Let's Draft Super Robot Wars V!

Excellen Browning

Scenario 43 Yamato - 4/198 (42) (+5)

Worked on the full customization of Tetsuya's new rig and then Chitose (she damn well deserves it).  Lockon and Hathaway got offscreen ace bonuses.

Got the SR Point on turn 2 by having Judau use High Mega Cannon on four scrubs.  Worked some of my troop north, but had my Hit and Away characters veer off to the right on turn 2.  On turn 3, used a Soul-powered Kokuyo to put a dent in the boss, then finished off with Yazan using Valor (really).  Then I moved everyone to where the next enemies spawned.  Judau and Amuro were able to harass them.  On turn 4, I let Banagher and Riddhe loose on them.  Between that and the silly amounts of ExC Yazan had, I was able to clean up.  Well, almost.  Nearly forgot one enemy in a far-off corner, so had Nine use Zeal so Chitose would be in position to end the map with a Soul-powered Kokuyo.

The only reason why this isn't doable in three is because that jerk of a boss doesn't attack on turn 2.

Scenario 44 - 4/202 (43) (+5)

Continued to work towards Chitose's customization bonus.

This SR Point is a nice breather.  Split your forces in two, but have people slowly move towards the left.  If done correctly, you should end up right in the middle of the third enemy spawn.  Used this map to feed kills to Velt, Lottie, Yazan, and Lacus (no, really, the Czvarkes are less tanky than the last map).  Took out the boss that matters with Yazan.  Again.  I think this is some kind of twisted record.

Scenario 45 - 4/206 (44) (+5)

Kira, Athrun, and Riddhe weapons up to 6.  This bump made a difference (surprisingly).

In the grand tradition of these maps, Yet Another Faction shows up after the initial rush.  Except I completely forgot about that, so I had to get creative on the fourth turn.  Used Judau as a mobile siege machine, and he managed to hit roughly half the new guys with High Mega Cannon.  From there, it took some ExC shuffling and Riddhe's Hit and Away, but I managed to have both Riddhe and Banagher weave through the remaining enemies to finish them off.  Amuro also snagged a couple of kills, enough to get his ace bonus.  Oh, and I got THAT conversation, which IMO was well worth the six turns it took for Alpha Azieru (yes I will burn turns if it means I can do funny things).

Now, for other stuff (because I will forget):

- Tessa, Asuka, and Ersha got their ace bonuses
- Bought out the Factory recommended items (Haro, Pink Haro, and Gardim Drive Core), which is why I went with the TaC bonus way back when.
- Haro and Pink Haro to Tetsuya.  He and Banagher can compare their Haro collections.
- Gardim Drive Core to Velt (I think)
- Mazin's Heart to Kira, swapping out the Force Reactor
- Athrun got the other Pink Haro
- I think I did a couple of other swaps, but I don't remember.
- Chitose and Tetsuya get their full customization bonuses (more power part slots)
- Max EN to Banagher and Riddhe, they keep running out

Spoiler

Four turns on quite a few maps!  But I think I've figured out her logic, so it's not too hard to keep up with her.

Edited by eclipse

Scenario 46 - 5/211 (45) (+5)

Fielded my entire team for the first time!

Not enough gimmicks yet?  Tessa got the kill on the nearest battleship on turn 2, then another one on turn 3.  Thanks to Tessa's ace bonus, I was able to get quite a bit of money off the bad guys!  Once I finished off the battleship that lags behind  (start of turn 4), I had the Yamato, Tetsuya, and Chitose run into the next wave of enemies, while everyone else moved north.  They managed to thin out the worst of the enemies, which meant that I could use them to clean up at the beginning of turn 5.  And because Chitose and Okita had way too much ExC, I was able to use Multi Action to reposition them.  Pummeled the objective with the map to an inch of his life, then had Tusk earn me a bunch of money by taking out a few grunts.  When I was ready to end the map, I had Lottie use Smash Hit and Love to punch the boss.

Thanks to that little stunt with Tusk, he got his ace bonus.  Closeau also hit Great Ace.

Scenario 47 - 4/215 (46) (+5)

The Yamato got its customization bonus.  The Eternal is next.  Grabbed another Haro and Gardim Drive Core from the shop.

Took my time a bit with the first part of the map, because it's a map wipe anyway.  Left Tetsuya and Go to take care of the southern enemies while everyone else wandered north.  Once the SR Point is triggered, the second half of the map goes live.  Between one well-placed Super DRAGOON MAP attack and the Yamato's temporary upgrade, I was able to wipe out all the underlings on turn 4.  The boss fell shortly afterwards (pro tip: Athrun doesn't like Invaders).

Velt got his ace bonus here.  Somehow.

Edited by eclipse

Stage 19: 3/75 (18)

Parts:

VangRay: Magnetic Coating, Booster

Mightgaine: Auxiliary GN Drive

Xi Gundam: Booster, Supercond. Motor

Nadesico: Bronze Emblem, Mars Bowl

Upgrades:

Xi Gundam: Weapons +9(10)

I spent a bunch of time on this stage, but it turns out it wasn't as hard as I had thought to get a 3 turn. VangRay takes the 4 enemies up north, Mightgaine the enemies to the west, Xi gundam with Tobia heads south. All attack their respective Majin. Mightgaine needs a crit or two to clear his side. All my other units head east and pile on the enemies there.

On turn 2, the respective sides clean up, and the gardim reinforcements spawn. Mightgaine and VangRay have a Move again and tap whats-his-face. They counter everything on enemy phase, and on phase 3 VangRay shoots down whats-his-face. On enemy phase the mooks all die.

Stage 20: 4/79 (19)

Parts:

VangRay: Magnetic Coating, Booster

Mightgaine: Auxiliary GN Drive

Upgrades:

Xi Gundam: HP +4(5), EN +4(5), Armor +4(5), Mobility +4(5), Sight +4(5)

Skills:

Tobia: Fighter's Spirit +1

Soji: Dash, Full Counter

Xi gundam gains 2 movement from it's full upgrade bonus, which seems useful, so I get it.

There's not much to the stage. Units get deployed and rush the enemies as hard as they can. Maito get's his Ace Bonus.

After the map I buy Nine's Encouragement and a Booster from the shop.

