New Heroes: Abyss & Muspell

Jave

2 hours ago, XRay said:

HOLY NAGA'S COWPIE CRUSTED FALCHION!!!

Yuri is fucking insane! He can SWAP within 3 SPACES!

Minor correction, but Foul Play can swap from precisely 3 spaces away. Its range is 3, not 1-3, so it can't swap from 1-2 spaces away.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More translation things, I guess.

The banner is "深淵を照らす灯火&ムスペル" (shin'en o terasu tomoshibi & musuperu), "The Lamp That Illuminates the Abyss & Muspell".

Yuri's epithet, Ashen Valiant, is "灰色の義侠心" (hai-iro no gikyōshin), "Ash-Colored Chivalry".

Honorable Blade is "義侠の戦刃" (gikyō no senjin), "Chivalrous War-Blade".

Foul Play is "トリック" (torikku), "Trick".

Constance's epithet, Fallen Noble, is "雌伏令嬢" (shifuku reijō), "Lady in Hiding".

Agnea's Arrow is "アグネアの矢" (agunea no ya), "Agnea's Arrow".

Hapi's epithet, Drawn-Out Sigh, is "魔物を呼ぶため息" (mamono o yobu tameiki), "Monster-Calling Sigh".

Demonic Tome is "魔獣の書" (majū no sho), "Demonic Beast Tome".

Muspell's epithet, Flame God, is "炎神" (enshin), "Flame God".

Flamelick Breath is "絶炎のブレス" (zetsuen no buresu), "Breath of Unparalleled Flame".

Domain of Flame is "絶炎結界" (zetsuen kekkai), "Domain of Unparalleled Flame".

Balthus's epithet, King of Grappling, is "レスターの格闘王" (resutā no kakutō-ō), "Leicester's King of Grappling".

Aelfric's epithet, Custodian Monk, is "庇護の修道士" (higo no shūdōshi), "Protector Monk".

It's worth noting that all of Muspell's everything is patterned to match with Nifl's everything:

Nifl's epithet, God of Ice, is "氷神" (hikami), "Ice God".

Frostbite Breath is "絶氷のブレス" (zekkōri no buresu), "Breath of Unparalleled Ice".

Domain of Ice is "絶氷結界" (zekkōri kekkai), "Domain of Unparalleled Ice".

I like Constance's Japanese name more. It's "Constanze" pronounced in German with the nice German "z" sound.

41 minutes ago, XRay said:

I am pretty sure he is not meant to be used an enemy phase unit, and he is only used that way in the video to show off his skills.

He's not going to take counterattacks well at all. If he isn't landing a one-hit kill, he's pretty much toast since his weapon has no in-combat effects other than the +6 Atk and Spd.

Edited by Ice Dragon

21 minutes ago, Florete said:

Minor correction, but Foul Play can swap from precisely 3 spaces away. Its range is 3, not 1-3, so it can't swap from 1-2 spaces away.

That is true. Still pretty good though.

7 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

He's not going to take counterattacks well at all. If he isn't landing a one-hit kill, he's pretty much toast since his weapon has no in-combat effects other than the +6 Atk and Spd.

He is still going to reach well over 70 bulk in Aether Raids, if not higher, depending on his team composition and build. Unless the enemy he is fighting is going to counter attack with a Special trigger immediately to his face or something similar, he does not have much to worry about. Against units like Edelgard: Hegemon Husk and Hector: Brave Warrior who counters with Bonfire, he can use "Desperation" as a Blazing nuke to bypass/delay the counter attack as well, or simply let Alm: Imperial Ascent or any other tank buster to handle them.

For PvE, 66 bulk is more than enought to take a counter attack.

*yawn* What a boring banner.

I care for any of these Heroes. I never got the DLC in 3H because, for me, it doesnt value its price,  so I don't care for these people from the Abyss.

But honestly, I am glad that it's a easy skip to be.

Edited by Diovani Bressan

6 hours ago, Florete said:

I will not be pulling, but I am happy about this for my own reasons which will not be disclosed.

Let me guess, CYL? One or both of the Byleths are almost definitely locked in for next year, but hopefully knocking out the Ashen Wolves like this will cut down their momentum come January.

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'm wondering what the inheritance restrictions are on Foul Play. It would be kind of hilarious to have on a Save tank, but I have doubts it'll be available on anything other than infantry.

I was going to say Foul Play is likely locked to him, but Ruptured Sky ended up inheritable so I suppose it's not that easy. If it is inheritable though, it'll be our first high-SP movement assist skill. I imagine that'll have some effect on Arena going forward.

