Triangle Strategy Thread

Corrobin

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Its honestly kinda worse about it. Because enemy level and damage gets increased but the reward for your maps don't. So you could use some powerful healing items and the money and healing items you get from it are about 800 gold and 1 minor healing pellet for the first few chapters. So you have to spend more money on healing items while probably also having to use em a bit more than you're used to. Not cripplingly so and all your money carries over too but early game NG+ isn't good with healing items. 

Honestly, level shouldn't have carried over. It makes the first map a pain. No matter what, one of the characters you're forced to deploy is gonna be underleveled due to endgame shenanigans, and I hadn't used Benedict since he was level 9.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And its all down here from there with Roland. The longer the game goes on the worse he gets. He's well written about it but definitely an A grade prick.

I see Roland as someone that's incredibly lost and traumatized and will do anything to end the conflict to the point that he's not able + willing to think things through. I'd argue Benedict is arguably the most selfish character in the game and is also a prick yet I still really enjoy his character. I honestly quite like all 4 of the main characters and I like how both Roland and Benedict are written to have unlikable traits though I wish they'd expand more on the personalities of the other characters (not even the recruits). Geela's personality is non existent. 

Edited by zuibangde

I'm not sure I actually like the idea of a golden ending. The two endings(not yours Roland) seem to be decent and interesting enough to stand on their own, and I suspect the drawbacks in both mainly exist to sell you on the idea of a golden ending.

I don't know if the game's developers actually consider it a golden ending; I just know that guides/walkthroughs and TV Tropes refer to it as a golden ending, likely not knowing what else to call a secret fourth ending.

3 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Honestly, level shouldn't have carried over. It makes the first map a pain. No matter what, one of the characters you're forced to deploy is gonna be underleveled due to endgame shenanigans, and I hadn't used Benedict since he was level 9.

Yeah the first chapter was kinda rough. Luckily Geela was the underleveled one so the fighters could carry her

3 hours ago, zuibangde said:

I see Roland as someone that's incredibly lost and traumatized and will do anything to end the conflict to the point that he's not able + willing to think things through. I'd argue Benedict is arguably the most selfish character in the game and is also a prick yet I still really enjoy his character. I honestly quite like all 4 of the main characters and I like how both Roland and Benedict are written to have unlikable traits though I wish they'd expand more on the personalities of the other characters (not even the recruits). Geela's personality is non existent. 

To some extend but I think Roland's also secretly selfish about it that despite his pretensions about it being for the good of all its primarily good for him. Its a route that allows him to both flee from his responsibilities while still giving him his chance for revenge. 

I always thought Geela was supposed to be a bit of a Benedict light. Playing devils advocates for the more ruthless options not because she enjoys it but because she hopes it might limit harm. Advising to give up Roland so that the citizens aren't harmed or peddling salt because its very risky to try and expose a saint. That said she's easily the least colorful personality among the inner circle. 

So I'm debating who's worth grinding up to try out on new game+. How big is Ezana on weather effects? Frederica gets a damage bonus from clear weather so I'd rather not use her if too much of her deal is changing the weather.

My other benched units are circus girl, merchant guy, bloody shield, barmaid troubadour, medic girl, and... that's all I can remember off the top of my head that I recruited and benched after getting them. Anyone in that list who's worth giving a second chance?

Edited by Alastor15243

I think Ezana's considered among the better mages since lightning is such a useful element. Even without puddles she can nuke enemies well enough. Medic girl is regarded as pretty broken so she's worth investing in. The barkeeper seems....honestly kinda terrible. She's not a particularly great healer and her heals don't have range, and she's too frail to use in direct combat. Its a shame because she's got a great design. 

I'd invest in a solid B team since the golden route involves using the vast majority of your roster. 

Does anyone else dislike the spoils system? I think they were going for a risk/reward system, but for me, it's just annoying, especially with an enemy drops spoils that I have no way of getting to before an enemy unit does. Perhaps it would help if, when an enemy unit retrieves spoils, defeating that enemy would guarantee to drop those spoils, rather than those spoils disappearing forever.

Edited by vanguard333

16 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think Ezana's considered among the better mages since lightning is such a useful element. Even without puddles she can nuke enemies well enough. Medic girl is regarded as pretty broken so she's worth investing in. The barkeeper seems....honestly kinda terrible. She's not a particularly great healer and her heals don't have range, and she's too frail to use in direct combat. Its a shame because she's got a great design. 

I'd invest in a solid B team since the golden route involves using the vast majority of your roster. 

Lightning's nice due to the paralysis but I agree that using both her "using a turn to change weather" gimmick is not only problematic from an action economy point of view (damage now is almost always better than damage later) but also from crowding out Frederica's clear-skies bonus. I've been using her but she feels like one of my weakest units overall, unless I'm missing something.

