Name one thing you liked/loved about every lord or player character in each game you played, and create your perfect Lord.

henrymidfields

So quite a while back we had questions asking our favorite things in each game we played and make a summary of your perfect FE game based on that list. I'd like your ideal Lord, similarly based on every good thing from every lord or player character from the games you played before. Characteristics, storyline, gameplay, you name it. It could even be a support conversation.

Here is my answer as an example:

Spoiler

Marth (Shadow Dragon): The first four chapters showing Marth fleeing from his home, then gradually working his way to recover his homeland was epic!

Roy (Binding Blade): Tactics and strategy before brawns. Sun Tzu and Clausewitz over Rambo and Terminator.

Eirika (Sacred Stones): Another interesting Lord that wanted to be kind and just, but having to learn the cruelties of war.  

Ephraim (Sacred Stones): His scene with his ballsy attitude toward Valter was just hilariously awesome.

Robin (Awakening): Actually talking about tactics in support conversations.

Chrom (Awakening): Actually having to rely on Robin for tactics and the like.

Lucina (Awakening): Uuh, maybe a daughter of a legendary father creating her own legacy? I dunno. I really didn't find her all that appealing at all. Too inoffensive.

Itsuki (TMSFE): One of the few male lords to actually back off and be in a supporting role for someone else's character arc.

Corrin (Fates): I ended up cheating on this one, because I really can't find anything good about vanilla Corrin at all. From my Pacific Theatre edition Let's Play, Corrin is the friend of the Nohrian Arsenal of Democracy! Forsaking his homeland and everything from his birth and heritage, Corrin shall liberate the Asia-Pacific from the evil clutches of Fascist Hoshido!

Byleth: Making some actual tough decision to side with who, with all being understandable yet flawed as well, was thought-provoking.

Claude: First non-Caucasian Lord!

Dimitri: One of the few male lords to actually be shown screwing up and having to own up his flaws.

Edelgard: Female lord actually running her own story and creating her own destiny!

Conclusion:
If we have another male lord, either: a)give him a number of wrinkles like Dimitri, have others call him out, and actually force him to own up his flaws; or b) have him back off every now and then like Itsuki, and Chrom to a lesser extent, show certain non-Lord units on their take in the tactics, their stories, and their character arcs. Ideally do both, and make it clear that this male lord is not the omnipotent god of war, but an actual human being who needs to cooperate with others to ultimately save the day. Alternately, c) make him realise how deeply screwed his country is, make him defect to the other side, and show how he struggles with coming to terms with his identity, his loyalty, and his convictions.

If we have another female lord, then I wouldn't mind another Edelgard, but maybe make her more unambiguously heroic (and the writings more finished) for a change? Whether she's another antihero, or a more traditional Marth-like one, for Pete's sake do not shaft her under any circumstances! No ifs, ands, or buts!!

Edited by henrymidfields

Allright, let's try this.

Spoiler

Marth - Power of friendship is so cheesy but I kinda like it.
Alm - His bad jokes were everything.
Celica - We need more magic lords.
Roy - More of a tactician than a fighter, still hoping they will show that off more in gameplay in the remake.
Lyn - Not born into royalty, well technically she is, but also not really?
Eliwood - Ok I'll admit, I liked him during Lyn's story, being the hero to save Ninian, all around good guy (gets boring later on in his story though he needed more at that point).
Hector - Using axes, armor on promotion, I like how his build is different.
Eirika - Euh, female lord yay? idk
Ephraim - Lance, meaning being different, also using very risky tactics was interesting.
Ike - Knowing nothing of the world as a main character really helps getting involved in it as a player, also I really like people who follow their heart and do the right thing even though it's frowned upon.
Micaiah - Magic lord, also I actually don't mind her special power since they also gave it a drawback.
Chrom - Yeah I got nothing
Corrin - Being a manakete actually could've been cool, had it actually looked like a dragon, or anything not as weird as that thing.
Byleth - Not that I really minded the blank slate approach, but yeah I got nothing.
Claude - His white hat schemes, some people don't like that he doesn't actually get into the grey areas more but I like him sticking to the good side. Also bowlord.
Dimitri - His backstory being a mystery that is slowly, step by step, revealed. Also lancelord.
Edelgard - Axelord. I like her as a villain, but playing as the villain doesn't do it for me.

