Your ideas on remakes in general?

henrymidfields

9 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

One thing I'm excited about for the Genealogy remake is that, if the pattern holds, then they'll stop nerfing hit rate calcs into oblivion. every time they remake an old game, they seem to get more and more confident that the hit formula of that game was genius, to the point that now we're back at 1 to 1. Remaking Genealogy might finally convince these people to go back to double.

One thing I'm terrified of is that they'll remake Genealogy before they get it through their heads that making the turnwheel a canon concept is pointless and a plot-eating monster. If they give Sigurd the power to see the future or rewind time, the story is most likely going to become a hilarious shitshow.

They will probably just give the protagonists a turn wheel like they did in Echoes. The turn wheel makes it a lot easier for newcomers to get into the series, especially for an older title like Genealogy, which has a huge maps. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

They will probably just give the protagonists a turn wheel like they did in Echoes. The turn wheel makes it a lot easier for newcomers to get into the series, especially for an older title like Genealogy, which has a huge maps. 

That simply cannot happen unquestioned due to the nature of what happens in Genealogy of the Holy War. They can't give Sigurd and Seliph a magical amulet of divine prophecy from the gods and still have the story happen the way it does, unless something like this happens:

As long as the turnwheel is a canon part of the story, there is no comfortable way to avoid the discussion about just how much goes horribly wrong in that story without any warning. So either they just make rewinds a gameplay mechanic that the protagonist can't canonically do in-story, or they address it in an honest and satisfying way.

Edited by Alastor15243

14 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

10 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

That simply cannot happen unquestioned due to the nature of what happens in Genealogy of the Holy War. They can't give Sigurd and Seliph a magical amulet of divine prophecy from the gods and still have the story happen the way it does, unless something like this happens:

Genealogy already lets you save every turn. They will probably just give you unlimited save slots.

3 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Judging from what you have written, I’m guessing that you are saying that it wouldn’t make sense because it brings up the contradiction that Sigurd could have saved his army from burning to ash. A fair point, but I don’t think it’s a complete counter argument. The scene where everyone is being burnt could have Sigurd trying to use the turn wheel to save everyone, only to realize that in horror that he is out of uses. Or their is some kind of dark magic being used by the Loptyr Church to prevent the turn wheel from working. The point is, I don don’t think it’s impossible to add a turn wheel while also keeping the story intact.

2 minutes ago, Ghost_06_ said:

Genealogy already lets you save every turn. They will probably just give you unlimited save slots.

Honestly that's what I'm hoping for. Given the nonsense they had to pull to make anything bad happen in Three Houses, I'm hoping they learn their lesson and just use the old non-canon save-scumming mechanic the game already had.

@ZeManaphy I think you're downplaying just how badly, and how frequently, things go horribly wrong in the story of Genealogy. It's a perfect storm of villainous conspiracies where every single victory Sigurd achieves comes at some horrible cost. Divine prophecy would already be hard enough to swallow. Actual literal time rewinding, like in Three Houses, would make the story into a laughable farce with the number of nonsensical excuses they'd have to pull out of their asses for why Sigurd does nothing to stop any of the tragedy that happens along the way.

Edited by Alastor15243

26 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Honestly that's what I'm hoping for. Given the nonsense they had to pull to make anything bad happen in Three Houses, I'm hoping they learn their lesson and just use the old non-canon save-scumming mechanic the game already had.

@ZeManaphy I think you're downplaying just how badly, and how frequently, things go horribly wrong in the story of Genealogy. It's a perfect storm of villainous conspiracies where every single victory Sigurd achieves comes at some horrible cost. Divine prophecy would already be hard enough to swallow. Actual literal time rewinding, like in Three Houses, would make the story into a laughable farce with the number of nonsensical excuses they'd have to pull out of their asses for why Sigurd does nothing to stop any of the tragedy that happens along the way.

Fine, I will take your word for it. I have never played Genealogy and probably never will. They could do what the switch versions of Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light do and just implement as part of the menu. 

Genealogy already sort of breaks its rules of divine intervention by having Claude pray for the script to tell him what happens at the end, only for Bragi to arbitrarily not warn them of Alvis's treachery.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

Genealogy already sort of breaks its rules of divine intervention by having Claude pray for the script to tell him what happens at the end, only for Bragi to arbitrarily not warn them of Alvis's treachery.

Oh he was warned they were all going to die. He just accepted it and didn't warn anyone except maybe his wife.

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

No, he did. Who knows about Arvis in specific, but he totally knows they're marching to their deaths.

Claude:
“Adean, this is to be our last battle.”

Adean:
“Yes, that’s what everyone’s saying.”