Stage 21: 4/83 (20)

Parts:

VangRay: Nine's Encouragement, Booster

Mightgaine: Booster, Aux. GN Drive

Vilkiss: Booster, Auxilliary EOS

Upgrades:

Zambot 3: Weapons +5(6)

Pilot swaps:

Amuro to F91 MP type

I ended up with a 4 turn on the first try and stuck with it. Soji races towards Hokushin, pops Nine's Encouragement on turn 2, and chunks him for 70% of his HP. Unfortunately he'll kill him on enemy phase with a crit, so no Bless kill for me. After this he sticks around at the bottom of the map to clean up Hokushin's sidekicks.

Xi gundam heads south west to start cleaning up Majins there, Maito goes south and does the same. Zambot, Battle Bomber, Grungust and Nadesico stick around where the Gardim will pop up. Everyone else heads over to intercept the dragons.

The dragons appear on turn 2 enemy phase, Gardim show up on turn 3. Maito heads over to deal with Whats-his-face on turn 4, and everyone just piles on to get the damage in. I pop a lot of blesses on turn 4.

After the stage I buy the Spiral effector and Rescue Unit from the shop.

Edited by Excellen Browning

Scenario 48 - 3/218 (47) (+5)

The Eternal has its full customization, worked on the Ra Cailum next.  Grabbed the Haro and Gardim Drive Core out of the shop.

There's three different enemy factions and two different styles of play.  Whoever's on ELS duty needs to dodge.  Whoever's dealing with the Gamillans can facetank.  Whoever's dealing with the Gardim had best include the main character.  Thus, Chitose, Ryoko, Yazan, Hathaway, and the Ptolemaios went towards the Gardim, the Super Robot Squad feat. Judau intercepted the Gardim, mostly everyone else charged the Large ELS, and Amuro walked between the Gamillians and the ELS, sniping whoever got too close (10 range Funnels is hilarious).  Banagher had to get creative on turn 2 in order to kill off something like four wounded ELS in one turn.  Chitose got the kill on Soji during enemy phase turn 2, and the Gamillas Extermination Crew finished their jobs on turn 3.  That was my cue to rush the boss.  Used a Soul-powered Super Dragoon MAP attack to clear the area, then hit the boss with the following:

- Bravery-powered Black Hole Cannon
- Valor-powered Combination Assault
- Soul-powered Tactical Charge with Smash Hit active
- Valor-powered Twin Beam Magnum
- Cruise Missile with Snipe
- Two sets of Funnels, one with Soul behind it
- Soul-powered Combination Assault, thanks to the Tuatha's Restore Action
- I think I'm forgetting someone
- And then the boss was laid low with a Valor-powered Ability Unlock (really)

This could probably go faster if I'd completely ignored the Gardim and the SR Point, since I could use Chitose as a siege cannon.  But I really need the money!

Scenario 49 - 2/220 (48) (+5)

Ra Cailum and Nahel Argama have their full customization bonuses.  Grabbed the Haro out of the shop.  Lacus, Go, and Zinnerman got their ace bonuses via Patrol.

Fielded the Nadesico here, and that was the first key to this turn count.  Used System Seizure on turn 2, followed by two Gravity Blast (the MAP attack), the second which was powered by Yurika's Love.  That more-or-less wiped out one side.  The other side had Banagher do his usual shenanigans with Riddhe nearby, along with Lottie running and stealing a battleship kill for her ace bonus.  Judau killed something on turn 1, used High Mega Cannon Smack Down with Soul, then ran south next to the Nadesico.  I had several other units unload on the boss once his goons were dead, with Athrun causing the cut scene transition.  A handful of units still had their turn, and it culminated with one of the Gardim being at roughly half health.  Used Restore Action on the Nadesico to give Judau his turn back.  Had him use Multi Action, kill something, then positioned himself so that he could hit the boss with High Mega Cannon on Soul.  That caused another scene change, and spawned Chitose in the Vangray II.  Had Chitose use Rekka with Soul for the final scene change.  This time, Soji used Rekka with Soul and Chitose with a Koga support attack, then had Nine use Zeal and Chitose use Koga with Soul.  Luckily, that was enough to end the map, but I was ready in case it didn't!  Cutscene Zeal FTW!

Edited by eclipse

Stage 22: 4/87 (21)

Parts:

VangRay: Nine's Encouragement, Booster

Yamato: Booster, Spiral Effector

Upgrades:

Huckebein: Weapons +7(7)

I looked ahead at the route splits and thought it wise to invest in a unit that has perfect availability, so I did. I kind of regret spending money Zambot last chapter, but oh well.

This stage is once again pretty barebones, the enemies you start against are all you're going to fight, so it's mostly about crossing the distance to the boss and getting enough damage in. VangRay and Xi Gundam speed along and take down Zabine on turn 2, after which VangRay moves ahead to start working on Goergametsch and his ships. I can kill Goergametsch on turn 3, but lose out on the SR, so I instead opt for the 4 turn with more money.

Bought Turbo Penetrator and a Booster.

Stage 23 Independent Action: 5/92 (22)

Parts:

VangRay: Nine's Encouragement, Turbo Penetrator

Zambot: Booster, Booster

Huckebein: Auxiliary EOS, Booster

Tuathe de Danaan: Mars Bowl, Mars Bowl

Upgrades:

Huckebein: weapons +2(9)

The starting units pile on Rommel, he drops on turn 3 player phase. After which events play out and player and enemy reinforcements drop. All the undrafted units retreat into the Nahel Argama, VangRay once again functions as assassin and shoots for Rakan(?) and Angelo. Xi Gundam joins as a sidekick. Everyone else piles on to the other units.

I buy a Supercond. Motor after the scenario.

Stage 24 Independent Action: 3/95 (23)

Parts:

Zambot: Booster, Booster

Huckebein: Auxiliary EOS, Booster

Tuathe de Danaan: Mars Bowl, Mars Bowl

Upgrades:

Huckebein: weapons +1(10)

Zambot 3: weapons +3(9)

The starting enemies are all there is to the stage, so it's just a matter of rushing everyone over to deal with the bosses. There's really not much to this map.

Bought the V Circuit after the map.