So, a heroic type with an ucommon unit build, making a bunch of jokes, being more of a talker than a fighter, and a mystery backstory... Ok now it sounds a little boring putting it all together. XD

mmh, ok, why not, but i'll be quick

Spoiler

Marth: i liked how childish he can be about not wanting to lose any of his allies

Alm: i how different, more reckless, than marth he is

Celica: i love her red-gold-white palette more than anything else about her (and i generally like her a lot)

Sigurd: how he's... actually not that good as a tactician and makes a lot of mistakes out of pure instinct

Seliph: how broken he becomes

Leif: eeeeh, not much tbh, but i can say i appreciate the fact that he's the only brown-haired lord in FE

Roy: fire is always cool

Lyn: i like that her tribe isn't used to wear pants, and i hate when IS throws this bit of characterization out of the window (eg. FE Warriors)

Eliwood: i like estoc swordfighters a lot

Hector: the only axe-main lord so far (Edelgard doesn't count, since 3H characters can use any kind of weapon)

Eirika: estoc swordfighter + she's really cute

Ephraim: i appreciate how he actually loves to fight in order to test himself

Ike: the only main character who's doesn' have a single drop of blue blood in his veins, and he's generally really cool

Micaiah: the only magic-main lord so far

Chrom: his... asymmetrical outfit, i guess

Lucina: her... long, blue hair, i guess

Robin: their... ability to make anyone want to have sex with them, i guess

Corrin: not available

Azura: i genuinely like her character design a lot

Byleth: at least Male Byleth's design is more reasonable than Corrin's

Dimitri: really cool redemption arc

Claude: really cool, fresh and absolutely not outdated memes

Edelgard: really cool albino hair

my "perfect lord" is something we've yet to see in FE: he'd come off as very brash, even asshole (basically a "neutral-evil" character), wanting to fight the evil enemy kingdom just to gain power and money, and trying to gather as many "gullibles" as possible in order to reach his goal, but he'd eventually change his mind after life has proven him wrong many times, starting to actually feel thankful towards his allies and friends, although not losing his brash and cocky personality

My answers seem somewhat longer than others. But I really liked what the criteria made me come up with. Turns out I'm way more in love with Azure Moon's art direction that I'd initially realized.

Spoiler

Marth: I like the way he cares. Marth's story is framed in a different way than a lot of other entries in the series, being more like a chronicle than a tale, and in a way that makes Marth somewhat underdeveloped, but the somewhat minamilistic style still manages to characterize Marth very well in few lines, and that character is one that really empathizes with ally and foe alike. I feel his reputation in games in the series almost make him seem like a Sue in this regard, but in his home game where we see it first hand and in that specific way, it becomes obvious why it's a trait that's so focused on. I would have liked to have seen this emphasized a bit more in Mystery of the Emblem however, to build up  the melodrama of Marth having to fight his former friend. Of course they utterly failed to ever really depict said Friendship in the two separate occasions they remade the first game, so without that foundation it probably would have come across as corny.

Kris: This guy is so goddamn humble. In a series full of absolute Avatar fellatio, Kris is the one who reacts in a way that seems realistic. S/he downplays his achievements like any common person who isn't a total narcissist would. S/he's just a down to Earth regular guy and that shines through really well in my opinion. And honestly it's the thing I want most from an Avatar. Just some regular Joe who takes these events in their stride like a real person.

Alm: I like Gaiden Alm.

Celica: Celica might just be my favourite lord when it comes to gameplay. It really feels like she can do everything. She feels like something that is rare for the series, a hybrid unit that actually works as a hybrid unit. But she can also heal and has effective damage against monsters. It's like she's overpowered, but still not so crazy that you can just use her mindlessly. Sort of like a Jack of All Trades, only slightly better. So I guess, funnily enough, she's' a Queen of All Trades. In terms of plot, well I genuinely like pacifism, so it's nice to see a Fire Emblem protagonist value it as a tenet, even if the gameplay doesn't support it in the slightest.

Sigurd:  I seem to interpret Sigurd differently to most of the fan base, and to a certain extent Kaga himself, but what I really love about his story is how utterly fucked he is right from the very start. From my reading of the story, while Sigurd is a bit naive to what's going on around him, he stlil consistently makes all the right choices both tactically and morally, yet none of it matters. He still loses in the end. His tragedy isn't the tragedy of a character flaw like Shakespere, it's more like a Greek Tragedy where the ending is predesitned and absolutely nothing Sigurd could have done would have avoided his fate. He was a good person, he made the right choices, he did everything a Fire Emblem protagonist is meant to do, and he still got kcikedi n the face by the universe for it.

