Nintendo Direct announced for 9/23/21

Perkilator

I only cared about Triangle Strategy on the Direct, although I still don't like the whole "represent the group's future decisions with a magic balance" aspect. Leave the discussing, voting and stuff, but the balance itself is too silly for me. Still, I can live with it even if they keep that stuff and with no FE in the near future I need another game to quell my thirst for a SRPG so I'm buying this thing week 1. 

It was only like a minute, but it's nice to see Rune Factory 5 finally has an English release date, although I've heard the game has some performance issues that can make it a bit of a slog. Eh, I liked 4 a lot on the 3DS despite the slowdowns it had every now and again so I'll probably get this one. 

I'll wait on reviews for the card game from Square Enix, it has Yoko Taro on board so I expect the story is going to be some trippy yet amazing stuff, but I'll wait to see how it fares as a game because it can end up being fun like Nier Automata or some weird thing that isn't really fun to play through like Drakengard. 

I had no expectations for FE showing up here so no disappointment there. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I'm really quite tepid on Nintendo 64 stuff being on Switch. That's not what they should have focused on. The Wii over a decade ago already had all that stuff on virtual console. The Wii-u already had all that on virtual console. You know what those consoles didn't have? Gamecube games. You know what they should have arranged for the Switch? Gamecube games. Not Ocarina of Time, Star Wars 64 or Paper Mario, but Wind Waker, Star Fox Assault and Thousand Year Door.

All those things they so proudly announced they already announced years ago on other platforms. Now its time for them to finally include the things those other consoles didn't have, and which everyone really wants. Gamecube games. The more the better. 

Funny, I don't recall Banjo-Kazooie ever being released for Wii or Wii U. And since they're adding N64 games, they could very well add GCN games down the line as well. Though I wouldn't mind if more GCN games were remastered as has happened with The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Maybe a Star Fox Adventures remaster or remake?

So yeah, I'm stoked by the fact Banjo-Kazooie will be added to the online service at some point.

Kirby and the Forgotten Land was a big surprise. 3D Kirby is finally happening. The little pink puffball's come a long way since his humble beginnings on the Game Boy.

I'm surprised to hear Martinet won't be voicing Mario or Luigi in the film. I'm also surprised to hear Foreman Spike of all characters is going to be in there. And Jack Black as Bowser!? As in the guy who voiced Po in the Kung Fu Panda films!? Kevin Michael Richardson as Kamek will also be interesting to hear, as most would associate Kamek with a high-pitched screechy voice as opposed to the kind of deep bass spoken by the likes of Gantu and Panthro. But Richardson has voiced a wizard before, Uncle Oswidge of Dave the Barbarian. I'm interested to see what kind of plot involves Donkey Kong and Cranky Kong mixed in with the usual Mario cast.

5 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

Funny, I don't recall Banjo-Kazooie ever being released for Wii or Wii U. And since they're adding N64 games, they could very well add GCN games down the line as well.

That's what I guessed with both the Wii and Wii-u but I guessed wrong. Seems they just don't want to do it. Maybe for technical reasons or that it being more comparable to modern games makes it easier to just remake them and ask full price. 

Well Bayonetta 3  made my week and it looks like it will be just s good as the first 2.  Other then that nothing much I'm interested in. but one game to look forward to is enough for me.

Chris Pratt as Mario

Ahem, anyway, I would say that was a pretty solid direct. Castlevania Gameboy Advance Collection was true (and I'm excited!), the first 3D Kirby since Air Ride (if you count that), Age of Calamity DLC (FINALLY), and various other things that have already been mentioned. 

Bayonetta 3 had me thinking it was either Astral Chain 2 or Xenoblade Chronicles 3 in the first half (it had the Xenoblade font in the subtitles, too, fr).

First impressions in spoilers for length.

Spoiler

Monster Hunter Rise DLC
-- I still need to get through Generations Ultimate, and I don't need to get the latest MH installments anyway. Looks cool, but is way low on my priority list.

Mario Party Superstars
-- As an old-school Mario Party fan (1-7, DS), seeing this title makes me somewhat happy. It's just a shame all the boards got shrunk down during their re-imagining, but I guess that's more casual friendly...

Voice of the Cards
-- Looks like an interesting take on the tabletop genre. It reminds me a bit of Crimson Shroud. // It's on my list to look out for, although I doubt I'll get to it anytime soon.

Disco Elysium
-- I've heard good things about this game, although it seems I have initially confused the game with a different one. Disco Elysium looks interesting even if its an older title, so another one on the list for me.

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity DLC
-- I still have yet to get this version of HW, but I'm still interested. It's just the backlog...

Chocobo GP
-- Mario Kart and Diddy Kong Racing mixed with FF characters it looks like. While it may be an interesting time, I'll pass.

Kirby and the Forgotten Land
-- I honestly thought this was Splatoon related, but then they show Kirby!
-- Is this a 3D Kirby game, like an actual 3D Kirby game? I don't recall there being a proper 3D Kirby game (3D models on 2D plane, yes, but not actual 3D gameplay).
-- Man, I am way behind on my Kirby titles. This one looks great and I hope to play it when it releases!

