What would you like to see from an Awakening prequel?

Jotari

1 hour ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Well "not done particularly well" applies to most things in Awakening's story, I'd argue.

It does, and on that note I find it curious to see a lot of people would like to see a rehash of the Grima plot via the First Exalt. That's two of the three main plots. No one wanting to see Gangrel again though. Probably because there's no potential for it given his plot relies on an existing backstory and this is about exploring backstory, but also maybe, to a lesser extent, because, while rushed, it is the most complete story of the three distinct arcs.

1 hour ago, Emperor Hardin said:

The taguel are another huge unresolved plot thread? 

The only real solution I can think of is they actually came from another world in the outrealm gate and only Panne's group in Ylisse were killed by bandits rather than the entire species, Panne simply being too young to understand their history.

That's some pretty decent headcanon.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Jotari said:

We already kind of seen that with future Past though. And with a better ending than a more canon take would dictate. 

I disagree. The Future Past ending doesn't make a good ending for me, especially when it comes to showing the children's resolve and being able to even the odds.

The children were basically the damsel in distress stereotype until their parents from another world comes to save their sorry ass. The original versions managed to fend off for themselves until Naga told them they couldn't do anything without the final Gemstone. Also what you see in Future Past is basically the end results, you never saw how the whole world fell apart to Grima's army.

If anything, the CD drama just show how darker it is compare to Future Past.

7 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

I think that's more set as a Midquel than complete a Prequel to Awakening since a total Prequel has to takes place Chrom's and Lucina's timeline. If it does takes place between Chrom's and Lucina's timeline, that would make it similar to Thracia 776's structure since it takes place between Sigurd's fall and Seliph's rises.

If that would be a Midquel, it would be after two years gap after Chrom defeated Gangrel. Lucina arrives in Ylisse very early in the game and Laurent was in Ylisse a full three years before the events of the game.

Edited by Nym

24 minutes ago, Nym said:

I disagree. The Future Past ending doesn't make a good ending for me, especially when it comes to showing the children's resolve and being able to even the odds.

The children were basically the damsel in distress stereotype until their parents from another world comes to save their sorry ass. The original versions managed to fend off for themselves until Naga told them they couldn't do anything without the final Gemstone. Also what you see in Future Past is basically the end results, you never saw how the whole world fell apart to Grima's army.

If anything, the CD drama just show how darker it is compare to Future Past.

If that would be a Midquel, it would be after two years gap after Chrom defeated Gangrel. Lucina arrives in Ylisse very early in the game and Laurent was in Ylisse a full three years before the events of the game.

That still doesn't resolve the issue over how there would essentially be no ending. Unless time travelling is just the backdrop and the entire story is supplemented by some personal conflict.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

That still doesn't resolve the issue over how there would essentially be no ending. Unless time travelling is just the backdrop and the entire story is supplemented by some personal conflict.

I'm a bit confused on how this is an issue. Isn't the whole point of a prequel is to be a link to the previous movie/game while providing extra story elements or to clear any unexplained concepts? Why would the time travel ending with Naga be a problem? It's an ending that is a direct link to the Awakening story.

Edited by Nym

6 minutes ago, Nym said:

I'm a bit confused on how this is an issue. Isn't the whole point of a prequel is to be a link to the previous movie/game while providing extra story elements or to clear any unexplained concepts? Why would the time travel ending with Naga be a problem? It's an ending that is a direct link to the Awakening story.

No, the whole point is to be a story unto itself. If a prequel is just covering events that we already know about then it doesn't actually provide anything of substance. It needs to have, well, an actual plot of its own. And ending like that would be just plain incomplete as a story.

Edited by Jotari

47 minutes ago, Jotari said:

No, the whole point is to be a story unto itself. If a prequel is just covering events that we already know about then it doesn't actually provide anything of substance. It needs to have, well, an actual plot of its own. And ending like that would be just plain incomplete as a story.

Yet there's a lot of things that we don't know about. Remember, Future Past and the Drama CD only show what was happening during the end of the apocalypse.