Stage 25 Independent Action: 4/99 (24)

Parts:

Jesta: Booster, Rescue Unit, Mars Bowl

Zambot 3: Booster, V Circuit

Huckebein: Supercond. Motor, Booster

Tuathe de Danaan: Bronze Emblem, Mars Bowl

Pilot Swaps:

Iino into Jesta

Ple into Hyaku Shiki

I get the SR in 2 turns, use Nine's Encouragement to oneshot Banagher on 2 as well, and spend turn 3 and 4 shooting down Full Frontal and Marida.

I buy the Range Extender and Booster in the shop.

I tested out both route splits, this one ended up a turn faster and I made a lot more money, so this is the one I'm sticking with.

Stage 26: 3/102 (25)

Parts:

Vilkiss: Booster, Range Extender

Mazinger moves up to attack the Eva and do some damage to enemies on enemy phase, with Iron Wall/Guard up. He needs to hit the 60% now, and again on enemy phase. This will spawn in the player reinforcements. On turn 2 Mazinger moves out of the way of the enemies and attacks the EVA. Xi Gundam zooms in and gets the SR. The other units pile into the enemy units.

A bunch of enemies die on enemy phase, and the Angel spawns in. On turn 3 I spend some unupgraded units' turn hurting it with VangRay's support attack, getting it in kill range. I spend the rest of the turn cleaning out as many of the enemies as I can before I shoot down the Angel, which ends the stage. In the end the only things left standing are one of the big black dragons, and 3 of the green ones.

Stage 27: 4/106 (26)

Mazinger Z: Palladium Reactor, Spiral Effector

Yamato: Booster, Multisensor

Upgrades:

Vilkiss: Weapons +9(10)

Mazinger Z: Weapons +3(5)

After a while of very simple maps, a challenge again. It seems the enemies on this map have had a jump up in their stats, as they have way better hit rates on my units than I'm used to.

The map starts simple enough, with the goal of shooting down Baron Ashura and some midboss trash. My battleships head over to intercept Tetsuya in his final spot. The SR is gotten on turn 3. After this follows the first map event and Tetsuya appears as an enemy. VangRay pops Nine's Encouragement and does enough damage in one shot to trigger the next event. After this the battleships and Mazinger Z take down Tetsuya, while the other units work on the Dragons. The Dragons are cleared with units to spare by turn 4, I have to Haze Tetsuya to get enough damage to down him on turn 4 enemy phase.

Secret Scenario: 5/106 (26)

This has to be a dream! No, a nightmare! It's so cute and cuddly!

Scenario 50 Fierce Battles - 3/223 (49) (+5)

Finished customizing the Ra Cailum and Nahel.  I'm still buying Haros!

The hardest part of this map is getting everyone to the objective.  Things kinda died in my quest to move the Boss Nuke unit over.  I kept roughly half my squad behind, including the Tuatha, for the Great Fundraiser.  Managed to kill off most of the northern enemies.  Meanwhile, the Boss Nuke unit did what was written on the box.  Completely ignored Leonard on the second part of the map and nuked the proper boss.  Full Frontal saved a turn here by being close enough to the boss where he could mosey over and smack him around using Soul.  Yazan got his ace bonus as well (and it's, uh, as unattractive as he is).

Scenario 51 - 3/226 (50) (+5)

Tetsuya's weapons to 10, Chitose to 8.  Rest of the money went towards the Unicorn's full customization bonus.  Yes this is intentional.

First, the great shuffle.  The general gist of this was to get as many people to 9-10 range as possible.  I managed to get Tetsuya (Haro + Range Extender), Chitose (Haro, something else), Amuro (that's, uh, what Funnels does), Full Frontal (but he hits like a wet noodle without Soul), Okita (because he rocks), Tessa (she also rocks), Ruri (her too), and Lockon (see Full Frontal, but doesn't have Soul to patch that up).

The goal was to use as few units as possible on turn 2 to trigger the first scene change, then to reposition everyone so I could trigger the second scene change as quickly as possible.  This is where Tetsuya came in - at 10 range, he could snipe a certain boss with Soul active and more-or-less force a scene change all by himself.  After a point, said boss heals, and then you can kill them all For Real.  Which is what I did.  Except those Mycenae bastards, I wiped them out before taking care of their boss.  Lottie got one boss kill, Banagher got the other (and half of Mycenae due to severe Zeal abuse).

Edited by eclipse

Since I'm past the halfway mark, I figure I should do a quick blurb on all of the units that I have so far. For posterity, and to see if and how my opinions change by the endgame.

VangRay: Soji sits at a cool 205 kills, I think that's 'nuff said. Currently functions a bit like an assassin, using Nine's Encouragement to severely chunk or even oneshot bosses.

Mightgaine: In second place is Maito with 99 kills. Mightgaine has been an important fixture of the team, being an early joiner, having Accel and Fortune, and having decent damage output. Passable survivability was attained by boosting his level 6 potential to level 9. In comparison to the Vangray, Mightgaine is nothing to write home about, but he does the job well enough.

Xi Gundam: Probably the best UC gundam unit in the game so far. Comes with base 7 movement while most UC units (hell, most gundams) are stuck on 5, and gets a customization bonus that boosts it to 9. Tobia's the best pilot for it. The only downside is that it's post movement attacks aren't anything to write home about.

Huckebein: Velt has been decent but not spectacular so far. He costs 2 turns to recruit, and has only saved one, so in the end probably not worth getting.

Zambot 3: Has Accel(cheap, too) and is therefore a pretty good unit. Suffers from short range and needs parts to compensate.

Grungust: Has had a decent run for a unit that lacks Accel. Has Fortune, which is always useful. Probably played a crucial role in getting enough money to full weapons upgrade Xi Gundam when I did, I had 1.7k left after it.

Vilkiss: Doesn't have Accel, so didn't get any attention until recently. Did pretty well for herself despite being completely stock.

Mazinger Z: Only had it for 2 maps, in which it did alright. No Accel, so nothing spectacular. Hard hitter though.

Jesta: Iino's ride. Iino gets a two very cool spirits, one being Resupply. His ace bonus makes Resupply cost 45 SP, so I'm going to try to get it.

Gundam F91 MP Type: I stuck Amuro in it. Rarely makes it into the fight, and weak post-movement attack options to boot. I thought I might need it for some early game power, but no.

Hyaku Shiki: First had Judau in it, now it has Elpeo Ple. Nothing to write home about.

