What sorta New Game + Insanity would you like to see in an new FE Game/Remakes?

Samz707

New Game + in games sometimes allows for some absurd non-canon stuff in the name of fun after clearing the game, Three Houses let Byleth carry over supports and stats but stuff like exclusive enemy weapons are still unavailable without hacks, (Or buying the hacked items via online Merchant.) while in theory they could have potentially been added to shops as an reward for clearing all routes.

So what would you like to see as New Game + Content?

As for mine:

Blazing Blade:

Alternative outfits for the Lords Eliwood and Hector's outfits when they take their respective thrones (And an equivalent for Lyn) as bonus costumes, with also perhaps FE6 Eliwood/Hector and maybe a bonus FE6-style (AKA Older) Lyn as a second set of bonus costumes. 

Ninian/Nils Dragonstone, so they can transform and fight just like in Heroes.

Sacred Stones:

I only just started this entry but I Know Myrrh suffers from only having one Dragonstone, even in Creature Campaign, so a remake could add Dragonstones to shops during Creature Campaign so she's still useful post-game.

Future Titles:

Being able to use non-canon characters like FE6/8 again.

Adding enemy only weapons to shops/secret shops.

Not gonna lie I think stat booster should be buyable in new game + like hoe SS lets you buy them in the post game. This way you get a lot more freedom for what characters you can use.

Edited by ciphertul

in general

- optional post game campaigns, they dont even have to be long but the thabes labyrinth was an awesome challenge to bite into with a post game team so maybe something like that outside of just having a new game plus feature?

- hidden new game plus characters, pelleas might not have been really worth it in fe10 but it was interesting that you could save him on a new game plus run and later use him as a unit so i would like to see some more stuff like that

- tutorial skipping, fe3h had no excuse for keeping that shit on in a new game plus run

- new game plus inheritance, say stat boosts or specific items or skills or something for units on a new game plus run

- select a chapter, so if you just wanna replay a specific map again instead of doing a full run you have the option to do so with either saved unit data, post game units for the lolz, or some sort of pre built team. maybe even have chapter challenges were you rechallenge specific chapters but with new restrictions or specific team compositions and reasources

another bloody fe1/3 remake because i crave

- an option to mess with the canon parings? doesn't even have to be new game plus but as much as i like caeda/marth it might be kinda cute/fun to see some wacky alternate history paring shenanigans or somethin and new game plus could be a fun nod/way to achieve that well still replicating the original

- again not strictly a new game plus feature but if they ever do a full fe3 remake books 1 and 2 same package one thing id like to see would be carry over decisions from book 1 to book 2. say you chose samson instead of arran, then instead of book 2 jagen being arran its samson, or if you didnt get either of them/your choice is dead then its an even weaker jagen instead. astram dies in book 1 caesar takes his place in book 2, jeorge dies in book 1 tomas takes his place in book 2, stuff like that

fe4

- holy blood injections, like the crest items but instead you get say specific items that give characters certain holy blood status permanently for that run like stat boosters.

I've heard of an old RPG called Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, and a relatively recent SRPG known as Into the Breach. 

In both cases from what I've read, these games have a mechanic in case the player progresses in the game and either loses, or becomes so stuck that they don't think they proceed any further. The similar but different mechanics amount to an NG+ before the game has actually been completed. The carryover benefits should allow the player to progress further on their subsequent run of the game, possibly make it to the very end.

Into the Breach is procedural generation, so maybe it isn't the best example. But maybe there is room to experiment with this in FE?

I always wish RD had a Sacred Stones-esque-post-game-challenge like the Lagdou Ruins (except in other unexplored places of Ashera's Tower).

Super duper tough a la FE13's bonus content, fighting hordes of Ashera's spirits and even resurrected heroes, being able to use formerly-exclusive enemies ... setting it in Ashera's Tower gives it a really cool setting for the drama and the not-canon vibe handwave. Even had dreams about it once.

Maybe in a remake?

Assuming IS will continue with what Three Houses' whole 'have caps, but are far to high to reasonably cap' thing, then I would like a NG+ like what the Witcher 3 did:  You start the game over while retaining all your stuff/stats, while the enemies get buffed as well.  It has potential, but I'd be more worried about it being completely unbalanced.

2 hours ago, kradeelav said:

I always wish RD had a Sacred Stones-esque-post-game-challenge like the Lagdou Ruins (except in other unexplored places of Ashera's Tower).