For instance, we don't know how the events unfolded after Chrom's death. We saw in the first cutscene that he was killed by Robin, possessed by Grima, at the Dragon's table. Sure... but what next?

If you look how old Lucina and her friends are, it tells me that it took at least 15 years for Grima to actually ruin the world. Why did it took him so long? Is Robin responsible or was the resistance that strong from all the nations?

We have been told by Lucina in Owain's paralogue that Lissa had became a beacon of hope for Ylisse. What happened? What happened to Ferox, Valm or even Plegia?

What happened to the other members of the Shepherd? It sounds to me like they didn't die at the same place for a last man standing in Ylisse, it sounds more like they died at different times for different reasons like to defend their child as they tried to desperately escape the apocalypse or to protect Lissa perhaps.

What happened to the children when their parents died? How did they managed to gather together? Did they even knew each other (aside of Lucina and Owain because they are cousins)?

I could go on and on. There's even more, the Awakening story is full of holes 

Edited by Nym

19 minutes ago, Nym said:

Yet there's a lot of things that we don't know about. Remember, Future Past and the Drama CD only show what was happening during the apocalypse.

For instance, we don't know how the events unfolded after Chrom's death. We saw in the first cutscene that he was killed by Robin, possessed by Grima, at the Dragon's table. Sure... but what next?

If you look how old Lucina and her friends are, it tells me that it took at least 15 years for Grima to actually ruin the world. Why did it took him so long? Is Robin responsible or was the resistance that strong from all the nations?

We have been told by Lucina in Owain's paralogue that Lissa had became a beacon of hope for Ylisse. What happened? What happened to Ferox, Valm or even Plegia?

What happened to the other members of the Shepherd? It sounds to me like they didn't die at the same place for a last man standing in Ylisse, it sounds more like they died at different times for different reasons like to defend their child as they tried to desperately escape the apocalypse or to protect Lissa perhaps.

What happened to the children when their parents died? How did they managed to gather together? Did they even knew each other (aside of Lucina and Owain because they are cousins)?

I could go on and on.

I'm not saying a story set in the time of the future past couldn't work, or that everything has been answered (indeed I would like the know what part Validar and Aversa might have played in things), what I'm saying is that if it simply ends with them going into the past, then that wouldn't be a good ending. Because it's not an ending for Lucina. It doesn't conclude a character arc. It doesn't fullfill any goals for her as a character. It doesn't resolve any plot line for or unveil any mystery. It is a middle point for the story. It'd be like if Path of Radiance ended when Ike met Sanaki. A significant turning point, but an incomplete story.

Edited by Jotari

23 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I'm not saying a story set in the time of the future past couldn't work, or that everything has been answered (indeed I would like the know what part Validar and Aversa might have played in things), what I'm saying is that if it simply ends with them going into the past, then that wouldn't be a good ending. Because it's not an ending for Lucina. It doesn't conclude a character arc. It doesn't fullfill any goals for her as a character. It doesn't resolve any plot line for or unveil any mystery. It is a middle point for the story. It'd be like if Path of Radiance ended when Ike met Sanaki. A significant turning point, but an incomplete story.

Of course it's not an ending for Lucina, that's the purpose of the Awakening storyline.

I really don't understand what is the problem with her going to the past. If you build a whole game showing the events I mentioned in my previous post and showing how they tried to desperately saving people in vain, you will have basically unpacked all the mystery that was left unanswered.

Saying 'Lucina time travelling isn't a good ending' would be like saying that Anakin Skywalker becoming Dark Vader at the end of episode 3 was a bad ending because he became Dark Vader. That's the whole point of a prequel: showing how and why it happened. Not changing it.

Edited by Nym

Interesting to see all the different opinions!🙂

Since I care about world building and the continuity with the past, I'm inclined to favor filling in the 2000 year gap between Archanea and Ylisse.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

No, the whole point is to be a story unto itself. If a prequel is just covering events that we already know about then it doesn't actually provide anything of substance.

Why? 

Stories can be about the ride, not the destination. Filling in the minute details could be interesting.

