think it's just one more step towards equality.

Heroes has Alfonse, Veronica and Laevatein, Mystery has Marth and Caeda, Echoes has the lords, Binding has Roy and Lilina, Blazing has the lords, Sacred Stones had the lords, Radiant Dawn has Micaiah, Awakening has Chrom and many others, Fates has Camilla and many others, 3 Houses has Edelgard and Dimitri.

And now Genealogy has Julia, and without caveats like being the backpack of a Duo (RIP Camilla's dream of being the first character with two emblem teams) or having different names (RIP Brigid, Camus, Inigo, Masked Marth and others). We are now only missing Path of Radiance (easily solvable with another Ike) and Thracia (easily solvable with another Reinhardt or Leif. Or two more Mareeta IDK). Maybe I'm alone in giving this some kind of importance but just like people are happy with having an harmonic for each game, I'm happy for this.

And also can't wait until we finally have a legendary (RIP Path of Radiance. L!Ashnard when?) and Mythic (RIP Sacred Stones. M!Morva when? RIP Thracia. Can M!Julius count as being from this game for his 5 seconds of screentime like Ishtar? RIP Path of Radiance again, can Dheg or Lehran count as being from PoR for no reason, pls?) for each game too.

Oh and obviously RIP TMS for all of the above.

I have some mixed thoughts about the banner.

For one, it's great that we finally have a male-male Harmonic (and male-led at all) but as @Use the Falchion said it feels like cheating when they're playable in the same game. At least Altina had the excuse of being long dead by Sanaki's time!

There's also a few other choices that strike me as odd, Larcei's weapon being one of them. As someone who's celebrating her heritage from the Sword Saint, it's weird that she brought an axe to the party, whether or not her most popular dad mained them. Similar could be said of Leif, although his arrows looking like mini-Gae Bolgs is a nice touch. And it's kinda baffling that arguably the two most important holy blood lineages are taking the low-budget unit slots.

I still like this banner concept overall, it's great that they continue to try new seasonal concepts.

40 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The Japanese description reads like this:

自分から攻撃した時、または戦闘開始時、自身のHPが75%以上で
魔法、杖の敵と戦闘時、戦闘中、攻撃、速さ、守備、魔防+5、かつ
戦闘中、自分のHPが2以上で敵の致死攻撃を受けた時、
ダメージをHPが1残るように軽減
(1戦闘1回のみ、重複しない)

When unit initiates combat or, at the beginning of combat, unit's own HP is 75% or higher when
against a magic or staff opponent in combat, during combat, Atk/Spd/Def/Res+5, and,
during combat, when unit's HP is 2 or higher and receives a fatal attack from opponent,
damage is reduced so that 1 HP remains
(once per battle, does not stack)

The bolded "かつ", which is translated here as the bolded "and", indicates that the effect that follows has the same condition.

The English description uses an "and also" here instead of starting a new sentence, which also indicates that the condition still carries over.

I thought that that the condition to activate any of the effects are either:
- player phase
- if HP is over 75% AND opponent is ranged

So as long as you are initiating, all effects apply. Or alternatively, if HP is over 75% AND opponent ranged, you get the effect on any phase.

12 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The problem for that seems to be that they don't want to give weapons bound by Holy Blood to those who cannot wield them. This isn't like FE13, where presumably, the power of the Holy Weapons, and seals on those powers, have drastically declined with the passing of ages since Genealogy. And this isn't like 3H, where merely having any Crest will let you use a Relic without hurting yourself, if not letting you tap into it's Crest-specific (and often superfluous) Combat Art or bonus effect either.

Larcei would've been an okay-ish choice for Helswath, given AyraxLex is a very popular pairing. -But if we start delving into breaking FE4 canon and giving Minor-Blood people Holy Weapons they can't actually use in FE4, then we're certainly getting Naga!Seliph which should've been his Legendary and Valflame!Julia alts at some point the crime being Julius could use the Valflame alt much more.

Helswath is basically doomed. Unless "it was in Awakening!" means Flavia, Gregor, or Basilio can swing it in. It's not like the Helswath from Genealogy's time would actually bring 30 Mt, Distant Counter, and +20 Def +10 Res into FEH. Being watered down in Awakening won't make it any worse in this game.

Yes, but - and I'm kinda spitballing here - what if the Helswath was just a replica?

There's a series of weapons in Fire Emblem Fates that can only be obtained through the use of the four FE amiibo released at the time, that is SSB Marth/Ike/Robin/Lucina. They are exact replicas of the personal weapons tied to each character, though weaker than the originals, called Marth's Sparta (Falchion), Ike's Backup (Ragnell), Lucina's Estoc (Parallel Falchion) and Robin's Primer (Thoron).
That could easily be applied to one of these seasonal banners: something like, for instance, Toyswath+ that provides +5 Def/Res and Guard if the enemy initiates combat and can be forged, and its appearance can be that of a duller Helswath. That would probably be weaker than the actual Helswath if it ever makes it into the game, but it would let any unit wield "Helswath" without actually having major Nal blood, which would have opened the door to a unit such as Iuchar/Iucharba coming in representing Nal and wielding not-Helswath. It would also open the door for many other seasonal units to be allowed to wield a weakened version of other Prf weapons, almost purely novelty but still letting normal litle Ogma know the power of wielding "Omega Yato" or "Creator Sword"

It also seems like the kind of scheme Anna would come up with, selling replicas of legendary weapons...

