Gunter in Conquest

FailWood

What are your thoughts on him once he rejoins you in Chapter 15?  During my second run of Conquest Lunatic, I lost Azura before this chapter, and was forced to duo the map with Gunter and an unpromoted Corrin (Level 16).  After careful item management, switching between the two units, and chugging lots of vulneraries, I somehow managed rout the entire map with one turn to spare.  After that, I respect Gunter as a unit in Conquest more then I did already.

2 hours ago, FailWood said:

What are your thoughts on him once he rejoins you in Chapter 15?  During my second run of Conquest Lunatic, I lost Azura before this chapter, and was forced to duo the map with Gunter and an unpromoted Corrin (Level 16).  After careful item management, switching between the two units, and chugging lots of vulneraries, I somehow managed rout the entire map with one turn to spare.  After that, I respect Gunter as a unit in Conquest more then I did already.

Gunter won't grow much, but has workable stats for his join time. The best pat about him though is his level which lets him switch around his classes to get the best skills right away where other units have to wait for late game to get those skills. He is super fun to use and even when his stats start falling behind he can still contribute via access to effective weaponry because of his good ranks.

He is one of my favorite units in all of CQ

And that's ignoring his backpacking with Corrin!

As you can get at least A rank with him, he gives +1 to Def/Str/Skl (In that order for each rank) on top of the class stats on pairup. And with all but one of his promoted classes giving Corrin Mov (not Hero) and Def (Not Bow Knight) Corrin gets good boosts. But you can also adjust what and how much is given with each class he can choose. You can give Corrin more Skl/Spd with Hero/Bow Knight, buff Corrin's Str/Def with Great Knight/Wyvern Lord, or even give Corrin Mag/Def/Res with Malig Knight. Paladin gives +2 to Corrin's Str/Def/Res.

(If you're willing to be cursed, he can give F!Corrin an additional +1 Str/Def at S rank support, but I'd debate if it's worth doing so.)

This on top of his personal giving +15 hit and +3 Damage dealt makes him a great option even if you don't want to use him directly.

16 hours ago, JimmyBeans said:

Gunter won't grow much, but has workable stats for his join time. The best pat about him though is his level which lets him switch around his classes to get the best skills right away where other units have to wait for late game to get those skills. He is super fun to use and even when his stats start falling behind he can still contribute via access to effective weaponry because of his good ranks.

The fact that he has Luna and 24 Skill at base is also really nice.  He has a decent chance to proc it, and even if he's supporting Corrin instead, they can use his Luna if they have Nohrian Trust.

4 hours ago, Dayni said:

(If you're willing to be cursed, he can give F!Corrin an additional +1 Str/Def at S rank support, but I'd debate if it's worth doing so.)

It depends on if the player cares about getting the child units, or if they're playing as F!Corrin in the first place.  He could make use of Wary Fighter if he marries her and she picked the Knight Class line as her talent.  It'd make it safer for him to switch with F!Corrin later on if she ever finds herself in danger.

6 hours ago, Dayni said:

If you're willing to be cursed, he can give F!Corrin an additional +1 Str/Def at S rank support, but I'd debate if it's worth doing so.

I admit I have done that, and ya it's very cursed....

I'm hardly a Fates expert, especially not on Conquest. But when I was playing through Hard Mode, I really enjoyed how he performed as a Wyvern Lord. He made a great statpack for Corrin, and I could switch their positions around, to effectively give Corrin flying movement the next turn. He also kept his strong Lance and Axe ranks when reclassing, which made him great for the Kitsune chapter, as my only highly-mobile option who could wield a Beast Killer without fearing anti-cavalry effectiveness from the enemies.