I've been pretty happy with Hossabarra on the other hand? She's not a particularly exceptional healer as you noted, so I wouldn't use her as a primary one, but as s secondary one she works well enough, because she has respectable (not outstanding, but standard fighter level) damage and she can push, which I find very useful in a variety of ways. (Hint: it works on bosses, and fall damage is percentage-based...)

...I just realized that nearly every mage in the game has a titanic personal beef with Hyzante.

Spoiler

Narve: They unperson'd his amazing grandfather.

Ezana: They persecuted her as a witch.

Corentin: Smothered by their corrupt, authoritarian academia and lost a friend as a result.

Frederica: Take a goddamned guess.

5 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

To some extend but I think Roland's also secretly selfish about it that despite his pretensions about it being for the good of all its primarily good for him. Its a route that allows him to both flee from his responsibilities while still giving him his chance for revenge. 

I agree that Roland's definitely selfish too. However, I feel like Roland's reasoning for being selfish is a bit more understandable than Benedict's. Granted, Roland's decision is quite extreme and it is basically impossible for players to agree with him. 

4 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

So I'm debating who's worth grinding up to try out on new game+. How big is Ezana on weather effects? Frederica gets a damage bonus from clear weather so I'd rather not use her if too much of her deal is changing the weather.

My other benched units are circus girl, merchant guy, bloody shield, barmaid troubadour, medic girl, and... that's all I can remember off the top of my head that I recruited and benched after getting them. Anyone in that list who's worth giving a second chance?

I actually find Ezana to be more useful than Frederica. Her main attack hits hard (I think second hardest hitting mage after Frederica) and has the chance to paralyze enemies which is honestly super useful.  When she makes it rain, her lightning attacks spread to anyone that's standing in the puddle and I've been able to paralyze multiple enemy units with one strike this way. The downside is that the puddle formation is random and your own units are not immune to being hit and paralyzed.

Medina will seem underwhelming at first but when she unlocks a certain skill, she becomes healer + TP battery in one and she's probably the best healer in the game. 

3 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I've been pretty happy with Hossabarra on the other hand? She's not a particularly exceptional healer as you noted, so I wouldn't use her as a primary one, but as s secondary one she works well enough, because she has respectable (not outstanding, but standard fighter level) damage and she can push, which I find very useful in a variety of ways. (Hint: it works on bosses, and fall damage is percentage-based...)

I think the problem with Hossabara is that everything she can do, others can do it better. She's arguably the worst character for healing due to low healing + not being able to heal herself (Giovanna might be the worst healer but I don't think people bring her expecting her to heal anyways; it's more of a bonus when the conditions are right). As for knockback, Erador, Roland and Rudolph all can push enemies off. Roland and Rudolph's damage output is very high and Erador is the best tank in the game. I've heard her weapon skill is game changing though but I haven't unlocked it for myself to see. 

Edited by zuibangde

3 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

I think the problem with Hossabara is that everything she can do, others can do it better. She's arguably the worst character for healing due to low healing + not being able to heal herself (Giovanna might be a worst healer but I don't think people bring her for her healing capabilities anyways; it's more of a bonus when the conditions are right). As for knockback, Erador, Roland and Rudolph all can push enemies off. Roland and Rudolph's damage output are very high and Erador is the best tank in the game. I've heard her weapon skill is game changing though but I haven't unlocked it for myself to see. 

Erador is good, but having multiple people who can push is never a bad thing (same with having multiple people who can heal, for that matter). And of course, when it comes to reaching key targets to push them, the extra move is nice.

Roland I benched pretty quickly (long before I started to dislike the character, for the record!); consistently found him the least useful of the original eight. Couldn't do anything without being close to enemies and kinda squishy is not a good combination, no particularly valuable utility like status and such (at least early; compare Erador's fury, Anna's poison, and Hughette's blind). I didn't promote him so if he gets better later, fair enough.

The units I've found most effective overall are probably Anna and Hughette. Anna's just amazingly flexible; double actions mean she has the highest damage potential, but just her ability to use multiple items/buffs/status effects (poison, invisible, sleep later) is incredibly versatile as well. Hughette just goes where she wants, shoots who she wants, and contains problem enemies with blind/immobilize. Unit with both high mobility and high threat range is good in a strategy RPG, how shocking.

15 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

I actually find Ezana to be more useful than Frederica. Her main attack hits hard (I think second hardest hitting mage after Frederica) and has the chance to paralyze enemies which is honestly super useful.

Paralyse is cool (though if you have Narve, how do you feel about him? I kinda feel like his added spells are more useful than Ezana's weather effects) and I can see the case for this until Frederica gets her "defeat and gain TP" ability, which just lets her steamroll in self-sustaining fashion without attaching TP buffing to her at all times. Since she got that Frederica easily took over as the best mage in my eyes, even though she only has one element.