Claude:
“Here, you should have this. Help our young soldiers with it.”

Adean:
“Oh, this is a Rescue Staff. Why me?”

Claude:
“I have yet to speak a word of this, but you being my wife, well… I should probably tell you. This war will end in our defeat. All that is important to us will be lost.”

Adean:
“…What!?”

Claude:
“I, too, had a difficult time believing the Lord’s words when I was at Blagi Tower. But this is how fate will have it. I also will not likely survive. That’s why I’m entrusting this staff to you.”

They already have Braggi related with precognition/clairvoyance abilities, so you can bet that if they implement turn rewound, it will have to do with Braggi. Make Claude visit Sigurd either at Chalphy or Evans, and presto.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

No, he did. Who knows about Arvis in specific, but he totally knows they're marching to their deaths.

They already have Braggi related with precognition/clairvoyance abilities, so you can bet that if they implement turn rewound, it will have to do with Braggi. Make Claude visit Sigurd either at Chalphy or Evans, and presto.

Yeah, my point is that Braggi sends them all to their death by telling them about Langbolt and Reptor but arbitrarily ignoring Alvis (and Scipio, but nobody cares about Scipio, not even the other bad guys).

46 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Yeah, my point is that Braggi sends them all to their death by telling them about Langbolt and Reptor but arbitrarily ignoring Alvis (and Scipio, but nobody cares about Scipio, not even the other bad guys).

Maybe Father Claud never thought to ask about Arvis? Like, he knew Langbart and Reptor to be shady at best, but Arvis seemed chill up until he didn't. Alternatively, perhaps there were some "whims of fate" that Blaggi felt compelled to uphold - he couldn't tell Claud "your army is going to die", while also providing him information to avoid such a death, lest his first oracle be proven false.

1 hour ago, ZeManaphy said:

The scene where everyone is being burnt could have Sigurd trying to use the turn wheel to save everyone, only to realize that in horror that he is out of uses. Or their is some kind of dark magic being used by the Loptyr Church to prevent the turn wheel from working.

This comes across like "Sigurd is given a gun, but he didn't bring enough bullets. Or he did bring enough bullets, except now the bad guys have a bullet-stopping spell we haven't seen until now." In the first case, Sigurd could have averted his fate simply by being better-prepared. In the latter, the protagonist's overpowered ability must be answered by an equally OP move from the enemies. Even though neither ability is necessary for the narrative. Sigurd isn't some "chosen hero", he's just a noble guy who's trying to do right in the world within the bounds of his abilities. 

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

So either they just make rewinds a gameplay mechanic that the protagonist can't canonically do in-story, or they address it in an honest and satisfying way.

Please, just do it this way. Make it an ability of the player, like "End Turn" or "Check Conditions", rather than of any particular character.

6 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Maybe Father Claud never thought to ask about Arvis? Like, he knew Langbart and Reptor to be shady at best, but Arvis seemed chill up until he didn't. Alternatively, perhaps there were some "whims of fate" that Blaggi felt compelled to uphold - he couldn't tell Claud "your army is going to die", while also providing him information to avoid such a death, lest his first oracle be proven false.

This comes across like "Sigurd is given a gun, but he didn't bring enough bullets. Or he did bring enough bullets, except now the bad guys have a bullet-stopping spell we haven't seen until now." In the first case, Sigurd could have averted his fate simply by being better-prepared. In the latter, the protagonist's overpowered ability must be answered by an equally OP move from the enemies. Even though neither ability is necessary for the narrative. Sigurd isn't some "chosen hero", he's just a noble guy who's trying to do right in the world within the bounds of his abilities. 

Please, just do it this way. Make it an ability of the player, like "End Turn" or "Check Conditions", rather than of any particular character.

Well Claud just says he's going to find out the "truth" of what's going on, which is pretty all encompassing. Though in Bragi's defense, Claud is just trying to find out what happened to Kurth, and Alvis didn't really have any part in that particular assassination. Honestly though I'd prefer Claud's divine revalation were just written out entirely. It doesn't actually help the story at all considering Reptor shows up and betrays Sigurd five minutes later which is reason enough to believe he's behind everything. Just put Claud over on the island because he's seeking the Valkyrie staff due to the king's ailing health or something.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll give a few more controversial takes for future FE remakes:

For Fates, I think Elise should have Lucina as a retainer. My reasons:

1. Elise being the only Nohrian noble without an Awakening retainer always felt off to me. I have an unproven theory that Effie was meant to be Kjelle, but something changed along the way and that idea was never fully realized, but still it feels weird. I think Lucina would pair very well as a retainer for Elise, fulfilling the "sister away from home" vibe that Elise could use while also providing a fun contrast.* Maybe Lucina could be a Cavalier with access to Archer, paying homage to Chrom's two secondary classes.