I'll wait before deciding either way, but I am tempted by Yuri. He could probably be a decent support unit in AR with Disarm Trap, after all.

Edited by DefyingFates

Yuri's weapon has pretty much the same effect on his offenses as Reginn: +6 Atk/Spd, although hers also gives +3 base Spd. Looks like his base stats are 39 Atk and 43 Spd, while Reginn's are 36 Atk and 40 Spd. He doesn't have her damage reduction or personal Special, but he does have the ability to instantly charge a 2 CD Special with his Slaying effect Time's Pulse, as well as receiving mythic stat bonuses, keeping most enemies at neutral triangle advantage, and the ability to reach things she can't.

I think he's gonna take over from Ninja Lyn as my primary Light season sniper, although the two of them may benefit from working together at times. I can get him Moonbow and SS3, and it might be worth finally picking up that Palla manual for Disarm Trap, just to make sure he can reach anything.

Well, Muspell's really the only one I want here. The others are cool, but I haven't gotten around to playing their mode in 3H yet, so I may as well pass on them for now. That said, I'm saving up orbs to try to get Performing Arts Shigure, so I'll just have to do what I did with Nifl and just wait for Muspell to land in my lap (not that Nifl's come to my barracks yet either. Goodness, I hope Askr and Embla are less embarrassing than these two...)

Random thought, maybe they'll give Balthus 4 star Quick Reposte. From the trailer he has Instant Axe and Brazen Atk/Def (which is already available on Ares). War Master has QR as a mastery skill, so there could be a reference to that, like how Brazen is a reference to his King of Grappling skill.

Anyone else feeling that Three Houses fatigue?  This is the 3rd New Heroes banner that Three Houses has gotten within the last year.  It's like how Awakening and Fates got so much attention in Heroes' first 2 years.

Radiant Dawn hasn't gotten a New Heroes banner in over 2 years (It's last one was the Rulers of the Laguz banner, which it shared with Path of Radiance, and was early on in Book 3).

10 minutes ago, FailWood said:

Anyone else feeling that Three Houses fatigue?  This is the 3rd New Heroes banner that Three Houses has gotten within the last year.  It's like how Awakening and Fates got so much attention in Heroes' first 2 years.

I understand the sentiment but on the other hand things like the Three Houses Brave alts are our own collective fault and it did take them about two years to add very popular characters like Ashe. 

10 hours ago, Alexmender said:

I do recall the Ophelia days (I've been playing since year 1, thank you very much) and I know that L!Lilina is still very threatening thanks to her low CD AoE special. Yuri has 2 things going against him for that role, first he deals physical damage and Def is generally higher than Res so he'll end up struggling with tanks. Second issue is more of an AR problem and has no bearing on PvE, and that's choosing between Disarm Trap or Special Spiral which is a serious consideration as you'll be compromising his utility of testing traps and allowing a teammate to go into the frontline to start either a Hit & Run strategy or Galeforce sweep.  

10 hours ago, XRay said:

I have not used Disarm Trap in Aether Raids yet, but I think its necessity is a bit overblown depending on the teams you use and where you want to land in Aether Raids. If you are just playing casually, it is not necessary at all. Super tanks do not care about Heavy Traps, but do want to avoid Lightning Traps. Player phase teams want to step on Lightning Traps, but avoid Heavy Traps. Double Save tank teams do not even care what they step on if they have Flayns for immediate healing. For most offense teams, they only really need to avoid one type of Trap, and bringing Disarm Trap just to disable/test one Trap feels unnecessary. Additionally, Yuri also makes it easier to test traps by Swapping with the tester and then Cantoing out.

While Def is higher than Res overall, Yuri is colorless, is able to take advantage of dagger debuffs, and has a C slot open for Savage Blow or Fatal Smoke, which more than offsets not being a mage in my opinion.

Also you can always give Yuri the sorcery blade skill (which even comes as an S skill so you don't have to waste his A slot), sure he will be a little more limited, having to be adjacent to mages during combat, but still.

Just now, ARMADS!!! said:

Also you can always give Yuri the sorcery blade skill (which even comes as an S skill so you don't have to waste his A slot), sure he will be a little more limited, having to be adjacent to mages during combat, but still.

Adjacency requirements are not practical on nukes, and you are still wasting the S slot since you are not running Life and Death for more guaranteed damage output.

