Triangle Strategy Thread

Corrobin

The game is coming out 04/03/2022!

They're listening to some of our demo criticisms and adding extra options and stuff.

Also, side note, I noticed Hughette (Not!Chocobo rider) has a different title/class than the demo. There, it was 'Scout' but here it's "Flier Master", so there is probably some sort of promotion/class system going on.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/23/2021 at 7:53 PM, Corrobin said:

The game is coming out 04/03/2022!

Using the European dating format to make me think that this game is coming out 30 days after its actual release? You have gone to the one place I cannot follow!

...Ahem. The 4th of March, everybody. 

On 9/24/2021 at 3:34 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

I hope they updated the mages somewhat. Their extremely poor movement made them really hard to use. 

I'm kinda torn on the Mages. Like, I loved the Ice Mage's terrain effect (constructing ice blocks to limit enemy movement), but the actual magical attacks seemed to take too long to charge up. Mages can only deal solid damage once every couple turns - otherwise, they're underwhelming with physical weapons. Maybe the final game will have some magical weapons, allowing for solid combat outside of spells?

13 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I'm kinda torn on the Mages. Like, I loved the Ice Mage's terrain effect (constructing ice blocks to limit enemy movement), but the actual magical attacks seemed to take too long to charge up. Mages can only deal solid damage once every couple turns - otherwise, they're underwhelming with physical weapons. Maybe the final game will have some magical weapons, allowing for solid combat outside of spells?

Oh yeah. I kinda forget magic being finite. Oof. The poor mages really have the game conspiring against them.

The devs should probably avoid making the mages akin to the FE armor knights who Kaga probably suspected would be overpowered and thus struck them with multiple crippling weaknesses at the same time, which in turn leads to the consensus that armor knights are among the worst classes. 

3 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

The way I feel about TS mages is the same way I feel about Langrisser ones. They won't be your primary damage dealers, but when they are useful, they're really useful.

Extra movement to ensure they're there when they need to do their job would be much appreciated.

I wouldn't be surprised to see movement-boosting options (like a "Stride" technique, or a March Ring-style equippable) in the full game. Perhaps we'll get cavalry or flying mages, too. One can hope, at least!

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Oh yeah. I kinda forget magic being finite. Oof. The poor mages really have the game conspiring against them.

The devs should probably avoid making the mages akin to the FE armor knights who Kaga probably suspected would be overpowered and thus struck them with multiple crippling weaknesses at the same time, which in turn leads to the consensus that armor knights are among the worst classes. 

Magic uses aren't finite, per se, so much as they require a few turns to charge. And that is an interesting metaphor to draw. Maybe some later magical techniques will be exceptionally strong, thus balancing against the class weaknesses? I'm hoping they'll wind up better than their Demo performance. 

I feel like what we've seen about magic users is limited by the fact that we haven't really seen the environmental effects much. We'll know more when we can play around with maps with, say, water to evaporate with fire/freeze with water/shock with lightning, and terrain like that and so forth.

On 10/3/2021 at 11:38 AM, Corrobin said:

I feel like what we've seen about magic users is limited by the fact that we haven't really seen the environmental effects much. We'll know more when we can play around with maps with, say, water to evaporate with fire/freeze with water/shock with lightning, and terrain like that and so forth.

Even the bit with Falkelands had something with the burnable wheat, as well as the Shaman having the ability to summon rain which could effect her lightning spells (it spread through watery terrain) and then the Ice mage had some interaction with ice tiles if I recall correctly.. I hope they do more from there that's for sure.

I'm optimistic. The game looks gorgeous, and hearing that the speed of the game has been increased is good, since that was one of the sticking points I had in the demo. Otherwise, I had no issues with the gameplay.

Looks to be an interesting game all around. Will pick it up day one.

• 4 months later...

…And it still has that terrible name?! Octopath Traveller was fine because it had a decent ring to it; "Triangle Strategy" is just bad, and should've only been its project name. But, then again, this is what to expect from the team that called the most recent Bravely Default game Bravely Default 2 when there already was a second Bravely Default game.

Anyway, I missed out on the first demo that was meant for testing the gameplay, but I'll probably try the new demo.

The combat feels good and sort of dynamic. It has one of the most casual-friendly feature, you can actually retreat at any point and still retain your exp/levels that you gained during the battle. In chapter 3 I got gang-up and lost most of my units, I wanted to see if I can load earlier save and found the retreat option, it takes you back to battle preparation page.