2. Lucina is given more "canon" ending options. Awakening has it's fair share of endings for Lucina. The one that sticks out most personally is the one where she whispers some words to her alternate baby self, and disappears. I feel like her disappearing and then reappearing in Fates would pair together nicely. Sure, her other endings would be retconned to a degree (if not entirely), but so were Laslow, Selena, and Odin's paired and original endings. 

3. Lucina is already playable in the game due to Amiibo stuff. If Amiibos don't work for a future console, then having Lucina adapted into the base game could be a nice compromise for fans who have the Amiibo and would be upset about this change.** (Which, ironically, doesn't include me.)

4. I can finally ship Xander and Lucina in game! Sure, this was the main reason, but the other ones still have value!

Also for Fates, Layla should be a main character or at least a playable one. 

1. Layla is one of the few NPCs that has a unique design and a somewhat important role in the plot. I think any future remakes should expand on this. 

2. Heroes has shown us how a team can have two Dancers and not be (too) broken. I don't see why that'd have to change with a new dancer. 

Next, a combined Fates and Three Houses remake take that would never be done - take out the child units from Fates and retool them to fit into Three Houses. Many players feel that the Child Units are forced into Fates unnecessarily, and the game suffers because of that.*** My solution would to this is to take them out of Fates entirely, so that the main gen characters can have some breathing room for the story. Meanwhile the Child Units move to a world where they can be themselves without any awkward clashing and obtain the breathing room they need to grow. Sure, Soleil is a great unit in Fates, but doesn't her character fit just a tad better in Fodlan, where she can have paired endings with both guys and girls? And does Sophie really need her parents around for her journey to knighthood be effective? And imagine if Rhajat was Hubert's brother, but was only accessible on the routes that Hubert himself wasn't due to Hubert's actions right before Part 2, effectively allowing players access to his Relic and Crest without forcing players to play Crimson Flower? Asugi could work as the son of a respected noble who was caught stealing, and is now forced to work for the Church of Seiros as his atonement, with his handlers/watchers being Catherine, Shamir, and Byleth. (And, if you don't reach a B-Support with him and Shamir before Part 2, he won't join you on the Crimson Flower route.) And I can already see Caeldori as Sylvain's younger sister who had a crush on Dimitri (or Felix. Or both) and idol-worships Ingrid. Sure, some units like Percy, Midori, and possibly Kana would need to be aged up if they were included at all; but they should have been older in the first place. Velouria and Selkie could add another layer of nuance and variety to the world of Fodlan too.

Lastly, OT3's. I think they could be fun, if challenging rewards for dedicated players. (All three characters must have their individual supports with each other maxed out, as well as the trio support and all character paralogues. I.e. if I had a F!Byleth/Dimitri/Dorothea support, I would need to have A or A+ rank in Byleth/Dimitri, Byleth/Dorothea, Dimitri/Dorothea, and Byleth/Dimitri/Dorothea. Dimitri, Byleth, and Dorothea's separate paralogues would have needed to be completed as well.)

I think even some of these changes would add an extra layer of intrigue and originality to the remake (in admittedly the easiest way possible - with new characters), while also fixing potential problems the previous games had.

And an extra, bonus, super controversial take!

Have an alternate-world aka Fodlan-native version of Lucina lead the Ashen Wolves. You'd get gender balance alongside a complete weapon triangle (Yes, I know that Claude counts as the "sword" part of the Sword-Axe-Lance triangle), and you get a cool alternate version of an incredibly popular character. 

*Which is something that the Awakening trio do to their nobles - Laslow is flirty and slacks off while Xander is very stoic and trains to the point of it being relaxing for his siblings to listen to. Odin is super silly whereas Leo is super serious. Lastly, Selena is starved for maternal affection, but is hesitant to give her own affection in return, while Camilla (who, while not as open about it, is similarly starved) gives that maternal affection freely, but is very closed off to what affection she receives outside of her family.

**That means other Amiibo characters like Robin, Chrom, and Ike would need to be put into the base-game as well, but that could actually work out well for the Awakening crew, in a weird, Chrono Trigger sort of time-space mind-screw. If IntSys decided to release Awakening and Fates as a combo release, then players could play Fates first, play the expansion DLC where Chrom early on is recruited (and maybe also recruit Frederick and Lissa?), have them go through the game, and then carry some of the bonuses into Awakening. (Levels and skills would be reset of course, but there'd be certain bonuses for doing it this way.) If Chrom gets married in Fates, then that character also carries over into Awakening. However if Lissa is playable, I don't think giving her a romance would be such a good idea. 