Animal Crossing
-- Don't care much for AC, but I'm happy for those who do enjoy it.

Mario Golf: Super Rush
-- No time, but added to list since I enjoyed Wii Sports Golf.

Dying Light 1 & 2 Cloud Version
-- Pass.

Triangle Strategy
-- I never did get around to that demo earlier back in Feburary...
-- Looks like they may have been improvements. Let's see how that went.

Metroid Dread
-- I never got into Metroid outside of Fusion, but I'm happy for those who are excited for the game.

Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pass
-- Looks good with the N64 and Sega Genesis titles, although I am concerned about the additional pricing. That will determine if it's a "fair increase" for those putting in the work to port and have everything working, or if its just raising the price for profit's sake.

Shadowrun Collection
-- Huh, Shadowrun on the Switch. I've beaten Returns on PC, but never got around to the other ones.
-- Gonna remain on PC through because of mods.

Castlevania Advance Collection
-- This looks good. A part of me is sated from watching someone else do a Castlevania marathon through all the games, but if I ever wanted to play them myself this collection seems like a good start.

Actraiser Renaissance
-- I've heard things about this game and it looks interesting. Man, I need more time to play everything...

Mario Movie
-- ...The f*** is this? At first I was interested, but now it's just a bunch of Hollywood types in a Mario movie? I may get a kick out of Jack Black as Bowser, but I was not expecting this at all.
-- The news deflated my interest. I guess I'll just see from secondhand sources and from the eventual trailer to confirm my thoughts on this.
-- Must resist temptation to say Miyamoto should stay away from story elements...

Splatoon 3
-- Some look at the single player aspect of Splatoon 3. I enjoyed the previous two games and I'm sure to enjoy this one! // Also, nice to see Callie and Marie are still around.
-- I should go back and try to complete the other two though. While I beaten them, I have yet to fully get everything in their single-player modes.

Bayonetta 3
-- Figured it was this after seeing Platinum on one of the billboards. Looks great!
-- I still need to get around to the previous two games though...

...and no ending surprise, eh? Shame, but I guess Bayonetta 3 counts.

Welp, no Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, or Xenoblade news. A shame, but considering the main "focus" was supposed to be this year, I guess it makes sense not to cover them as the "teaser game slots" were already fulfilled by other categories (Bayonetta 3, Splatoon 3).
-- AW may get coverage closer to its release day in December, and other titles likely had priority over AW.

Overall, sorta indifferent about the whole thing. While some of the stuff showcased interests me, they were not "must-have day one" titles. The only thing that made me respond negatively was the Mario movie.
-- Man, they should've just hired the one fan-animator who did amazing Mario work on Flipnote to make a series. The style and story of that series was great, despite everything just being done on Flipnote Studio.

Overall, I'm happy about this Direct. The new Kirby eases my fears of franchise stagnancy, and I'll have to nab it. I would've liked certain announcements to happen, but I didn't mind, I wasn't expecting much in the first place. There was a variety of titles in different genres, with different release dates, and the presentation wasn't devoured by a Smash reveal. I'm happier to have a presentation that successfully caters to a wide audience, than one that catered specifically to me.

And more than the new Kirby, Rune Factory 5 is getting same-sex marriage added to it despite not having it initially in the Japanese release! That has made me smile with joy despite my depressingly death-fixed mind and has overwhelmed me with the silliness and happiness that allows to me momentarily forget my existence is finite. I haven't a clue who any of the spouses are, but I'll be hyped and in the mood to make love when March 22nd rolls around. (But ya know, I never did finally propose to my beloved in Friends of Mineral Town after 2 1/4 ingame years of play, I should fix that.)

The expansion for Monster Hunter Rise looks interesting. The base game had a very distinct Feudal Japan & Yokai theme to it, so this expansion having what looks to be a Medieval Europe look to it, and a monster that looks like a cross between a dragon and a vampire, is a very neat contrast. The fact that it was just a cinematic with no gameplay is a bit disappointing, but I suspect that Capcom will show that stuff off themselves in a future presentation.

A 3D Kirby game is all I wanted and needed. Assuming it will be released in the last week of April to his 30th anniversary.

Playing N64 games on Switch is a big bonus although I got a few games for Wii U's virtual console already. So I might have spent a bit money for the corpse.

Have not played the demo of Triangle Strategy yet, but since it looks very similar to Octopath Traveler, I'm not too excited in this right now, but who knows...

That alone made the Direct amazing for me!

Voice of the Cards and Kirby and the Forgotten Land were the two new announcements that caught my interest. Not super excited for either, but they're interesting enough for me to keep an eye on. I've somehow managaed to get to this point in my life without ever having played a Kirby game, but maybe this will end up being my first.

Triangle Strategy is a terrible name. Even worse than Octopath Traveler. I honestly thought that this time the working title was bad enough that it would force them to come up with a proper title rather than just saying "meh, good enough", but nope.

