Games with a female martial artist/shaolin monk as protagonist

--ACE--

What can I say? i am in love with female monks in video games, (Tifa Lockhart(FF7) and Ursula(FF4) for example) and was wondering... there is any game where a female monk is a protagonist? any type of game will do, JRPG, RPG, Fighting games, Platform, metroidvanias, EVERYTHING, as long as she is the protagonist. (But my preference would be an RPG or JRPG)

If there isn't any, games that have female monks as the main ones, like party members, allied characters of the protagonist, and so on will also do.

So, if you know any game that have what i asked, Leave the suggestion here!

Edited by Redpack007

Monk was a staple, but nowadays I think Brawler would be a better term to use for the class archetype. Specially since a priest-like protagonist could now qualify as monk too in the terminology.

In any case... what any actual games other than FF ones are you familiar with? Since I can think of examples with a female brawler party member. Like Ayla from Chrono Trigger, or Amy from Another Eden. Wouldn't know if you already played those, though.

When you said monk, I immediately thought of the monk class in Etrian Odyssey 3. However looking at your examples, you might be thinking of a brawler. Etrian Odyssey doesn't really have a protagonist anyway, but you can put a monk at the front of your party to make them the "main" unit. 

If all you want is girls like Tifa, then you'll find most of them in fighting games. Tekken especially where there's very little in terms of slinging fireballs and magically/elementally enhanced moves.

I guess it's not that common in RPGs is it? Most cases are simply unequipping your weapon, which is seldom viable in terms of gameplay balancing, or changing your class to a fist fighting one. Ayla from Chrono Trigger comes to mind, but she fights more like an animal than a martial artist. She's as much of a brawler as the Laguz units in Fire Emblem. Dragon quest 4 has Alena who definitely fits the bill despite her conspicuous mage attire, and DQ11's got a martial arts girl too right? Haven't played it. Shining Force 2 has Sheela and Karna once she's promoted to master monk. 

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

Now that I look into it, I realize how rare it is to have a female brawler protagonist, and I play a lot of games with female protagonists.

I haven't played this one, but Remember Me has a female lead and martial arts combat.

Not the protagonist, but Dragon Quest Heroes has Alena, who is a martial artist.

Otherwise all I can think of is, like, Bayonetta, which has...some? martial arts...ish combat. Probably not actually what you're looking for, but there's just not much of this out there.

I guess you could always try a Senran Kagura game...

8 minutes ago, Florete said:

Now that I look into it, I realize how rare it is to have a female brawler protagonist, and I play a lot of games with female protagonists.

I haven't played this one, but Remember Me has a female lead and martial arts combat.

Not the protagonist, but Dragon Quest Heroes has Alena, who is a martial artist.

Otherwise all I can think of is, like, Bayonetta, which has...some? martial arts...ish combat. Probably not actually what you're looking for, but there's just not much of this out there.

I guess you could always try a Senran Kagura game...

Me earlier: Hm... Senran Kagura... It must be a fighting game, lemme see...

*searches on google* 

Me now: Oh god... XD

1. Yo don't post twice in a row.  Either copy/paste quotes into your existing post (which is so much fun), or think a bit about whether or not you want to quote before you post.
2. Check out Tales of Berseria.  I think Velvet would count, for story reasons.

Dragon Quest III allows you to have female Monks in your party. The Hero can even be a female and reclass into a Monk after a certain point. For that matter, Dragon Quest XI has Jade.

Mega Man X8 can also recreate this effect with Layer using the K Knuckle, though you have to unlock her and buy her Rapier from the Lab first. Thankfully, there's a code you can use to unlock the Rapier for purchase early, leaving the matter of grinding the Metals needed to afford the Rapier (40,000). I recommend the Metal Generator trick for that.

Edited by Lord_Brand

While she can't become the Brawler Class due to unnecessary genderlocking, Female Byleth in Three Houses has a boon in Brawling, one of only 3 playable women who does (the others being Catherine and Constance, with the latter needing to unlock her's via Budding Talent).

As someone who likes larger women, the trend of having martial artist women in various media becoming more popular in recent years made my heart sink.  Fat women deserve better representation too.

• 2 years later...

don´t know if this will be read by someone but adding to the brawler girls in games Ilia Silvestri from Star Ocean first departure R clearly fits the bill in this one 

also female Fighter in Dungeon Fighter Online can count imo who actually became popular thanks to the DnF Duel game with the striker