New Heroes: Abyss & Muspell

Jave

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I was totally wrong, I predicted that this month's New Heroes banner would be Awakening. But, hey, getting Three Houses with the Ashen Wolves was gonna happen sooner or later anyway, I suppose. Can't say I'm surprised that they made Balthus the free unit, either. Hopefully he has some decent skills.

I had actually hoped Yuri would be a sword unit, not a dagger unit. But, if they weren't gonna go sword, I suppose dagger makes sense. I don't recall his Crest super clearly, but I'm not seeing anything that alludes to it in his skills here.

Sadly I've got too high of a pity rate on Reginn's banner currently to quit now, plus no need for anymore 3H heroes for either Resonant or Limited Heroes battles. Probably will summon here just long enough to stop with the first focus hero who comes up (and hope that it's Hapi). 

What a weird combination. Guess Balthus is the only demote?

Yuri's abilities look really sweet, I'd been hoping for a ranged Canto 2 unit for Aether Raids. And he's got free movement and a sweet Assist for good measure. Think I'll prioritize him over Muspell for my spark, if I hit it without picking up either of them.

3 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Well, I was totally wrong, I predicted that this month's New Heroes banner would be Awakening. But, hey, getting Three Houses with the Ashen Wolves was gonna happen sooner or later anyway, I suppose. Can't say I'm surprised that they made Balthus the free unit, either. Hopefully he has some decent skills.

I had actually hoped Yuri would be a sword unit, not a dagger unit. But, if they weren't gonna go sword, I suppose dagger makes sense. I don't recall his Crest super clearly, but I'm not seeing anything that alludes to it in his skills here.

Balthus is the demote, not the spark. I think he has a prf, which is nice.

4 minutes ago, Othin said:

I didn't say he was the spark. I said he was the free unit. As in, the one they're just giving to us off the banner. (Off the banner as in, not on the banner.)

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

HOLY NAGA'S COWPIE CRUSTED FALCHION!!!

Yuri is fucking insane! He can SWAP within 3 SPACES! THREE SPACES!!!  THREE!!!!!!! And then he can CANTO the fuck out of there! In my opinion, he is better than Lucina: Glorious Archer and Chrom: Crowned Exalt as a psuedo Dancer/Singer. He also has a freaking Slaying Dagger, so he can either nuke things vanilla-Lysithea-style with Ruptured Sky (he even comes with Time's Pulse) or he can run Special Spiral and massacre enemies with a Blazing build. He is also colorless too. As you can tell, in my not so humble expert opinion, he is the most exciting thing this year, except maybe Save skills. Oh, and if that was not enough, he is basically a pony with three movement!

Constance is okay. She just feels like a slightly weaker Byleth: Fell Star's Duo. She is not bad, but just does not feel really impressive.

Hapi is nice. She is basically blue Lysithea on a pony, but is also able to exterminate Laguz with extreme prejudice.

Múspell is okay. Feels a bit lack luster compared to Nifl.

I am going to go for Yuri and maybe Hapi. I think I will only summon red on occasion or something.

Edited by XRay

4 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Not in his Crest, but his crests Heroes Relic.

The Fetters of Dromi grant Movement +1 and enable Canto to the unit who holds them, which are both effects his weapon Grant's him. Foul Play, meanwhile, is the class-exclusive ability of Tricksters in TH. Course the range of it was 5, not 3, but that's just condensing the skill for Heroes purposes 

...so yeah, nothing of his Crest itself. It occasionally prevented the counterattacks of the enemy when Yuri attacked, which... give him Windsweep I guess?

RIP gauntlets in Feh. Not that I ever expected those things to get into the game with how much IS already struggles with colorless tomes. 

I never bought the 3H dlc so these guys are an easy skip for me (maybe not if Constance had her timeskip design, but she doesn't so bleh). 

Still, I'm kinda curious how these guys are as units so let's take a look:

Yuri is certainly unique. I wonder if that assist is inheritable, it can enable some pretty disgusting stuff just like Leila did with her prf. His Prf makes him a dagger cav with better BST and less movement restrictions. Hoo boy, is that going to be the theme for Gen 6 infantry? Probably not, but I won't be surprised if we see another 3 or 4 units that follow the "Not a horse" build. Still, he only gets +6 Atk/Spd in combat so he's more of a utility type of unit rather than a nuke or tank. He'll enable some fun shenanigans for AR-O, but not much else. Stats are good: 40/39/43/26/29. Likely superassets in Atk and/or Spd. 

Constance is trying to compete against Duo Byleth with an easier condition to get extra Atk/Spd and NFU. Her prf also has some extra perks in the form of either enemy buff denial or self penalty neutralization depending on the turn. Not something to rely on, but it's a nice extra. 39/42/40/17/29 vs Byleth's 40/36/42/16/21. They are close enough in terms of stats and Byleth's Slaying can be better in some situations over the buff things Constance does. Eh, go with the one you like better as they'll end up performing almost the same. 

