Name one thing you liked/loved about every lord or player character in each game you played, and create your perfect Lord.

henrymidfields

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

And by a quirk of fate, only Edelgard and Sanaki have actually received offical English translations, due both appearance of Dark Emperor Hardin being Japanese only and likewise for Alvis. Though Alvis's Emperor class is literally just the English word for Emperor spelled out using Katakana, so if Genealogy ever does get remade it'd be highly unlikely that Alvis's class won't be emperor. Still, they might get creative with it. Another funny thing is that none of these class names are the term used to actually refer to the Emperor of Japan, which is Ten'no. Hardin's class is the word used for non Japanese Emperors, and as noted before, Alvis's name is based off the English word and Sanaki and Edelgard's are based off the classical Roman term Ceaser. I wonder if there had been an Emperor of Hoshido character in Fates would they have went with Ten'no or would that have been deemed improper a term to use.

Something tells me it would`ve been deemed improper. .

On 9/25/2021 at 7:10 PM, Jotari said:

Well Edelgard wasn't even the first to do that, Sanaki was. She's an Empress in terms of plot and has the Empress class. And if using a gender suffix is considered voiding her for some strange reason, I'd say that Sanaki's original Japanese name was gender neutral, being Ceaser (in fact, I think it might even be Edelgard's one that suggests gender in the Japanese, though I'm not sure). In fact, in Japanese, there is no recurring Emperor class. They've all been different things.

Hardin is Koutei

Alvis is Enpera

Sanaki is Kaesaru, officially romanized as Ceaser

Edelgard is Kaizerin

The wikis should probably merge the Emperor and Empress classes together as there's really no difference between them in Japanese. Or rather there's no similarites between any of them other than that Emperor is an appropriate English translation for all of them. Though I guess conceptually Sanaki being an infantry magic class is more distinct when the others are all armoured classes, but they're also three armoured classes that specialize in three completely different weapon types.

I've just taken a glance at the names of these different classes again. It seems Radiant Dawn uses both Kanji and katakana for its class names, and Sanaki's Kanji is the same as Hardin's. So Sanaki and Hardin both share the same class in Japanese, but Radiant Dawn classes essentially have two names.And just for good measure, Zelguis and Ashnard do both share the same class name, only just like in English, Ashnard's King class name mentions the country he's king of while Zelgius is just a vanilla king. But like in English they are using the same term to refer to both of them.

Edited by Jotari

Eirika and Ephraim: I like that they're twins. I think that it's my favourite approach to multiple Lords in a game that Fire Emblem has ever done. I like how it really feels like their story, rather than being two different stories for two different characters that got messily smooshed together. I also like that they somewhat mirror each other in terms of gameplay, for instance by both getting a horse when they promote.

Ike: I like that he's a commoner. He's not a prince, or a Lord (except when he briefly is) or the lost descendant of a royal line; he's not secretly a god or a dragon; he's not a chosen one. He's just a guy. His achievements feel earned.

Micaiah: A light mage was such a cool class choice for a main character. Is she the only main character in the whole series who exclusively uses magic and can't use physical weapons at all? I think she is, but I might be forgetting someone. It's a cool choice either way and makes her really stand out.

Elincia (yeah, I'm including her because I love her): I like that she's always looking for non-violent solutions but without falling into the trap of being a naive idiot.

Marth: I like his legend, both in and out-of universe. The way Nintendo and IS treat him and the way that characters in Awakening treat him makes him seem like way more of a big deal than just "the main character in the first game in the series".

Chrom: I like his "power of friendship" schtick. Sure, it's cheesy, but it's a trope that I enjoy.

Lucina: This is a bit of a weird one, but I like how she's a soft tutorial for how the child mechanic works. It's one of the central mechanics of Awakening, and Lucina's existence really ties into it and explains it to the player far better than a bunch of tutorial text boxes ever could.

Robin: I like that they actually work decently as a hybrid unit, which is something that FE has generally struggled to pull off.

Corrin: I like that the customisation options for female Corrin include hair accessories. The butterfly one especially is super cute.

Alm and Celica: I like their love story. It's very basic, but I found it charming. A character having a single canonical love interest integrated into the story is much more interesting to me than having a whole load of ambiguous potential love interests and the ability to choose one for a couple of lines of text in an epilogue.