I'm not attached to Lucina's doomed world at all right now. Let me see vast ruined landscapes, let me here how three major cities are all that remains in Ylisse of the dozens that once existed, let me see the huddled wretches masses who fled the countryside from the Risen apocalypse gathering in those cities. Then maybe I'll actually give an emotive care about it.

If endpoints are all that matters, then Awakening shouldn't get any prequels based on anything we know about. Archanea fell, Grima rose and the Exalt killed them, Chrom's dad was a bad man who died, Lucina fled a doomed world, Walhart came to conquer a continent. Why does anything else matter? A "substantial" prequel would be about journey that we no clue existed, like Blazing Blade's story, which isn't unanimously praised.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

20 minutes ago, Nym said:

Of course it's not an ending for Lucina, that's the purpose of the Awakening storyline.

I really don't understand what is the problem with her going to the past. If you build a whole game showing the events I mentioned in my previous post and showing how they tried to desperately saving people in vain, you will have basically unpacked all the mystery that was left unanswered.

Saying 'Lucina time travelling isn't a good ending' would be like saying that Anakin Skywalker becoming Dark Vader at the end of episode 3 was a bad ending because he became Dark Vader. That's the whole point of a prequel: showing how and why it happened. Not changing it.

It's Darth Vader, but beside the point, that's not the same at all. Because Anakin becoming Darth Vader is the resolution of a character arc for him. It's not the resolution of his entire life, but it is an end to the journey he's own a fits as a conclusion to his character. If there were only a prequel trilogy and no follow up material then it'd still be a satisfying end to his story (granted a pretty sequel hooky decision to keep him alive, but nonetheless and end to the story). A prequel shouldn't just show things off that have only been alluded to, it needs to have an actual story.

15 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Why? 

Stories can be about the ride, not the destination. Filling in the minute details could be interesting.

I'm not attached to Lucina's doomed world at all right now. Let me see vast ruined landscapes, let me here how three major cities are all that remains in Ylisse of the dozens that once existed, let me see the huddled wretches masses who fled the countryside from the Risen apocalypse gathering in those cities. Then maybe I'll actually give an emotive care about it.

Well that goes back to what I said about how the ending could work if you have a character conflict in the middle whose importance subverts the place of the time travel in the climax. Indeed stories can be about the ride and not the destination, but the ride needs to actually be a road map with structure and purpose, and not just a bunch of stuff, which is what a Future Past prequel would be without some new plot thread tying it together. My go to bad example for this is the Torna DLC for Xenoblade 2. I'm sure I'll have someone chime in saying they liked the plot of Torna, but for me it was an absolute snooze, being basically a check list of all the things we know happened from Xenoblade's backstory with nothing original to say.

If endpoints are all that matters, then Awakening shouldn't get any prequels based on anything we know about. Archanea fell, Grima rose and the Exalt killed them, Chrom's dad was a bad man who died, Lucina fled a doomed world, Walhart came to conquer a continent. Why does anything else matter? A "substantial" prequel would be about journey that we no clue existed, like Blazing Blade's story, which isn't unanimously praised.

Blazing Blade isn't unanimously praised because it has a tonne of problems, not because it's a prequel. As far as it's prequel status go, everyone is knows they were pretty much locked into doing something exactly like that. In fact, if there's anything people complain about it from a prequel angle, it's that the Zephiel stuff, ie pretty much the only part of it that actually ties to FE6, is contrived and unnecessary.

Edited by Jotari

5 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Well that goes back to what I said about how the ending could work if you have a character conflict in the middle whose importance subverts the place of the time travel in the climax. Indeed stories can be about the ride and not the destination, but the ride needs to actually be a road map with structure and purpose, and not just a bunch of stuff, which is what a Future Past prequel would be without some new plot thread tying it together. My go to bad example for this is the Torna DLC for Xenoblade 2. I'm sure I'll have someone chime in saying they liked the plot of Torna, but for me it was an absolute snooze, being basically a check list of all the things we know happened from Xenoblade's backstory with nothing original to say.