Hapi is simplistic, but effective. Deal high damage to beasts and dragons and spam low CD specials. Her stats kinda hold her back because 26 Spd is not a good place to be in as a cav without guaranteed follow-ups or a brave effect. Oh well, she's the token fodder 5* of the banner and that's mostly in the form of her trace. 40/42/26/16/39 with a likely Atk superasset. Not too impressive when she shares the class with Reinhardt and Selena. 

Muspell is interesting. His prf is kinda simplistic with only having omni stats for existing and Fatal Smoke built-in. It's strong, but he is in direct competition with L!Sigurd who also comes with the skill, so Muspell ends up losing. His exclusive skill is like a Drive true dmg based on 30% of the difference of the unit's Atk and the foe's Res. It's a little too gimmicky for my tastes, but I suppose it could help Save tanks plow through some stuff they can't ORKO naturally so it has it's applications. 

Edited by Alexmender

On one hand, I am happy that a Three Houses banner took the burden of having Muspell.

On the other hand, 2 Three Houses banner in 2021 is a bit over excessive if you ask me.

14 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I had actually hoped Yuri would be a sword unit, not a dagger unit. But, if they weren't gonna go sword, I suppose dagger makes sense.

That, and Merlinus was the literal last dagger unit added before Yuri. A shame too, they're were about two months short of going an entire year without adding a new dagger unit.

10 minutes ago, Othin said:

Nope, that's probably just Instant Axe+. I would like to be wrong about that, of course.

23 minutes ago, Othin said:

I think he has a prf, which is nice.

I thought so at first, but it looks like an Axe version of Instant Lance. They really shafted him IMO. How are you going to have the "King of Grappling" without grappling. This is why I wasn't expecting these guys until Book 6. Also watch Aelfric be a staff unit and not a Beast. From Gatekeeper's attack animation Aelfric was wielding a Tome so there's that.

I'm surprised by Hapi and Contance's tome colors. Hapi is a dark mage which is more associated with red tomes. She's basically a ranged Brave Eliwood, and a damn good demote. I already knew she wasn't going to have good speed before they showed the combat and stats, but she's great regardless. Slaying and built-in Time's Pulse is nuts.

Yuri looks crazy too. This banner is super bait, that I might bite if the Legendary Hero Remix goes well for me.

WTF, I called Hapi a demote (I knew it was too good to be true), but it doesn't say she's available at 4 star. Isn't this going to upset people since this isn't a CYL or Fallen banner?

Edited by LoneStar

1 minute ago, Alexmender said:

Yuri is certainly unique. I wonder if that assist is inheritable, it can enable some pretty disgusting stuff just like Leila did with her prf. His Prf makes him a dagger cav with better BST and less movement restrictions. Hoo boy, is that going to be the theme for Gen 6 infantry? Probably not, but I won't be surprise if we see another 3 or 4 units that follow the "Not a horse" build. Still, he only gets +6 Atk/Spd in combat so he's more of a utility type of unit rather than a nuke or tank. He'll enable some fun shenanigans for AR-O, but not much else. Stats are good: 40/39/43/26/29. Likely superassets in Atk and/or Spd. 

He is definitely a nuke. If you do not remember or were not playing back then, Blazing nukes were a menace as terrifying as Nótt-Sigurd lines are today in Aether Raids. The stat boost is irrelevant. What matters is the Slaying effect, and something as simple as that is honestly all you need to be effective as a ranged nuke.

What...? Lyon's already in the game - oh. It's...err I know his name was onscreen but I already forgot it while typing this. Hey, this means better odds for the Echoes DLC characters doesn't it? Heck they've been posted far away from the "It'll never happen" Tier since TMS was added.

12 minutes ago, XRay said:

He is definitely a nuke. If you do not remember or were not playing back then, Blazing nukes were a menace as terrifying as Nótt-Sigurd lines are today in Aether Raids. The stat boost is irrelevant. What matters is the Slaying effect, and something as simple as that is honestly all you need to be effective as a ranged nuke.

I do recall the Ophelia days (I've been playing since year 1, thank you very much) and I know that L!Lilina is still very threatening thanks to her low CD AoE special. Yuri has 2 things going against him for that role, first he deals physical damage and Def is generally higher than Res so he'll end up struggling with tanks. Second issue is more of an AR problem and has no bearing on PvE, and that's choosing between Disarm Trap or Special Spiral which is a serious consideration as you'll be compromising his utility of testing traps and allowing a teammate to go into the frontline to start either a Hit & Run strategy or Galeforce sweep.  

