Your ideas on remakes in general?

henrymidfields

So rumors are abound on remakes sinces Shadows of Valentia. I'd like to hear your ideas on how you like past games to be remade.

Jugdral Remakes - My previous post here would give a good idea of how I'd like the remake to be excecuted.

Spoiler

I don't want something too faithful, because then what is the point of a Switch remake? You might as well just ask Nintendo to have it released on the VC with the necessary English, French, and Spanish localizations. I mean, I'm mot interested in playing Link's Awakening on the Switch because it's too similar to the original to justify a price tag of approx $60. I've already played that on the GameBoy years ago, and even if I didn't, there's the VC for that which is $5.

I do want some acknowledgement of the unique mechanics, now that I know better about the some of the design decisions and basic narrative behind the game. I now know that GoHW looks at military operations from a more macro scale than most other FE games. What each unit represents in GoHW is essentially what your entire party looks like in most other FE entries. I also now know that batallions/regiments (?) historically had to look after their own equipment, and win their own loot, so I'd like the individualized inventory to stay, but with a couple of modifications for the sake of logic or improving QoL. I'd like purchasing items off each other directly be an option under certain conditions (maybe units from the same faction, or those that have support levels). Married couples should be able to trade freely, as a bonus to further push the whole marriage point for GoHW. Also for what I believe is for obvious reasons, existing family members (parent-child or brother-sister) that are in the player's army should also at least be afforded an option for discounts purchases, unless there's a good in-story reason not to.

Also, did I hear that vulneraries don't exist in GoHW? How much of a problem would it be if we add them (as either purchasables or standard army rations)? How much does the lack of vulneraries in the original contribute to an unwinnable situation?

Batallions should be added in GoHW, as the units in the original game were already implied to be representations of them. Not sure how the rebalances should be taken, however.

As for the story, we might as well add on to the script that is already complete, and add more conversations for the non-Lord characters to further elaborate the characters and the world. Three Houses was good in giving more weight to non-Lord playable units. Not only were there paralogues for the different units, but there were, in general, more appearances and lines for them, and gave a more apparent notion that, the class/team you stuck with actually acts as a team. Paralogues might not be an feasible option for this hypothetical remake (though maybe character-specific sidequests may be), but the increased appearances of non-Lord units should be to both give the feel of an actual history instead of a "insultingly reductive and so slavishly rote" Great Man Theory approach (courtesy of Overly Sarcastic Productions) of FE's story all too often done with most past entries. Related to the previous, Sigurd's personality and flaws should stay intact as is, instead of what happened to Alm in Shadows of Valentia remake. If anything, I wouldn't mind if they rammed his flaws in diplomacy harder than the original.

Binding Blade:

Spoiler

Roy being a tactical Lord should be emphasized as an actual gameplay mechanic. In fact, I wouldn't mind borrowing adopting the skill system from Fates, and give extra class-based skills to Roy so that he has actual utility independent of his stats. Apart from the rebalance in stats, I wouldn't mind if the gameplay design is based more like Fates with the difficulty stemming more on the enhanced enemy AI from Fates and more enemies using better weapons. Some form of battle support and buffs/nerfs should also be adopted, so that on one hand, Sophia has an actual chance to fight against higher-levelled enemies, while powerhouses like Milady and Rutger needs to be deployed more strategically, at least in higher difficulties.

Add to that, I think they should also show more of Zephyr's side of the story. I'm really impressed that Zephy managed to conquer over half of Elibe without relying as much on the supernatural stuff as he did towards his industrial-military complex. This makes me want to know more what makes Zephy's brain tick-tocks, see how big and impressive is Bern's military in all its glory, and maybe even how the country, society, and people sustains the military. I for one wouldn't mind seeing maybe a portrayal of Adrestia 2.0 where the society is militaristic, but otherwise egalitarian. also would have liked to see the relationship between Zephy and his people as opposed to Desmond.

As for Idenn, I know some people are not too happy with how easy Idenn's fight is. To be honest, I don't mind as much. The lack of difficulty feels very intentional with Idenn being portrayed as a pathetic pawn. Either make this arc as a glorified denouement with the real focus being on Chapter 22, or maybe the difficulty should be on some other aspect of the Endgame Chapter.

Tellius Duology:

Spoiler

Now I haven't had a proper chance to play the games, but relied more with wikidata and the like, so take this with a grain of salt.

I always wonder why they just brought Ike in without any sort of character development to make up for usurping Micaiah. I felt this was a missed opportunity to further shake up the narrative of FE, and also feels disingenuous on the devs when they clearly went through a lot of work on other fronts.

Ideally, also show Micaiah more screentime, and address the fake billing which increasingly tuned me off after playing Crimson Flower and seeing Edie all in her glory. Part 4 should totally be rewritten for that, and the ending should maybe be something where other key characters can deliver the attack against the final boss. And definitely re-portray the ending as a story not just for Ike, but as one for everyone involved (or at least Micaiah, Elincia, and Sanaki).