And that'd be me. I already had Torna in mind when responding to you. 😛

-Although I did do the unusual thing of starting with Torna and only afterwards playing the XC2 main game, which I know you also find excruciatingly dull. And I won't ever go back to Torna, given what I know from the main game now and my fond bonds to the Torna cast.

Not like I actually want to argue with you here. That'd be no fun and go absolutely nowhere, so I won't. Agree to disagree and varying opinions kept civil is good for the world and all.🙂

15 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Blazing Blade isn't unanimously praised because it has a tonne of problems, not because it's a prequel. As far as it's prequel status go, everyone is knows they were pretty much locked into doing something exactly like that. In fact, if there's anything people complain about it from a prequel angle, it's that the Zephiel stuff, ie pretty much the only part of it that actually ties to FE6, is contrived and unnecessary.

Also, Athos being alive, Darin's son being trusted 20 years after daddy attempted a civil war, Ninian not being able to live for long in Elibe despite Sophia being totally fine, Bramimond being alive and having kept the weapons sealed all that time with protection from ghosts when no such things exist in FE6.

There are plenty of story problems the critics (not me) say of FE7 because of it being a prequel to FE6. These ideas wouldn't inherently be bad, were it not for them trampling all over established lore of a prior game set in the same world.

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Darin's son being trusted 20 years after daddy attempted a civil war,

He obviously did alot of philanthropy and community service during the in the between years.

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Ninian not being able to live for long in Elibe despite Sophia being totally fine

Didn't they say that was due to her spending most of her life in the world beyond the Dragon's gate?

Edited by Emperor Hardin

46 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

@Nym If anything, Awakening gains nothing by being in the same world as Archanea and Jugdral.

We've already talked about how how nothing has advanced either, including society.

I agree, but I don't really see what this has to do with what I just mentioned. Especially since neither had an apocalyptic world left unexplained.

39 minutes ago, Jotari said:

It's Darth Vader, but beside the point, that's not the same at all. Because Anakin becoming Darth Vader is the resolution of a character arc for him. It's not the resolution of his entire life, but it is an end to the journey he's own a fits as a conclusion to his character. If there were only a prequel trilogy and no follow up material then it'd still be a satisfying end to his story (granted a pretty sequel hooky decision to keep him alive, but nonetheless and end to the story). A prequel shouldn't just show things off that have only been alluded to, it needs to have an actual story.

A prequel's job isn't to have a good ending or to finish a character arc (although it can end for those only existing in that prequel or barely mentioned in the original story), it's to show to an audience what was previously only told or not even told or shown.

I don't get what else do you want from a prequel to be honest. If you want some bullshit made up story for the sake of entertainment, sure, but it doesn't matter since it won't be mentioned during the main story. What most people want in a prequel is answers, how and why it happened. You can add some made up enemies just to spice things up if you want, it's not the 'meat' of the meal, 'potatoes' at best.  The 'meat' is all the answers to what the original story left unanswered.

37 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Also Majora's Mask wasn't dark, it had tons of silly stuff like Tingle and talking cyborg Beavers, and Link does stop the moon from falling.

It's still darker than most Link games. My whole point was to have a Fire Emblem with a different atmosphere. In any games, no matter how stacked the cards are against the protagonist's group, they always come out on top. I would like to see what happens if they truly fail, not just a Game Over when the lords dies. The closest thing we got was FE4 gen 1. Which is why Lucina's doomed future would be perfect for this kind of game.

Edited by Nym

1 minute ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Didn't they say that was due to her spending most of her life in the world beyond the Dragon's gate?

This is what is said:

Nils:
“Ninian… The air of this world, it’s changed so much from what we knew. No matter how much time passes, our strength will never return. If we stay here, we will not survive long.”

So... yeah. Although this doesn't suffice for the sharpest of FE7 critics. Particularly because Ninian is only half-dragon so it shouldn't be so bad.

35 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And that'd be me. I already had Torna in mind when responding to you. 😛

-Although I did do the unusual thing of starting with Torna and only afterwards playing the XC2 main game, which I know you also find excruciatingly dull. And I won't ever go back to Torna, given what I know from the main game now and my fond bonds to the Torna cast.