31 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Roland I benched pretty quickly (long before I started to dislike the character, for the record!); consistently found him the least useful of the original eight. Couldn't do anything without being close to enemies and kinda squishy is not a good combination, no particularly valuable utility like status and such (at least early; compare Erador's fury, Anna's poison, and Hughette's blind). I didn't promote him so if he gets better later, fair enough.

Roland is definitely the weakest of the Core 8 since he's designed as a glass cannon. Unfortunately for him, there are other glass cannons are able to strike from a distance or can sustain themselves without dying in a few hits (so they're not really glass cannons, just straight up better units lol).  Added to his already low defense, he has the added bonus of being weak to spears which is just...sad. Roland is now level 42 for me and I find that he's actually better than he was during the 30s as he won't die in 2 hits (arguably the worst levels for him because he's squishy + damage output isn't so high that it's worth deploying him). 

I'd still recommend using Roland though because depending on your choices, he might be required to be deployed on maps even in mid to late game. As he's already squishy, being underleveled means he'd easily get sniped! 

31 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Paralyse is cool (though if you have Narve, how do you feel about him? I kinda feel like his added spells are more useful than Ezana's weather effects) and I can see the case for this until Frederica gets her "defeat and gain TP" ability, which just lets her steamroll in self-sustaining fashion without attaching TP buffing to her at all times. Since she got that Frederica easily took over as the best mage in my eyes, even though she only has one element.

I haven't used Narve that much (I'm still trying to level him up so my experience of him is limited to mental battles). For my first run I primarily used Ezana and Corentin but from what I see so far, he's kinda an 'all-in-one' mage without the high damage output. I do think his diverse utility is pretty useful though and will play with him more in the future. 

In the end, i think all four mages are pretty good and all bring something to the table and it's entirely up to your play style to choose who to use. I personally think Corentin is the best mage  (decent damage output, freezing the ground, silence, crowd control, shield that gives immunity.+ counter, Disney TP on Ice). Despite not having 1 TP skills, I find that pairing him with Julio (and his TP on ice passive) pretty much 'fixes' the issue. 

Edited by zuibangde

17 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

In the end, i think all four mages are pretty good and all bring something to the table and it's entirely up to your play style to choose who to use. I personally think Corentin is the best mage  (decent damage output, freezing the ground, silence, crowd control, shield that gives immunity.+ counter, Disney TP on Ice). Despite not having 1 TP skills, I find that pairing him with Julio (and his TP on ice passive) pretty much 'fixes' the issue. 

Yeah agreed. Ironically Corentin is the only one I benched, but I definitely look forward to trying him on a future run.

Hm, nobody is above Level 26 for me and I feel like the game is close to over! Is Level 42 a NG+ thing, or do we have vastly different levels for some other reason?

13 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Yeah agreed. Ironically Corentin is the only one I benched, but I definitely look forward to trying him on a future run.

Hm, nobody is above Level 26 for me and I feel like the game is close to over! Is Level 42 a NG+ thing, or do we have vastly different levels for some other reason?

Oh yeah it's NG+ as the levels carry over and the enemies' levels also adjust accordingly.

Funny (and sad story) is that because I didn't use Frederica, Geela and Roland much in my first run, I actually couldn't beat the first map in NG+ on Normal and had to change the difficulty to very easy...😅

Probably one of the better design choices for this game is the leveling system so even though some units were super neglected, I'm able to get them up to speed after a few mental battles. Also, no unit is so horrible that they're not worth using (unlike FE) so I'm having fun experimenting with units that I didn't use in the first run. Not being able to rely on some of the MVPs in my first run is also a fun challenge.

I feel like with how the abilities are designed, there are certain units that have to be deployed together as a pair/group though if you want to get the most out of them.

Edited by zuibangde

I just started chapter 5, and I unlocked both the sage Narve and the smith Jens. One thing I can say is that I'm guessing that the writers for Jen's recruitment story weren't expecting players to unlock him at the beginning of chapter 5, since Aesfrost's invasion has only just started, yet Jen's story acts as if it's been happening for a while.

2 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

New game plus says the sundry shop will tell me what I need to do to unlock characters, but I'm on Chapter 4 and no option for that has shown up yet. Am I doing something wrong?

The feature shows up after the mine chapter....for some reason. 

Regarding Roland

Spoiler

At first I was amazed that he went there, but looking back, it definitely makes sense. Roland's arc is a downwards spiral. I have to give kudos to the game for taking the "screw up young prince" type of character and not making him magically become the model leader as he usually would've. Quite the opposite, his inexperience and unfitness to rule only becomes more and more glaring as the game goes, and it all culminates in him making the worst possible choice out of his insecurity and self-destructiveness. It's an interesting direction for a character like him to take.

