Triangle Strategy Thread

Corrobin

Was trying to get the golden route, but missed it.

Spoiler

Didn't have enough... Liberty, I guess it is... at Chapter 10. Guess I'll have to actually micromanage my choices more on a future playthrough.

Oh well, another time. There's a second, non-golding ending I really wanted to see anyway, and this also lets me choose a choice in Chapter 15 I was interested in.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Was trying to get the golden route, but missed it.

Reveal hidden contents

Didn't have enough... Liberty, I guess it is... at Chapter 10. Guess I'll have to actually micromanage my choices more on a future playthrough.

Oh well, another time. There's a second, non-golding ending I really wanted to see anyway, and this also lets me choose a choice in Chapter 15 I was interested in.

Interesting. I found making the choice in that chapter extremely easy, but liberty and morality were very high.

For me, it was the previous chapter that nearly cost me the golden route:

Spoiler

Trying to convince everyone to transport the salt when my utility was almost pathetically low.

Personally, I think this game would've been better if the conviction values didn't matter when it came to persuading characters; it should've come down entirely to gathering the right info and choosing the correct dialogue options for persuasion. I also think it would've been better, both thematically and in gameplay, if the requirements for unlocking the golden route were all decisions the player made outside of the scales-of-conviction decisions, rather than just happening to pick the correct routes.

Anyway, I just beat part 3 of chapter 18 of the golden route.

Spoiler

Frederica's forces fight Kamsell at the Source before blowing up the statue to reveal the salt pillar. 

This chapter was probably the easiest one out of the three for me. There was plenty of space, so my units didn't get almost-instantly swarmed by enemies, the starting area on the map is fairly easy to defend (especially if you bring mages with lightning spells), The biggest threat, so long as you avoid having any of your units stand in the salt water, is Kamsell himself, and even then, he's not that bad.

Speaking of Kamsell, everything he does seems to be out of a genuine belief in the propaganda he's been fed all his life; his battle conversation with Frederica makes it painfully clear that he genuinely believes that the Roselle are better off at the Source. With that in mind, I'm kind-of disappointed that the characters just kill him; Gustadolph gets an elaborate execution scene that doubles as Svarog being crowned Archduke, and Exharme got a scene where Serenoa pleads with him to change sides only for it to fall on deaf ears as Exharme, despite sympathizing with their conviction and resolve, is far too arrogant. For Kamsell, I feel it would've been better for him to see the statue explode and the salt pillar be revealed right before his eyes; to see the ancient lie exposed plain as day in front of him. I'm not saying he should've switched sides; just have him live long enough to see the lie exposed.

I guess I'm rather used to modern cutscene-heavy games now, as the moment the statue was destroyed through an in-game cutscene where there isn't much of an explosion, my mind immediately created a pre-rendered cutscene where the bits of statue come down one-by-one. That's not a criticism of the game, just to be clear. If anything, just a recognition that this game's old-school approach comes with different strengths and weaknesses, especially in presentation.

Anyway, after the statue's blown up, Tenebris: the bizarre hooded member of the seven, shows up only to then get killed off-screen by the Roselle. Huh; and here I thought he'd get a boss fight...

Edited by vanguard333

I think the relative lack of fanfare Kamsell has compared to the likes of Gustadolph and Exharme is because ultimately he's more of a ''filler'' character. He's not the grand villain or the charismatic ''rival'' from Hyzante. He's just a saint to flesh out Hyzante's roster. Narratively I think he was always supposed to have a mostly supportive role. Exharme's deputy when he's on your side and just another boss when he's not. Kamsell has some narrative uses such as being an example of Hyzante warping good people into doing bad things but you could technically write him out without changing anything. 

Which isn't all bad. Kamsell has a relatively small role but he performs it well. We clearly get to know who he is, what he's about and how he differentiates himself from his fellow saints. Something his fellow saint Tenebris really doesn't have. 