Not like I actually want to argue with you here. That'd be no fun and go absolutely nowhere, so I won't. Agree to disagree and varying opinions kept civil is good for the world and all.🙂

Yes, I must unveil my bias that already I didn't like Xenoblade 2's story, but it still managed to entertain me a lot more than Torna did (that being said, the gameplay in Torna was more fun).

Also, Athos being alive, Darin's son being trusted 20 years after daddy attempted a civil war, Ninian not being able to live for long in Elibe despite Sophia being totally fine, Bramimond being alive and having kept the weapons sealed all that time with protection from ghosts when no such things exist in FE6.

There are plenty of story problems the critics (not me) say of FE7 because of it being a prequel to FE6. These ideas wouldn't inherently be bad, were it not for them trampling all over established lore of a prior game set in the same world.

Well yes, but I was mainly talking about the narrative. Contradictions in lore are always going to be critisized. Awakening gets all the same guff (if not a lot more) while being a sequel, so the issue there is contradictions in lore, nothing to do with it being a sequel or a prequel. It's a later title not paying attention to what an earlier title established. Thought personally I think a bit of that is fine if it's in service to the narrative. To whit my opinion of those examples,

Athos and Bramimond being around I don't see much reason to have an issue with, sure it's not implied in Binding Blade, but it's not like there's anything that makes it impossible.

Ninian and Sophia contradiction....yeah, I take issue with that, but more from the fact that I think they should have made Nils and Ninian full blooded dragons to begin with (and in fact I head canon Nergal is a manakete who has forgotten his origins) since they're such clearly different characters, and the two of them are already treated as full blooded dragons with only some needlessly difficult to reach bonus content revealing their hybrid nature. And because of that whole needlessly difficult to reach part, the whole relationship with Nergal is severely under done. Nergal is Nils and Ninan's father...so what? It's kind of irrelevant he's their father since none of them are aware of it. It's not inherently a bad idea as it adds some mild dramatic irony to the whole situation, I can appreciate it a bit of that, but if the cost of that very mild dramatic irony is plot holes elsewhere then the plot thread that barely exists to begin with is better of being axed.

Darin still being around is rather silly, but it's shameless fanservice to begin with. I'm more perturbed by the fact that they were willing to give us such shameless fanserivce yet completely forgot Hector actually has an already established brother.

And just to be complete with Zephiel, while I do agree somewhat with the complaints that it doesn't fit into Blazing Blade's narrative, I don't really have much of an issue with the whole segment. Once again it's basically fanserivce and seeing how Zephiel's mother was almost as bad as his father gives an extra dimension to the whole thing. I can compartmentalize it enough to take it for what it is. But if they tried to make an entire game out of Night of Farewells, then I think I'd have a similar issue to what I express here with the Future Past.

20 minutes ago, Nym said:

A prequel's job isn't to have a good ending or to finish a character arc (although it can end for those only existing in that prequel or barely mentioned in the original story), it's to show to an audience what was previously only told or not even told or shown.

I don't get what else do you want from a prequel to be honest. If you want some bullshit made up story for the sake of entertainment, sure, but it doesn't matter since it won't be mentioned during the main story. What most people want in a prequel is answers, how and why it happened. You can add some made up enemies just to spice things up if you want, it's not the 'meat' of the meal, 'potatoes' at best.  The 'meat' is all the answers to what the original story left unanswered.

I didn't say a prequel's job is to have a good ending. I said that a prequel's job is to be a story unto itself...but that being said, obviously every story's job is to have a good ending (along with a good beginning, middle and other bits). If a story is just filling in holes left out of another story, then that isn't a story, it's just a bonus interview with the writer disguised as a story.

Edited by Jotari

12 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I didn't say a prequel's job is to have a good ending. I said that a prequel's job is to be a story unto itself...but that being said, obviously every story's job is to have a good ending (along with a good beginning, middle and other bits).

Any games or movies needs to have a good story, prequels included.