Super duper tough a la FE13's bonus content, fighting hordes of Ashera's spirits and even resurrected heroes, being able to use formerly-exclusive enemies ... setting it in Ashera's Tower gives it a really cool setting for the drama and the not-canon vibe handwave. Even had dreams about it once.

Maybe in a remake?

That... sounds pretty good, honestly.  Maybe it could have a survival mode?  See how many maps you can go before you drop, maybe even have a Leaderboard?

The more I think about it, the more I like it.

Replay Mode, where you have the option to go back to any map of your choosing after beating the game with either the characters you cleared the game with or reset to their base stats. So you can do experimental runs such as individual-level "What If" LTCs without putting in the absurd grind, or shits n' giggles stuff like killing a recruitable character with himself or stomping a map that gave you grief earlier.

Stuff I would like to see:

-New side chapters / missions that give more behind the scenes context on the main story. While not feeling required to understand the full picture like how RD did it with its new game+ locking important story points behind it. Just filling in minor details and some extra context.

-Buyable stat boosters like sacred stones did with its post game, and new mystery had after you beat the game on a certain difficulty.

-Some kind of infinite grinding like awakening and birthright had

-Some secret late game battle that makes use of said grinding. An incredibly difficult battle that basically requires capped out characters. With some kind of insanely good reward that carries over to all future new game+ saves that will be available from the start.

-Silly things like Oliver being recruitable in radiant dawn. Just some silly and completely out of nowhere thing that gives a quick laugh for a repeat playthrough.

-New characters who make sense for the story being actually usable. Think something like if Judith / Randolph / Rodrigue were actually playable units in 3 houses new game+ on their respective routes.

How about adding Crusader Scrolls to the potential Genealogy remake?

Here's how they'd work: a unit can keep Crusader Scrolls in their inventory, much like Rings and Bands. While held onto, they give the bearer the effects of Minor Holy Blood, increasing their stat growths and weapon ranks. So, if Thief Dew (C Swords, 50% HP, 40% Str) holds the Hezul Scroll (+1 Swords, +20% HP, +30% Str), then he will get boosted to B Swords, 70% HP growth, and 70% Strength growth. A Crusader Scroll can also stack with the same type of Holy Blood - so, if Johan (minor Neir) is given the Neir scroll, he will effectively have major Neir blood, further increasing his growths and letting him wield Helswath. In similar news, I would make Valflame, Helswath, and Mjolnir be dropped in their respective final appearances on enemy units.

In New Game+, Crusader Scrolls would be obtainable through certain enemy drops, villages, or talk conversations. E.g. the Ced scroll is obtained by sending Erinys to a certain village in Chapter 4, while the Dain scroll is dropped by Maykov (a Thracian boss in chapter 8). In terms of moving them around, I would give each scroll a value of 10,000 Gold - ergo, it can be sold for 5,000 Gold. I wouldn't include them in the "base" game, in case players would rather get the "pure" experience.

Here's where New Game++ comes in - in the New Game, any Crusader scroll you obtained in a previous playthrough will instead start off in the Pawn Shop. This way, you can do combinations that would previously be impossible (i.e. putting a scroll acquired in Gen 2 on a Gen 1 unit). I think this could be a fun way to diversify your future playthroughs, and influence unit growths.

Here's another one - remember some of the unique things Path of Radiance did? Options like Fixed Mode and Class Bands? Either or both of these could be great New Game+ additions to any game. Fixed Mode is great for conveying the average performance of each unit, while the Class-based bands allowed the player to impact unit growths. On top of Fixed Mode, I think an honest-to-goodness 0% Growths option would be a welcome addition to future games. Turn this popular "challenge variant" among fans into something that's accessible to those who don't wish to emulate.

22 hours ago, kradeelav said:

Maybe in a remake?

Perhaps it could be set in the basement of the Tower of Guidance? It'd be neat to see enemy classes that we don't face otherwise, like proper Gold and Silver Knights, or Wolf Laguz.

NG+ could just unlock all skills from all classes for the characters - i really don´t see a reason as to why you should have to go through several playthroughs to get something like Quick Salve. Though that´s just the lazy completionist in me whining.

Also, not really NG+ related but individual challenge maps, Fates DLC style, though with better balancing. As in predetermined units with predetermined stats, weapons items and skills and as a reward, I dunno... something useful? A rare staff? Stat Boost? Pure Water but with steroids?

8 hours ago, Samz707 said:

Alternative outfits for the Lords Eliwood and Hector's outfits when they take their respective thrones (And an equivalent for Lyn) as bonus costumes, with also perhaps FE6 Eliwood/Hector and maybe a bonus FE6-style (AKA Older) Lyn as a second set of bonus costumes.