Sadly I think both military saints are done kinda dirty in the golden route. Their stages and cutscenes are almost exactly the same as those you get during the Benedict or Frederica routes. This is especially a problem with Exharme since his grand finale is just him on a completely flat plane with only a tiny amount of troops to back him up. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

On 4/4/2022 at 2:25 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

I think the relative lack of fanfare Kamsell has compared to the likes of Gustadolph and Exharme is because ultimately he's more of a ''filler'' character. He's not the grand villain or the charismatic ''rival'' from Hyzante. He's just a saint to flesh out Hyzante's roster. Narratively I think he was always supposed to have a mostly supportive role. Exharme's deputy when he's on your side and just another boss when he's not. Kamsell has some narrative uses such as being an example of Hyzante warping good people into doing bad things but you could technically write him out without changing anything. 

Which isn't all bad. Kamsell has a relatively small role but he performs it well. We clearly get to know who he is, what he's about and how he differentiates himself from his fellow saints. Something his fellow saint Tenebris really doesn't have. 

Sadly I think both military saints are done kinda dirty in the golden route. Their stages and cutscenes are almost exactly the same as those you get during the Benedict or Frederica routes. This is especially a problem with Exharme since his grand finale is just him on a completely flat plane with only a tiny amount of troops to back him up. 

Spoiler

Yeah; he does come across as a less important character overall. I just think it would've been interesting to see his reaction to the salt pillar being exposed; at the very least, it could've given us more of an idea of how everyone in Hyzante is reacting to the salt pillar.

Yeah; funny enough, I guessed that Tenebris is probably the boss of a particular route, and I could not have been more wrong; apparently, he goes completely unfought in every single route.

Interesting. I haven't actually gotten to that battle yet; that's the next battle for me once I'm done levelling up my troops a bit through the mock battles. Can I just say: the level 30 mock battle in the mines is somehow a more annoying fight than the actual plot mission in those mines. I like the idea of the minecarts, but the missions in that area both stink.

EDIT: @Etrurian emperor

Spoiler

-I like Svarog but I really think making him the new Archduke wasn't an interesting choice. Gustadolph suddenly going ''lol no!'' when offered an alliance to achieve his goal of toppling Hyzante felt out of character and mostly there to make the ending more golden by virtue of the player not needing to dirty their hands by allying with Gustadolph. It felt a bit like pandering to the player by giving them both their Aesfrost alliance while also allowing Roland to avenge himself on Gustadolph. 

Spoiler

I thought it made perfect sense that Gustadolph refused Roland. He ultimately cares only for himself and, despite constantly spouting about freedom, he's a massive control freak; he does not like anyone having any leverage over him whatsoever, as shown when he assassinated Dragan and framed Glenbbrook for it in response to Dragan trying to use the salt crystals to blackmail him. When he hears Roland say that Glenbrook's plan is to distribute the salt crystals evenly across Norzelia, he immediately assumes that it's a scheme to hold Aesfrost in Glenbrook's debt, especially since it's Roland that's the one stating the plan, so of course he refuses.

I just completed chapter 19 of the golden route and I am midway through chapter 20.

Spoiler

Chapter 19 surprisingly wasn't hard. I thought it would be, with all the spear units (including spear cavalry) as well as reinforcements, but once I figured out a good team setup, it really wasn't too hard at all.

It's chapter 20 that's the annoying one; it calls for playing it relatively defensively, with there being a lot of enemies that can deal a lot of damage and with it being a map with buildings and such, but then it goes and gives shieldbearers trample (an attack that lets them pass through people while damaging those people) and it has multiple rogues who have an ability that basically gives them twice as many turns (and, unlike Anna, they can move twice), so any wall of strong units is going to fall. Ultimately, I whittled them down by using my best units for dealing a lot of damage to a lot of enemies at once: Frederica, Corentin, and Decimal.

Incidentally, Decimal has a unique battle conversation with the chapter boss: Lyla, which reveals that Lyla built him. Suddenly, Decimal's existence makes a lot more sense. 

Edited by vanguard333

I'm only double-posting because the forum won't let me edit my first post for some reason.

I finished chapter 20 of the golden route; now, only the last mission remains...