Robin would be a post-final level pre-final scene version of themselves, and would not be able to support Chrom. They'd work like the original Awakening Trio, and would disappear from the world with their spouse (if there is one) unless M!Robin marries Corrin, or F!Robin marries Corrin, Ryoma, or Xander. (Maybe if players play Awakening first, in a new Fates profile, they have the option of transferring their Robin, Lucina, Laslow, Odin, and Selena's over to Fates. These versions get to keep one skill from Awakening as well as any items they had on hand during the final fight.)

So basically, if you play Awakening first, you get bonus items and improved stats on four characters, while if you play Fates first, you get one bonus character, some bonus items, and improved stats on three other characters. 

I'm not sure if this would mean that players should be allowed to marry Chrom to F!Corrin, as that would be a MAJOR change to Lucina's character. But I can imagine it being a timed option for players. If this is done before Lissa is recruited, then Lucina reaps the benefits, and Azura will inherit Valla. 

Ike is far more troublesome. I'd personally just stick with this being Smash Bros!Ike, and have his supports and whatnot allude to that, rather than messing with canon or shipping or anything like that. Although maybe as a compromise if this was the case, having Corrin marry Ike results in Priam gaining access to both the Yato and Ragnell in Awakening, with a skill from Corrin to boot. That way Priam is a descendant of AN Ike, but it doesn't necessarily have to be THE Ike. 

***I'm personally 50-50 on it. I definitely feel that way, but the Child Units also help make Fates the sandbox customization game it is. I think changing that would be a disservice to the game's mechanics, IMO. But for narrative and character reasons, the kids should go.

Edited by Use the Falchion

While I'd love a Jugdral remake, I am wholly uncertain of how it should be tackled. The large scale maps are super unappealing to many fans (I myself had to get used to it), but I think it could still work. There just needs to be more firm breaks when you reach each castle you seize. To rest and heal your troops, do side stuff, so on and so forth. But that ultimately just brings in the question, why not just break it into chapters? Like if you're gonna go that far with diving it up anyway, it might be more suitable to have chapter breaks. Idk, it's definitely a hard thing. I have a sneaking suspicion that they have discussed in length the issues of remaking Holy War and ultimately decided to take heavy influence from the game and put it into their new game instead--Three Houses. It's no secret the game bears a large amount of influence from Holy War and Thracia 776, so it easily could have been their way to kill two birds with one stone. Though I wholeheartedly hope I am wrong.

Binding Blade remake will undoubtedly happen at some point and I think it needs it. I found this game to be the most flawed out of the Fire Emblem games and definitely my least favorite, so I'd love to see a remake that places this game higher in my list (And throw Fates down on the bottom). Idc how it's done, just make it good. I only know this remake will happen more likely than others because someone (maybe the original creator of Binding Blade, Idk) said at one point it was the project he was the most interested in remaking. If a Binding Blade remake happens, then a Blazing Sword one is probably inevitable. If those both happen, then what about Sacred Stones, one of the greatest video games of all time? Well, I don't care. Sacred Stones is pretty perfect as is, so either way I'd be content.

Tellius games I'd be content with a remaster. I think the games are pretty good that a remake isn't really necessary. Some kind of post-game content for Radiant Dawn though would definitely be neat. Could be something like what Path of Radiance has or something else. I just want something. I've put more hours into Radiant Dawn than any other game and it goes bother me that there's no post-game. It always grinds my gears when a game has no post-game. Like, why the heck not? You know? Sacred Stones and Awakening did it right. But yeah, I also don't physically own Path of Radiance, so it'd be nice to finally own it. Give me just a Switch port, whether it be the original or a HD remaster, I . . . just . . . freaking . . . want the game!

Just back with another hot-take, fresh off the press of another thread!

In a combined FE 6/7 remake, Mark should totally be an antagonist during Roy's story. Yes, Mark should still be romanceable in Eliwood's story, and have a child; but for the next part, Mark should join Bern, either out of a foolish-yet-desperate attempt to save their family, or because they are jaded and cynical, but see helping Bern as the quickest past to peace. Regardless, I think that could create some heartbreaking moments for many old-time fans as well as new fans, while bringing a different dynamic into the Avatar-Child relationship we've seen so far. It also would allow players to face off against themselves in a way, and doing that is always fun and tense. 