Seliph: I actually struggle to think of anything positive to say about Seliph. He's probably the most bland and inoffensive of the protagonists in the series. I guess I can say I like how prominent his mother's bloodline is in regards to his series, despite inheriting the weapon and aestetic of his father. Fire Emblem is so often a father-son dichotomy, it's like to see weight being given to both of his parents as important figures in making him who he is.

Leif: Does he have the best written arc amongst lords in the series? Hmm, well maybe, only maybe. It's certainly comes across as the most focused on arc in the series. The rest of Thracia's cast might be paper thin, but this leaves a lot of time to focus on Leif alone. There are some jumps here and there in his characterization that could have been held as smoother transitions. What I can say about his arc is that it has the best advisor characters in the series (yes, better than Tatiana and Soren). In the end what I like about Leif's story is the perseverance aspect. Thracia has the somewhat well deserved title as the most difficult or most unfair Fire Emblem game and that resonates well with the plot. Life is unfair for Leif and he has to do everything he can merely to stay alive. Any chance he has to rise above gets batted down by forces beyond his own and the ultimate realization comes with not trying to single handedly change the world, but accepting that you're one of many pieces all working together to make a brighter future.

Roy: Roy is my boy. Love him to bits. I can't defend the writing of his game has fantastic though. I mean, it's not terrible either. The entire plot of Binding Blade is Seliph, blandly unoffensive. Yet Roy still manages to have more character than Seliph. What I like best about Roy is that he comes across as a genuine intellectual, without being a stereotype of a fantasy mage/scholar. He is very much in the warrior's role, but not by choice. In what plot there is in Binding Blade we see that Roy is keen to learn, thinks things over in a logical manner and knows how to utilize the strengths he has. They're all very positive traits. And somehow they manage to sell this on one of the youngest protagonists in the series. He doesn't come across as an adult in a child's body, Roy very much feels the age he is, just someone who is in the position that requires one to act unwavering mature and commanding.

Lyn: She's just likeable. I don't know how best to define that. Lyn just has charm. And no, I'm not talking about physical assets that have steadily gotten larger as the series has gone. I mean in the writing, Lyn from the start sucks you (or at least me) in and makes you want to help her. And this isn't coming from a bias of having played Blazing Blade first, that was like the fifth or sixth game I played in the series. Lyn just does a good job of feeling realistic and well rounded. I think if she didn't succeed so well at what she does then it wouldn't be as bothersome that she's completely ancillary to the plot.

Eliwood: I think they pull off the father son relationship with Eliwood pretty well. Not quite as well as with Ike and Greil, but way better than anything presented before this game. Eliwood really suffers during the course of his game and I like how that's worn on it's sleeve without being either dismissed or all consuming (man between Sigurd, Eliwood and Seliph I'm really coming across as someone who likes to see characters suffer XD).

Hector: I don't really like Hector all that much. It's not that I hate him he just sort of feels, I don't know...like a better integrated Lyn I guess? Like let's face it, Hector doesn't have a whole lot to do in Blazing Blade either, it's very much Eliwood's story. Yet for whatever reason it doesn't feel like that when playing the game, and no, I don't think that's because Hector mode exists. I think even just in the basic plot Hector feels like he has more reason to be there both in universe and in the role he fills as a character. I guess the cut a long story short and say something positive instead of quasi complaining, I like his insight. He's not as clueless as he seems and that works for him.

Eirika: Eirika is the closest thing we've had to a single female lord in the series, at that's still something I want to see some day, so until then, I'll just have to appreciate that about Eirika. She exists.

Ephraim: You know I like the way he manages to step into the plot without dominating it at the half way point. And it's sort of really weird he manages to do that, since he wipes out the entire enemy empire while Eirika is failing to achieve her objective and getting waylaid by side quests. But yeah, he somehow manages to both step in and be the new protagonist, while also managing to not completely displace the old protagonist. And I'm not really sure how he manages that.

