Fire Emblem Heroes - Mythic Hero (Ótr: Kingsbrother)

XRay

English:

Japanese:

— — — — — — —

Ótr seems fun as a unit in itself. I would run Heavy Blade on A and Atk/Res Solo or something on Sacred Seal.

I just noticed how lame his epithet looks after I copy-pasta'd the YouTube title and seeing it on the forums. I mean, Kingsbrother is fitting considering that the last chapter had him go full on brocon mode, but like, they could have given him something better like Niðavellir's Stampede or, your know, a title with dignity. This is like Lionheart's Sister lame; Lionheart's Rose or something would sound better. If they want to tie him in with Fafnir, I would go with King's Fist or King's Axe or something that projects power.

Edited by XRay

Interesting how this version of him uses a modified weapon, trading the follow-up protection for a guaranteed follow-up. And he's got a Luna version of Seidr Shell.

He's Anima, so not exactly a priority, and Byleth and Celica being the ones to share his color is kind of underwhelming for me. I'll try for one copy for collection purposes, I guess. Maybe also a second so that I can use Gunnthra in the Arena and finally have a real Wind team.

Combat-wise, he's a pretty typical bulky unit with a guaranteed follow-up on both phases and +9/0/6/6 from his weapon, so basically a green Duessel, but with Canto on the first 4 turns.

His stat spread looks to be 41/41/17/40/35, compared to Duessel's 41/39/18/39/31, so literally just Duessel with next-gen stat boosts.

Brutal Shell is just a Luna that fully charges itself on the first turn, like Seidr Shell.

Unlike Harmonic Caeda, who was the previous unit to get Flow Refresh, Otr actually makes good use of the healing, so that's pretty nice.

I don't really see him making any real splash in Aether Raids, at least against my standard team. Brutal Shell is pretty much neutered by Gustav's 75% damage reduction on the first attack, which defeats the purpose of it fully charging itself, and half of Atk/Def Menace is blocked by the fact that Gustav won't be the closest unit.

Edited by Ice Dragon

41/40/17/37/33/168 [NPC stat line] ->

41/41/17/40/35/174 [Mythic stat line]

All I have to additionally say is that's rather strange that they'd give a Mythic Hero a Duel skill, especially when Otr is clocking in with a 174 stat total.

5 minutes ago, Othin said:

Interesting how this version of him uses a modified weapon, trading the follow-up protection for a guaranteed follow-up. And he's got a Luna version of Seidr Shell.

I did not even notice that, although I usually kill him in one round of combat in Story Mode, so I do not pay too much attention to enemy builds in PvE until my nuke dies or something. I think they could have incorporated follow-up protection into the new Weapon and I do not think it would have been broken.

Edited by XRay

Do you really want me to make up epithets for this guy?  Because I can, and it would be quite insulting.

As for this cast. . .

Red - I have Altina, and am missing the other two.  This isn't bad at all IMO.
Green - Not only am I missing every single unit of this color, I really want Byleth.  So this is the color I'll concentrate on (and subsequently see none of).
Blue - Also don't have any of these units, so it's good enough for me!
Colorless - Nothing but merges, and this makes me happy.

Green > Blue > Red > Colorless, but I'll be happy with A Unit.

I don't care about this guy but might still try a bit for him because I never got Seiros and my Anima defense is pretty bad. 

Anyways, let's check Otr's skills. 

His Prf changed from having an Impact effect to an Auto follow-up. NFU users don't care about either effect, and when facing Save tanks I think the follow-up is better thanks to Flow Refresh denying stuff like B!Hector's follow-up denial. Pre-charged Luna is really nice, even if Otr ends up killing himself he should at least do some hefty damage to whatever tank kills him, and in a properly setup AR-D team the others should finish off the job. GDC4 is amazing fodder for Gunnthrá, so that's valuable for anyone that has her at high merges. I don't feel Otr will be all that great on AR-D, but at least he's an improvement over Seiros not that it is hard to be better than her

As for colors: 

Not really sure this time. Green has the best fodder and L!Byleth is a great unit to have, but the other two are of dubious value. Otr is an improvement over Seiros, but not to the point you should go for him if you have her. I adore L!Celica, but I'd be lying if I said she's easy to use when she requires setup to enable Soul of Zofia and start her rampage. 