On 11/5/2021 at 11:32 PM, Use the Falchion said:

Next, a combined Fates and Three Houses remake take that would never be done - take out the child units from Fates and retool them to fit into Three Houses. Many players feel that the Child Units are forced into Fates unnecessarily, and the game suffers because of that.*** My solution would to this is to take them out of Fates entirely, so that the main gen characters can have some breathing room for the story. Meanwhile the Child Units move to a world where they can be themselves without any awkward clashing and obtain the breathing room they need to grow. Sure, Soleil is a great unit in Fates, but doesn't her character fit just a tad better in Fodlan, where she can have paired endings with both guys and girls? And does Sophie really need her parents around for her journey to knighthood be effective? And imagine if Rhajat was Hubert's brother, but was only accessible on the routes that Hubert himself wasn't due to Hubert's actions right before Part 2, effectively allowing players access to his Relic and Crest without forcing players to play Crimson Flower? Asugi could work as the son of a respected noble who was caught stealing, and is now forced to work for the Church of Seiros as his atonement, with his handlers/watchers being Catherine, Shamir, and Byleth. (And, if you don't reach a B-Support with him and Shamir before Part 2, he won't join you on the Crimson Flower route.) And I can already see Caeldori as Sylvain's younger sister who had a crush on Dimitri (or Felix. Or both) and idol-worships Ingrid. Sure, some units like Percy, Midori, and possibly Kana would need to be aged up if they were included at all; but they should have been older in the first place. Velouria and Selkie could add another layer of nuance and variety to the world of Fodlan too.

Question, how does ripping these characters from one game and inserting them into another unrelated game fix things in a way that simply having them not be child characters in Fates does? Cause I don`t see it. Adding these characters into Three Houses feels like it would be way too big of a chore for such little gain. Besides, Fodlan as a world is already pretty well defined and has plenty of nuance. Fates` world on the other hand, in my opinion, could really use the additional worldbuilding

Just throwing my own two cents in here.

Edited by Metal Flash

3 hours ago, Metal Flash said:

Question, how does ripping these characters from one game and inserting them into another unrelated game fix things in a way that simply having them not be child characters in Fates does? Cause I don`t see it.

Good question! 

The Fates children have a twofold problem right now. First is that they don't fit naturally into the game. The Deeprealms feel forced, and more like a knockoff of the Outer Realms from Awakening than anything else. Second is that because they are more or less shoehorned into an already bloated cast, the characters aren't really well-defined or characterized outside of their one main gimmick. (This is problem with Fates as a whole, and the kids are actually on the tamer side of it, but it's still a problem.) 

They could also embody more than Main Parent 2.0 gameplay-wise, an area that so few seem to escape. (Off the top of my head: Forrest, Shiro, Midori, Shigure, and Percy are the only five I can think of that really escape their parents' shadow.)

I think that Fodlan and post-Three Hosues games would fit better, as characters could not only be defined by their relationships to their own parents - something the Royals in Gen 1 already mine - but they could also be around other kids their same age. This tension between parent and child is a good one, but it's not treated as a generational sin in Fates. Besides, it's a good starting point, but only that - a starting point. Taking that conflict away entirely leaves the characters with their gimmicks, and that doesn't bode well for characterization.  

Fates` world on the other hand, in my opinion, could really use the additional worldbuilding

I completely agree. But imagine if Fates didn't have to worry about the second generation that in total basically make up an entire third cast. Imagine how much more time they could spend on fleshing out the world, from little things like naming the continents to larger retools like actually giving more depth to Garon and observable nuance to Hoshido. Oh, and rebalancing Revelation. It's balance is AWFUL.

(Minor Revelations balancing rant ahead.)

Spoiler

From forcing players to take nearly twenty turns due to the few units available at the beginning of the game to the asinine unit limit towards some of the later levels. When my units are all about level 15-20 and getting ready to promote, I shouldn't be gaining a level nine Dark Mage as my first Dark MageDURING THE SAME CHAPTER I CAN RECRUIT A PRE-PROMOTED UNIT.

This is a major thing Fates needs to handle, and adding in more units who aren't locked behind marriage makes this problem even worse. So yeah, just erasing the Children Unit's status as Children Units and adding them into the base game mucks up an already pretty mucky situation. 

Meanwhile, Three Houses can handle more characters with parental trauma, because that makes up 90% of its cast. The main complaints I hear about Three Houses have less to do with worldbuilding and more to do with Crimson Flower being abridged, Verdant Wind being too similar to Silver Snow, Garrag Mach becoming annoying after multiple playthroughs, and other minor plot/gameplay stuff that could be changed pretty easily in a remake/remaster. 

Adding these characters into Three Houses feels like it would be way too big of a chore for such little gain.