Ike: What to say about Ike that hasn't already been said? Okay, how about something that I think is widely unpopular. I like Ike's relationship with the Black Knight in Radiant Dawn. A lot people think Zelgius's "redemption" was a cop out that ignores the evil he did and that Ike should have no respect for him. And yeah, I see their point, but it just doesn't bother me. For one I think it's clear from how immediately Ike attacks that in the tower that Ike still hates the Black Knight, it's only as Zelguis is dying does Ike swap to the whole "you were my final teacher" stchick. And that makes sense to me. Because the Black Knight is dying, Ike can learn to let go of the hatred and anger he felt, it doesn't matter anymore. It doesn't bring Greil back and doesn't help their situation. There's no joy to be felt in vengeance, just resignation and acceptance. And I like how succinctly they manage to revive and wrap up this whole plot. The Black Knight rivalry doesn't get a lot of time devoted to it in Radiant Dawn, and that's because it doesn't need to, the foundations were already built quite steadily in Path of Radiance and the game manages to make that transition so effortlessly that even a player who didn't play Path of Radiance (like myself) can get caught up on the dynamic pretty easily.

Micaiah: Patriotism, yo. Sure the Blood Pact is stupid and contrived, but once you turn off your brain in regards to that and just accept the situation, it does generate some good results. It shows the noble and ignoble aspects of standing for one's country. Micaiah comes across as very genuine in her love of her racist hell hole and that makes her willingness to go through battles she has no desire for completely believable.

Chrom: I like his dynamic with Walhart. In truth there's not a whole lot to it and the whole Valm arc really needed more space to breath, but the game does somehow manage to make a parallel between them work in just a few brief chapter titles and conversations. Just a major shame they didn't tie it all together by giving Walhart Alm's Falchion.

Robin: Is it cheating to say I like Grima XD Like the design they give Grima as Robin just really works for me. And that's funny because it's a character you visually design yourself. But the camera angles, body language, bit part voice acting and aura really manages to sell a difference between them. The arrogant head tilt just works.

Corrin: I wanted a dragon lord for a long time in Fire Emblem. Sure in the end the dragon aspect had no relevance to the plot and was really neutered in terms of gameplay, but I still got what I wanted and I'm appreciative of that.

Byleth: I like the sociopath aspect, sue  me. The character worship while the character is meant to be a sociopath is a bit unearned (but unearned praise is hardly anything new for Fire Emblem Avatars), the overall idea for Byleth still works and is believable. While I can see why they chose the route of a voiceless protagonist in this regard, I think it would have worked better if they gave Byleth some minor dialogue, so the silent distant aspect could be more readily seen (yeah, I think a character can come across as more silent if you give them some dialogue as opposed to none at all). And then the whole thing works well on a metaphorical level what with them literally being heartless.

Claude: Claude is like Lyn. He's just likeable. And it's a really good thing too as he feels really irrelevant to his own story, especially for me who played Silver Snow first and Verdant Wind second. Still though, even if he's not doing much that matters, Claude's personality definitely enhances Verdant Wind and puts it above Silver Snow. I'm curious to know how I would have felt about him and how he relates to his story if I'd played Verdant Wind first. Alas we can lose our Three Houses virginity only once. I guess to indentify something specific that I like about Claude beyond vaguely saying "his general personality", then it would be how he slowly opens up and reveals who he is over  time in Verdant Wind until the point of reveal about his heritage is so foregone as to not be a reveal at all, this is a good thing, it treats the player like they have a modicum of intelligence.

Dimitri: In conversations about which route came first, it's often noted that while Azure Moon doesn't have many animated cutscenes, it has far more CGs. Is this evidence it was made later? Maybe, but maybe it was just a design choice. Because what I like about Dimitri is his imagery. The shots of Azure Moon just look really well. Even though it was the last of the four I played, the look of Dimitri when you first see him post time skip is striking. That moment in the rain is looks really great. The costume change between High Lord and Great Lord is about the only thing that justifies the intermediate prf classes for the lords. And that ending cutscene with Edelgard with her trying to hurt him even in his dying breath and him just finally being done with her is magnificent, magnificent and heartbreaking. Three Houses might have been an unfinished mess, but whomever was in charge of the art direction for Azure Moon's story segments was really on point imo.

Edelgard: I like that they went there with a protagonist. I might have a tonne of problems with how they executed it as I've recently complained about on the unpopular opinions thread, but I do like that they decided to have an actual villainous protagonist in some aspect.