Like I said, if someone wants to add a side story or conflict in the prequel to keep things interesting, they definitely can. But the main focus and what writes in movies and video games have done for a while is more to explain what happens.

If someone doesn't like the doomed world and time travelling because it's cliché, that's okay. To each their opinions, but I think it would be interesting for an Awakening Prequel.

59 minutes ago, Nym said:

I agree, but I don't really see what this has to do with what I just mentioned. Especially since neither had an apocalyptic world left unexplained.

Most things in Awakening were left unexplained.

It's still darker than most Link games. My whole point was to have a Fire Emblem with a different atmosphere. In any games, no matter how stacked the cards are against the protagonist's group, they always come out on top. I would like to see what happens if they truly fail, not just a Game Over when the lords dies. The closest thing we got was FE4 gen 1. Which is why Lucina's doomed future would be perfect for this kind of game.

Link to the Past had Ganon ruin an entire world and turn dozens of people into monsters also brainwshing the King's army after killing the king. Adventure of Link has a ruined Hyrule and a Zelda being betrayed by her own family.

I would like to see what happens if they truly fail, not just a Game Over when the lords dies. The closest thing we got was FE4 gen 1. Which is why Lucina's doomed future would be perfect for this kind of game.

Is it though, Awakening has timetravel which basically allows them to undo any loss?

31 minutes ago, Nym said:

If someone doesn't like the doomed world and time travelling because it's cliché, that's okay. To each their opinions, but I think it would be interesting for an Awakening Prequel.

I'm kind of wondered about that Portal to the Outrealms and how Lucina time traveled to Chrom's time. What if Chrom's father actually did discovered the Outrealms and maybe write it down in his journal. I could think Lucina might have looked in her late grandfather's journal before Grima invaded Ylisse and killed a lot of people and that's probably how Lucina discovered the Outrealms so that she can change the Past in Awakening.

Edited by King Marth 64

32 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Most things in Awakening were left unexplained

I agree.

Link to the Past had Ganon ruin an entire world and turn dozens of people into monsters also brainwshing the King's army after killing the king. Adventure of Link has a ruined Hyrule and a Zelda being betrayed by her own family.

Ok look, I won't start a debate with you on what Zelda game is darker or not. It was just an example of a darker game without jumping into horror territory.

Is it though, Awakening has timetravel which basically allows them to undo any loss?

Just because they time travelled doesn't mean they didn't loss anything.

In fact, if you remember the ending of Awakening, the children know they don't belong in this world, no matter how much their parents tell them otherwise. It's not their world, yes they saved the day for this one, but it's not theirs. They just make sure it doesn't happen again for their parents and younger selves.

31 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

I'm kind of wondered about that Portal to the Outrealms and how Lucina time traveled to Chrom's time. What if Chrom's father actually did discovered the Outrealms and maybe write it down in his journal. I could think Lucina might have looked in her late grandfather's journal before Grima invaded Ylisse and killed a lot of people and that's probably how Lucina discovered the Outrealms so that she can change the Past in Awakening

Lucina travelled to the past with the portal Naga opened.

The Outrealms are very strange for a concept since it has yet to be actually acknowledge by literally anyone from the Fire Emblem franchise, despite being a potential danger with anyone able to travel at will.

Edited by Nym

1 hour ago, Nym said:

Any games or movies needs to have a good story, prequels included.

Like I said, if someone wants to add a side story or conflict in the prequel to keep things interesting, they definitely can. But the main focus and what writes in movies and video games have done for a while is more to explain what happens.

My issue isn't that it's cliche. It's that building a narrative around a foregone conclusion that doesn't resolve either a character or plot arc is not conductive to building a good story. The main focus shouldn't be explaining things, the main focus should be making something that works as a story. If the main focus is just explaining things then you don't end up with a story, you just get a bunch of explanations.

