Differing personalities.

FailWood

One pet peeve I have is when people say both Robins are exactly the same.  They have supports (besides S supports) that play out completely different based on which Robin you're playing as (Chrom, Lon'qu, Anna, Tiki, Basilio, Flavia, and all the 2nd Gen and Spotpass characters).  What do you think of their differences in personality, which supports are your favorite that they don't share, and which Robin do you like more based on their personality?

Well, I'd say it's more about the Main Story then the supports, but then again, I haven't seen many in-depth discussions on the topic.

Even then, the supports mostly show them with similar (if not identical) personalities.  That said, I prefer Male Robin, mostly because of Female's stupid supports with Chrome.

Both Robin have practically the same supports and while I'll say I prefer both gender Robins, I do really like Male Robin since I've always played him the most in my Awakening playthroughs and in Smash 3ds/Wii U. Not to mention David Vincent is a god at every role he does

Some of these are just male writers going "Hey, for no justifiable reason except that it makes sense in my head, this situation should play differently if there's a WOMAN involved, I have to make sure everyone knows this is WOMAN!Robin!" and sucking at it, so I don't take them in consideration when it comes to Robin's personality.

Why does F!Robin gets stupid bath shenanigans with Chrom? Because hey, did you know that's the Robin he can MARRY? let's make sure he sees her NAKED so you know!

Why is her Lucina support wasted on accusations of infidelity? Because if she's not Lucina's mother, it means there is a man and a woman who are best friends without being married! Don't you, heterosexual male player, think that's WEIRD? surely we can get some comedy out of this! (Nevermind that there is a perfectly logical and interesting reason for Lucina to be wary of or even hostile to Robin, if that's the dynamic they wanted, since she knows from the start Chrom was killed by his best friend. Really a shame that it's not more utilised.)

Why does F!Robin annoy Tiki? Because clearly, as a woman, she can't remind her of Marth! even though M!Robin does and there are only minimal changes between their personalities.

I'm not saying it's the case for all of them, for example it makes sense that there's a difference with Lon'qu's, and I could have done without the baiting in Flavia's but it's not bad. But sometimes it has no justification except for the writers relying on "catty women" stereotypes, and when that's the only explanation for something, it's just bad writing.

4 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Not exactly the same but mostly the same. Its not like Morgan who's got an entirely different personality depending on their gender. And that's actually kind of unfortunate. 

Agreed, and I think they were also better with the Morgans about not having one of them be more likeable (or unlikeable) then the other.