Colorless also has amazing units, but in terms of fodder it's just Shinon and Claude because Leif offers very little. If one cares more about Arena then this color is the best of the banner. 

Red is eh. L!Eliwood is kinda outdated, but his Bonus Doubler Opening is still a great skill. Altina does nothing and has 0 fodder. V!Palla is a great unit and is top tier fodder for Aversa, although Aversa's usefulness nowadays isn't all that great. 

L!Chrom is hard carrying blue from being worthless. Marianne is nice, but she is in direct competition with Guinivere and I think the latter is the better blue mage. Zeke is fodder, if you need a tanky lance cav go with Duessel, otherwise B!Eirika/B!Eliwood/L!Ephraim will cover your needs. 

Translation notes again, though short this time because there's only one new unit.

Otr's epithet, "Kingsbrother", is "王の弟" (ō no otōto), "The King's Younger Brother". @eclipse Be my guest, as it's just as bad in Japanese.

Auto-Lofnheidr is "機斧ロヴンヘイズ" (kifu rovunheizu), "Machine Axe, Lofnheidr".

Brutal Shell is "凶弾" (kyōdan), "assassin's bullet", though the characters literally translate as "evil bullet", "bullet of misfortune", or "bullet of disaster" and where the character for "bullet" refers to any round or bullet-like projectile (as opposed to long projectiles like arrows and javelins).

Also compare Brutal Shell with Seidr Shell, which is "魔弾" (madan), "magic bullet", with "seidr" being a type of old Norse prophetic magic.

Quick, everyone act surprised!

...Yeaaaaah, not thrilled with this one. Ótr is very clearly a fodder delivery service. His Duel becomes worthless for himself after a merge, and Flow Refresh + Atk/Def Menace is a godlike inheritance combo.

I was honestly dreading Ótr as a MHB boss because his Weapon was annoying, but... they've changed it to give himself a follow-up instead of denying a follow-up to the enemy? And they changed his Special too? His story-mode kit had everything he needed to be a premier Cav tank, and now he's suddenly a janky player phase unit, what the heck? He becomes threatening if he has a Catch slotted into his A Skill, but outside that those big defensive numbers won't save him from a real player phase unit.

8 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Otr's epithet, "Kingsbrother", is "王の弟" (ō no otōto), "The King's Younger Brother". @eclipse Be my guest, as it's just as bad in Japanese.

Tee-hee~!

Something like "Nothing But Talk" would sum up what he did in the story.

Spoiler

"Prince of Nepotism" would also do the trick, though it's a bit more spolier-y.  Not quite as bad as Edelgard, but yeah.

And then there's the inside joke, "Mafia Goon".  Take your pick~!

I wish he'd been a more interesting character so I could feel anything other than meh

While I don't care for him as a character, he'd be useful on my anima team because I don't have Seiros, however, I won't be too upset if he refuses to show up for me.

EDIT: That reminds me @eclipse Otr would probably have a lot of fun playing mafia.

Edited by Sunwoo

For me Otr is relatively interesting as far as Heroes characters go, but he doesn't seem super desirable from a gameplay perspective. Still, I'm missing Legendary Byleth and have an Atk flaw in need of repair on Legendary Celica, so green seems worth pulling. Blue looks slightly more appealing than colorless since I'm missing Zeke. Looks like the type of banner to try to spend only so far as the first focus who shows up though. 

Just now, eclipse said:

Do you really want me to make up epithets for this guy?  Because I can, and it would be quite insulting.

I think they can do better. Even though he is actually pretty pathetic and lame in the story, and technically he does deserve an insulting epithet I guess, I feel like players who have not played the story yet but want to pull for someone awesome and cool would feel better by getting someone that is titled King's Fist.

Kingsbrother just sounds like a downer, like this character's only redeeming quality is his relationship to somebody in a position of authority, not that this character is awesome in itself.

4 minutes ago, Some Jerk said:

Quick, everyone act surprised!