Battle Bomber: Their main contribution was losing to Joe quickly, way back when. And helping me get the Black Mightgaine secret scenario for a bit, I suppose. One of the units I dump when I don't have enough deployment slots.

Hilda/Rosalie/Chris Custom: All three have contributed very little and have spent considerable time getting kills via sub-orders. Units I dump when out of deployment slots.

Venus A: Only had it for 2 stages. It can repair, I guess. Sayaka gets a cheap Prospect, so it's probably worth investing in her.

Yamato: Very powerful battleship

Nadesico: Bless battery. Ruri actually has the cheapest Bless in the game.

Tuathe de Danaan: Also Bless battery, though at much higher cost.

Stage 28 AD: 3/109 (27)

Parts:

Mightgaine: Nine's Encouragement

VangRay: Aux. GN Drive, Turbo Penetrator

Huckebein: Supercond. Motor, Supercond. Motor

Grungust: Spiral Effector

Rosalie Custom: Booster, Hero's Mark

Hilda Custom: Booster, Booster

Battle Bomber: Booster, Booster, Booster

Mightgaine gets Nine's Encouragement to oneshot Joe on turn 1. Enemies and player units spawn in, I move. Enemies start getting shot down, another event happens and Joe is back. Maito is as well, and he even has a new shot of Nine's Encouragement. Joe is sent packing on turn 2, Mifune on turn 3.

I buy a Booster in the shop. I think I bought a Supercond. Motor after the secret scenario as well.

Stage 29 AD: 4/113 (28)

Parts:

Mightgaine: Palladium Reactor, Megabooster

VangRay: Nine's Encouragement, Turbo Penetrator, Spiral Effector

Rosalie Custom: Booster, Hero's Mark

Hilda Custom: Booster, Booster

Upgrades:

VangRay: HP+5(5) EN+1(5) Armor +5(5) Mobility +5(5) Sight +5(5)

Huckebein: HP+5(5) EN+5(5) Armor +5(5) Mobility +5(5) Sight +5(5)

Vilkiss: HP+4(5) EN+4(5) Armor +4(5) Mobility +4(5) Sight +4(5)

Zambot 3: HP+4(5) EN+4(5) Armor +4(5) Mobility +4(5) Sight +4(5)

Might Kaiser: HP+4(5) Armor +4(5) Mobility +4(5) Sight +4(5)

Pilot Skills:

Maito: Fighter's Spirit +3, Will Limit Break +3

Soji: Fighter's Spirit +3, Will Limit Break +3, Attacker, Potential +1(9)

Ange: Fighter's Spirit +1(3), Will Limit Break +3, Potential +1(9), Ignore Size +1(3)

Kappei: Fighter's Spirit +3, Will Limit Break +3

Velt: Fighter's Spirit +3

Considering the enemies on this stage are pretty tough, I decided to splurge on upgrading my units. Investing in Fighter's Spirit on Soji is also necessary for the clear.

The map starts as Akito vs Hokushin. In order to not get attacked by enemy reinforcements, Akito moves south and casts Intuition. On enemy phase, Hokushin moves in and attacks. On turn 2 Akito casts another Intuition and attacks Hokushin again. This causes some events, and enemy and player reinforcements drop in.

Ange moves out and taps Hokushin, Soji uses Nine's Encouragement and gibs him. After this some more events happen, and it's a matter of clearing out the remaining units.

Stage 30 AD: 3/116 (29)

Parts:

Nadesico: Megabooster, Aux. GN Drive

Mightgaine: Palladium Reactor

Black Mightgaine: Force Reactor, Booster

Nadesico with +3 movement and 2 Dash Boosts will hit the line, with no movement points to spare. The only other thing that complicates this map is that Akito and Hilda spawn in when a few enemies are destroyed, and I had to make sure Akito didn't get attacked.

Velt hits Ace.

Stage 31 AD: 4/120 (30)

Parts:

Nadesico: Rescue Unit, Bronze Emblem

Battle Bomber: Booster, Booster, Aux. GN Drive

Grungust: Hero's Mark

And we're back to simple maps, just need to kill some dragons and then some Gardim.

Stage 32 AD: 3/123 (31)

Parts:

Battle Bomber: Booster, Booster, Aux. GN Drive

Grungust: Hero's Mark

Just have to kill 35 enemies to both get the SR and end the map. Might be doable in 2 turns, but I'm not going to keep trying for it.

I buy the CQB and Gunfight Supporters after the stage.

Screw it, the final chapter gets its own post.

Scenario 52 - 3/229 (50) (+5)

Thanks to my antics on the last chapter, I earned the Platinum Emblem.  That went to Amuro.  Grabbed another Haro and a Gardim Drive Core.  Slapped the Core on the Yamato (which now had two Cores, this matters) and gave the Haro to Lottie.  Bought Portable Nine and gave that to Yazan.  Used my TaC to grab two Morale Over Limit for Okita, and quite a few Fighter's Spirit (which also wound up not mattering).  Unicorn got its full customization bonus, as did Alpha Azieru.  Except I messed up the latter and accidentally gave it Range +1 (this actually mattered).  Got Okita's weapons up to 5 and Chitose's to 10.  Also got Concentration up to level 3 for Okita.  Moved the ExC Bank to the Ra Cailum.

Chose the Nahel and the Eternal for my two ships, and the former quite literally saved someone's life.

Remember that Alpha Azieru screw-up?  Turns out it wasn't quite the screw-up I envisioned.  Thanks to the Platinum Emblem, I spent a turn positioning Amuro, then pinged the Desura to trigger the next scene, then moved some of my troops to the new enemy faction while mostly everyone else went towards the Desura.  Blasted the Desura with quite a few things, which included Chitose (who used Hit and Away to go to the other enemy faction).  On turn 2, took out the Desura using Kira, Athrun, Lottie, and Asuka.  Ryoma was able to hit the other boss over the head a couple of times with Stoner Sunshine at max power.  Used the Yamato to get him out of the way.  Chitose managed to land a couple of solid hits with Koga, then ran away to the Yamato.  I managed to get Tetsuya to run across the map, using Multi Action to move him.  On his last Multi Action, he put himself within sniping range of the boss.  Thanks to the fact that Mazingers hit like a truck, I was able to kill the boss.  Then the "oh crap everyone's out" hit.  Used as many Emergency Retrievals as I could, and by the time I was done, the only unit that didn't make it to a battleship was Ryoko.  In turn, she was relatively far back.