Spoiler

I mentioned that Decimal gets a unique conversation with Lyla; it's not the only character to have one; both Corentin and Milo have unique conversations as well.

One thing I find weird is that the conversation between Milo and Lyla implies that Milo is Lyla's junior (as in younger), but Lyla is young enough to have a kid that's nowhere near adulthood while, in another conversation, Milo says that she's a lot older than Anna, who herself has to be in her early thirties since she was found as an infant during the saltiron war. I suppose it's possible, but it would put Milo and Lyla at somewhere around their 40s, and neither of them strikes me as being that old.

Anyway, for the endgame, I know that this will somehow have to involve fighting Idore; he and/or the heirophant have to be the final boss. So, I want to make sure that everyone with personal reasons for fighting Idore would be on the team, as then I can see all the possible unique battle conversations... but I don't think the maximum number of units on the battlefield is enough for all of them; there's Decimal, Archibald, Narve, Milo, Frederica, and more; the list just doesn't end.

Spoiler

One thing I find weird is that the conversation between Milo and Lyla implies that Milo is Lyla's junior (as in younger), but Lyla is young enough to have a kid that's nowhere near adulthood while, in another conversation, Milo says that she's a lot older than Anna, who herself has to be in her early thirties since she was found as an infant during the saltiron war. I suppose it's possible, but it would put Milo and Lyla at somewhere around their 40s, and neither of them strikes me as being that old.

I think its easy to assume that Lyla's research has ways of keeping her looking young. She mentions that she's a personal friend of Symon so she must have served in the salt iron war in some capacity. 

However I think you and many others are having somewhat of a misconception about Anna. She was found as an infant during a fight between House Wolfford and their enemies but I don't think its every directly stated that this was during the saltiron war. What was directly stated was that these enemies were not Aesfrosti or Glenbrook soldiers(Wollford's enemies during the war) but a local bandit clan instead. Given Anna's design and voice, Milo's dialogue and Idore directly calling her a ''little girl'' I doubt she's in her 30's.

So, I want to make sure that everyone with personal reasons for fighting (redacted) would be on the team, as then I can see all the possible unique battle conversations... but I don't think the maximum number of units on the battlefield is enough for all of them; there's Decimal, Archibald, Narve, Milo, Frederica, and more; the list just doesn't end.

I'd say Ezana and timeboy are good candidates as well. Though I find the boss conversations ''Redacted'' has in Frederica's route more interesting since he's not drunk on power there. 

14 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I think its easy to assume that Lyla's research has ways of keeping her looking young. She mentions that she's a personal friend of Symon so she must have served in the salt iron war in some capacity. 

However I think you and many others are having somewhat of a misconception about Anna. She was found as an infant during a fight between House Wolfford and their enemies but I don't think its every directly stated that this was during the saltiron war. What was directly stated was that these enemies were not Aesfrosti or Glenbrook soldiers(Wollford's enemies during the war) but a local bandit clan instead. Given Anna's design and voice, Milo's dialogue and Idore directly calling her a ''little girl'' I doubt she's in her 30's.

I'd say Ezana and timeboy are good candidates as well. Though I find the boss conversations ''Redacted'' has in Frederica's route more interesting since he's not drunk on power there. 

That would make sense.

Ah; that makes sense. I'd have to watch the character story again to confirm, but you might be right about it not having been during the saltiron war.

I was definitely considering using Ezana as well. I do not have Quahaug on my team (unlocking him requires 1,600 utility, and utility is my lowest stat).

By the way, I recently replied to something you said a while back about Gustadolph's decision in the golden route.

I just completed the final mission of the golden route.

Spoiler

Not many days ago, I found myself thinking, "I remember the trailers for Octopath Traveller showed all the bosses becoming giant for some reason; neat that, for terrible name, they either showed restraint or thought it wouldn't fit the isometric layout", so of course I get to the last mission today and Idore turns into a gigantic humanoid monstrosity.

