Capcom Vs. crossovers you'd like to see?

Lord_Brand

Capcom is well known for their crossover series of fighting games that sees their own characters fighting against and alongside those of other companies. Marvel vs. Capcom is the most famous by far, rivaling Street Fighter itself in popularity. SNK takes second place, and Tatsunoko is a distant third. There are likely many other companies out there that Capcom's fans would love to see them throw down with. In this topic, we talk about various Capcom Vs. crossovers we'd love to see happen, be it rosters, mechanics, story, or just a glancing overview of what we'd like to see and why.

As is customary, I the topic creator shall of course go first with his personal Capcom Vs. wishlist.

1. SEGA Vs. Capcom - This is one I think many of us have wanted to see for a long time. Archie Comics' Worlds Unite crossover came so, so close to making this happen in paper form. Mega Man could finally return to the Vs. scene and meet his friendly rival, Sonic the Hedgehog, on the 2D field of battle, joined by A-list and maybe even B-list teams of Capcom and SEGA characters. Atlus, being a subsidiary of SEGA, could contribute some reps as well, like Joker from the Persona series. For this particular crossover, there are three things I'd like to see:
    • An emphasis on trios, heralding the return of three-fighter teams. This would include notable trios like Team Sonic (Sonic, Tails, & Knuckles) and the Maverick Hunters (X, Zero, and Axl), though of course you're free to pick whichever three fighters you want.
    • Super Forms, either drawn or adapted from source games like Super Sonic and Super Mega Man or made up for the crossover itself.
    • A mechanic I call Chaos Fusion, where two compatible fighters can merge together into an even more powerful Fusion Fighter for a short time. This can be combined with Super Forms to create Super Fusion Fighters.
  2. Nintendo Vs. Capcom - No video game company on the planet has a more stellar lineup of IPs than the face of video gaming, Nintendo, as Super Smash Bros. fans can attest. So, who better for Capcom to face off against? There's potential for lots of interesting matchups here, like Wolf Link vs. Amaterasu or Marth vs. Ryu (of Breath of Fire). We could also see a team up between the kings of hijacking plots, taking on multiple forms, and coming back from the dead time and again, Ganondorf and Sigma.
  3. Square Enix Vs. Capcom - Another prolific name in the video games industry with whom Capcom really ought to square off at some point. In addition to obvious choices like Cloud and maybe Sora, this crossover ought to bring in brawlers like Sabin, Tifa, and Zell to throw down with the likes of Ryu, Chun-Li, and Ken. Aerith and Iris could make appearances as well, both being quite memorable (ironically or otherwise) for their death scenes in FFVII and MMX4, respectively. Naturally, Dragon Quest, World of Mana, Chrono, and even Xenogears would be on the table as well.
    • Lara Croft, Gex, Marina (of Mischief Makers) and Kain (of Legacy of Kain) could appear as surprise guests, owing to the fact Square Enix now owns the Tomb Raider, Gex, and Legacy of Kain IPs, and Enix published Mischief Makers on the N64.
    • Other post-merger IPs to pull from include Bravely Default, NieR, Octopath Traveler, and The World Ends with You. Suffice it to say, SE has a lot of content to offer a Vs. game, if you can handle the majority of the characters being from RPGs.
    • Technically, Nintendo could get in on this action too with Geno and Mallow, and maybe even Mario, Peach, and Bowser, as a nod to SMRPG, the game that started Mario's RPG career. Obviously they would be exclusive to Nintendo versions.
    • Much like Super Forms in my proposed SEGA vs. Capcom, Square Enix vs. Capcom could feature Limit Breaks as a nod to the SE half of the equation. They could be tied to Super Combos or take the place of them.
    • As another nod to the SE half, Tag Assists can evolve into Combo Techs, referencing Chrono Trigger. Dual and Triple Techs are both available.
    • I would also push for SQEvC to have three-fighter teams as a nod to numerous RPGs like FFVII and Chrono Trigger where your active party can have three members at once.
  4. Shonen Jump Vs. Capcom - Another crossover that surprisingly hasn't happened yet, Capcom versing the most prolific shonen publishing company in Japan who brought us series like Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto, and My Hero Academia. Combined with Capcom's lineup of video game IPs, that could make for an epic crossover on par with if not surpassing Capcom's stints with Marvel.

Also, I think it'd be sweet if Shantae and Risky Boots could show up at some point as a nod to the fact Capcom published the very first Shantae game on Game Boy Color, thereby helping the half-genie hero get her start.