If the above is really not possible without fundamentally changing the story, then Ike should definitely go through another set of character development. Make it more where he clearly now has to deal with corrupt senators from Begnion, and ended up having to do a lot stuff that he opposed in principle. Show him, Elincia, and Sanaki interacting with the Senators, and them grumbling behind their backs. And show that Ike got really tired of all of the senators treating the Greil Mercs like dirt, manipulating them for their own ends, and walking all over their homeland and their people. Show how he gets jaded, both with his own actions three years ago, and the fact that he could not stop the atrocities and oppressions that people he thought were on the same side committed. If this was already shown in some capacity, then make it more obvious that Ike's struggling with that, even before Crimea gets invaded by Begnion.

Finally, properly instated dialogues that are in the original Japanese version, but was for some reason cut from the localisation.

And maybe some rebalances necessary to put everyone on a more equal footing in gameplay tiers.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In general:

Voice acting!

All of the reaction dialogue from Echoes, for when a friendly unit is near death, dies or gets a kill.

For Marth Remakes if we get them (Since I hear the DS ones were a bit half-assed):

Re-add Bowguns to both the original and Mystery.

FE6:

Re-balance the game.

Add Mines and Light Runes from FE7.

Have Cameos from FE7 characters.

If we get remasters/re-releases of the 3DS games, please don't make us pay for the DLC again.

Edited by Samz707

16 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

For Marth Remakes if we get them (Since I hear the DS ones were a bit half-assed):

If I remember correctly, shadow dragon was more a case of being too faithful, aside from some minor gameplay rebalances. (2-hit RNG, Caeda and her Wing Spear, reclassing)

4 minutes ago, henrymidfields said:

If I remember correctly, shadow dragon was more a case of being too faithful, aside from some minor gameplay rebalances. (2-hit RNG, Caeda and her Wing Spear, reclassing)

Yeah but I hear that's part of why it was considered lazy by some.

Echoes expanded on the plot and even tried (even thought it really shouldn't IMO) to tie-in Awakening.

While Marth's remakes basically do very little expansion from what I hear. (Down to not actually changing bits of the first game to account for stuff retconned by the second game from what I hear.)

3 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

with the necessary English, French, and Spanish localizations.

ouch, that hurt...

anyway, as i think i said countless times by now, i like FE remakes better when they are as faithful to the original games as possible, what i want from them is just improved graphics, voice acting, better characterization for secondary characters and some QoL changes

as for the Tellius duology, i don't want to see them being remade anytime soon, because IMO they don't need this treatment nearly as much as other games do: an HD remaster collection would work just fine for me

Edited by Yexin

For the Telluis duology, I don`t think full on remakes are needed as much as for earlier entries, like FE4 or 5.

Haven`t played FE6 so I have nothing to add there.

The primary thing I want an FE4 remake to do is include information from supplementary materials as part of the game. Infor on background characters, villain motvations, the whole shebang. There no reason for such info to be relegated to interviews and random articles from decades ago.

In the same vein I want more characters to be properly explored, much like how Echoes expanded on the Gaiden cast. Let non-main characters speak during important story events, expole the friendship between Sigurd, Quan and Eldigan, show us what the couples are like after they have formed, let the second gen characters not named Seliph talk during the story. The villains need this the most in my opinon.

Gameplay wise, I feel they should let lovers and thieves decide how much gold they give away if that feature is kept. Letting characters trade weapons between each other would also be nice. Making infantry not super inferior to mounted units would also be good.

For my opinion on video game remakes in general, I'm going to quote what I said in a thread about remakes:

My opinion on whether I prefer a 1:1 remake like Ocarina of Time 3D and Shadow Dragon, a more full-overhaul remake like Final Fantasy 7 Remake, or something in-between honestly depends on the particular game, so I don't really mind either approach too much. If I really had to break down what I think a remake needs, I suppose it would mainly be the following:

1. I think a remake should look like what the game devs would've made the original be if they had today's tech. For something like Ocarina of Time, the core game could be played today without too many indicators that the game was made in 1997, so a 1:1 remake fits quite a bit. For Final Fantasy 7, I don't know how the game has aged since I've never played it, but I could easily see them having made something along the lines of Final Fantasy 7 Remake in terms of world design & gameplay if you gave them today's hardware and knowledge.

2. I think a remake needs to understand what people liked about the original; a remake needs to remain faithful in some way to the things that made the original good. Majora's Mask 3D has proven divisive because a lot of its changes were appreciated by newcomers but were criticized by a number of fans for essentially breaking a lot of what made the game unique, and those detractors of the remake often cite how a lot of the development team was made up of people who didn't like Majora's Mask and that the remake was reluctantly spearheaded by Eiji Aonuma, who famously suffered a breakdown during the game's rushed development and looks back on the game with dread, and they often cite how, in preparation for the remake, he went back and played the original, but in the mindset of looking for things he regretted implementing and making a list of things that he felt needed to be changed, rather than looking at what actually worked about the game. Basically, a lot of them say that Aonuma was the wrong person to spearhead the remake's development because he didn't understand what made the game good in the eyes of its fans.