I disagree, if this discussion didn't make that obvious! 😅 Adding a few new characters into each House wouldn't harm the game at all - in fact, one of the best ways to sell a remake/remaster is to add new characters or features to the game. The more new characters, the more variety and novelty added. Besides, IntSys isn't afraid of adding characters from one game to anther (OG Pegasus Trio, Laslow, Selena, Odin) or adding new characters to remakes (Kris and Co, and Faye). Why shouldn't Three Houses take that advice as well?

Many of the character traits could still be explored, or at least adapted to fit the world:

Nina's father could still be a thief who scrounged up enough money to send her to Garrag Mach so she'd have a better life than he does. (Which could lead to an arc that starts with her annoyed at her father's decision to ultimately accepting it, and then forging her own path similar to OG Niles by becoming a spy for the Professor or the House Leader in charge). Also, are you saying you wouldn't want to see Nina and Bernie react and try to write a book together?

Ophelia would be the daughter of a minor noble (probably a distant cousin of either Dimitri or Edelgard*) who is super weird, and leans towards the "mystic" side of the "mystic vs science" aspect of magic. (This could make for a funny dynamic with Lysithea, where she could be the Mulder to Lysithea's Scully.)

Soleil could still be a mercenary leader in charge of her own band - something Fates introduces, and then never mentions again

Shiro could be a son of a noble who was never intended to inherit the title, but after the proper heir's passing, he's now put on the path to nobility and doesn't know what to do with it. Heck, that could easily fit the role of Balthus' younger brother! (Or Catherine's, which could lend itself into why he doesn't have a Relic, and parental favoritism stuff.) (It also helps that it erases a giant flaw in Ryoma's characterization.)

Benny, Sophie, and Caeldori would all be the children of knights, giving us a Middle Class perspective on things that Dorothea (technically a peasant), Ignatz (too obsessed with art), and Ashe (peasant adopted by minor nobility) don't. 

The time-jump allows for most of the unsettling romance options from Fates to be ripped away, as all of the kids would be aged up 5-6 years by the time they could be romanced.**

All of the hard work of coming up with the characters, classes, and backstory is more or less done. Heck, even the stat growths can be based off of the Fates versions. All that's needed are some Boons/Banes/Hidden Talents, revamped supports (based off of the original ones), Garrag Mach dialogue, and post-timeskip designs. Honestly, I'm surprised IntSys doesn't do this more often. 

Despite all of the above, I DO think that a Fates remake can properly balance unit recruitment, add/fix the worldbuilding, AND leave enough room for both generations of characters to be fleshed out and develop more. Ripping the 3nd gen here just means less work for them that they can then reap the benefits of by providing them in a game where they fit far more naturally IMO. 

Ultimately, what you see as a chore, I see as an opportunity. It's fine that you don't agree - I don't suspect many will. Nevertheless, I'll champion this perspective. 

*I'd lean towards Dimitri, since the Blue Lions don't have a resident Dark Magic user. Sure, Hapi counts in that she has supports with Dimitri and a tie to his past, but that's only for DLC, and she isn't native to the Blue Lions house. 

**The youngest ones like Midori and Percy would still probably need to be aged up, but that's fine. 

Edited by Use the Falchion

6 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Crimson Flower being abridged, Verdant Wind being too similar to Silver Snow, Garrag Mach becoming annoying after multiple playthroughs, and other minor plot/gameplay stuff that could be changed pretty easily in a remake/remaster. 

I wouldn't mind if Silver Snow is completely merged with Azure Moon, and Rhea being romancable because those two are the closest political stance to each other. It''ll also bring much needed world-building to Azure Moon as well.

As for Verdant Wind, I wouldn't mind if there was a pro-Empire route under certain conditions. The default route would be as canon, of course. As for the other route, Byleth/Claude can initiate support conversations with the Black Eagles students. After a certain amount of it, Byleth and Claude finds out more about what Edelgard wants, while Edelgard and her students finds out what Byleth/Claude wants. Because of this, one or the other decides to offer an alliance after the timeskip. The pro-Empire route is a modified version of Crimson Flower, but Edelgard dies in the Arianrod Incident, and Byleth has to carry her wishes in her stead.

6 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Garrag Mach becoming annoying after multiple playthroughs

I'll probably replace some of the GM explorations with explorations in, say, Enbarr, Firidhad/Arianrhod, or Deidre, depending on which route you eventually take. And some other of the exploration rounds would be in a barracks on the move.

Edited by henrymidfields

10 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

in fact, one of the best ways to sell a remake/remaster is to add new characters or features to the game.