...Yeaaaaah, not thrilled with this one. Ótr is very clearly a fodder delivery service. His Duel becomes worthless for himself after a merge, and Flow Refresh + Atk/Def Menace is a godlike inheritance combo.

I was honestly dreading Ótr as a MHB boss because his Weapon was annoying, but... they've changed it to give himself a follow-up instead of denying a follow-up to the enemy? And they changed his Special too? His story-mode kit had everything he needed to be a premier Cav tank, and now he's suddenly a janky player phase unit, what the heck? He becomes threatening if he has a Catch slotted into his A Skill, but outside that those big defensive numbers won't save him from a real player phase unit.

If he cannot survive simple player phase units in Story Mode, I doubt he will survive much more optimized nukes in Aether Raids. I think having him focus on player phase gives him much better synergy in the current meta. That being said, I do not think they needed to take out his follow-up prevention either, and having guaranteed follow-up and follow-up prevention at the same time is not really anything game breaking at this point when you look at the essays of other units.

7 minutes ago, Some Jerk said:

and Flow Refresh + Atk/Def Menace is a godlike inheritance combo.

Eh. While the combination itself is decent on paper, the actual list of units that want to actually run Flow Refresh is almost non-existent.

Slower units with guaranteed follow-ups typically get more use out of Lull skills, which work on both phases, and Trace skills, which give them better positioning options on top of the stats. Even for units that already have Canto on their weapon, like Otr, it still has to compete with Lull skills, which are significantly stronger in game modes where opponents use field bonuses, like Arena (which Otr thankfully doesn't care about).

Faster units can certainly get use out of the offensive half of Null Follow-Up that Flow Refresh gives, but that's basically it, and it still has to compete with Spd Lull and Spd Trace skills, which helps creep Spd, and Dive-Bomb on fliers, which offers superior survivability. Additionally, the healing effect is better obtained from Surge Sparrow, as it compresses the healing effect onto a skill slot that has very few competitors with secondary effects in the first place.

If you're handing out Flow Refresh, it'll most just be a tack-on when transferring Atk/Def Menace, and even then, Threaten Atk/Def isn't even all that easy to come by, as its only sources are 5-star exclusives (Dieck, fallen female Morgan, and Rudolf) and Grail units (Petrine and Fernand).

1 minute ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Yeah, I don't think there's anything mythical about Otr. He's just an evil henchmen who has a crush on his brother. 

Which makes the decision to make Nifl and Muspell, literally the dragon gods of their worlds, normal summonable units...

Otr! =D I'm glad he's in and I want to get him, but now's not the best time. I want Dagr and Thrasir, too, so I may as well wait until he's available at the same time as one of them, since they're my mythic targets. Also, my orbs are spoken for. I want to try to get Performing Arts Shigure, and if I can, Legendary Ephraim from the double legendary banner. I'm not in a rush. I'll aim for him eventually.

Doesn't he break the fem mythic chain, too? On the flipside, poor Freyr... At least Freyr has a summer alt. Reminds me a bit of Bruno at least having a bunny alt, but that one;s more understandable since Bruno's arc isn't over.

All in all, though, I'm happy! I also do hope that Otr gets a seasonal alt sometime.

To be fair, "Kingsbrother" is his entire character. He is just Fáfnir's adopted brother and workship him... That's all about Ótr.

It's just funny to me how the Nifl and Múspell, gods, creators of the realms that have their respective names, be able to bring back to life those that sacrifice themselves in their names (at least in Múspell's case), are considered normal heroes, while a random boy that is not even royal and that doesn't have any special power, is considered a Mythic Hero.

You know after thinking about it for a bit, FEH really likes building most of its male OCs the exact same way:

41/37/17/36/26 [Hrid]
44/35/18/35/31 [Helbindi]
50/39/17/40/33 [Surtr]
49/41/18/46/31 [Valentine's Gustav]
41/38/16/38/35 [Summer Freyr]
40/41/16/39/37 [Moosepelt Muspell]
41/41/17/40/35 [Otr]

The only ones with any kind of notable Spd are base Bruno (35, which was pretty good in 2017) and Fafnir (37 as base form, 42 as dragon).