Interestingly, both a 1:1 remake and a full-overhaul remake are equally capable of doing this in their own ways. However, there's increased risk in the case of a full-overhaul remake because the more you change, the more you risk throwing something good in the garbage. With Ocarina of Time 3D, the dev team's main goal was "don't mess this up", to the extent that they even went out of their way to preserve all glitches that weren't game-breaking or didn't result in permanently missing out on content simply because they knew part of the fanbase enjoyed stuff like the Jabu-Jabu in the Adult Timeline Glitch; they wanted to translate the game from the N64 to the 3DS without losing any components of the game's appeal. For Final Fantasy 7 Remake, one thing I see from a lot of fans is that the new world design, gameplay, presentation, etc. are all very faithful to what was appealing about the original game, with their main criticisms being certain plot elements; namely the plot-time-ghost things that change the game from an actual remake into more of a misleading stealth-sequel that no one really asked for.

The area where I think this gets very interesting in terms of context is the parts where remakes can't really be faithful to one of the appealing things: namely important plot twists that have become so heavily associated with the game that everyone knows about them because of pop-cultural osmosis (what TV Tropes calls "It Was His Sled" twists, though I prefer to call them, "No, I am your father" twists). With Ocarina of Time, the twist everyone knows is that Sheik is actually Zelda. Since the remake was a 1:1 remake, they kept the script and everything intact, but they did make the twist more obvious in subtle ways: for instance, if you look at Ocarina of Time's official artwork, it shows Sheik having a wider frame than Zelda and an overall more masculine design in general, and, despite the remake bring every other character model closer to the official artwork, it dropped this aspect of Sheik's design to make it more obvious that Sheik is Zelda. With Final Fantasy 7 Remake, only two of the original game's main twists have become this famous: Sephiroth is the main villain, and Aerith dies. For both those twists, the game pretty much acts as if the player knows them already. But, almost as if to compensate, the game places an increased emphasis on the twists that aren't so famous.

3. Perhaps most importantly, a remake should have a clear direction about what kind of remake it wants to be. One thing I always appreciated about Shadow Dragon was that it wore on its sleeve that it was a 1:1 remake with a deliberately retro aesthetic and everything, and up until the stuff with the plot ghosts, I appreciated Final Fantasy 7 Remake for being both unmistakably a new game and unmistakably FF7 (in my case, because I was a complete newcomer to the series and I was hoping that a remake of the most famous game in the series would be a perfect starting point). Whatever you may think of either approach; when done with a clear direction, the whole is often more than the sum of its parts. One thing that I really do not like is a remake with an uncertain direction or no direction, as the lack of clear idea of what to change and what not to change makes it that each component of the remake makes all the other components worse (i.e. the whole is less than the sum of its parts).

I really wanted to like Shadows of Valentia, I ended up really disliking Shadows of Valentia, and the game's complete mismatch of what to preserve and what to modernize/update was the root of most of my problems with it. I have never played Gaiden, and I could feel what was altered and how it was altered and what was untouched while playing it because it was immensely jarring. They needed to choose: full overhaul, 1:1, or something in between. At first, the game seemed like something in between, but instead, it was all over the place. But I don't know; given how I see most people who've played both say they prefer Shadows of Valentia over Shadow Dragon in terms of what they want with an FE remake, maybe I'm the only one who has a problem with its seeming uncertainty about what kind of remake it even wanted to be. Frankly, for Genealogy of the Holy War, I just hope that, however they choose to remake it, they at least choose something, and that we don't get a repeat of what I think is Shadow of Valentia's core problem.

…Sorry this was long; I guess I had a lot to say.

My opinion on the current FE remakes is that I honestly prefer Shadow Dragon over Shadows of Valentia. A lot of people dislike Shadow Dragon for being a 1:1 remake, but I like that IS at least had a clear idea of what they wanted to do with Shadow Dragon, whereas Shadows of Valentia is all over the place.

For Fire Emblem 4-through-8, I've never played them, so I can't really say much about what I want to see from remakes of them. As long as they're brought up to date without losing what made them unique and interesting and have a clear direction about what kind of remake they want to be, then that's good enough for me.

For Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, I honestly would want to see 1:1 remakes/remasters that mostly just fix what few things are wrong with those games. For Path of Radiance, such little things would include the following:

Spoiler

1. Remove that big annoying yellow triangle that hovers above the selected tile

2. Make Rolf and Mist just a bit higher levelled when recruited

3. Make it easier to figure out which tiles have pitfall traps in the bridge chapter

4. Have it that skills are no longer erased when they're removed from a person

5. Allow the player to save before the Black Knight fight

I also want Path of Radiance to use the NA Localization script, as that is easily the best version of the game's story and dialogue, and I want all the original artwork kept and for the character models to simply be upscaled and given extra detail.