Then I would rather they either make previous NPCs playable (Randalph, Fleche, Ladislava, Judith, Rhea) or make entirely new characters akin to Echoes. I simply don`t why they should try and shove child units from a different game into this one. Didn`t make sense to me with Fates, and wouldn`t make sense to me with Three Houses.

If you wish to champion this, the more power to you. We will simply agree to disagree.

7 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

As for Verdant Wind, I wouldn't mind if there was a pro-Empire route under certain conditions. The default route would be as canon, of course. As for the other route, Byleth/Claude can initiate support conversations with the Black Eagles students. After a certain amount of it, Byleth and Claude finds out more about what Edelgard wants, while Edelgard and her students finds out what Byleth/Claude wants. Because of this, one or the other decides to offer an alliance after the timeskip. The pro-Empire route is a modified version of Crimson Flower, but Edelgard dies in the Arianrod Incident, and Byleth has to carry her wishes in her stead.

Interesting! I really like your ideas, but I'm more of the mind of Silver Route Supports, where one new House Leader is available on each route for the final level or two (Punished!Dimitri on Crimson Flower, Edelgard on Verdant Wind, and Claude on Azure Moon*). Rhea would get an exclusive fifth route, where her and Edelgard team up against TWSITD (who in this version have infiltrated Almyra). Your way is dependent on the game acting like players didn't recruit any other characters, when players like me end up recruiting virtually everyone possible on every route.

Then I would rather they either make previous NPCs playable (Randalph, Fleche, Ladislava, Judith, Rhea) or make entirely new characters akin to Echoes.

Three Crimson Flower exclusive characters, one Verdant Wind, and one who really doesn't fit in any version without major reworks. Not that I'm against any of these characters being playable - I'll champion all five with you! But Rhea needs her own fifth route, and the others being route exclusive doesn't really invite me to play this game again. 

Again, taking the characters who don't fit in one game and putting them in a game where they do fit gives all of the appeal of new characters without all of the work.

We will simply agree to disagree.

That we will.

Spoiler

I'm aware that many would prefer either Claude on all routes, or Dimitri on Verdant Wind, Claude on Crimson Flower, and then something for Edelgard and Dimitri where they can both be happy. But that doesn't work for me gameplay-wise or character wise. Dimitri and Edelgard's story is a tragedy, and trying to change that into them both being their best selves and getting together undercuts the whole point of the tragedy. Not to mention that Edelgard is the final boss on Dimitri's route, and there no postgame in Three Houses, so recruiting her would be functionally useless. 

Meanwhile, Edelgard being recruited on Claude's route still keeps some of the bitterness  via Dimitri's death while also giving Edelgard her vengeance against TWSITD, and giving Edelgard a solid map or two of use.

The same goes for Claude on Verdant Wind. 

For Genealogy, I'd prefer a more faithful remake, a la Echoes. Quality of life improvements, remade presentation, fleshed out characters and story, voice acting, etc. But I'm generally fine with the gameplay as it is. I don't think it really needs any major changes. Only minor alterations like the weight of the standard fire tome and such. Change too much (or make it too much in line with other FE games) and it's not Genealogy anymore, if you ask me.

On the other hand, Binding Blade needs a bit more changed, in my opinion. But because Binding Blade is a much less ambitious FE game, changing the mechanics shouldn't really make the game feel that much different, IMO. More mechanical changes, such as with the hit rates, ambush spawns, etc. Maybe even some map designs or layouts as well. And of course, changes to the presentation, though those are basically a given for any potential remake, honestly.

Tellius doesn't need remakes. Just upscale and port them. They're more than fine as is.

This is a recurrent topic. In a very generalised way

Genealogy: supports, voice acting, cutscenes and overhaul in the story like in SOV, etc... The map sizes shouldn't be changed, but the enemies distribution need to be fixed, and maybe adding more things in between. Fix the jealousy system, make the castles the basis like the monastery, add alternative class trees, also add things to do in the list game 

Thracia: I'd like to see the substitutes as new playable characters there. The dumb mechanic of missing staves that no one will miss if it was excluded. Other than that, the same: voice acting, cutscenes, supports, more story, etc... Also add things to do in post game 

Blazing Blade: turn Mark a proper avatar and even give a side story to them; give special cutscenes in the final credits for all lord pairings, including Lyn endings that aren't with Eliwood or Hector (why she was excluded on that?), make possible to roam through places like Ostia and Pherae 

Binding Blade: Guinivere playable in the main campaign; expand Lilina, Sue, Shanna and Cecilia's roles. Fix the stat distribution of some characters and make Roy's promotion earlier. Also a proper post-game that is better than "beat this one million time to get Guinivere as a playable character". Make possible to roam in Sacae and Ilia. 

