Sakura Wars 2019 - can I start from there?

henrymidfields

So I'd like to start playing Sakura Wars 2019. I had some interest in playing some of the games, which is not the least due to the alternate timeline here being one of the few cases where Japan doesn't become the hot mess of a militarist dictatorship in the same year as real-life Japan did, but seemed to have managed to keep retaining the Taisho Democracy.

But am I going to miss a lot if I don't have any knowledge of the prequels? I can't really guarrantee myself the time or the chances to play the original games, so I'd like to hear past players if I'm going to miss some cruicial nuances and emotion that comes with playing past entries. 

5 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

I don't have an answer for you but unless you're willing to break out an emulator and fantranslated patches, you won't have much choice lol. 

Is everything else literally on consoles and handhelds pre-3DS/Wii U/PS4???

1 hour ago, henrymidfields said:

Is everything else literally on consoles and handhelds pre-3DS/Wii U/PS4???

Besides this new game, the newest Sakura wars came out on PS2 in 2005 and had a Wii port. So yeah the series is pretty vintage. Only the superfans seek out original copies of the games and they can't be cheap. Plus they're almost entirely in Japanese so that's a big barrier for entry too.

It'd be nice if those games finally released in the west - they're pretty important milestones for Sega. But I wouldn't hold out hope. Most Sega games that got recent remasters (Shenmue, Panzer Dragoon) only did so because a third party approached them and offered to do all the work. 

26 minutes ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Besides this new game, the newest Sakura wars came out on PS2 in 2005 and had a Wii port. So yeah the series is pretty vintage. Only the superfans seek out original copies of the games and they can't be cheap. Plus they're almost entirely in Japanese so that's a big barrier for entry too.

It'd be nice if those games finally released in the west - they're pretty important milestones for Sega. But I wouldn't hold out hope. Most Sega games that got recent remasters (Shenmue, Panzer Dragoon) only did so because a third party approached them and offered to do all the work. 

Fair enough. I do hope that at least one or two gets the same remake treatment. Japanese isn't a problem, though - I'm a native speaker. I've listened to Three Houses in Japanese (though its an Australian localization), so it's actually good to pick up on some of the mistranslations I otherwise overlook.