Oooh boy, time for an unpopular opinion! Remakes in general are my least favorite game. Instead of trying to take a risk with a new idea they instead cash in on an idea that is already safe and familiar to the audience. It comes off as a lazy move. If I want to purchase a remake they actually have to innovate it in a new way. The other issue is that remake often keep all the original problems that the games had instead of fixing it, probably for sake of “ staying true to the originals. “ 

Bear in mind it doesn’t solely apply to Fire Emblem games. This also applies to other games from other franchises as well. Look at Pokémon FRLG for example. While it’s true that the games add the Sevii Islands to catch the missing Johto Pokémon from Pokémon  RS,  it has one critical flaw that really hurts the game if not outright ruins it- The player can only use the original 151 Pokémon until they have obtained the National Dex and have caught 60 Pokémon, and they cannot trade with RS at all until post game is completed. This means if you want to complete a National Dex in Gen 3 you have to 100% complete FRLG even if you really don’t want to. To add insult to injury, you have to watch Chansey and Golbat’s trying to evolve animation fail every time until you obtain the National Dex unless you give them an everstone. So much had Kanto had changed over the years, like the Pokémon gaining new evolutions as well as the new types introduced in GS. Kanto also has a really bad type distribution as a whole: Too many Poison, Flying, and Normal types exist, while Dragon, Ghost, Steel and Dark are far too rare. The Dratini line is your only option for a Dragon type in the entire game, allowing Kingdra would have allowed for another option. The same applies to Magnemite since it’s the only Steel type line in the entire game. Having Steelix and Scizor would have had more options. The worst apart about FRLG is that there are 0 Dark types in the game at all until the post game even though had an option in Umbreon. 

And when they had Let’s Go later on, they still did not have any cross evolutions introduced later on, even though Go was in Gen 4, which was when the majority were introduced.

I had similar issues with Echoes for “ staying true to the Originals “ for similar reasons. Atrocious Maps that are slow, and require tanking, cantors who summon enemies to make the process even slower, as well as simplified UI missing more the dynamic mechanisms like Pair Up, flexible class changes, and more than one inventory. And that’s not going into the mess of Echoes’s story, which has one character who solely exists to make another one look better despite already being a Mary Sue. 

Now, that’s not to say that I despise remakes as a whole, there are remakes I do like, look at HGSS for example. While I love HGSS to death, there are still critical flaws to it. They still didn’t fix the awful level curve from the original GS, especially of the Kanto Pokémon which are really low-leveled Pokémon Wyeth you get there. And while you could obtain some of the new evolutions introduced in Gen 4, the majority could only be obtained in the post game in the remake, though unlike FRLG, you could trade to obtain them should you really want them.  

Sorry if that sounded like a rant, but that’s my explanation for why I find remakes a subjectively lazy  move and tends to bank on the safe aspect of the fact that people know that it is something they enjoy. And why I don’t like them keeping certain flaws all for the point of “ staying true to the originals “. I’d much prefer a new FE title other than a remake.

Edited by ZeManaphy

2 hours ago, ZeManaphy said:

Oooh boy, time for an unpopular opinion! Remakes in general are my least favorite game. Instead of trying to take a risk with a new idea they instead cash in on an idea that is already safe and familiar to the audience. It comes off as a lazy move. If I want to purchase a remake they actually have to innovate it in a new way. The other issue is that remake often keep all the original problems that the games had instead of fixing it, probably for sake of “ staying true to the originals. “ 

Bear in mind it doesn’t solely apply to Fire Emblem games. This also applies to other games from other franchises as well. Look at Pokémon FRLG for example. While it’s true that the games add the Sevii Islands to catch the missing Johto Pokémon from Pokémon  RS,  it has one critical flaw that really hurts the game if not outright ruins it- The player can only use the original 151 Pokémon until they have obtained the National Dex and have caught 60 Pokémon, and they cannot trade with RS at all until post game is completed. This means if you want to complete a National Dex in Gen 3 you have to 100% complete FRLG even if you really don’t want to. To add insult to injury, you have to watch Chansey and Golbat’s trying to evolve animation fail every time until you obtain the National Dex unless you give them an everstone. So much had Kanto had changed over the years, like the Pokémon gaining new evolutions as well as the new types introduced in GS. Kanto also has a really bad type distribution as a whole: Too many Poison, Flying, and Normal types exist, while Dragon, Ghost, Steel and Dark are far too rare. The Dratini line is your only option for a Dragon type in the entire game, allowing Kingdra would have allowed for another option. The same applies to Magnemite since it’s the only Steel type line in the entire game. Having Steelix and Scizor would have had more options. The worst apart about FRLG is that there are 0 Dark types in the game at all until the post game even though had an option in Umbreon.

Yeah, including this, Gen 3 was quite a mess. It should have been at least updated to include Gen 2 evolutions.