The boss turn sucked.  Managed to sneak in a Bonds from Ruri, and used Meran's Trust to keep the Ra Cailum afloat.  The Nahel's damage reduction is how the Ra Cailum survived, as everything had a problem with Bright and Okita.  A couple of things went after Ryoko, but her Persist and a wayward Forsee kept her alive.  By the time all was said and done, my battleships were barely afloat and they were out a giant chunk of EN.  Had Banagher, Tetsuya, Lottie, Judau and Chitose exit the ships to take out some stragglers, with Ryoko using her newfound ExC to steal kills and preserve her turn.  Then the Yamato got the Wave Motion Cannon, and I wiped out almost the entire enemy squad with it (after moving my guys out of the way, of course).  By the time the Wave Motion Mayhem was over (it took two Souls, a Love, Ersha's Resupply, and Valor), three enemies remained.  Which became two and one nearly dead after I used Tactical Charge on one.  Killed off the nearly-dead one with Athrun, then had Tusk run and use Love twice and hit the remaining two enemies with Freeze Bullet (I had that much spare ExC on my battleships, really).  Closeau with his strongest attack and Salia with Ability Unlock on Valor was able to take out one, and the other one. . .uhhh. . .

See that +5 I've been carrying around?  If you'd told me that Amuro would take three straight turns to snipe the final enemy to death, I would've laughed.  But thanks to all the ExC from the boss rush, that's just what he did.  He had just enough SP to use Zero-In, and with the Commander auras, that put him at 100% hit.  And since Funnels outranges the enemy, it was a pretty one-sided battle.

Total turns = 229 - 50 + 5 - 5  = 179

Outro - Unit Analysis

Chitose (Vangray/Granvang) - The Granvang's raw power is what makes it the superior choice here.  Chitose starts decent, and just gets better as the game goes on.  She did quite a bit of work on her own, and is well worth raising up!  Plus she has some amusing conversations with Kodai.

Okita - His only downside is going poof for a good chunk of the game.  With the numerous sub-pilots and good variety on their spirits, they're more than capable of making the Yamato shine.  The main cannons get the most love, as they're incredibly powerful sniping tools.

Tetsuya - I knew he'd come in handy early-on, but after seeing his range, I figured he could do a gimmicky thing I had in mind during endgame, and I was right.  Mazingers don't come with Accel, but Tetsuya didn't need that.  And his absence was just there to balance the game out.

Ruri - The Nadesico's draw is its relatively crazy MAP attacks.  And Electron Fairy, it makes life a lot better for whoever's in that aura.  In return, its only damage booster comes extremely late.

Ryoko  - Lack of Accel/Zero-In sucked, but she was able to clean up fodder relatively well.  As long as the Nadesico is fielded, she doesn't have to worry too much about her EN.

Sumeragi - The Ptolemaios is good at killing things early-on, then falls off when enemy bulk picks up.  Having move and fire was clutch for a few maps.

Lockon - Being able to soften things up from long range has its perks, and his TRANS-AM hits from fairly far away.  It's a pity that he learns Charge so late, and he'll facetank instead of dodging.  He isn't a powerhouse, but he's plenty amusing!

Tessa - The Tuatha's aura is why I had as much money as I did.  Tessa comes with the longest-range base attack in the game.  But in turn, she doesn't show up for half the maps.

Closeau - Land a hit on him?  Very funny.  He wound up carrying far harder than I expected, and things didn't want to attack him because he'd dodge it all.  The aura was a nifty bonus.

Judau - He was exactly what I remembered him to be, which was a sniper on steroids.  His long range enabled some crazy strategies, and when I remembered to use Fortune before nuking a group, it was well worth it.  Kept his armor on because he hit harder with it.

Ersha - Getting her to ace was probably not worth the turns, but I'm glad she made it.  She hits surprisingly hard in the beginning, and her Resupply spirit was clutch in the end.

Salia - By far the worst luck in the game, she found a way to subvert my expectations by getting hit in the most unlikely situations.  Once she got her ace bonus and Valor, she became much more reliable.

Athrun - Phantom-01 feels like cheating when I use it.  Early Accel and combination attack helped to keep those maps in check.  Later on, he was able to chip in by taking off giant hunks of health with his various combination attacks.

Kira - His MAP attack didn't see as much use as I'd like, as he has no way of boosting his own movement.  Once I was able to get him into gunning range, he mowed down enemies.  I really wish he and Athrun swapped Soul and Valor, because Athrun with Soul is funny!

Otto - The Nahel is a battleship, and should be counted as one for Scenario 23 (but what do I know?).  This one takes far too much damage, but its aura helps to keep everyone else alive!  Plus it has a nice MAP attack.  Pity that its most useful functions are on Liam.

Banagher - This guy's busted, and I knew it.  Zeal on command is damn good, and he has Soul on top of it all.  His only downside is no spirits that boost his movement.  And running out of EN after whacking the big guys in the face.

Yazan - I knew I'd use this guy sooner than later, which is why I went for an early recruitment of the Titans.  10 SP Forsee is just too good to pass up!  He's okay as a fighter, but with Banagher murdering everything within arm's reach, it was hard giving him kills.

Bright - This guy wasn't supposed to hit this hard, but here we are.  Unlike the Nahel, he's sensible enough to keep Accel and Bullseye on himself, which means that Prospect can keep the Ra Cailum's aim up.  Plus that ace bonus is amazing.

Ryoma - Shin Getter is another super robo that leaves corpses in its wake, and this time was no different.  Plus, Stoner Sunshine is a funny name.  He has a variety of spirits to his name thanks to his buddies, and swapping from Shin Getter 2 to Shin Getter 1 is how I saved on SP.

Asuka - She was recruited for Beast Mode, and she performed that perfectly.  She loses a bit too much health to be a true frontline fighter, even with her barrier.

Lacus - The Eternal isn't meant to murder things left and right, but it'll keep the ships next to it safe, while allowing them to hit harder.  They have a move and fire attack in the form of its guns, and those things managed to snag a couple of kills!