Edited by Jotari

I played the following FEs:

A) Fates: Corrin. The one defined by his siblings. I know it's heresy, but Corrin is actually my favourite Fire Emblem lord. Although he/she has little personality, I relate to him/her because of the relationships between the royal siblings. This relationship echoes mine with my siblings. Despite our differences and arguments, I know that they are people I can rely on in a pinch.

B) Echoes: Alm. The rash but righteous one. While he has a strong sense of justice, his pursuit of it leads to conflicts with his allies like Celica, Lukas and Clive.

C) Echoes: Celica. The innocent but dumb one. Really, why did she give up her soul so easily?

D) Three Houses Byleth. The emotionless teacher. Being a teacher myself, I know what it like to be in the middle of emotionally charged teenagers. After awhile, I started to be a bit detached to avoid being drawn to negative emotions.

E) Three Houses Dimtiri. Anger Issues

F) Three Houses Edelgard. The ambitious overachiever.

G) Three House Claude. Loki

Ike (Path of Radiance): He's my favourite video game protagonist, so it's hard to pick one thing I like about him. 

Micaiah (Radiant Dawn): Having an FE lord that was a light mage was pretty cool, and I like how she becomes something of a Joan of Arc for Daein.

Marth (Shadow Dragon): Access to the convoy during battle.

Chrom (Awakwning): …Chrom was rather placid for me, so this is difficult... He isn't badly written.

Robin (Awakening): I like that they're a tactician.

Lucina (Awakening): She's a cool character.

Corrin (Fates; all three versions): They're a half-dragon manakete lord with cool partial-transformation powers; there is a ton of potential there.

Alm: He's left-handed. After Link from The Legend of Zelda turned traitor in Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild, it was kind-of nice to have a left-handed protagonist.

Celica: Swords and magic is kind-of neat.

Byleth: It's kind-of fun playing as a teacher at what is essentially a military academy.

Edelgard: She's an axe-wielding red-armoured emperor who somehow manages to also an endearing character in her route.

Claude: An archer lord is a neat idea.

5 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Ike (Path of Radiance): He's my favourite video game protagonist, so it's hard to pick one thing I like about him. 

Micaiah (Radiant Dawn): Having an FE lord that was a light mage was pretty cool, and I like how she becomes something of a Joan of Arc for Daein.

Marth (Shadow Dragon): Access to the convoy during battle.

Chrom (Awakwning): …Chrom was rather placid for me, so this is difficult... He isn't badly written.

Robin (Awakening): I like that they're a tactician.

Lucina (Awakening): She's a cool character.

Corrin (Fates; all three versions): They're a half-dragon manakete lord with cool partial-transformation powers; there is a ton of potential there.

Alm: He's left-handed. After Link from The Legend of Zelda turned traitor in Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild, it was kind-of nice to have a left-handed protagonist.

Celica: Swords and magic is kind-of neat.

Byleth: It's kind-of fun playing as a teacher at what is essentially a military academy.

Edelgard: She's an axe-wielding red-armoured emperor who somehow manages to also an endearing character in her route.

Claude: An archer lord is a neat idea.

Amen to that.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

Amen to that.

Yeah. He's no Link from The Legend of Zelda, and I honestly don't really like Alm, but at least there's still one left-handed protagonist.

When will Nintendo realize that audiences liked that their left-handed characters are left-handed? Not only was Link made right-handed in Breath of the Wild for no good reason, but Nintendo's doubled down by also making Bowser Jr. right-handed in Bowser's Fury.

Marth: The og and classic Lord. Gotta love him for being basic but in a good way. 

Alm: Pretty fun character, I dig his quirky comments on environmental things when exploring. His while arc is pretty fun too. 

Celica: Her class rocks. Love the sword/magic/healing combo. Her character design is also one of the best in the series for all characters.

Sigurd: Really fun to have a prepromote Lord! Plus his story and character in general rocks! Everyone in the 1st generation has such a lovable thing going on for them!

Seliph: He is a kid who tries his best I guess. First dismountable unit is coolish. 

Leif: Was way cooler in FE4 with his usage of all weapons and magic. But his light sword is dope. And his critical rock. Also fun for him to be in a hard game and have it fit the narrative. 

Roy: His fire sword is cool I guess. Don't like him that much. 

Eliwood: Cool nobleman, sort of like Marth imo. Nice promotion with the horse. 