Now, that’s not to say that I despise remakes as a whole, there are remakes I do like, look at HGSS for example. While I love HGSS to death, there are still critical flaws to it. They still didn’t fix the awful level curve from the original GS, especially of the Kanto Pokémon which are really low-leveled Pokémon Wyeth you get there. And while you could obtain some of the new evolutions introduced in Gen 4, the majority could only be obtained in the post game in the remake, though unlike FRLG, you could trade to obtain them should you really want them.  

I also loved GSC, and yet I do have to agree with them having the worst kind of growth curve. They could have at least have a stronger version of EXP Booster to make things less painful, aside from the Kanto Gyms being stronger. Either that, or make Rare Candies more easily available post-game so that you at least didn't have to spend hours grinding a new low-levelled Pokemon by the time you go around Kanto.

I had similar issues with Echoes for “ staying true to the Originals “ for similar reasons. Atrocious Maps that are slow, and require tanking, cantors who summon enemies to make the process even slower, as well as simplified UI missing more the dynamic mechanisms like Pair Up, flexible class changes, and more than one inventory. And that’s not going into the mess of Echoes’s story, which has one character who solely exists to make another one look better despite already being a Mary Sue. 

Sorry if that sounded like a rant, but that’s my explanation for why I find remakes a subjectively lazy  move and tends to bank on the safe aspect of the fact that people know that it is something they enjoy. And why I don’t like them keeping certain flaws all for the point of “ staying true to the originals “. I’d much prefer a new FE title other than a remake.

I'll have to ultimately disagree, as there are still a number of games which aren't readily available outside of emulations and which by now have even less QoLs. (Seriously, the Tellius games secondhand prices are just absurd.) I do understand your complaints, though, and I totally agree that IS seemed to have the worst of both worlds with the lacking gameplay and them really dropping the ball with Alm's characterization. They might as well just left it as a VC release. And as I previously mentioned, now that I've played Crimson Flower, the Ike-shilling, and the lack of any further character development to make up for the Micaiah-fake-billing in Radiant Dawn, becomes painfully obvious as well.

Edited by henrymidfields

1 hour ago, henrymidfields said:

I'll have to ultimately disagree, as there are still a number of games which aren't readily available outside of emulations and which by now have even less QoLs

You do have a point there. The first six games were never released internationally, which means there is an audience that never played them, meaning there is a reason to pick those up if you are not Japanese. In that case, if the next game had to be a remake, I wish for it to be a Japanese only title. 

I'm pretty neutral on IntSys' remakes, especially since I haven't experienced all of them to their fullest. FE 11 creeped me out with its art style and uncanny valley, so I never got far. I never played FE 12. SOV I did get pretty far in, but I got frustrated at some bosses, annoyed with the map designs, and didn't fully connect to the characters as much as I wanted; the full voice acted cast also threw me for a loop, as I wanted to rush through the game, but felt like I would miss stuff if I didn't hear every line.

I think the Pokemon remakes (Pre-BDSP) have been a great guideline on the ideal sequel. They keep the heart, soul, and spirit of the original, but aren't afraid of adding new areas, content, characters, or features. HGSS is the pinnacle to me, but I love LGFR and ORAS almost just as much. (ORAS was pretty easy though...) They also should keep the graphics that the modern games have pioneered. The best thing I've heard about remakes is that they take how fans imagine the game they played at the time was and made it something that is. They must be in line with what came before, both the original and the previous game in the series. 

All of that to say I'm not a fan of 1-to-1 remakes of games. I also have very controversial opinions about how I'd lake FE remakes to function, and what to add. 

FE 4 Remake (the most controversial, and copy-pasted from a different thread earlier this year):

Spoiler

Right now I'm not thinking about all of the replacement units, but at least half of them. After all, in the first gen there are seven available women and thirteen men, so we might as well balance out the gender ratio a bit while we have the chance to do so. There's also the fact that this could please players like me who love to recruit every available unit possible...which is why some of the narrative choices in Fates: Revelation still tick me off to no end. (And why I find the Karel/Harken choice annoying.) Because again, as cool as the idea for replacement characters was at the time, we're not longer in that time. We've had twelve games release since then, and twenty five years has passed. Casual fans care about shipping for fun and getting those happy endings far more than they might have back in FE4's original time. So here's the compromise. 

Ultimately, these women would live long enough past the first gen to have children so that players that paired neither these new units nor the original units up could still recruit their children. After that...I'm honestly not sure. It'd feel cheap adding them in as playable units in Gen 2, but it'd also feel cheap making them DLC characters. Maybe have them as NPCs around the main castle areas? That could work...