The Mario movie has a sad lack of female characters. I know there aren't exactly a ton of female characters to choose from in the source material, but nine characters and actors announced, and only one female character among them? I can maybe see why they wouldn't want to include multiple princesses, but why not Pauline, Toadette, or Birdo, for instance?

42 minutes ago, lenticular said:

Triangle Strategy is a terrible name. Even worse than Octopath Traveler. I honestly thought that this time the working title was bad enough that it would force them to come up with a proper title rather than just saying "meh, good enough", but nope.

I completely agree. At least the title Octopath Traveler had something vaguely reminiscent of a nice ring to it; Triangle Strategy just sounds extremely bland. At best, it sounds like a working title for a strategy RPG spinoff of The Legend of Zelda.

On 9/22/2021 at 10:53 AM, Zapp Branniglenn said:

I wouldn't bet money on it. Instead I'd rather get burned by predicting Bayonetta 3 for a third time. I can feel it, that game is out there.

Shout outs to this guy holding out hope. It looks exactly how it should. And I definitely called it out before the Astral Chain fake out. Can't wait for the kaiju battles. I defy the tastes of anybody that didn't pop off at the first shot of Kirby in 3D. While there doesn't seem to be a lot going on in the game from what we can see, I'm sure next year's reveals will give us all the details we need. Maybe co op too?

Act Raiser and the Castlevania collections look pretty amazing. I'm not too hot on a lot of other reveals though. KOTOR Remaster (?) is definitely strange. Especially with the remake having been announced just a couple weeks ago. The N64 and Genesis expansions to Switch Online might be good, but it's foreboding for them to say "we'll talk about pricing and restrictions at a later date." It definitely feels like they gave us the good news first, leaving the bad news for the press release. I had long given up on them doing more after the SNES, so I should be happy that there's a future for retro games on switch, but my heart was hoping for something unique like the virtual boy. Something to set the system apart from the still-superior days of the Virtual Console.

The Mario movie cast list is kind of...yikes. Definitely a mad grab for the most expensive talent that would say yes. I think a lot about how the Pokemon and Sonic movies didn't spring for big name actors despite being in Live action. And they're modest successes. This is an animated film, those faces your paying for aren't doing anything beyond their name. I'll begrudgingly admit Charlie Day for Luigi is probably brilliant, though. What the heck are Donkey Kong and Cranky Kong doing in the movie anyway? Is this low key a Donkey Kong Country film? Or will there be flashback scenes to the origins of Donkey Kong and Jumpman, and then when we flash forward that DK (who is now Cranky Kong) is recapping that story to freaking Seth Rogan.

Chocobo GP looks delightful. The Chocobo in the skates is just precious. Shiroma looks adorable too. And fan favorite Black Mage Vivi is on the roster. Furthermore, it looks like the game has a Diddy Kong Racing-esque power up system, where grabbing multiple items of the same kind gives you a stronger item.

2 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Chocobo GP looks delightful. The Chocobo in the skates is just precious. Shiroma looks adorable too. And fan favorite Black Mage Vivi is on the roster. Furthermore, it looks like the game has a Diddy Kong Racing-esque power up system, where grabbing multiple items of the same kind gives you a stronger item.

There was a Chocobo racing way back in like the PS1 era. I played the Hell out of it back then. I am unsure whether this is a remake or a new game, but that nostalgia nerve has been tickled.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

24 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Could baby Sidon be playable in the dlc? You see him lunge forward with a spear and later we see Revali say to someone we can't see ''You're pretty good for a kid''

Unlikely. There's only one more unrevealed character according to the DLC banner, and it's probably Astor.

16 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

TBH, the whole season pass seems so far below what they've done with other licensed musou games. 

Its definitely weird that it took almost a full year before any substantial dlc came to BOTW Warriors. All the more so because it was apparently the best selling Warriors game in a long time. Its especially strange when comparing it to the original Hyrule Warriors which got almost endless love and attention from Koei.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

11 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Its definitely weird that it took almost a full year before any substantial dlc came to BOTW Warriors. All the more so because it was apparently the best selling Warriors game in a long time. Its especially strange when comparing it to the original Hyrule Warriors which got almost endless love and attention from Koei.

I'll be honest. I just want them to be done with it. The demo was deceptively good, but the end product is structured too similarly to Warriors All Stars for my liking. 

I hope they move onto new games soon. They've got the end of AoC's announced dlc this year. They have the bloody awful looking DW9 Empires this year or early next. And they've got Touken Ranbu Musou (Feb 22 Japan/May 24 West). So they'll have a clean slate coming on FEW's 5th anniversary in September of next year.

As part of the Custom Robo community, someone on our discord pointed out that Switches set to JPN region have a slightly different library and that we could start doing online play of the n64 Custom Robo game through this.

Also disapointed that the New Mario Party  doesn't keep the map specific costumes when playing on the Mario Party 2 maps