Byleth: I like that their personal ability and the mastery skill from their personal class are both about buffing other characters rather than being individually overpowered.

Claude: Flying and bows on my Lord? Why yes please, I don't mind if I do.

Dimitri: I like his character arc where he struggles with but eventually starts to overcome his inner darkness.

Edelgard: I like that she's a canonically bisexual female main character.

Based on all of this, I apparently want two lords who are commoner twin sisters. One of them should be non-violent, but not to the point of naiveté, while the other should have an inner darkness that she overcomes with the power of friendship. One of them will be a pure magic user, while the other will be a hybrid class who uses bows. Their promotions will mirror each other. Let's say that the non-violent one starts out as an infantry staff wielder but gets light tomes and a pegasus upon promotion, whereas the inner darkness one starts out as an infantry bow class but gets dark tomes and a wyvern on promotion. One (Ms Non-Violence) will have unique abilities that are about buffing allies; the other (Ms. Inner Darkness) will have unique abilities that are strongly tied to their game's unique mechanic. Both of them will be canonically bisexual, and their respective love stories (NOT with each other; I see you there Fire Emblem, don't pretend you weren't thinking about it but you can stop thinking it right now) will each have a single canonical outcome. After the game, they will be treated as a big deal in any sequels. Also, they will have cute hair accessories.

Huh. Yeah. That actually sounds pretty good to me. I did not expect that throwing together all the different attributes I like from completely different Lords would work that well.

14 minutes ago, lenticular said:

Micaiah: A light mage was such a cool class choice for a main character. Is she the only main character in the whole series who exclusively uses magic and can't use physical weapons at all? I think she is, but I might be forgetting someone. It's a cool choice either way and makes her really stand out.

Micaiah can use a physical weapon.

She is however the only real lord with her own legendary weapon. She has Thani, that's basically just a rapier. The only other lords in this category is sort of Lord Robin and Leif, who has a plot relevant weapon he can use, but one that's not exclusive to him (four characters can use it, though logically it should be six).

19 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Micaiah can use a physical weapon.

A staff is still a magical weapon. Or a magical non-weapon. Just because she's using it as if it were a physical weapon doesn't change the fundamental essence of its being. That's pretty cool, though. I didn't realise until looking it up just now that Matrona had such a ridiculous crit rate.

21 minutes ago, Jotari said:

She is however the only real lord with her own legendary weapon. She has Thani, that's basically just a rapier. The only other lords in this category is sort of Lord Robin and Leif, who has a plot relevant weapon he can use, but one that's not exclusive to him (four characters can use it, though logically it should be six).

Depending on definitions, there's also the Three Houses house leaders, who also get their own plot-relevant weapons but aren't the only ones who can use them. Especially Claude, since you can get his weapon without him.

5 minutes ago, lenticular said:

A staff is still a magical weapon. Or a magical non-weapon. Just because she's using it as if it were a physical weapon doesn't change the fundamental essence of its being. That's pretty cool, though. I didn't realise until looking it up just now that Matrona had such a ridiculous crit rate.

She physically smacks people in the face with it though.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/4/2021 at 12:55 AM, lenticular said:

Based on all of this, I apparently want two lords who are commoner twin sisters. One of them should be non-violent, but not to the point of naiveté, while the other should have an inner darkness that she overcomes with the power of friendship. One of them will be a pure magic user, while the other will be a hybrid class who uses bows. Their promotions will mirror each other. Let's say that the non-violent one starts out as an infantry staff wielder but gets light tomes and a pegasus upon promotion, whereas the inner darkness one starts out as an infantry bow class but gets dark tomes and a wyvern on promotion. One (Ms Non-Violence) will have unique abilities that are about buffing allies; the other (Ms. Inner Darkness) will have unique abilities that are strongly tied to their game's unique mechanic. Both of them will be canonically bisexual, and their respective love stories (NOT with each other; I see you there Fire Emblem, don't pretend you weren't thinking about it but you can stop thinking it right now) will each have a single canonical outcome. After the game, they will be treated as a big deal in any sequels. Also, they will have cute hair accessories.

Huh. Yeah. That actually sounds pretty good to me. I did not expect that throwing together all the different attributes I like from completely different Lords would work that well.

Oooooh that would be cool. I'd happily play an FE entry with this.