Tusk - His ace bonus is part of what won the game, as 40 SP Love is kinda busted.  He ran around and pinned things in place with Freeze Bullet, or kept various mechs from blowing up.  Definitely worth the investment, even if I only did that because he has a funny ace conversation.

Riddhe - I didn't expect him to completely demolish everything and then some!  But he really wanted out, and his combo attack with Banagher was hilarious.  His spirit list is a little weird, but instant Accel kept him in the game.

Zinnerman - Shove him in Patrol, because his ship has the worst time killing things.  It comes with Resupply, which is its biggest draw.

Amuro - I wanted something with Funnels, and I was willing to take a turn penalty to get it.  What I didn't expect was for him to start killing things outright.  That, combined with Alpha Azieru's general power and tankiness enabled some strategies that I wouldn't have thought of otherwise.  And if you'd told me that three straight actions would be enough to end the game. . .yeah.  I'm not sure if it made up for the six turns, but I won't turn down another Soul/Zeal combo!

Velt - He's a decent sniper, but that's about it.  He got the short end of the stick with Bravery.

Lottie - If you told me that she'd be the highest-level character going into the final chapter, I don't think I would've believed that.  But thanks to Love stealing a bunch of boss kills, that's what happened.  Her range is unfortunate, but her ability to tank hits and dish out damage was a huge help.

Hathaway - He was supposed to go into Banshee Norn, but Riddhe had other ideas.  Thanks to Gain, he could keep himself up and running, and he's surprisingly competent with melee attacks.  The Byalarant Custom doesn't allow him to shine as much, but he still managed to dent things that mattered.  I wasn't fully sold on his ace skill, as Bravery costs way too much SP, but it gave him some form of Accel!

Go - The actual offensive battleship, if the Yamato didn't exist.  Like Bright, he's sensible enough to keep Accel and Bullseye on himself.  But unlike Bright, he doesn't have that insane Focus aura.  Like Zinnerman, he got most of his kills through Patrol.

Full Frontal - I don't know how this guy managed to make himself useful on his recruitment, but he did, and I'm thankful for that.  Plus he has Soul/Zeal.  And no Charge.  Boo.

I could probably lop off a few more turns if I'd invested in Proud Ace for a few units, and completely skipped Alpha Azieru.  But overall this team turned out well.

Spoiler

How'd she do those final chapters back-to-back?  I had a raging headache after one.  Still, I'm glad she finished, because it gave me a guide as to how long I should take per map.  Nine gave me the full draft write-up after I'd finished, and I couldn't help but shake my head.  She seems to be fond of Amuro, going as far as to find something for him to pilot.  It's something to tease him about, if he remembers to take a break from work.  Now that my part of the draft was done, I could call the person who originally played the game.

"Hello?  HUH?"
"Sorry I couldn't call earlier.  Didn't want the others to accuse me of cheating."
"The others?  What happened?"
"A draft.  The players choose units out of a pool, and try to complete the game in the lowest amount of turns."
"Why'd you take part in a draft?"
"I didn't draft the units.  This was a draft that was made by the same world as the game."
"Don't tell me--"
"My team was drafted by the woman you so admire."
"ARE YOU KIDDING ME?"
"She did half the draft, forgot something, redid the entire thing and finished before everyone else.  I admire her efficiency."
"She's still a horrible person!"
"She seems to genuinely love the game."
"I wish she'd genuinely love something like watching paint dry."
"Come now, just because she called the Xi's funnels 'funnel cakes' doesn't mean--"
"Why couldn't you have gotten another team?!"
"She shoved you in the Byalarant Custom, because she could."
"Is that all you wanted to talk to me about?"
"Did you want to try out the draft?"
"Dad, I'm way too busy!  But I'll give it a shot over summer break."
"I hope you enjoy it as much as I did."

Edited by eclipse
I forgot a lot of pilots. Whee.

Stage 33 AD: 2/125 (32)

Parts:

Mazinger Z: CQB supporter, High-fidelity Radar

Gundam F91 MP: Booster, Booster

Yamato: Booster, Gunfight Supporter

Jesta: Booster, Booster

Upgrades:

Mazinger Z: HP+3(5), EN+8(10), Armor+3(5), Mobi+3(5), Sight+3(5), Weapons +5(10)

Zambot 3: EN+5(10)

Mightgaine: EN+4(10)

VangRay: EN+5(10)

Maito: EN save +2(2)

Tobia: Potential +1(9), Focus Limit +1(3), Fighter spirit +3(3)

Kouji: Potential +3(9), Focus Limit +3(3), Fighter spirit +3(3), EN save +2(2)

Ange: EN save +2(2)

Kappei: EN save +2(2)

A fairly easy kill all. Mightgaine, VangRay and Tobia beeline for Joe and whats-his-face. Vilkiss, Mazinger and Zambot stay and deal with whats-her-face. On turn 2 Tobia fires a Valor'd shot at Goryu, which triggers the Great Mightgaine event. After this Great Mightgaine finishes Goryu, and takes a shot at Wolfgang(?). The whats-her-face crowd pound on her a bit, Soji finishes Wolfgang, then rushes in to finish whats-her-face. Iino gets a bunch of kills on the side.

Stage 34: 2/127 (33)

Parts:

A very short map again, just need to send Ghuli packing. This is done by Soji with a Move Again ready. A bunch of events happen, I get the GranVang, and use it to nearly OHKO whats-her-face. I spend the rest of the turn getting kills and EXP on the Ptolemaios and Nadesico, since they desperately need it. And of course on Iino, whose Ace bonus I aim to get. The enemies all suicide on enemy phase.

Stage 35: 3/130 (34)

Parts:

VangRay: Minovsky Drive, Turbo Penetrator, Spiral Effector

Upgrades:

Yamato: weapons +9(9)

An interesting boss rush. Also the map where I get the Methuss and Re-GZ, and have to do the first requirement to unlock Raziya, if I go down that route.

Soji, Tobia and Velt drive in on the initial enemies, everyone else moves to the top left to set up for enemy reinforcements. I kill enough units on enemy phase to have them pop up.

On turn 2 I have Soji snipe the Yamato boss, one of the FMP bosses, and deliver a meaty hit on Leonard. Kouji also punches Leonard with some ExC use, as does Maito. Tobia chunks the gundam boss, and everyone else focuses on the Cross Ange bosses. I try to make sure Ange has a fight with Chris, Salia and Ersha. Leonard dies to Kouji on enemy phase, and turn 3 is just cleanup.