New mystery and Shadow Dragon: add suports for characters that aren't Kris for the heavens sake. Two or three supports per character excluding avatar. Major characters like Marth, Nyna and Caeda can have more than two convos. 

Awakening: Make possible to pair at least Tharja and Miriel with Chrom and open the romance poll for Sumia. Add some of the future past conversations in the main game. Give personal skills and give Galeforce skill to Lucina. Fix the opening Cutscene and give special scenes to all Chrom's wives. 

Fates: Idk. Most fixing need to be addressed in details of the story structure 

Edited by genesis

51 minutes ago, genesis said:

Thracia: I'd like to see the substitutes as new playable characters there, the dumb mechanic of missing staves that no one will miss if it was excluded. Other than that, the same: voice acting, cutscenes, supports, more story, etc... Also add things to do in post game

I think this would have been a great idea when Thracia was being made. After all, the likes of Karin easily could have been Hermina (in fact those two characters in particular have basically the same story as far as I can recall). It would have been a great way to make the substitutes their own characters and disconnect them from the plot lines of the child characters they're attached to. However, I say would and could have because I think the ship has sailed on that front. Thracia already has a pretty massive roster, I'm not sure there'd be any time or use to adding a large amount of new characters to the cast. I think the job to develop the substitute cast will have to fall on Genealogy. I think one way to do that would be to make is so none of them, or maybe only a few of them, are siblings. There's no specific need for the troubadour and cavalry units to be brother and sister both when they're child characters and when they're substitutes. This just leads to the same story only with different faces. Come up with different reasons for the substitutes to be where they are that aren't "Oh I'm looking for my sibling who I lost contact."

• 2 weeks later...

Fire Emblem - Echoes of Archanean Heroes

Fire Emblem - Echoes of Archanean Heroes is my remake idea based on Fire Emblem - Mystery of the Emblem and its DS remake. It will release on the Switch.

This is going to be very radical but one change I would make is the character, Kris.

- Kris is a premade character like any other. His personality will be mostly the same but can't be customized in any way. We've got room for an infantry lance class. (Soldier/Halberdier)

- Kris won't have a major presence in the main story, outside of supports and the such. He'll be a major player in the prologue chapters and the gaiden chapters.

- Kris is a victim of permadeath. If Kris dies, you can't unlock the gaiden chapters. That means you don't get to find out anything about the Assassins sideplot, can't recruit Katarina and the such.

Edited by thetiger39
Echoes of Archanean Heroes is based on the event: War of Heroes which is featured in Mystery of the Emblem.

On 11/15/2021 at 2:28 AM, Use the Falchion said:

Interesting! I really like your ideas, but I'm more of the mind of Silver Route Supports, where one new House Leader is available on each route for the final level or two (Punished!Dimitri on Crimson Flower, Edelgard on Verdant Wind, and Claude on Azure Moon*). Rhea would get an exclusive fifth route, where her and Edelgard team up against TWSITD (who in this version have infiltrated Almyra). Your way is dependent on the game acting like players didn't recruit any other characters, when players like me end up recruiting virtually everyone possible on every route.

Three Crimson Flower exclusive characters, one Verdant Wind, and one who really doesn't fit in any version without major reworks. Not that I'm against any of these characters being playable - I'll champion all five with you! But Rhea needs her own fifth route, and the others being route exclusive doesn't really invite me to play this game again. 

Now that I think about it, what would you improve for Azure Moon?

I wouldn't mind if they also modify AM's story. Say Dimitri's reconquest of his Kingdom isn't going as well and is a constant uphill battle, trying to quell rebellions on the southern half. Turns out, those people were actually kind of content with the Empire's rule thanks to Edelgard's egalitarian policies. And turns out, Edelgard was kinda right about Rhea not having the best interests of the Fodlanese people. And suddenly Dimitri's leadership is called into question when the whole Blue Lions teams finds out. Some like Felix gets all high and mighty about it, revealing that he knew that Dimi was not doing his homework in governance all along. Some like Sylvain and Mercedes lashes out at Dimi for being constantly self-absorbed for the majority of the War Phase, disappointed that Dimi has no plans for what to do with the constant crest-based injustice the two faced. Others like Ingrid refuses to believe any of Edie's claims and yells at the others for not knowing which side the students are on.

In the end, I would make it explicit that Edie ended up having the last laugh in her grave. Either Dimi gets forced into a figurehead, or he ends up passing a less extreme version of Edelgard's reforms. Rhea and Seteth ends up being forced to fess up under Byleth's coercion, and steps down. And while everyone eventually makes amends, I'd make it so that that too had been an uphill struggle.

Edited by henrymidfields