As to the classes of these women, that's more fan speculation and head-canons than anything else. But hey, we're all having fun here...or we should be having fun here, so might as well put it in: 

Spoiler

Jeanne & Tristan (Lachesis replacements) - I'll ramp up the controversy and gender-swap Eve. Make her one of Lachesis' best friends and her guard, who decides to journey with her liege despite the danger. Their relationship would be similar to Sakura and Hana's relationship, or Elise and Effie. Eve's brothers would remain as men, if only to provide some fun supports. I can easily imagine Eve's support chain involving her enjoying the freedom from her brothers at first, given that since they're triplets, they're all lumped together, to ultimately realizing that she misses her brothers and feels like a part of her soul is gone because they're not there. (Another support could have Eve realize something similar - we start with her being popular with the some of the men in the army because she always brings extra food and knows how to be "one of the guys," but ultimately Eve reveals that she brings extra food because her impulse is to bring food to her brothers sometimes.*) Tragically, she never reunites with them. Eve would stay as a Paladin, but probably work like Felicia and Camilla in terms of pre-promotes.  

Daisy & Asaello (Brigid replacements) - No real ideas spring to mind, other than the fact that their mother is a Wyvern Rider/Dracoknight. As far as I can tell, Sigurd's generation doesn't have a character for this class, so giving us one is an easy fix. Daisy and Asaello don't have any real family ties, so putting them here feels nice. And while it stinks that no real weapons can be passed down, maybe if their father was Alec or Noish, they could do something about it...? Although in my head, their father was Jamke, and the two go through a sort of "rags to riches" storyline...

Hermina & Hawk (Erinys' replacements) - Probably a Dark Mage. This one is easily one of the hardest mothers, as there really isn't Dark Magic available for the players in FE4, and I'm not sure how I'd feel about retcons allowing that. In my head, this woman would be an acrophobic mage who actually desires to join the Loptyr cult. Since the cult is all but gone in name, and she's willing to fight for Sigurd and his allies, they let it slide. This is ultimately deconstructed as it turns out she has been keeping notes on the party...not that it does her any good. While she may beg for her life at Belhalla, no one will save her, since the Loptyr cult considers her too corrupted by Sigurd and his allies to trust. Ultimately, this character would be a deconstruction of Tharja and the whole Yandare-ally archetype.

A potentially even darker route would have her be the mother of Laylea and Charlot (Silvia's replacements), and is obsessed with Sigurd (not unlike the obsessions Tharja, Camilla, and Faye have). The loss of her husband and her unrequited love at Belhalla would drive her to the darkest of arts in the form of Necromancy, and she would ultimately end up trying to imbue her unborn child with Sigurd's Holy Blood. This would be left utterly ambiguous if it succeeded or not.* ...yeah, that's probably too dark...or maybe it's an appropriate level of darkness, considering how grim this game can be at times...

Lastly, an Isaachian commoner. Having a commoner is a - heh - common trope in FE now. Kris and co were commoners I believe; and since then we've had Donnel, Mozu, Faye, and Cyril. Adding a commoner here isn't too impossible. What I can't figure out is if she'd be the mother of Muirne & Deimne (Edain) or Creidne & Dalvin (Ayra). All four come from Isaach, are allies with Seliph at the beginning of his journey, and are characters I want in the game. The problem is that Muirne & Deimne are supposed to be commoners who grew up with Seliph. Giving players the chance to pair their mother up with a noble sort of ruins that aspect. Ultimately, the best choice may be to have this villager be the mother of Creidne & Dalvin. 

This mother's recruitment would be reminiscent of Donnel & Mozu's recruitment. She'd start out as a green unit with other villagers, and you'd have to scramble to save her. From there, players would need to get her to a certain level (or maybe save a set amount of buildings) before she'd be convinced to join your party for good. Or just talk to her with Ayra. To recruit Creidne & Dalvin, I think it'd be fun to sort of pay respects to the Oosawa manga. Have both of them be mentioned as former allies of Seliph. Creidne is later fought as an enemy in an optional castle, but to fight him, players would have to take out another group of enemies on a different part of the map, rescue Creidne, heal her, and then bring her over to her brother. To many this may not be worth the effort, but I think it'd be an interesting thing to do. But only once, and only if Ayra has children. If Ayra doesn't have children, then Creidne & Dalvin would work as they originally did.

*Which admittedly sounds pretty sexist, but in my head they'd do the same for her as well. They'd bring her food and water, make sure she's doing alright, and overall be hilariously awesome.

*Although I low-key love the idea of her child being a genetic chimera. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_(genetics)

So...yeah. To me the above is pretty much the best of all worlds since it kills nearly three birds with one stone. We've fixed most of the gender ratio, added some fun new characters that may help spice things up for veteran players, and turned mutually exclusive characters into inclusive ones. 

(Done Copy-Pasting)

All of that isn't even mentioning a potential Avatar, which I have no problem with. 

Since then, I've decided to have the mother units not be killed, but turned into NPCs and retreat if they fall in battle. So the Replacement Characters will be in the game even if the mothers fall, they probably just won't be as strong. These mothers also aren't necessary to recruit, but can be useful they are. U

The biggest drawbacks I've seen mentioned:

1. Several of Replacement Characters are commoners, so allowing them to marry nobles would ruin their characterization.

2. This would mess up the game balance of a remake.

3. This would allow for too many characters on a single playthrough; you wouldn't be able to deploy your whole cast. And too many supports.