As for the fight itself, it really isn't hard, but it is very grueling, and not in a "you are being bombarded at every turn; be clever with your positioning" way, but in a "you are being bombarded at every turn; this mission will take you hours to complete" way. There are a decent number of puppets on the map, but the hierophant can summon a new puppet every turn, and Idore can summon a new hierophant every turn, and Idore creates a barrier around himself every turn.

Since it seemed like there could only be one hierophant at a time, I initially decided to do the following strategy:

1. deal with all the puppets on the map to keep the enemy numbers manageable.
  2. split into two teams: one to keep the hierophant away from Idore and chip away at its health (but not destroy it), and another to slowly chip at Idore's health.

That plan fell apart the moment that Idore took damage; on his next turn, he summoned a second hierophant. I ended up deciding to bring all my units together (while keeping Anna hidden and placed behind Idore to take down his barrier every second turn). The mission finally became manageable, but it would've taken me hours to complete (in fact, it already was), so I had to accelerate things by attacking Idore more often with my units, even at increased risk to said units. Fortunately, it paid off, and I was able to beat him quickly.

The epilogue was quite nice; I feel the game may have been a bit too blunt with the characters going, "The path I proposed was the wrong path, thank you, Serenoa, for finding a path we could all agree to", but outside of that, I can't really think of a more fitting end for the game than the golden ending. The game ending on Serenoa and Frederica's wedding was an especially nice moment.

I particularly liked that the end credits were skippable; I have played a lot of games where the end credits couldn't be skipped or fast-forwarded, so this game's end credits being skippable was a relief. 

Since I finished my playthrough, I suppose I should give my review of the game overall. I suppose the best way I could sum it up would be that it's very frustrating, yet at the same time very fun.

Now just to decide if I'm going to actually try new game+. Probably not, but I'm not usually one to try new game+.

Edited by vanguard333

I find the final golden route chapter surprisingly easy. The main baddy can't attack multiple units at once and that one particular enemy lacks her skill where she can almost oneshot any of your unit on the map which has more than 2 TP. Meanwhile the mooks were fairly weak.

Did timeboy show up in your ending picture? It would seem a bit random if you haven't recruited him, even if he rounds out a certain someone's arc. 

20 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I find the final golden route chapter surprisingly easy. The main baddy can't attack multiple units at once and that one particular enemy lacks her skill where she can almost oneshot any of your unit on the map which has more than 2 TP. Meanwhile the mooks were fairly weak.

Did timeboy show up in your ending picture? It would seem a bit random if you haven't recruited him, even if he rounds out a certain someone's arc. 

Yeah; it is surprisingly easy. That's the reason I said it was a lot more time-consuming than actually grueling. Something like chapter 7 if you choose to protect Roland without using the fire traps is properly grueling; this just felt designed to feel like a big fight by having a ton of enemies. 

However, that certain baddy unit does still have an attack where they can attack every unit within a really wide range that has at least 3TP, which was annoying since the healer I used in that mission was Medina. It's not as strong as the kind of attack that you were talking about, but it combined with there being two of that unit on the map made it really annoying at times.

Speaking of that baddy unit, Decimal had unique dialogue with it (well, really monologue since only Decimal speaks) that was rather neat.

Yeah; the kid is in the ending picture. I'm fortunate in that I knew who they were even though I hadn't recruited them. It's probably a case of the game's developers assuming that the player won't find the golden route on their first playthrough. The irony is that, the more I think about it, the more I think that, even if I hadn't already known about the golden ending, I probably still would've made the choices that I made. Yet another reason I think the golden ending should've been unlocked through decisions made in the story without the scales, rather than by just happening to pick the correct branches.

He's decent because his move isn't actually that low. Almost everyone has 4 move or 5 move, he's on the lower end of course but it's not some huge margin. And he is rather tanky and his AoE fury skill can be quite decisive, especially against magic users and others reliant on skills to do their damage, or against people he can run from (furied opponents aren't allowed to attack anyone but him, even if they can't reach him and can reach others). I don't think of him as one of the more game-breaking PCs but he's definitely solid.