You mean...they need disguises?

7c4.png

7 hours ago, NobodiePichu said:

- select a chapter, so if you just wanna replay a specific map again instead of doing a full run you have the option to do so with either saved unit data, post game units for the lolz, or some sort of pre built team. maybe even have chapter challenges were you rechallenge specific chapters but with new restrictions or specific team compositions and reasources

Now, I liked pretty much all of your ideas, but this idea...

I am very fond of this idea. Tightly designed challenge maps built around specific toolkits given to the player are always an absolute thrill.

7 hours ago, NobodiePichu said:

- holy blood injections, like the crest items but instead you get say specific items that give characters certain holy blood status permanently for that run like stat boosters.

Inject the Holy Blood directly into your veins.

Can you inherit Holy Blood from a parent who injected it into their bloodstream?

3 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Can you inherit Holy Blood from a parent who injected it into their bloodstream?

Lamarckian evolutionary theory intensifies 

That does seem to be how it worked in Three Houses, at least.

4 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

Also, not really NG+ related but individual challenge maps, Fates DLC style, though with better balancing. As in predetermined units with predetermined stats, weapons items and skills and as a reward, I dunno... something useful? A rare staff? Stat Boost? Pure Water but with steroids?

I assume these challenge maps would exist outside of the main campaign, correct? In that case, perhaps the rewards should be aesthetic, rather than mechanical. Stuff like new outfits or hair dye options for existing characters. Maybe new conversations, or bits of characterization. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me that the reward for completing a "challenge quest" would be a tool that makes the main campaign easier. Anyone who can beat those quests is gonna have no problem in the main game.

1 hour ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Lamarckian evolutionary theory intensifies 

That does seem to be how it worked in Three Houses, at least.

The Holy Blood from FE4 originally came from a transfusion with dragons as well, didn't it?

My high-school biology is a little rusty, but doesn't the baby get antibodies from the mother, but has no blood from her as an adult?

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

My high-school biology is a little rusty, but doesn't the baby get antibodies from the mother, but has no blood from her as an adult?

Regarding the second part, that's definitely correct. Blood cells die, and are made again, continually in a person's body. Their construction is informed by a person's DNA. So, something that changed a person's blood (but not their DNA) shouldn't affect the blood produced by their offspring. 

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

The Holy Blood from FE4 originally came from a transfusion with dragons as well, didn't it?

Yeah, I believe that's how it worked. Unless such a change occured to the recipient's DNA, it shouldn't be passed on to their children. In fact, the effect of getting "magic blood" should only last until the cells die.

Apparently, the Fire Emblem games with Holy Blood and Crests play by different rules than our own, when it comes to genetic inheritance.

I actually like the idea of earning renown from how well you play the game, and then being able to spend that renown for improvements. Stuff like supports and weapon ranks as in 3H, but maybe even character stats, weapon stats and growth rates. What and how depends on the balance of the game, but making players decide their own difficulty is something I'm all for.

If they decide to not bring combat arts back the way they worked in 3H, I would be all for maybe making certain weapons unbreakable in new game +. Or at least give them higher amounts of uses.

11 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I assume these challenge maps would exist outside of the main campaign, correct? In that case, perhaps the rewards should be aesthetic, rather than mechanical. Stuff like new outfits or hair dye options for existing characters. 

Regarding main campaign: that can just depend on the storytelling and would make for some choices, with which we are well beyond what I care about. Legendary sword hidden in wherever the fuck, but not exactly close by? Move there, but next map enemies are more numerous and stronger (or not). Strew that across the campaign and you get some sort of interactive game. 

Just make it a mission with some kind of 1x time only requirement, add some reasoning a ´la "allocate limited resources/time window to mission" and done. Give the units the pre-set builds etc and voila: mission created. Show off how some stuff works. The point is to make it a good challenge. Also, no to the whole aesthetic reward. That´s not a proper incentive to play the map (at the very least for me). 

12 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me that the reward for completing a "challenge quest" would be a tool that makes the main campaign easier. Anyone who can beat those quests is gonna have no problem in the main game.

These darn paralogues, eh. I think people have more problems with CQ than with Royal Royale. Then again, it doesn´t appear like there are many people who´ve played these maps. Not that I can blame them - some of the teams are... questionable. I certainly had more fun with the TH DLC maps than the main campaign maps. 

More tools, more fun.