Regarding Ezana

She's my favorite mage, honestly. Sure, she's kind of a one-trick pony, but her one trick is so good. Spark deals a billion damage and her paralysis rate is incredibly high. Making it rain allows her to make spark even more broken. It does cost a turn, but it lasts for a whole five turns, which is pretty nice. And... Okay, I know this is a shallow reason, but I love the aesthetics of rain on the battlefield, so for that alone I appreciate her as well.

Other than Ezana, some favorites of mine would be...

• For starters, Benedict. I love Benedict, he's my most deployed character for a reason! His support utility is unparalleled. Love how he's basically the "dancer" of the game, to speak in FE terms. And the fact that he fights with a cane sword is just wonderful.
  • I love Hossabara too. She deals big damage and pushes things back. Plus, I'm partial to her character design.
  • Lionel is hilarious, even if I hate how unreliable his tempting is.
  • Archibald is a way more fun archer than his movement would suggest, his damage is through the roof.
  • Same for Rudolph, who also gets those traps of his, I enjoyed setting enemies up to waste their turns with that.
  • Picoletta is a huge meme and I'm fond of her just for that.
  • Of the main eight, Anna is of course fun, though I don't find her as utterly broken as everyone seems to think she is. Still, attacking twice is definitely a big boon.
  • Hughette I underused at the beginning, afraid she'd abandon me if I screwed Roland over, but when I did finally lose that fear, she put in a lot of work as a debuffer.

Just a few mentions, but honestly, I at least like pretty much everyone. Unit design is one of the highlights of this game, in my humble opinion. Just about everyone is so unique and fun to use.

18 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

I just started chapter 5, and I unlocked both the sage Narve and the smith Jens. One thing I can say is that I'm guessing that the writers for Jen's recruitment story weren't expecting players to unlock him at the beginning of chapter 5, since Aesfrost's invasion has only just started, yet Jen's story acts as if it's been happening for a while.

The timing of the character stories can be really weird sometimes. I mean, in my first run, Julio joined when

Spoiler

I was stuck in the Whiteholm bridge with enemies on both sides waiting for Maxwell to bring the boat. Serenoa and Erador just sort of teleported to the encampment to welcome this rando. Julio's backstory was also pretty hilariously timed. Apparently after escaping from Patriatte, he ran through the Aesfrosti army, made a beeline for the bridge and just happened to stumble into the Wolfforts and went "eh good enough." And, y'know... he then teleported to the encampment.

7 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

The game's first milestone is 800k units in 2 weeks. It's respectable, but I don't know if Square will be happy with that compared to Octopath's 1 million in 3 weeks. 

Isn't .8 million in 2 weeks faster than 1 million in 3?

9 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

The game's first milestone is 800k units in 2 weeks. It's respectable, but I don't know if Square will be happy with that compared to Octopath's 1 million in 3 weeks. 

It might be a drop, but consider that Triangle Strategy is in a much more niche genre than Octopath was. That it's come this close to a proper traditional JRPG is pretty good news for both TS itself and the SRPG genre in general, I'd say.

18 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Isn't .8 million in 2 weeks faster than 1 million in 3?

Maybe. It's hard to call. Sales figures aren't directly proportional to time. Sure, positive word of mouth can have a big effect, but most interested parties will either by something in the first few days, or at a discount.

It's strange to say but of any game or SRPG, this game reminds me most of a cross between Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2's combat but better balanced than either. I suppose Druidstone is another potential example, but Triangle Strategy is way more flexible and fun than Druidstone, definitely more fun to play with than pretty much any game that draws on the diorama aesthetic of FFT and TO.

On 3/17/2022 at 5:38 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

I always thought Geela was supposed to be a bit of a Benedict light. Playing devils advocates for the more ruthless options not because she enjoys it but because she hopes it might limit harm. Advising to give up Roland so that the citizens aren't harmed or peddling salt because its very risky to try and expose a saint. That said she's easily the least colorful personality among the inner circle. 

I actually thought Geela was the least moral person in the cast. She advocates the most ruthless options because it will limit harm to herself. She's not overtly colorful but fairly realistic in her cynicism. 

Edited by Neoleo21

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The timing of the character stories can be really weird sometimes. I mean, in my first run, Julio joined when

Hide contents

I was stuck in the Whiteholm bridge with enemies on both sides waiting for Maxwell to bring the boat. Serenoa and Erador just sort of teleported to the encampment to welcome this rando. Julio's backstory was also pretty hilariously timed. Apparently after escaping from Patriatte, he ran through the Aesfrosti army, made a beeline for the bridge and just happened to stumble into the Wolfforts and went "eh good enough." And, y'know... he then teleported to the encampment.

Funny, that exact timing happened with me for two characters (the medic and the juggler; I forget their names as I just recruited them).