14 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

He's decent because his move isn't actually that low. Almost everyone has 4 move or 5 move, he's on the lower end of course but it's not some huge margin. And he is rather tanky and his AoE fury skill can be quite decisive, especially against magic users and others reliant on skills to do their damage, or against people he can run from (furied opponents aren't allowed to attack anyone but him, even if they can't reach him and can reach others). I don't think of him as one of the more game-breaking PCs but he's definitely solid.

Interesting, so its not like FE where there's a fair amount of mounted/flying units for low mov infantry to compete with as well?

Do you mean Erador is on the lower end of the tier list or his movement is on the lower end of your units.

Incidentally skills similar to this game's version of provoke and sprint showed up in Berwick Saga, though the armored character didn't get either unless you count the Ballistician getting the sprint skill and instead got +1 on level 14.

39 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Interesting, so its not like FE where there's a fair amount of mounted/flying units for low mov infantry to compete with as well?

Do you mean Erador is on the lower end of the tier list or his movement is on the lower end of your units.

There's zero cavalry tanks and only one flying tank: Flanagan Grutte, and Flanagan, in my experience, isn't a very good unit.

I believe they're referring to his movement, which is 4 tiles and thus is on the lower end but still fairly normal.

57 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

There's zero cavalry tanks and only one flying tank: Flanagan Grutte, and Flanagan, in my experience, isn't a very good unit.

I believe they're referring to his movement, which is 4 tiles and thus is on the lower end but still fairly normal.

It sounds like there are cavalry units, its just they aren't very durable, correct?

So its sounds like Erador's deal is more like regular infantry units compared to mounted units in FE?

What makes the flying tank bad for reference's sake?

8 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

So for those whom have played the game how is Erador, the low MOV tank? I know he has a provoke skill and a hurry skill, but what high movement units does have to compete with? How does he fare overall?

Oh he’s great. Your units are fairly frail so he’s very valuable to soak up damage. He’s especially great with his final skill that renders him invincible for a full turn

8 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

It sounds like there are cavalry units, its just they aren't very durable, correct?

So its sounds like Erador's deal is more like regular infantry units compared to mounted units in FE?

Correct. Roland is the main cavalry unit and he's more of a glass cannon. There's also a cavalry healer that, being a healer, is rather frail, and there's a flying archer named Hughette who is supposed to rain down arrows on enemies from a safe location.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Admittedly, I didn't use the flying tank too much, so take all this with a grain of salt, but he can only provoke one enemy at a time, he can't counterattack, and he has surprisingly low movement for a flying unit. Him being a flying unit also means he's weak against arrows.

9 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Neither cavalry unit is super durable, but they're also just not as much more mobile than cavalry are than armours in FE. The gap between Paladin and General is 3-5 move in most Fire Emblems, Erador only has 1-2 less move than cavalry in this game. The game just has a small movement curve.

Although the flying archer is kinda busted anyway IMO, because the combination of even just 5 move + flight + long range + debilitating status is very good.

2 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Although the flying archer is kinda busted anyway IMO, because the combination of even just 5 move + flight + long range + debilitating status is very good.

Yeah; Hughette is definitely a great unit.

By the way, what's your opinion on the other flying unit, Flanagan?

Flanagan was "joins late and I was already happy with my team". As a flier I thought he seemed potentially interesting but none of the maps after I got him on the route I chose really rewarded fliers.

Spoiler

I also got him shortly after I decided to be friends with Aesfrost in Benedict's route, so his recruitment was amusingly tone-deaf.

9 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Correct. Roland is the main cavalry unit and he's more of a glass cannon. There's also a cavalry healer that, being a healer, is rather frail, and there's a flying archer named Hughette who is supposed to rain down arrows on enemies from a safe location.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Admittedly, I didn't use the flying tank too much, so take all this with a grain of salt, but he can only provoke one enemy at a time, he can't counterattack, and he has surprisingly low movement for a flying unit. Him being a flying unit also means he's weak against arrows.

Well there's a small gap between armored units and infantry units in FE, but there's an even larger gap between armored units and mounted units, whom usually have 3 or 4 mov more than infantry which armored units are already before.