35 minutes ago, XRay said:

- player phase

So as long as you are initiating, all effects apply. Or alternatively, if HP is over 75% AND opponent ranged, you get the effect on any phase.

In both the English and Japanese phrasings, it seems to be unclear whether or not the opponent being ranged is still required on player phase.

3 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

Yes, but - and I'm kinda spitballing here - what if the Helswath was just a replica?

There's a series of weapons in Fire Emblem Fates that can only be obtained through the use of the four FE amiibo released at the time, that is SSB Marth/Ike/Robin/Lucina. They are exact replicas of the personal weapons tied to each character, though weaker than the originals, called Marth's Sparta (Falchion), Ike's Backup (Ragnell), Lucina's Estoc (Parallel Falchion) and Robin's Primer (Thoron).
That could easily be applied to one of these seasonal banners: something like, for instance, Toyswath+ that provides +5 Def/Res and Guard if the enemy initiates combat and can be forged, and its appearance can be that of a duller Helswath. That would probably be weaker than the actual Helswath if it ever makes it into the game, but it would let any unit wield "Helswath" without actually having major Nal blood, which would have opened the door to a unit such as Iuchar/Iucharba coming in representing Nal and wielding not-Helswath. It would also open the door for many other seasonal units to be allowed to wield a weakened version of other Prf weapons, almost purely novelty but still letting normal litle Ogma know the power of wielding "Omega Yato" or "Creator Sword"

It also seems like the kind of scheme Anna would come up with, selling replicas of legendary weapons...

Awakening includes many legendary weapons from past games (with no explanation, potentially replicas), including Helswath and the other FE4 ones, and makes them usable by anyone, so there's precedent.

Edited by Othin

1 hour ago, XRay said:

- player phase

Do we have another unit with a similar activation condition that I can compare the description to? I can see it going both ways.

Also, it's only tomes and staves. Bows and daggers don't count.

@XRay Never mind, the and/or relationships are as you say. You can see the +5 to all stats in the trailer, and the Moonbow on the counterattack didn't do as much damage as it should have, given Leaf's stats.

Edited by Ice Dragon

So, we have 6 of the 12 bloodlines covered here. I wonder if a future Scion banner will cover the other 6.

Main candidates:

• Dainn: Travant, Arion
  • Nal: Lex
  • Ullr: Brigid, Edain, their kids
  • Fjalar: Azelle, Arvis, Julius, Saias
  • Thrud: Tailtiu, her kids, Ishtar
  • Bragi: Claud, Silvia, her kids

43 minutes ago, Othin said:

In both the English and Japanese phrasings, it seems to be unclear whether or not the opponent being ranged is still required on player phase.

11 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Do we have another unit with a similar activation condition that I can compare the description to? I can see it going both ways.

Hm, I guess it is unclear and could go both ways.

13 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Also, it's only tomes and staves. Bows and daggers don't count.

Oh yeah. That would make the Miracle effect pretty horrible and niche.

I hope the player phase condition is just player phase by itself, because niche Miracle would be pretty useless against most defense teams since I do not see that many frontliners being filled by mages or Save armor mages.

Stats [SPOILERS]:

Spoiler

77o2hbum6sl71.png?width=960&crop=smart&a

Leif & Seliph
Asset(s): Atk, Spd
Flaw(s): HP, Def

Julia
Asset(s): Atk

Lewyn
*Atk/Res Solo 3 unlocks at 4*.

Larcei
Flaw(s): HP, Res

Nanna
Asset(s): Spd
*Spd/Res Form 3 unlocks at 4*.

7 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Stats [SPOILERS]:

Hide contents

77o2hbum6sl71.png?width=960&crop=smart&a

Leif & Seliph

Julia
Asset(s): Atk

Lewyn
*Atk/Res Solo 3 unlocks at 4*.

Larcei
Flaw(s): HP, Res

Nanna
Asset(s): Spd
*Spd/Res Form 3 unlocks at 4*.

Well...

Spoiler

Nanna is FAST! 45 Spd with a boon. She will like Palm Tree, for sure.

About stats:

Spoiler

I was not expecting Nanna to be that fast for a freebie. She would be the fastest staff unit in the game right now if she had an exclusive weapon of her own. it's honestly a pity she doesn't.

No real surprises among the other units. We already saw Leaf's stats in the trailer. Julia is a flying Pelleas (-4/+2/-1/-5/+4). Levn is just himself with 20 more points of stats (+2/+4/+3/+2/+9). Lakche is just herself with an axe (-1/+3/+2/+3/+3).

I just noticed that character introductions are up, including these pictures detailing the weapon designs:

luchtaine_scion_of_astra_info02.png

nanna_mystletainn_scion_info03.png

No picture for Leaf's bow, though, which is apparently a really wide Tyrfing that shoots Gae Bolgs.

Also, that axe looks extremely uncomfortable to use. And those arrows. Arrows are not supposed to be pointy at both ends.