4. This isn't necessary

My Rebuttals

1. Then just limit who they can marry. IntSys isn't afraid of doing this - just look at Echoes' pairings, or Sumia's husband options, or how limited the Ashen Wolves supports were. Or - and hear me out here - you don't worry about that and change their characterization going forward. IntSys has done that also with several characters in Echoes having a different personality from their original game, if they were featured in the original game at all. Echoes introduced fan favorites Berkut and Rinea, changed Nuibaba to - or rather, confirmed Nuibaba as - a woman, and did other things as well. Why can't Genealogy do the same?

2. The game balance is already going to be retooled due to how different Fire Emblem is a franchise now compared to what it was 25 years ago. Just factor the new characters and the replacement characters into the new balance and you'll be fine. 

3. Other FE games have had far more available, like Radiant Dawn and Revelation. In terms of deployment, that would be true, but I don't see it as a problem. Outside of FE 4 and occasional final missions, players have NEVER been able to deploy their entire cast. Just make 24/25 units the cap on the field at the time. The Disgaea franchise also shows us how this could work in a Genealogy remake. In Disgaea games, you can only deploy so many units per map. However, you CAN have units go back in your roster through your little portal at your starting point on the field, and replace them with a different unit. Why not have the same here? You keep units you aren't using at (explorable) castles, where they can rest or grind at arenas, and then you can trade them out for units on the field when need be. The only problem is that units wouldn't be able to travel from one castle to another easily. I can see that being overcome with a castle upgrade that lets characters warp from one place to another, but with a limit. As for supports, it honestly wouldn't change much - the supports would still be made; it'd just change how many can be seen on one playthrough. It's only about 2-4 extra supports per character, and it's the Replacement Characters with their original counterpart. 

4. Neither is keeping those characters locked behind an arbitrary and outdated system. Why NOT do this, and allow players who like to have all the units possible have exactly that? Why keep characters hidden behind design choices that don't really need to be enforced? Is the player who loves both Ayra and Larcei ever going to discover Creidne, if they don't give up Larcei and possibly their own head-canon for Creidne?

I also want DLC based off of some of Kaga's notes for a Part 3 of the game. 

For FE 6 and/or 7...I want a combined, two generation remake that treats the Elibe saga similar to FE 4. This may mean certain characters have their backstories retooled in order to fit this. It might mean certain characters are added or taken out in order to fit the game, story, or role. It might mean an expanded role for other characters like the Avatar Mark. It might mean that map designs are changed in order to benefit infantry units better, or classes are beefed up or nerfed. I'm fine with all of that, so long as it makes the game and story better and more cohesive. 

As for the Tellius Duology, I'm still in favor of those getting a remaster and not a full remake yet. They just need some QoL stuff and a wider release for most fans to be happy for now IMO. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2021 at 1:45 AM, AnonymousSpeed said:

You know, at this point I think every Fire Emblem is (via official remakes or the benefits of emulation) already as playable as I need it to be, so I don't really care.

Well provided you have a copy of Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn and at least a Wii to play them on (which, fortunately, I do, but a lot of people don't and they're pretty pricey to get second hand).

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

Well provided you have a copy of Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn and at least a Wii to play them on (which, fortunately, I do, but a lot of people don't and they're pretty pricey to get second hand).

I read your post and I raise you a dolphin.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

My computer can't even run an N64 game, no way it's playing Radiant Dawn without issue.

I wish I had a good computer. It can't run N64 or playstation 1. If it did, I'd have tried out Tear Ring Saga by now. I'm lucky for owning a copy of the Tellius games. I actually had to let a friend borrow them for them to play it, since they couldn't get it to work on a computer either, so I understand anyone who's desperate for a remake of those games without actually caring much for whether it gets changed much or not. Many of us just don't have access to them. They like Ike.

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

My computer can't even run an N64 game, no way it's playing Radiant Dawn without issue.

4 hours ago, Shaky Jones said:

I wish I had a good computer. It can't run N64 or playstation 1. If it did, I'd have tried out Tear Ring Saga by now. I'm lucky for owning a copy of the Tellius games. I actually had to let a friend borrow them for them to play it, since they couldn't get it to work on a computer either, so I understand anyone who's desperate for a remake of those games without actually caring much for whether it gets changed much or not. Many of us just don't have access to them. They like Ike.

I'd tell y'all to upgrade your graphics cards, but, uh...now's not really a good time for that. How old are these computers?

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I'd tell y'all to upgrade your graphics cards, but, uh...now's not really a good time for that. How old are these computers?