6 hours ago, XRay said:

He is still going to reach well over 70 bulk in Aether Raids, if not higher, depending on his team composition and build. Unless the enemy he is fighting is going to counter attack with a Special trigger immediately to his face or something similar, he does not have much to worry about. Against units like Edelgard: Hegemon Husk and Hector: Brave Warrior who counters with Bonfire, he can use "Desperation" as a Blazing nuke to bypass/delay the counter attack as well, or simply let Alm: Imperial Ascent or any other tank buster to handle them.

For PvE, 66 bulk is more than enought to take a counter attack.

"Well over 70 bulk" isn't exactly anything to brag about in Aether Raids, though. The game's heavy hitters are all sitting above 80 Atk even without a Special charged. A +0+0 Yuri with 2 non-Def blessing bonuses hits 76 physical bulk, which increases to 86 physical bulk at +10+5. If you run double Life and Death for Blazing Wind, that's only 66 physical bulk at +0+0 and 76 at +10+5.

With an AoE Special, a maxed out Yuri can get to 76 visible Atk if he has a superboon and forgoes Hardy Bearing plus 6 Atk in combat with no Atk blessing bonuses. A maxed out Brave Hector with a standard Save build has 46 visible Def plus 16 Def in combat and 68 HP with 2 non-Def blessing bonuses. Yuri does 45+20 damage to Hector on the first attack, which won't kill him, and Hector has 77 Atk with no Atk blessing bonuses against Yuri's 76 physical bulk if you have 2 non-Def blessing bonuses.

Those numbers are not favorable to Yuri, as even if you do try to creep Yuri's stats up a bit more with blessings and team support, Hector can do the same and more efficiently.

For PvE, 66 bulk is really pushing it in game modes like Resonant Battles, Allegiance Battles, and Abyssal maps.

3 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Sorcery Blade costs him 4-6 Atk from an Atk-boosting Sacred Seal, which is in the same ballpark as the difference between Def and Res on modern tanks, meaning you get only a marginal gain in damage against units with lower Res if at all and a guaranteed loss of damage against units with lower Def.

Additionally, Sorcery Blade is strictly worse than Life and Death for AoE Specials, as based on its description, it doesn't look like Sorcery Blade applies to them.

I suspect Constance forging bonds will be with other characters who are two faced. People like Charlotte assuming either her gloomy or snobby side is an act. 

With Hapi I could see her being bummed out about being in Askr and that either Linhardt or Ashe tries telling her its not so bad. 

Yuri might be chatting with other thieves and Balthus with other punchy boys. 

All of the units on this banner are pretty cool. Balthus aside everyone seems to be bringing something unique to the table and I thought Constance bringing a parasol along to guard against the sun was pretty funny. Though this banner did feel kind of predictable. When I saw Yuri I already knew what the entire banner was going to be.

I just hope Aelfric isn't yet another red ghb mage. Red infantry mages get a lot of stuff, but its usually kinda lame ghb's with little to offer. Reserve the infantry red tome spot for a demote seasonal with a good inheriteable tome or something. Considering he mostly used fire magic I have a feeling i'm going to be dissapointed with this one.

Edited by Sasori

Well I am actually happy my boy Balthus is free since he is a personal favorite and I will give him any fodder he needs to be good.  As for the banner I am going to skip, but all free pulls will go towards Yuri since I like him as well.

Yuri seems pretty cool having 3 mov.(as an infantry) + canto + foul play + Good Spd/Res.

Constance is Ok. I don't feel anything particular about her. Cool she has canto I guess.

Hapi is finally what we've all knew (and were praying) that was going to happen: A new beast slayer for saving us from the Hegemon. Actually for me, being a Fallen Edelgard counter would seem to be Hapi's very purpouse, if she had higher Def (or damage reduction) and Null follow up. I mean she deals magic damage, is effective against beasts, is a calvary with canto which means that she could easily hit n run on F!Edelgard (so she wouldnt be attacked on enemy phase unless the hegemon husk could reach her with the extra action), also giving her Luna, Astra, Ruptured sky, Iceberg or Glacies would make the job even easier, it sounded great. Problem is: 16 def is absolute CRAP and with this I don't think she can stand even one counterattack from F!Edelgard, and her (crappy) Spd being higher than F!Edelgard's is worth nothing without the Null followup unless she is untransformed/has less than 25% Hp. So I think I'll wait for the next beast slayer to see if its better, until there I'll stick with my Petrine. I'm pretty disapointed with Hapi because we don't get a beast slayer since what, Petra? And, specially now that we need it, we get one with an obinoxiously atrocious defense. Guess she can be a good dragon killer, but I'll skip.

