FE3 Book 1 promotions

JoeShmoe102

Hey everybody, I'm playing through FE3 for my first time, starting with book 1 and then going to book 2. I'm on chapter 16 of book 1 at the moment, and I'm considering using my dragon whip on Shiida (she's lvl 12 rn). Is it worth promoting her, or is she really better off as an unpromoted falcon knight?

Also, once I get to book 2, when should I start thinking of promoting units? Immediately, or should I wait until they're lvl 15-20?

2 hours ago, JoeShmoe102 said:

Hey everybody, I'm playing through FE3 for my first time, starting with book 1 and then going to book 2. I'm on chapter 16 of book 1 at the moment, and I'm considering using my dragon whip on Shiida (she's lvl 12 rn). Is it worth promoting her, or is she really better off as an unpromoted falcon knight?

Also, once I get to book 2, when should I start thinking of promoting units? Immediately, or should I wait until they're lvl 15-20?

Actually, Falcon Knights didn't appear in Mystery of the Emblem. They did get added in both of the DS Remakes via Elysian Whip. Pegasus Knight's only promoted to Dracoknights in Mystery of the Emblem (as well as Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light) back then before the Pegasus Knight's Promotion Changed to Falcon Knight since Gaiden and skip towards Genealogy of the Holy War as their mainline promoted class change in the entire series.

Edited by King Marth 64

On 9/13/2021 at 5:47 AM, JoeShmoe102 said:

Β I'm considering using my dragon whip on Shiida (she's lvl 12 rn). Is it worth promoting her, or is she really better off as an unpromoted falcon knight?

regarding Shiida, it all boils down wether you want a Pegasus Knight with better RES to fight against mages, or if you want a tankier flying unit with higher DEF.

she'll probably loose some RES though, so it would be wise to keep her away from mages,Β should you decide to promote her.

Β 

regarding book 2:Β brace yourself for a rollercoast of difficulty spikes. book 1 is kind of an introduction to the game with decent difficulty scaling, however book 2 is where your tactics and strategy will be tested.

the general rule is that it's usually better to promote units that gain access to other items upon promotion first, and wait to reach lv20 with other classes that focus on just one weapon.

for example: you can wait for Ogma to reach lv20 before promoting him, since he basicly gains only stats. however, if you have a Marich or Linda at lv10, you should consider promoting them in order to give them access to healing staffs.

that way, you would gain a unit that can both deal damage and heal allies in danger, reducing the need to field two units like a mage and a healer when you could just deploy one that works for both instead.Β wich in turn would allow you to deploy some moreΒ units too.

You should promote her now for the extra Str/Def and most importantly +2 Mov. Magic enemies are scarce and can typically be fended off with a Pure Water or Barrier boost. There are very few of those left on outdoor maps to begin with; the main threats are either physical or dragons (in Ch19).

26 minutes ago, π…πžπ§π«πžπ’π« said:

the general rule is that it's usually better to promote units that gain access to other items upon promotion first, and wait to reach lv20 with other classes that focus on just one weapon.

for example: you can wait for Ogma to reach lv20 before promoting him, since he basicly gains only stats. however, if you have a Marich or Linda at lv10, you should consider promoting them in order to give them access to healing staffs.

This really only applies to Mercs, pretty much every other class is getting more mileage out of the extra Mov or Tome/Staff access than the extra levels, which can be made up for with a little Starsphere use. Aside from Draug but he wants those stat bonuses to keep up and get into doubling territory with lances. And even the Mercs have some incentive to insta-promote to cross rivers or streams in Ch10/13.

2 hours ago, X-Naut said:

This really only applies to Mercs, pretty much every other class is getting more mileage out of the extra Mov or Tome/Staff access than the extra levels, which can be made up for with a little Starsphere use. Aside from Draug but he wants those stat bonuses to keep up and get into doubling territory with lances. And even the Mercs have some incentive to insta-promote to cross rivers or streams in Ch10/13.

are we talking about stats now? because in that case, you could just stock on stats boosters, feed them to whoever you want, and promote whenever you want without having to worry about stats gains and lost levels.

or just grind arenas/reinforcements until you min-max any unit you want to lv20 and then promote.Β stats caps are also pretty low in Mystery, so maxing them out shouldn't take too much effort either. the problem is not getting stats, there's plenty of ways to do that.

giving a promotion to a specific unit depends on multiple factors. movement range and extra stats are important, but they're not the only factors that needs to be considered. unit type and terrain play a bigger role.

usually the more you wait, the better stats you'll have in the long run, but then again you don't have to wait everytime for every unit. it's alwaysΒ a matter between unit's utility over quality, especially when there's new items/weapons available upon promotion.

there's no best or worst time to promote a unit, it all depends on the player's preferences and playstyle, since not everyone plays in the same way.

14 hours ago, π…πžπ§π«πžπ’π« said:

I'd disagree, as multiple aspects make it better to just promote asap. I just don't see much of a case for waiting until 20 in this game.

Edited by Shadow Mir

On 9/17/2021 at 12:46 PM, π…πžπ§π«πžπ’π« said:

regarding Shiida, it all boils down wether you want a Pegasus Knight with better RES to fight against mages, or if you want a tankier flying unit with higher DEF.

she'll probably loose some RES though, so it would be wise to keep her away from mages,Β should you decide to promote her.

Worth remembering that her res bonus from being a pegasus goes away when you dismount her.

By the time you get her promotion item, there's only one map left that's both outdoor and has enemy mages, so the benefit of that extra res is very small compared to the strength and +2 movement she gets from promoting.