14 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

I do recall the Ophelia days (I've been playing since year 1, thank you very much) and I know that L!Lilina is still very threatening thanks to her low CD AoE special. Yuri has 2 things going against him for that role, first he deals physical damage and Def is generally higher than Res so he'll end up struggling with tanks. Second issue is more of an AR problem and has no bearing on PvE, and that's choosing between Disarm Trap or Special Spiral which is a serious consideration as you'll be compromising his utility of testing traps and allowing a teammate to go into the frontline to start either a Hit & Run strategy or Galeforce sweep.  

I have not used Disarm Trap in Aether Raids yet, but I think its necessity is a bit overblown depending on the teams you use and where you want to land in Aether Raids. If you are just playing casually, it is not necessary at all. Super tanks do not care about Heavy Traps, but do want to avoid Lightning Traps. Player phase teams want to step on Lightning Traps, but avoid Heavy Traps. Double Save tank teams do not even care what they step on if they have Flayns for immediate healing. For most offense teams, they only really need to avoid one type of Trap, and bringing Disarm Trap just to disable/test one Trap feels unnecessary. Additionally, Yuri also makes it easier to test traps by Swapping with the tester and then Cantoing out.

While Def is higher than Res overall, Yuri is colorless, is able to take advantage of dagger debuffs, and has a C slot open for Savage Blow or Fatal Smoke, which more than offsets not being a mage in my opinion.

Edited by XRay

Expected this next month. But heck yes!

Yuri and Hapi were going to be guaranteed pulls for me once they got in the game whether they were good or not, and Yuri at least looks pretty damn good. Wish it was their post timeskip designs but this was what was expected. Will probably go for the other two as well on the way to spark.

I have a fair few orbs right now and I am very happy about this!

8 minutes ago, XRay said:

I have not used Disarm Trap in Aether Raids yet, but I think its necessity is a bit overblown depending on the teams you use and where you want to land in Aether Raids. If you are just playing casually, it is not necessary at all. Super tanks do not care about Heavy Traps, but do want to avoid Lightning Traps. Player phase teams want to step on Lightning Traps, but avoid Heavy Traps. Double Save tank teams do not even care what they step on if they have Flayns for immediate healing. For most offense teams, they only really need to avoid one type of Trap, and bringing Disarm Trap just to disable/test one Trap feels unnecessary. Additionally, Yuri also makes it easier to test traps by Swapping with the tester and then Cantoing out.

While Def is higher than Res overall, Yuri is colorless, is able to take advantage of dagger debuffs, and has a C slot open for Savage Blow or Fatal Smoke, which more than offsets not being a mage in my opinion.

It's true that Disarm Trap loses value in casual play, but at that point you can run whatever and do fine so I'd consider that a non factor. The problem with having to use both a tester and then have Yuri bail them out is that you're using 2 actions just to test a Trap, and you may not have the leeway to do that if you're facing a turn 1 initiation team with a properly placed Duma/Catapult to snipe your Safety Fence. Triggering an untimely Trap can also end up ruining some of the more finnicky WoM+Galeforce comps. Overall Disarm Trap is not a "Must have" in AR, but it really makes some teams perform with more consistency than they would without the skill.

Yuri has his perks as an offensive unit, but I feel his true role is as a support that can allow other units to get into the fray safely. 2 years ago or so people tried running the colorless AoE nuke with Barb Shuriken Sothe, but it never became a staple build and ended up as more of a niche due to it being easily countered by common high Def walls (nowadays that would be Far Save B!Hector, and he also has the perk of ignoring stat reductions thanks to his Prf). Not to mention AoE spam builds suffer heavily from damage reduction as that reduces their output considerably, and is probably the main reason Ophelia based teams fizzled out of the meta. 

Aelfric is the Grand Hero Battle, for anyone who hasn't yet seen.

I'm wondering what the inheritance restrictions are on Foul Play. It would be kind of hilarious to have on a Save tank, but I have doubts it'll be available on anything other than infantry.

Everything else in this batch is otherwise pretty tame.

• Yuri stands out as an infantry with Canto, and that's it. His bulk is awful, though.
  • Constance is a fast tome flier with the offensive half of Null Follow-Up, letting her Windsweep Edelgard.
  • Hapi is a cavalry tome with Time's Pulse, a Slaying weapon, and effective damage against dragons and beasts. Her Spd is garbage, but it's still high enough to Windsweep Edelgard if that floats your boat.
  • Muspell we already knew about other than his Domain of Flame, which is tamer than I expected, but will probably be a massive annoyance on teams with Duo Catria.
  • Balthus and Aelfric exist, I guess.

I'll pull for Muspell, at least, seeing as red has two characters and I don't mind a copy of Constance. I'll probably spark Yuri, though, just to play around with Foul Play. If Foul Play is restricted to infantry, his access to Canto at least gives him a valuable niche. Hapi would be really nice to have for Arena Assault, but I'm not sure I can justify pulling for her on this banner. I still haven't played Three Houses yet despite having it, so I have zero previous attachment to any of the characters.

