I feel a bit old because of technology.

XRay

I am not at the age where technology scares me yet, but I am at the age where I feel confused by technology from time to time. Most of the confusion is just with helping my mom with her iPhone and Apple being completely unintuitive. However, I am more concerned about the times where I do not feel comfortable messing around with settings or modding things, even though I would not even hesitate to try that stuff out ten years ago when I was younger.

I do not think technology will ever scare me, so I am not too worried about that. HOWEVER, I am worried that I would not be as technologically independent in the future, and I am concerned that I might be technologically dependent on younger people and I do not want to annoy them with dumb questions.

I guess what triggered this epiphany is seeing how Boomers (I am just assuming their age; they could be Millenials like me too) sometimes ask facepalm questions about simple technology stuff on a D&D website (e.g.: "How do I access the stuff I purchased?" [Look at the menu bar at the top, just like every other website...]). Like, the answers are so freaking obvious and no-brainer that I feel taken back. Most of the time I pity them, so I answer a few of their questions if it has been sitting there a while and no one else has answered it yet. Sometimes they are rude as hell with their question though, so I just let them suffer in frustration and ignorance so they have to wait for a kinder person or a mod to respond. For whatever reason, when I read a rude question today, I connected the dots and thought of the juxtaposition between their frustration with the D&D website and my frustration with Apple UI, and I find that juxtaposition kind of funny and disturbing at the same time. It is funny because I feel like an old person, but also a bit worrisome because I do not want be that grumpy old person, and I get grumpy when dealing with Apple UI.

Edited by XRay

I'm in the same boat with my stepdad. Just the other day, I was watching this on my iPad and he was asking me all sorts of questions about it, despite the fact that he also gets YouTube on his.

He was asking me stuff like what is it, so I told him what game it was. Then it's "why is it talking to me" or where did it I find it; JFC I just want to watch shit, not explain how YouTube works, again.

You're not the only one. It took me realizing my sarcastic quips about "tick tock" made me sound exactly like my dad purposefully misspelling/mispronouncing social media names, hah. 

That being said I do legitimately miss the fact you could get into computer's software stack far more than you could with everything "locked down" these days. I feel far more freedom with my (ancient) 2010 laptop and dumbphone than a Win10 laptop I just purchased a few months ago... needless to say, in the process of installing linux/kubuntu on it for the first time because I'm not enjoying where tech is going (whether it be needless updates, shitty UX/UI, bad privacy choices...).

My main realization came when I started having trouble finding guides for doing things I wanted to do. I mean, that's not exactly right. I could find the guides to doing it, but they'd be for a slightly different version number, model number, update number, or something else (sometimes only presumably) and I wouldn't quite get the answer, there would be something I'd have to do a bit different from the instructions in the guide, or sometimes, the guide really wouldn't be helpful.

• 1 month later...

I also sometimes think so, but I understand how important technology is and makes our life better. I think a lot about the consequences of urbanization for modern society, about how urbanization affects the psychological and emotional state of each of us. It seems to me that a farming life somewhere on the outskirts can be more beneficial to human health than a constant life in the city. On the site https://blablawriting.net/essay-examples/urbanization, I read quite interesting articles on my findings about urbanization and its impact. I want to say that now I am afraid not only of technology, but also of urbanization.

Edited by Quang Cox

On 10/28/2021 at 5:22 AM, Quang Cox said:

I also sometimes think so, but I understand how important technology is and makes our life better. I think a lot about the consequences of urbanization for modern society, about how urbanization affects the psychological and emotional state of each of us. It seems to me that a farming life somewhere on the outskirts can be more beneficial to human health than a constant life in the city. On the site https://blablawriting.net/essay-examples/urbanization, I read quite interesting articles on my findings about urbanization and its impact. I want to say that now I am afraid not only of technology, but also of urbanization.

Depends highly on the person. While I can tolerate living in a small city, I much rather live in a big city, with so much more to see and do, and all the perks and conveniences too. For an American city, New York City would be my ideal city as it is the only city in America with a public transit system that is even somewhat comparable internationally, but even then, it is far from the best out there.

I cannot stand living in a rural area, and I am barely tolerating living in my hometown right now. I need my shopping centers, international cuisine, strip clubs, public transportation system, etc. I thought about buying a piece of farmland, but it would be right on the edge of a city, not far away from it.

Edited by XRay