Stage 36: 3/133 (35)

Parts:

Nadesico: Bronze Emblem, Pink Haro

GranVang: Minovsky Drive, Turbo Penetrator, Spiral Effector

Mazinger Z: CQB supporter, Nine's Encouragement

Yamato: Booster, Gunfight Supporter, Palladium Reactor

Jesta: Booster, Diva's Ring, Cryst. Dragunium

Methuss: Booster, Hero's Mark, Rescue Unit

Venus A: Cryst. Dragunium, Mars Bowl, Mars Bowl

Upgrades:

Yamato: HP +5(5), EN+5(5), Armor+5(5), Mobi+5(5), Sight+5(5), Weapons +1(10)

GranVang, Xi Gundam and Huckebein steam ahead to deal with Riddhe and Jerid. All the other units head to the top right of the map to deal with the reinforcements. On turn 2 Xi Gundam attacks Jerid with Soul and GranVang support, which puts Jerid easily into kill range. Soji pops Move again and kills Jerid, after which he pops another Move Again and kills a mook to set up for Riddhe. I activate the all crit ExC and Move Again, and Soul, and Soji oneshots Riddhe.

This sets off some events, all the remaining initial enemies die, and Full Frontal and Angelo pop in with some goons in tow. Soji pops another Soul and oneshots Angelo. He'll clear out most of Angelo's goons on enemy phase. Over on Full Frontal's side, I have Kouji pop Nine's Encouragement and get a big hit in on Full Frontal. I also move some of my own second stringers and, start damaging stuff and net Iino and Fa a kill, after which I retrieve them with battleships. On the next turn I get Iino and Fa a kill yet again, which pushes Iino over to 50 kills AKA ace with the great ace skill. I casually clean up the rest of the enemies.

Special Scenario: New Strength 3/136 (35)

Parts:

Grungust: Megabooster, Haro

Upgrades

Grungust: HP +5(5), EN+5(5), Armor+5(5), Mobi+5(5), Sight+5(5), Weapons +9(9)

So once I realized that I was going to have just Grungust and Huckebein for the map, I went back and threw a bunch of money at the Grungust. Now Lottie gets to waste my turns and my money. The actual stage is utterly forgettable.

Stage 37 Earth: 3/139(36)

Parts

Zambot: Megabooster, V Circuit

Mightgaine: Palladium Reactor, Haro

Grungust: Booster, Booster

Black Mightgaine: Booster, Booster

Huckebein solo's the left side of the map as everyone else moves on Ashura and Brocken. Soji offs Brocken on turn 2, people move up to intercept the enemy reinforcements while setting up kills on enemies and Ashura. The remaining enemies and Ashura suicide on enemy phase. Tetsuya and Dr. Hell and his goons show up, they're all wiped out on turn 3.

Stage 38 Earth: 3/142 (36)

Parts

Zambot: Megabooster, V Circuit

Black Mightgaine: Booster, Booster

It's a Mazinger boss rush once again. I spend the first two turns cleaning out the mooks, Ashura and Garadabla, then spend turn 3 grinding down whats-his-name. I choose not to deal with the Mightgaine enemies and forego the SR and the platinum emblem.

Stage 39: 6/148 (37)

Parts:

I switched around a bunch of parts after the map, and I unfortunately forgot to list them before doing so

Pilot Swaps

Kamille into Xi Gundam

Iino into Methuss

Fa into Jesta

Amuro into ReGZ

Riddhe into Hyaku Shiki

It's a big boss rush once again. First I have to waste 4 turns fighting an Angel with my EVA's though. After the rest of the squad finally shows up, I immediately set about killing the closest Angel, then Mazinger Zero, then the second Angel. Mazinger Z deals with whatsherface on his own and nearly oneshots her.

I also spend some time feeding kills to Fa and Amuro, and Fa hits ace.

Stage 40: 2/150 (38)

Parts

GranVang: Minovsky Drive, Turbo Penetrator, Spiral Effector, Palladium Reactor

Mazinger Z: CQB Supporter, Megabooster, Palladium Reactor

Zambot 3: Aux. GN Drive, V Circuit

Huckebein: Booster, Supercond. Motor

Vilkiss: Megabooster, Range Extender

Xi Gundam: Booster, Booster

Yamato: Booster, Booster, Gunfight Supporter

F91 MP Type: Hero's Mark, Booster

Jesta: Booster, Supercond. Motor, Supercond. Motor

Hyaku Shiki: Booster, Force Reactor

Methuss: Mars Bowl, Cryst. Dragunium, Diva's Ring

Re-GZ: Aux. EOS, Rescue Unit

Venus A: Cryst. Dragunium, Bronze Emblem, Pink Haro

Upgrades

Zambot 3: EN+5(10)

Great Mightgaine: EN+5(10)

Mazinger Z: HP+5(10), EN+5(10), Armor+5(10), Mobi+5(10), Sight+5(10)

GranVang: HP+5(10), EN+5(10), Armor+5(10), Mobi+5(10), Sight+5(10)

Pilot Swaps

Amuro into Jesta

Fa into ReGZ

Not much of a stage, GranVang and Mightgaine head out to snipe Getter Dragon on turn 2, after which the initial enemies retreat and a bunch of trash mooks spawn in. I feed some more kills to the Nadesico and Ptolemy and my second stringers.

Stage 41: 3/153 (39)

Parts

GranVang: Minovsky Drive, Turbo Penetrator, Spiral Effector, Palladium Reactor

Mazinger Z: CQB Supporter, Megabooster, Palladium Reactor

Zambot 3: Aux. GN Drive, V Circuit

Huckebein: Booster, Supercond. Motor

Vilkiss: Megabooster, Range Extender

Xi Gundam: Booster, Booster

Yamato: Booster, Booster, Gunfight Supporter

Shin Getter Dragon: Booster, Booster

F91 MP Type: High Fidelity Radar, Booster

Jesta: Booster, Hero's Mark

Hyaku Shiki: Booster, Force Reactor

Methuss: Cryst. Dragunium, Cryst. Dragunium, Diva's Ring

Re-GZ: Aux. EOS, Rescue Unit

Venus A: Aura's Protection, Bronze Emblem, Pink Haro

Nadesico: Cryst. Dragunium, Mars Bowl

Upgrades

Gundam F91 MP Type: HP +5(5), EN+5(5), Armor+5(5), Mobi+5(5), Sight+5(5), Weapons +10(10)

I send the first pack of enemies packing on turn 2 while also killing the boss, then some Gardim appear. Soji runs towards Chitose on turn 3 and chunks her, then sends her off on enemy phase, which ends the stage.