Hector: Love this dude's moxy. And his axe style is awesome. He gets great defense and swords upon promotion which is nice in FE7. 

Lyn: Her story and character are great. And she's a fun critical fisher. But overall she's a bad unit. 

Eirika: She ok. Another Marth style of personality. Overall more fun than Lyn because of horse.

Ephraim: Cool dude. Love the lance usage. Sweet personality.

Ike: LOVE this MAN. He's my favorite FE character. His story rocks and aether is supremely fun. Plus his high strength and defense plus speed makes him an overal fun destructive beast on the field. 

Micaiah: Very very cool Lord. She is rather frail and kind of sucks at the end of the game. But it doesn't bother me this time because she can be a healer at that point. She is a pretty interesting subversion of the Lord archetype but in a good way. And it's fun to have her fight Ike's army at times. 

Chrom: Love his memes lol. But he's a chill amalgamation of Ike and Marth. Enjoy his usage of lances upon promotion. 

Lucina: Same with Chrom, but more Marth. I do think she's dumb as heck for trying to kill Robin tho.

Robin: Cool character. Like that they use magic and swords. 

Corrin: Nice classes I suppose on promotion. 

Xander: Epic weapon, cool character design. 

Ryoma: Epic weapon, nice memes.

Byleth: Really like the personality and his storyline. Plus he can use all weapons and magic which is a universal thing of 3H, but still it's awesome he can do it. 

Edelgard: Love her as the antagonist and her role in 3H. She's interesting because one could say she is a hero, another could say she is a villain. And it's a beautiful thing. 

Dimitri: His character takes a fantastic journey in Azure Moon. Love the lance aesthetic, plus his high strength and defense growths are orgasm inducing. 

Claude: Great personality. Plus his bow preference is really awesome because bows rock in 3H. Awesome class too.

Chrom:....I kinda don't like him at all.

Robin: You can customize them slightly.

Corrin: You can customize them MORE.

Byleth: Dialogue choices....they're a decent chunk of the time bad...but they exist which is more than the other Avatars. 

Mark: Everyone isn't madly in love with them and praising them constantly and they feel like a Tactician rather than a Spec Ops Fantasy Soldier like Robin.

Lyndis: I love how her story isn't some big quest to save the world.

Eliwood: He hates violence but actually works to stop more violence. 

Hector: Dude's cool.

Alm: He's goofy but not in an over the top absurd annoying way.

Celica: She has a magical nuke spell, need I say more?

Conclusion:

I guess a Magical customizable Avatar with actual dialogue choices who ideally is more of a support unit?

Marth is a committed man. Even at his most genocidal he still has exclusive affection for his wife which overrides immeasurable bloodlust, and I respect his loyalty to the traditional family unit.

Roy is like, 15, but manages to be an effective leader in part because he understand the value of delegation.

Micaiah sets a bunch of people on fire, right? That's pretty based.

Corrin does the whole reclassing thing pretty much perfectly. I would still rather be able to choose his/her base class than have a unique class, but for a Lord-Avatar hybrid I understand the decision.

Based on this, my ideal Fire Emblem lord is a child soldier and impenitent war criminal with a steady girlfriend, who also delegates work to his more experienced subordinates and values input they provide. You get to pick his starting class, and perhaps his reclass as well.

Eirika, Ephraim, and Ike are pretty inoffensive, I like them fine, but nothing about them really sticks out as a trait which impressed me.

I didn't mention Chrom or any Three Houses characters because I don't actually like anything about any of them.

Eliwood: how he deals with the deaths of those close to him

Lyn: how her being from a different culture effects her worldview

Hector: his boisturus personality and that he uses axes

Lucina: her strong drive and her dorky moments

Alm: being left handed

Celica: her cheeky side

Edelgard: how proactive she is and that she is a playable Emperor

Claude: his foreign background, using bows and riding a wyvern in his later classes

Sadly nothing special to say about Dimitri, Chrom or the Renais twins.

As for my ideal Lord:

For a male commoner, I would like to see a veteran soldier in his early 40s with a wife and kids. Due to his close ties with the royal family, he can get away with saying stuff that would get anyone else a prison sentence. While he cares deeply for his family and fellow troops, he cares little about the war going on. At least untill he starts to see the negative impact war has on people, regardless of their country or social standing.