It sounds like provoke is a very powerful skill.

9 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Neither cavalry unit is super durable, but they're also just not as much more mobile than cavalry are than armours in FE. The gap between Paladin and General is 3-5 move in most Fire Emblems, Erador only has 1-2 less move than cavalry in this game. The game just has a small movement curve.

Interesting, so its more like FE Heroes where cavalry units have 1 more than infantry and two more than armored units?

Flannegan is a pretty okay unit for when you're not in the mood to bring Erador but he also brings very little to the table that Erador can't also do. What I found weird that for such an imposing fellow he actually does very little damage. 

I took him along a couple of times and he never did particularly poorly. 

Aside from also being among the worst persons in the army Roland is also one of the worse units. He's just far too frail and doesn't even do that much damage for a glass canon. Having an innate weakness to spears isn't so bad because barely any enemy uses a spear, but it fits with a bad pattern for Roland in that he only has drawbacks and very little strengths. 

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Flannegan is a pretty okay unit for when you're not in the mood to bring Erador but he also brings very little to the table that Erador can't also do. What I found weird that for such an imposing fellow he actually does very little damage. 

I took him along a couple of times and he never did particularly poorly. 

Aside from also being among the worst persons in the army Roland is also one of the worse units. He's just far too frail and doesn't even do that much damage for a glass canon. Having an innate weakness to spears isn't so bad because barely any enemy uses a spear, but it fits with a bad pattern for Roland in that he only has drawbacks and very little strengths. 

Huh; and here I thought Flanagan having poor damage was just me being unable to upgrade his shield. Good to know that he just had low damage in general.

As for Roland, I actually found him quite useful overall. His good mobility is useful even if not as useful as that of his bodyguard Hughette, and while his damage output isn't great, his standard attack and most of his abilities have the potential to hit multiple enemies at once. Plus, though it comes extremely late in the game and costs a lot of TP, he does gain an ability that completely ignores enemy defense. His fragility is definitely a problem that keeps him from being a good unit, but I wouldn't say he's a bad unit or even one of the worse units.

22 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Flanagan was "joins late and I was already happy with my team". As a flier I thought he seemed potentially interesting but none of the maps after I got him on the route I chose really rewarded fliers.

Reveal hidden contents

I also got him shortly after I decided to be friends with Aesfrost in Benedict's route, so his recruitment was amusingly tone-deaf.

I see. The "joins late and already happy with my team" was my problem with him as well. Of course, it meant that I didn't train him, so, when the team-split in the golden route happened, I suddenly found myself having to train him.

On 4/10/2022 at 5:43 PM, Emperor Hardin said:

Interesting, so its more like FE Heroes where cavalry units have 1 more than infantry and two more than armored units?

Kinda but not really. Mostly because "armored" isn't a defined trait in Triangle Strategy, and cavalry only is in that they're weak to spears. (Flying, of course, is a mechanically unique movement type.)

Erador is "armoured" I suppose, but plenty of "infantry" have 4 move as well, as does one of the fliers.

5 move is a number shared by some other "infantry" units, but also at least one cavalry unit, and the other flier.

6 move is attained only by a single cavalry unit, as far as I'm aware. (disclaimer: there are still some units I've not gotten)

So, I just got the golden ending two days ago! I also watched the Utility route on YouTube, so I think I'm gonna be done with this game for a while.

Honestly, by the third playthrough the gameplay kinda lost its luster for me. There's just not as much advancement per character as I'd like. I prefer the tactics style of building up units through class-jumping. The unique cast helped for a while, but there's just not much this game offers to shake up how each unit plays. Also, the rigid nature of NG+ was a mistake. You really should've been given the option to, like in Bravely Default, control which things get carried over. Would've been nice if I could carry over everything but player and enemy level, for example.

5 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

So, I just got the golden ending two days ago! I also watched the Utility route on YouTube, so I think I'm gonna be done with this game for a while.

I recently finished the golden route as well (though it was my first playthrough of this game). What did you think of the golden route?