I actually have no idea. The thing is, what's the point of looking into better computers? I can't afford any of them. They call me Prince Leif. The newest laptop I own is a Gateway Notebook (windows 10). I don't know anything else about the specifics. Luckily, I own all FE games that can't run on it, but I imagine many don't. My actual computer is a piece of junk that is one click away from exploding, so it might as well not exist. I think many would appreciate a simple Tellius remaster (maybe even just a port) that gave everyone more accessibility to the games. Of course, I'd want a few changes added in to make it more fun for me. For PoR, I'd want them to add maniac mode back in from the JP version of it, but actually make it good. The easy and normal mode can be left the same for newer players, but I'd like something to give veterans an experience similar to Radiant Dawn. Not necessary, but I'd like to see that. As for RD, it's my second favorite FE game ever. My only real gripe is the under usage of the Dawn Brigade. I actually like using them in part 1, but part 3 can get carried away with the difficulty spike, since the Dawn Brigade simply don't get enough levels to reach the might of the Greil Mercenaries by then. Chapter 3-13 is fun though. I'd love a unique song for that chapter, similar to how SoV gave Emperor Rudolf's map a crazy good map theme. Oh yeah. If there's one thing a RD remaster/remake needs, it's a Hard Mode that doesn't REMOVE ENEMY RANGE VISION. That's so dumb.

Personally, one of the reasons I'd be interested in a remake (or a remaster or a port) of the Tellius games is to get my friends to play them. I definitely have friends who are interested enough in Fire Emblem that they'd play them if there was a convenient way to pick them up on the Switch but not interested enough to go to the hassle of getting hold of a copy or setting up an emulator or whatever.  Even if I can already play them as much as I want, it would be neat to be able to talk about them with my friends too.

One thing I'm excited about for the Genealogy remake is that, if the pattern holds, then they'll stop nerfing hit rate calcs into oblivion. every time they remake an old game, they seem to get more and more confident that the hit formula of that game was genius, to the point that now we're back at 1 to 1. Remaking Genealogy might finally convince these people to go back to double.

One thing I'm terrified of is that they'll remake Genealogy before they get it through their heads that making the turnwheel a canon concept is pointless and a plot-eating monster. If they give Sigurd the power to see the future or rewind time, the story is most likely going to become a hilarious shitshow.

Edited by Alastor15243

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

One thing I'm excited about for the Genealogy remake is that, if the pattern holds, then they'll stop nerfing hit rate calcs into oblivion. every time they remake an old game, they seem to get more and more confident that the hit formula of that game was genius, to the point that now we're back at 1 to 1. Remaking Genealogy might finally convince these people to go back to double.

I... don't quite get what you're saying here? Every modern remake has altered the Hit formula from the original game. FE1, FE2, and FE3 were all 1RN games. But their remakes changed it up - Shadow Dragon and New Mystery adjusted to the 2RN system that had become a series staple by that point, while Echoes switched to the unholy stapled-together beast that is FatesRN. Since Three Houses changed back to a white-bread 2RN system, I imagine that's what the inevitable Genealogy remake will give us as well.

2 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

One thing I'm terrified of is that they'll remake Genealogy before they get it through their heads that making the turnwheel a canon concept is pointless and a plot-eating monster. If they give Sigurd the power to see the future or rewind time, the story is most likely going to become a hilarious shitshow.

Inb4 Genealogy Golden Route, where Sigurd and Seliph jump through time together and go back to murder baby Arvis.

35 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I... don't quite get what you're saying here? Every modern remake has altered the Hit formula from the original game. FE1, FE2, and FE3 were all 1RN games. But their remakes changed it up - Shadow Dragon and New Mystery adjusted to the 2RN system that had become a series staple by that point, while Echoes switched to the unholy stapled-together beast that is FatesRN. Since Three Houses changed back to a white-bread 2RN system, I imagine that's what the inevitable Genealogy remake will give us as well.

It's not about 1RN or 2RN, it's about the multiplier put on your skill and speed to determine your hit and avoid. From 4-10 it was 2, but then Shadow Dragon gets remade where it's 1, and then suddenly when they're back to making new games it's 1.5. Then they remake Gaiden where it's 1, and now we get Three Houses where it's 1.

Edited by Alastor15243

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

It's not about 1RN or 2RN, it's about the multiplier put on your skill and speed to determine your hit and avoid. From 4-10 it was 2, but then Shadow Dragon gets remade where it's 1, and then suddenly when they're back to making new games it's 1.5. Then they remake Gaiden where it's 1, and now we get Three Houses where it's 1.

So to clarify, your hope is that the Genealogy remake will feature Hit and Avoid formulas such that 1 point of Skill will manifest as 2 Hit, and 1 point of Speed (or Attack Speed) will turn into 2 Avoid? And that said 1:2 ratio will also be applied to future games?

1 minute ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

So to clarify, your hope is that the Genealogy remake will feature Hit and Avoid formulas such that 1 point of Skill will manifest as 2 Hit, and 1 point of Speed (or Attack Speed) will turn into 2 Avoid? And that said 1:2 ratio will also be applied to future games?

Exactly.