For a male royal, I would like to see a mage who, while not as strong as his father or siblings, is very clever, tactical and politically savy. My ideal scenario would be him becoming King and being forced to face the challenges that comes with ruling a country.

For a female commoner, a swordfighter like Ayra would be cool. Tough and fierce, but has a small soft spot for children. Maybe a foreign background to explain her distrust of other initially, which would lessen as she grows closer to her allies.

For a female noble, a axe or lance wielding princess who is a lot like Hector, a boisturus bruser who loves to fight, is good at it and is charismatic. While suprisingly tactical, politics are her main weakness.

Marth: I want to say his characterization in Shadow Dragon but that's strictly speaking not canon. All other games ignore that version and show the gentler Marth he was originally. Even the direct sequel pretended the rougher Shadow Dragon Marth never happened. I guess I like Marth's relation with his loved ones. He's Tiki's big sister/dad and with Caeda they're both obviously a happy couple but Caeda not allowing him to treat her as anything less then an equal and him (eventually) accepting it.
Kris: He may be the worst avatar, but he's the greatest thief in the series. 
Alm: The boy is very endearingly dorky. Alm is very expressive whether its by making bad puns, blushing at a pretty lady and generally being a very nice, funny lad. Alm's often a joy to have on screen who helps elevate somewhat clumsy writing just by being present. 
Celica: She's got a great design. Very regal and classy with a teensy bit of fanservice on the side. 
Sigurd: He's got an epic chin
Seliph: He's got epic hair. 
Roy: He's brains over brawns and its a really nice touch that his stats reflect this
Eliwood: On some level Eliwood is kinda bland compared to his more expressive friends but he really is the ideal knight. Very kind, chivalrous and benevolent. 
Lyn: Her legs....um I mean her more exotic design. Most of fire Emblem is conventionally medieval so its really nice to find a Mongolian girl running around. Lyn's aesthetically distinct from almost every other character. 
Hector: There's a disconnect between what Hector and everyone else thinks he is, and what he actually is. Despite often putting himself down as a fool and being described as one he often comes across as more in the know than his peers, and if anyone is doing the explaining its typically Hector. 
Eirika: She's very kind. Not terrible interesting but a girl that's very easy to root for
Ephraim: He's got a very interesting battle sprite. 
Ike: The game doesn't always notices it but often when Ike comes off as a jerk its intentional. At the time it was rare to get a lord who's rude, combative and not really respectful to people he doesn't like. Hector was a bit like that but he often got put down for that behavior and it rarely had much consequence. Ike on the other hand is the boss so there's no one saying to cut it off, aside when its really serious in which case his friends drag him to the corner to calmly explain his actions have consequence. Ike's rude behavior also makes for some amusing battle conversations
Micaiah: Michy is very well defined as the anti Ike. They couldn't have created a better foil for Ike if they tried. Ike is rough around the edges but tries to be open minded and kind while Micaiah is outwardly prim, proper and very kind but deep down she can be very sassy, closed minded and aggressive when pressed. Ike's the sword wielding brawns over brains lord, Micaiah the magic casting brains over brawns. Ike is rugged and strong, Micaiah's very frail mentally and physically. Ike tries to avoid leadership positions and while Michy has the same inclination she stays a leader because she feels that she must.
Chrom: I'd say Chrom's struggle about the pressure of succeeding his sister and being Exhalt is decently interesting. 
Robin: He's by far the best implemented Avatar. Robin does have his own personally so he can hold conversations without it being dreadfully boring, but his personality is so low key and mellow that its more easy to imprint yourself on him. He avoids the pitfalls of the others in that unlike Byleth he's not a complete bore and unlike Corrin he doesn't have such a strongly defined personality that he can't function as an avatar. 
Corrin: Whatever their flaws might be Corrin is really endearing. Kind, dorky, sensitive, helpless and a giant bleeding hard. However problematic the siblings worship of Corrin's becomes its at least very easy to see why they're all very devoted to, and protective of Corrin.
Byleth: If you want you can roleplay him as having an obsession with ghosts, and I find that very funny. 
Edelgard: They had the balls to turn the cute waifu lord into a cold and very independent minded antagonist. 
Dimitri: Lords fall into two categories. You got Marths and you got Hectors. Dimitri's a Hector pretending to be a Marth and that's rather interesting. 
Claude: Its a shame the writers were a bit overly cautious about showing his more shady side but Claude is very charming. Like Alm he's very pleasant to have on scream. Friendly, sassy and not afraid to break Fodlan conventions. Even if the game doesn't always make Claude interesting the way he talks with people usually is. ''Oooh my ancestors were cursed and now I'm cursed too!'' 