Then there's Muspell. He is great, awesome stats, I like domain of fire and his other skills (Dragon wall seems annoyingly unecessary, I love it), and having a second cavalry dragon is pretty useful (specially since his stats are Armor unit like, but he is a CAVALRY)

So I'll probably only spark for red (chosing grey if red is not available in the summon section), and likely only using free summons (maybe)

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I understand the sentiment but on the other hand things like the Three Houses Brave alts are our own collective fault and it did take them about two years to add very popular characters like Ashe.

I wasn't counting the Brave alts, as those are based on the characters themselves, and not the game they're from.

I don't get the point you're trying to make with Ashe.  He was added via seasonal banner, which is not what I'm talking about.

The three banners I'm talking about are the Goddess's Servants banner (that brought Seteth, Flayn, Catherine, and Shamir), the Seeds of Foldan banner (that brought Ingrid, Dedue, Linhardt, and Marianne), and this Abyss banner.  They all happened within the last 11 months.

Edited by FailWood

2 hours ago, FailWood said:

I thought 3H has only gotten two including this one? Either way, if this is what it takes to stop 3H overtaking CYL for a third year in a row, I'm all for this as a necessary evil. Competition's going to be tough enough with the Byleths, Rhea and any students in alt hell right now (and Ignatz of course), even without Yuri blocking Chrom again.

2 hours ago, Sasori said:

I just hope Aelfric isn't yet another red ghb mage. Red infantry mages get a lot of stuff, but its usually kinda lame ghb's with little to offer. Reserve the infantry red tome spot for a demote seasonal with a good inheriteable tome or something. Considering he mostly used fire magic I have a feeling i'm going to be dissapointed with this one.

I'm not getting my hopes up, considering this bizarre trend IS created for themselves where all magic antagonist GHBs get gimmicky red tomes. I'd love to be wrong though.

3 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

I thought 3H has only gotten two including this one? Either way, if this is what it takes to stop 3H overtaking CYL for a third year in a row, I'm all for this as a necessary evil. Competition's going to be tough enough with the Byleths, Rhea and any students in alt hell right now (and Ignatz of course), even without Yuri blocking Chrom again.

Nope, this is the 3rd New Heroes banner Three Houses has gotten in the last 11 months.

I'm almost certain that one of the Byleths will be a CYL winner next time.  Female Byleth in particular was in a winning position until people got too distracted by Gatekeeper's dominance on the Men's side to notice Marianne sneak past her on the Women's side, and they'll likely want her to get something new now that Male Byleth has a Legendary.

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

"Well over 70 bulk" isn't exactly anything to brag about in Aether Raids, though. The game's heavy hitters are all sitting above 80 Atk even without a Special charged. A +0+0 Yuri with 2 non-Def blessing bonuses hits 76 physical bulk, which increases to 86 physical bulk at +10+5. If you run double Life and Death for Blazing Wind, that's only 66 physical bulk at +0+0 and 76 at +10+5.

While there are many prominent units that can achieve very high Atk, there are also plenty more units that cannot achieve that level of attack. It is impossible to make every unit on defense reach that level of Atk, as you still need support units that have less attack, or player phase units depending on the team composition and they generally have much less Atk on enemy phase.

While Save tanks can cover some of that weakness by forcing to nukes on offense to fight them, Save tanks are vulnerable to Fireweepers, and there has been a large influx of all kinds of Sweepers lately that can weaken them significantly enough with just one round of combat for regular nukes to take them out in a second round of combat.

Edited by XRay

2 hours ago, FailWood said:

Radiant Dawn hasn't gotten a New Heroes banner in over 2 years (It's last one was the Rulers of the Laguz banner, which it shared with Path of Radiance, and was early on in Book 3).

15 minutes ago, FailWood said:

I wasn't counting the Brave alts, as those are based on the characters themselves, and not the game they're from.

I don't get the point you're trying to make with Ashe.  He was added via seasonal banner, which is not what I'm talking about.

The three banners I'm talking about are the Goddess's Servants banner (that brought Seteth, Flayn, Catherine, and Shamir), the Seeds of Foldan banner (that brought Ingrid, Dedue, Linhardt, and Marianne), and this Abyss banner.  They all happened within the last 11 months.

I think the seasonal banners are contributing to this 3 houses fatigue too. I mean, I know you were only talking about the New Heroes banners, but when one game dominates a seasonal banner, having all the characters being from that game only, is kinda annoying too, and this happened with 3 houses in this summer, so there were technically 4 3H solo banners (I don't think there were more 3 houses solo banners in the past months, right?)