Edited by Ice Dragon

My thoughts:

• Yuri's Foul Play opens up a number of new strategies, for as simple a skill as it is. Between that and his expanded move range AND Canto, I'd daresay he has more use as a utility unit than a combat unit... except he totally has the offensive stats to be a solid combat unit as well. Great stuff all around.
  • Well that's... one way to reference Constance's Prf skill? She will inevitably draw comparisons to Summer Byleth... unfavorable comparisons, I might predict...
  • Hapi enters the ring with dragon/beast effectiveness, and between that, built-in Time's Pulse along with a slaying effect, and as many Atk mods she has even just by default, she's looking to be a solid combat unit. Of course the question, as always, will be how she does against Hegemon, but honestly she looks good anyway. Glimmer though... pfffft, that girl is just ASKING for Ruptured Sky.
  • Welp, so much for brawling.
  • Muspell. Domain of Flame's effect is... interesting. I think this is the first time a support effect boosts damage by so much as 30% of (units Atk -foes Res). Muspell himself coming with built-in Fatal Smoke is good as well.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, can we talk about Fafnir for a moment? Cause what in the goddamn happens next???

15 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Aelfric is the Grand Hero Battle, for anyone who hasn't yet seen.

Oh boy, our (likely) fourth red tome infantry GHB of this Book and third straight red tome GHB.

They even just used Aelfric's Japanese voice actor for Pelleas as well.

4 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, can we talk about Fafnir for a moment? Cause what in the goddamn happens next???

The midpoint movie is about to happen next. As in, he becomes a mecha Demonic Beast "thanks" to Eitri.

57 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

It's true that Disarm Trap loses value in casual play, but at that point you can run whatever and do fine so I'd consider that a non factor. The problem with having to use both a tester and then have Yuri bail them out is that you're using 2 actions just to test a Trap, and you may not have the leeway to do that if you're facing a turn 1 initiation team with a properly placed Duma/Catapult to snipe your Safety Fence. Triggering an untimely Trap can also end up ruining some of the more finnicky WoM+Galeforce comps. Overall Disarm Trap is not a "Must have" in AR, but it really makes some teams perform with more consistency than they would without the skill.

A lot of people use Safety Fence to do anything from sniping a unit to testing Traps against turn 1 initiation teams. My Nótt cav line win rate dropped noticeably in Vault of Heaven due to it particularly later in the week. And Safety Fences are not as easy to snipe as people think they are, as no one in their right minds would put Safety Fence in the middle two columns to get destroyed, unless they do not rely on Safety Fence in the first place and they do not care whether it exists or not. Due to how wide the Safety Fence covers, it is still very effective when placed on the edge or off center, as most defense teams do not have the resources to threaten all four center columns simultaneously, let alone the side columns, so there is no need to place Safety Fence right smack in the middle.

57 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

Yuri has his perks as an offensive unit, but I feel his true role is as a support that can allow other units to get into the fray safely. 2 years ago or so people tried running the colorless AoE nuke with Barb Shuriken Sothe, but it never became a staple build and ended up as more of a niche due to it being easily countered by common high Def walls (nowadays that would be Far Save B!Hector, and he also has the perk of ignoring stat reductions thanks to his Prf). Not to mention AoE spam builds suffer heavily from damage reduction as that reduces their output considerably, and is probably the main reason Ophelia based teams fizzled out of the meta. 

Sothe is not gutted because of high Def, Sothe and nukes on Infantry Pulse defense teams are gutted because Pulse Smoke shuts Infantry Pulse down as it became increasingly common, and super tanks generally have balanced bulk that makes whatever stat nukes target irrelevant. And it is not a good idea to run a defense team solely of mages either, as you do not want the offense team to just tank the defense team with a simple Res wall. Dodge was never the main reason why Infantry Pulse teams fell in prominence as even the best Dodge super tanks are not immune to being crushed by the weight of Flash with half a dozen Special triggers on top.

Additionally, defense cannot utilize Spd based Dodge skills particularly well due to a lack of coordination, and offense can generally bring more Spd Mythics to bear to win the Spd check, so it is not like Spd based Dodge on defense is going to trigger reliably anyways. Blazing nukes on offense simply are not affected as harshly from Dodge as the Blazing nukes on defense did.

I agree Yuri is great as a support unit, but he differs from other support units because of how well he performs as a combat unit. Up until this point, the only unit that I can think of that can be a good combat AND support unit at the same time is Gunnthrá, and she only managed to do that very recently.

22 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:
  • Yuri stands out as an infantry with Canto, and that's it. His bulk is awful, though.

I am pretty sure he is not meant to be used an enemy phase unit, and he is only used that way in the video to show off his skills.

I think he is pretty strong as a nuke though. Instant Ruptured Skys and Blazing nukes are no joke.

Edited by XRay