But the story is really long and exposition/filler-ish. I tried to read them all but after chapter 2 I gave up and just skipped ahead. And the fact that mine is English voiceover with Chinese words doesn't help since I keep noticing the differences in translation (it is annoying and sometimes confusing). Might try to see if I can change it in the setting.

Requiring item to promote your unit has always been a terrifying feature for a hoarder like me, like how would I know I use it on the right unit 1st without doing 30 minutes research on the internet. It happened in 3 Houses and it will likely happen here again if I do get the game.

I´m at the choice between salty church and meritocratic mountain it would seem, but so far:

Magic seems pretty weak, damage wise, maybe it´s my usage of Frederica though: Scorch just seems weak as shit, even when keeping in mind it´s an AOE, not to mention I considered myself luckss if I was in a position to even hit 2 enemies. Also, please, for the love of god, replace the tome bonk with a 1-2 range single target spell and let it cost one ability point. That alone would be such an upgrade.

I do wonder what they meant when they said upgrades get more expensive the later you get them - i upgraded Annas daggers and the next upgrade would cost, I think, 6 Iron from 2 before. I sure hope the main campaign will offer the ressources required so you don´t have to do the m e n t a l battles.

Ranged attacks shouldn´t trigger these paired attacks methinks.

Anna strong.

Salt church gives you an ice mage who actually interacts with the whole 'elements affect the battlefield' stuff: He freeze tiles he attacks, and people on or going through them get debuffed (friend or foe). Frederica's fire spells can then melt the ice, which makes water that is then effected by electrical magic.

Mountain meritocracy gives you a non-flying archer.

Well this was certainly a very text heavy demo. Fortunately I was interesting with what they had to tell, but perhaps a more breezy start would be more helpfull in a demo.

At any rate I went to both routes and I think Salt church was the good course to go. I found the story to be more interesting and I thought their map was a good one to get used to the game.

I was surprised that the mountain merritocracy map was a lot harder in comparison. Blinding arrows and provoke allowed me to get through it, but it was certainly a step up difficulty wise with you being surounded on all sides.

I'm also looking forward to see how much more mustache twirly all those npc portraits will end up being.

On 2/11/2022 at 6:47 PM, Corrobin said:

Mountain meritocracy gives you a non-flying archer.

How does he play? Any noteworthy skills?

Asking as I wanted to keep playing with the file I had but am curious about the guy who wasn't in the first demo if I recall correctly.

I was pretty excited for Triangle Strategy from the trailers, but this prologue demo has been kind of disappointing. The story parts just drag on without saying much that's actually interesting, there's no good balance between story and battle segments.

I also wish there was more in the way of unit customisation. As it is, it looks like all you get to do is choose which weapon skills to upgrade in what order, but there's no class changes/promotion options, no skill tree, and a very limited equipment system. It all seems kind of simplified for a casual audience?

Quick question as someone who has yet to play the demo: what is saving like in this game? I feel that strategy RPGs, due to their slower pace, really need to allow the player to save at any point. I'm not a fan of how FE games tend to limit saving, with the most generous of them offering a suspend-save during battle, while I really like how games like Valkyria Chronicles allow the player to save at any point and have a ton of save files.

10 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Quick question as someone who has yet to play the demo: what is saving like in this game? I feel that strategy RPGs, due to their slower pace, really need to allow the player to save at any point. I'm not a fan of how FE games tend to limit saving, with the most generous of them offering a suspend-save during battle, while I really like how games like Valkyria Chronicles allow the player to save at any point and have a ton of save files.

It's more akin to later FE games than what I remember of Valkyria. You can save pretty much anytime that's not actively in battle. I think the auto-save does activate every turn within a battle, but my experience on that front is very limited. 

I had no problem saving before a dialogue choice and redoing the dialogue choice if I felt like I messed up. But the opening credits (the Square Enix/Criware/etc) stuff took up more time than I would have liked though, so it made me feel bad for resetting when I needed to. But that's a me thing. 

29 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

It's more akin to later FE games than what I remember of Valkyria. You can save pretty much anytime that's not actively in battle. I think the auto-save does activate every turn within a battle, but my experience on that front is very limited. 

I had no problem saving before a dialogue choice and redoing the dialogue choice if I felt like I messed up. But the opening credits (the Square Enix/Criware/etc) stuff took up more time than I would have liked though, so it made me feel bad for resetting when I needed to. But that's a me thing. 

I see. Thanks for the info.