So, how about you folks?

Huniepop vs. Capcom. Just kidding.

You named the obvious ones. Most game studios don't have nearly as many iconic franchises as Nintendo, Sega, Square, and Capcom. You're pretty much just missing Sony and Konami.

I was thinking Image Comics vs. Capcom might be a fun one to get Spawn and Invincible.

If Capcom dropped a teaser for a new versus game right this second, my hope would be Capcom vs Capcom. Because Capcom's been burned pretty bad off these versus and crossover games in the past. And with Ono's departure, this is the perfect time to wipe the slate clean. Forget other rights holders, Capcom's cast of characters is still king, and nobody makes tag team fighting games like them. And looking at Street Fighter 5, Somebody at Capcom is getting a real kick at suggesting all of Capcom's characters inhabit the same world. We've known for years that Final Fight and Rival Schools are in the same universe, but Strider? Seth is using Darkstalker moves - where did they get those? And this last guy might be a young Captain Commando.

I think the most likely possibility is just Capcom vs SNK3. A game that was in development before SNK entered bankruptcy/Pachinko hell. But SNK is making actual video games again, and their partnership with Capcom seems strong enough that they've managed to release that neo geo pocket game for the first time this year.

1 hour ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

If Capcom dropped a teaser for a new versus game right this second, my hope would be Capcom vs Capcom. Because Capcom's been burned pretty bad off these versus and crossover games in the past. And with Ono's departure, this is the perfect time to wipe the slate clean. Forget other rights holders, Capcom's cast of characters is still king, and nobody makes tag team fighting games like them. And looking at Street Fighter 5, Somebody at Capcom is getting a real kick at suggesting all of Capcom's characters inhabit the same world. We've known for years that Final Fight and Rival Schools are in the same universe, but Strider? Seth is using Darkstalker moves - where did they get those? And this last guy might be a young Captain Commando.

I think the most likely possibility is just Capcom vs SNK3. A game that was in development before SNK entered bankruptcy/Pachinko hell. But SNK is making actual video games again, and their partnership with Capcom seems strong enough that they've managed to release that neo geo pocket game for the first time this year.

Capcom vs. Capcom is all of their popular characters, vs. all of their bad decisions (Reboot Dante, bad box art Megaman).

I was thinking of Shonen Jump vs. Capcom where a lot of characters from Shonen Jump battles the characters from Capcom. And, I was also thinking of Konami vs. Capcom since Capcom did went a crossover with Bandai Namco and SNK.

Clearly there's only one correct answer:

https://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/kelloggs_vs_capcom.png

Seriously though... I mean, ProjectxZone is already what I'd like to see when it comes to Capcom crossovers. Mostly in the fact it's more than just a vs. Since you have three companies crossing over, and then the second game added a touch of Nintendo for a four-faction crossover. So... give me a third Project x Zone!

Edited by Acacia Sgt

3 hours ago, Perkilator said:

We technically already got that.

It's called Capcom Fighting Evolution (unfortunately).

Excuse me while I search my brain in vain which particular game this one was just based on the title...

Okay, but that one's not fair. It had essentially zero time and resources, and was pushed out by Capcom to prove to their investors that fighting games are out and they should poor all their resources into survival horror and other Western-focused titles. As that video explains, Virtually all of the development time and budget went towards a 3D Capcom vs SNK game that was finished yet never released. We don't talk about Capcom's (or SNK's) Dark Ages when comparing to the modern day. Obviously when I say they should make a Capcom vs Capcom, I expect that to be the game they set out to make from the start. Reused assets can be fine, especially if this hypothetical game ends up being a 2D fighter instead of 3D, but nobody's suggesting literal copy and pasting from previous titles with zero updates or revisions.

Not gonna lie, a standalone Capcom Crossover fighting game is a brilliant concept. Such a series would be easy to produce on a regular basis since Capcom doesn't have to negotiate with other parties, and goodness knows that they have probably the most prolific line of IPs short of Nintendo themselves.

But to be honest, I would love to see Capcom try their hand at a Smash-style game as opposed to the usual Street Fighter-inspired fare. It's not like they haven't done sidescrollers with directional attack inputs before. Not to mention Smash is much more casual and newcomer-friendly. And being a Capcom-centric game would mean it can be packed full of Mega Man characters, like I wish Smash itself could be.

That said, a Nintendo × Capcom Smash crossover would be fun too. Dedicated crossovers with specific third parties are one direction I could see future Smash games going, in fact.