Stage 42: 3/156 (40)

Decided not to list parts, upgrades and pilot swaps, since I think it's not relevant information anymore.

This stage is a simple kill all map, with no enemy reinforcements. So the only factor is how fast I can reach the enemies to kill them.

Stage 43 Nadesico: 4/160 (41)

The DG alliance is taken care of on turn 2 player phase, with some Move Again + Prospect spam from Soji. After this Purple spawns in with a bunch of goons, Soji moves in and kills one which triggers a bunch of plot. Then some Mycenae dudes show up, and I spend the remaining 2 turns cleaning up.

Stage 44 Nadesico: 3/163(42)

Getter Dragon gets megaboosters to get it's movement up, it has to get an SR point. From the start of the map most units pile into the enemies, Zambot heads up to setup for the Gardim. Nothing worth mentioning happens on turn 2 player phase, but on enemy phase the Gardim spawn and they go after Zambot. Getter Dragon gets the SR with a MAP and another kill on turn 3, and I finish off the remaining enemies.

Stage 45 Nadesico: 4/167(43)

I'm able to clear the first wave of enemies and Exev in 2 turns with heavy use of Huckebein's MAP. After this the Mazinger big bad shows himself, and I spend 2 turns running to the opposite end of the map to deal with him. I drop a bunch of TacP boosting Soji's RNG and Kouji's CQB between maps.

Stage 46: 4/171(44)

Mazinger Z and Getter Dragon run to the left, everyone else goes right. Getter Dragon smashes the big battleship on the left on turn 2, then moves right to smash another on turn 3. Initial enemies are cleared by turn 3. Kouji singlehandedly deals with the Invaders on turn 3 enemy phase, after which the final enemies turn up. They're smashed to pieces on turn 4.

Between stages I unload a bunch of TacP on CQB Up for Getter Dragon, and RNG Up for the Yamato. Fa and Iino get Concentrate and max SP Up.

Stage 47: 3/174(45)

Not much to say here.

Stage 48: 3/177(46)

Mazinger Z and Soji clean up the Gamillas enemies, everyone else focuses on the ELS. Gamillas go down on turn 2, most of the ELS are wiped out, and Chitose gets offed on enemy phase. Turn 3 is spent dealing with the big ELS and a few stragglers.

Stage 49: 2/179(47)

First you have to down Desura II, then the Gardim boss. I clean out most of the Gardim mooks as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Stage 51 Fierce Battles: 2/183(49)

Soji heads off to fight the big Mazinger boss on turn 2. He'll solo them on the same turn with the power of Zeal, Soul and Foresee. (and one support attack from the Yamato) Kouji sends Great General packing on turn 2, and preserves his turn. Mightgaine, Zambot and Vilkiss hurt Black Noir enough to trigger the scene, after which Kouji two shots them with a Move Again assist from Getter Dragon

Final: Fierce Battles 3/186(49)

Soji heads over to deal with Desura II, Kouji heads over to deal with the Gardim. Desura goes down on turn 2 player phase, Gardim goes down on enemy phase of the same turn. Then it's on against Nevanlinna. Soji unfortunately gets twoshot and doesn't help much, but more than half of the Nevanlinna's attack Kouji and are oneshot in return. Then on turn 3 I mop up the remaining ones and it's a wrap. Looking back I think it might be possible to clear out all of the Nevanlinna's on enemy phase, but I'll take my 3 turn to be done with it.

Final turncount: 186-49-5= 132 turns

I feel like this is a solid turncount.

Unit analysis

VangRay/GranVang: Soji ended up at 433 kills, more than double the next highest killcount. GranVang has a strong but not super strong finisher, but lucky for us there's stat boosts. Easily one of the best units in the game

Mightgaine: Maito ends up in second place, with a respectable 174 kills. A strong unit throughout the game, though it fell off in the endgame boss rush. A solid unit throughout, that sadly lacks ends up lacking damage output.

Mazinger Z: The second part of my endgame carry, Kouji stands at 168 kills despite only being in half the game. An excellent unit, that desperately needs movement parts.

Shin Getter Dragon: Part three of the endgame carry. Ends with an encouraging 106 kills, while only available for 11 scenario's. Getter Dragon pumps out less damage than GranVang and Kouji, but can still oneshot Nevanlinna's with a Valor.

Yamato: Yamato is a very good unit. Not to mention that Okita comes with Prospect.

Xi Gundam: I thought I'd switch in Kamille eventually, but I ended up sticking with Tobia. A very good unit that unfortunately falls off in the lategame.

Zambot 3: Zambot is kind of like Mightgaine, but weaker. Still a pretty good unit, just not great.

Huckebein: A good unit, but not spectacular.

Vilkiss: I regularly hear people say that Vilkiss slaps, but I find that's it's good but not great. It doesn't have accel, and neither does it have very good damage.

Methuss: Fa's ride. It's FUB gives it a resupply module, which makes it a good support unit. And of course it had Fa in it, haver of a lot of SP and Prospect.

Re-GZ: Iino's ride. I thought that having Resupply would matter more than it ended up doing, but still good to have. Another haver of Prospect.

Venus A: Sayaka's ride, and another haver of Prospect.

Grungust: Lottie was very valuable in the early game with her Fortune shot, but couldn't keep up with my faster and stronger units.

Nadesico: Bless battery.

Tuathe de Danaan: Also bless battery, but worse at it.

Everyone else: not worth mentioning because they didn't really do anything.

Notes:

- Between Tobia and Kamille, I'd go with Tobia.  His ace bonus is a lot better.
- The Vilkiss is a dodgetank that earns you stupid amounts of money.
- Mightgaine has two sources of Valor and three sources of Spirit, and its biggest issue IMO is running out of EN.

Otherwise, congrats on finishing~!