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2021 at 1:17 AM, Jotari said:

But then you have Awakening which seems like the one Fire Emblem game perfectly primed for a prequel. I'm talking, of course, about Chrom's father and his attempted genocide in Plegia. Unlike most games it's a very clear it's conflict that happened before the series, but we also know basically nothing about it as it's only briefly touched on. How would it even work? Would Chrom's father be the hero or the villain? How would his actions be viewed in light of what Awakening eventually reveals about the Grimleal? Wjat other chaeacters coild be involved? What would you personally like to see if such a game were made?

Ooh, I'll step up to the plate.

Setup: It's the Grimleal's darkest hour. They're under relentless attack by Ylisse's Zealot-King, and though they live in Plegia, their heartless Queen affords them no protection. Can you save this religious sect from utter destruction?

Main characters: A Priestess of Grima, who functions as the main Lord (starts with Staves, gains Dark Magic on promotion). The daughter of an aging High Priest, she seeks to lead her people to salvation. In the process, she hires a Tactician, whose name and traits are chosen by the player. Together, they wage a war of resistance against the Zealot-King's aggression.

Other characters: Validar is a Dark Mage and Grima devotee, who seems to have his own aspirations. Aversa is a Pegasus Knight, drawn to those in power. Gangrel is an orphaned young Thief, who allies with the Grimleal. Basilio is an aspiring Feroxi Fighter, who joins this war to prove his mettle. Tharja's Mom could be a Sniper Jeigan or something IDK. Sully's Dad & Stahl's Dad would totally be Cain & Abel Camuses with a mad bromance. Kellam's Mom is an Ylissean Armor Knight who got left behind in a retreat, so she'll join you if you pay her any attention. This list isn't exhaustive, and there'd be plenty of new characters not connected to existing Awakening folks.

Canonicity: If you pick the female Tactician, and get her to S-support with Validar, that's how the events of Awakening kick off. Which is pretty messed-up, if you think about it. Any alternate configuration can be assumed to feed into a different, unexplored future.

3 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Other characters: Validar is a Dark Mage and Grima devotee, who seems to have his own aspirations. Aversa is a Pegasus Knight, drawn to those in power. Gangrel is an orphaned young Thief, who allies with the Grimleal. Basilio is an aspiring Feroxi Fighter, who joins this war to prove his mettle. Tharja's Mom could be a Sniper Jeigan or something IDK. Sully's Dad & Stahl's Dad would totally be Cain & Abel Camuses with a mad bromance. Kellam's Mom is an Ylissean Armor Knight who got left behind in a retreat, so she'll join you if you pay her any attention. This list isn't exhaustive, and there'd be plenty of new characters not connected to existing Awakening folks.

I like the notion of a young Basilio roaming the land to prove his mettle, but I reckon if he'd been roped up in that conflict then he would have mentioned it at some point in Awakening (then again, we shouldn't let retcons get in the way of good solid fun, it's not like Eliwood is constantly babbling about that one time he saved the world from a crazy wizard).

3 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Canonicity: If you pick the female Tactician, and get her to S-support with Validar, that's how the events of Awakening kick off. Which is pretty messed-up, if you think about it. Any alternate configuration can be assumed to feed into a different, unexplored future.

That would make Robin younger than Lissa.

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

That would make Robin younger than Lissa.

Uh... obviously, Robin's Mother escaped with her child to one of the Babyrealms, thus speeding up their growth.

Yeah yeah, I didn't consider this, but honestly I'm invested in the notion of Validar and Robin's (potential) mother being playable. Maybe Robin was born after Lissa, but part of Validar's machinations caused them, as a vessel of Grima, to grow up weirdly fast?

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

I like the notion of a young Basilio roaming the land to prove his mettle, but I reckon if he'd been roped up in that conflict then he would have mentioned it at some point in Awakening (then again, we shouldn't let retcons get in the way of good solid fun, it's not like Eliwood is constantly babbling about that one time he saved the world from a crazy wizard).

Potentially so. On the flip side, Basilio might have viewed chatting up participating in a war against Chrom's father (and Ylisse's prior ruler)... not the best way to stay on Chrom's good side.

Also, young Basilio should totally still have both of his eyes. What do you mean, "stealing from Captain Marvel"?