7 hours ago, Metal Flash said:

Alm: being left handed

I fully agree with both of these. It was nice to see a left-handed protagonist after Link turned traitor, and Edelgard being a playable emperor was definitely part of her appeal.

22 hours ago, Metal Flash said:

The class or the story related stuff?

Hm, do we ever get to see Emperor Edelgard in a political fashion beyond declaring war?

......is Edelgard just 5ft2in Walhart? All red, Axe as weapon, being an Emperor?

1 hour ago, Imuabicus said:

Hm, do we ever get to see Emperor Edelgard in a political fashion beyond declaring war?

......is Edelgard just 5ft2in Walhart? All red, Axe as weapon, being an Emperor?

She's missing the horse.

21 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

Both. I like that we have a playable Emperor, and that she is actually the ruler of an Empire. I would certainly like to see another emperor be playable, even if they are not the Lord.

Well, aside from her being a woman, they are indeed quite similar.

11 minutes ago, Metal Flash said:

Both. I like that we have a playable Emperor, and that she is actually the ruler of an Empire. I would certainly like to see another emperor be playable, even if they are not the Lord.

Well, aside from her being a woman, they are indeed quite similar.

Well Edelgard wasn't even the first to do that, Sanaki was. She's an Empress in terms of plot and has the Empress class. And if using a gender suffix is considered voiding her for some strange reason, I'd say that Sanaki's original Japanese name was gender neutral, being Ceaser (in fact, I think it might even be Edelgard's one that suggests gender in the Japanese, though I'm not sure). In fact, in Japanese, there is no recurring Emperor class. They've all been different things.

Hardin is Koutei

Alvis is Enpera

Sanaki is Kaesaru, officially romanized as Ceaser

Edelgard is Kaizerin

The wikis should probably merge the Emperor and Empress classes together as there's really no difference between them in Japanese. Or rather there's no similarites between any of them other than that Emperor is an appropriate English translation for all of them. Though I guess conceptually Sanaki being an infantry magic class is more distinct when the others are all armoured classes, but they're also three armoured classes that specialize in three completely different weapon types.

Edited by Jotari

18 hours ago, Jotari said:

Well Edelgard wasn't even the first to do that, Sanaki was. She's an Empress in terms of plot and has the Empress class. And if using a gender suffix is considered voiding her for some strange reason, I'd say that Sanaki's original Japanese name was gender neutral, being Ceaser (in fact, I think it might even be Edelgard's one that suggests gender in the Japanese, though I'm not sure). In fact, in Japanese, there is no recurring Emperor class. They've all been different things.

Hardin is Koutei

Alvis is Enpera

Sanaki is Kaesaru, officially romanized as Ceaser

Edelgard is Kaizerin

The wikis should probably merge the Emperor and Empress classes together as there's really no difference between them in Japanese. Or rather there's no similarites between any of them other than that Emperor is an appropriate English translation for all of them. Though I guess conceptually Sanaki being an infantry magic class is more distinct when the others are all armoured classes, but they're also three armoured classes that specialize in three completely different weapon types.

Right, I forget Sanaki is also an Empress. Must have slipped my mind.

I was not aware that all their classes had different names in Japan.

6 hours ago, Metal Flash said:

Right, I forget Sanaki is also an Empress. Must have slipped my mind.

I was not aware that all their classes had different names in Japan.

And by a quirk of fate, only Edelgard and Sanaki have actually received offical English translations, due both appearance of Dark Emperor Hardin being Japanese only and likewise for Alvis. Though Alvis's Emperor class is literally just the English word for Emperor spelled out using Katakana, so if Genealogy ever does get remade it'd be highly unlikely that Alvis's class won't be emperor. Still, they might get creative with it. Another funny thing is that none of these class names are the term used to actually refer to the Emperor of Japan, which is Ten'no. Hardin's class is the word used for non Japanese Emperors, and as noted before, Alvis's name is based off the English word and Sanaki and Edelgard's are based off the classical Roman term Ceaser. I wonder if there had been an Emperor of Hoshido character in Fates would they have went with Ten'no or would that have been deemed improper a term to use.