What's your game in headcanons?

alexsong

MGS1 spoilers

Spoiler

The reason why Liquid Snake dies to FOXDIE but Solid doesn't is because Liquid keeps repeating that he's a slave to his genes. So if he is convinced that he's going to die because of his genes, then he will. A Mind over Matter situation, bolstered by the fact that he is also revealed to be wrong about being the inferior clone in the post credits stinger. He only lost to Snake because he thought he couldn't beat the "superior" brother. However, I think the canonical reason why Solid survives is just that Naomi had the kill switch ready and could kill anybody infected whenever she wanted. MGS4 tells us that Naomi worked under the orders of the patriots and that choosing not to kill Snake was her only defiance of those orders. But I don't like that reveal since it removes the ambiguity and symbolism set up by MGS1's final act. MGS1's ending is already kind of a confused mess of plot threads and metaphors, I wish there was one thing cool about it.

Also I miss when both endings of MGS1 were plausibly canon. MGS4 confirms that the Meryl ending is canon. However, it's unbelievably corny, doesn't gel with Snake's actions in later games, and she implies that Ocelot raped her just a few lines of dialogue before she starts hitting on Snake, a guy that's nearly twice her age. It's a gross romance and Kojima's un-subtle, un-romantic writing doesn't help the situation. The Otacon ending is much better for both characters. Otacon gets to teach Snake a lesson about loss that's totally believable, and their friendship is supported by their rapport in the next game. Plus it's bizarrely the only ending where we learn that Meryl is the colonel's daughter, which explains his actions throughout the entire game. Why leave that out of the Meryl ending? 

Link in Breath of the Wild is naturally left-handed, but he was forced to fight right-handed when he underwent martial training, both for pragmatic reasons (if trying to do a formation like a shield wall, you don't want one guy holding his shield in the opposite hand from everyone else) and because of the rigid overly-focused-on-tradition nature of Hyrule at the time. Even after 100 years of slumber and amnesia, he still fights right-handed due to muscle memory.

I came up with this headcanon to explain why he seems better with a shield than with a sword (look how awkwardly he swings when holding a one-handed weapon despite canonically being a trained fighter in this game), his extremely powerful shield parry, and the fact that the Links are canonically supposed to be left-handed (with Skyward Sword having been an exception because of the motion controls, and even then it should've been optional). Plus, Aonuma was asked multiple times in multiple interviews why Link was right-handed in BOTW, and each time he gave a different answer that was obviously made up on the spot, suggesting that there was no reason. If I had been in his position, this is the answer I would've come up with, stuck with, and then told a member of the dev team "we need to add a quick reference in one of the journal entries that Link is naturally a lefty so that what I just said in that interview is actually true".

I'll go ahead of give two headcanons, one for Fire Emblem:

Spoiler

Fire Emblem characters have alternate universe counterparts in every world, kind of like Marvel Comics characters. For instance, some versions of Marth might exist in Tellius, Elibe, and/or Fódlan.

While not canon in any capacity, there is credence to the theory: characters like Jake and Aimee make appearances in multiple worlds, as well as fulfill similar roles to their counterparts to some degree (Aimee is a shopkeeper, Jake is Anna's love interest most of the time, etc.). Anna is a special case in that every Anna is a sister to each other, so in their case, it'd be more like them splitting up across the Outrealms (think of it like the opposite of Spider-Verse; instead of collecting together into one world from a bunch of different worlds, they split up to go to other worlds from one world... probably).

And one for The Legend of Zelda:

Spoiler

Every Link is descended from the original Hero... that is to say, the Link from Skyward Sword is the ancestor to every other Link in the series, which would create a deeper connection between heroes besides name, appearance, reincarnation, and the Spirit of the Hero.

Pit, Rex, and Sora get along well with one another ever since the latter was invited to Smash, and they tend to annoy the more serious fighters with how upbeat they all are.

In the Ace Attorney universe, Maurice Leblanc wanted to write a story where his character Arsene Lupin clashed wits with the great detective Herlock Sholmes, but Iris Wilson declined to give Leblanc permission to use Sholmes's likeness. To get around it, Leblanc made his own copyright-friendly version of Sholmes named "Sherlock Holmes". Phoenix happens to be a fan of Leblanc's works, which is why he refers to himself as "Sherlock Holmes II" in Turnabout Samurai rather than Herlock Sholmes II. Of course, this is assuming that Arsene Lupin isn't an actual person in the Ace Attorney universe, though it that case Leblanc might be Lupin's biographer.

6 hours ago, indigoasis said:

And one for The Legend of Zelda:

Hide contents

Every Link is descended from the original Hero... that is to say, the Link from Skyward Sword is the ancestor to every other Link in the series, which would create a deeper connection between heroes besides name, appearance, reincarnation, and the Spirit of the Hero.

That's an interesting headcanon, though isn't that a bit like theorizing that a lot of different people throughout the history of a region are distant descendants from one of the region's founders? Given that Link and Zelda found Hyrule at the end of Skyward Sword, it really isn't a stretch.

The field of Population Genetics even has a name for this: the Founder Effect.

By the way, on the topic of Zelda headcanons, what did you think of my headcanon for Breath of the Wild?

• 4 weeks later...

I have a massive one for Persona which I'm thinking of writing for my next LP fanfic: Link here

Spoiler

Here are the massive differences in the attached PDF I linked to:

• I'm completely adapting Minato out. Minako is the main protag for P3.
  • Yu, on the other hand, suffers from PTSD throughout most of P4, and he is reluctant to cooperate with others, a source of frustration for Yosuke and Chie.
  • Naoto is formerly from Shujin, and she actually suffers from misogyny-related prejudice/violence, and her social link will be changed to reflect that. She is also known as Naoto V, with Naoto IV being her father, and Naoto III her grandfather.
  • Key characters from Persona 3, 4, 5 influence other stories;
    • Suguru Kamoshida and Masayoshi Shido had the hand in shafting Yu to Yasogami and exiling his mother Sayuri Narukami - a senior bureaucrat from the National Police Agency - to an overseas post. Naoto, on the other hand came over to Yaso-Inaba almost specifically to track down Yu.
    • Naoto, Sayuri, and the Shadow Operatives takes an active (if also covert) stance against the Conspiracy, and they secretly work with the Phantom Thieves. 
  • In addition, a good number of conspiracy victims include characters from Persona 3 and 4 in addition to Persona 5.
  • The Tohoku Earthquake happened in the Persona timeline in a different form in May 2014 have undone much of Sayuri and Naoto V's work in their anti-corruption task due to everyone being distracted from the corrupt politicians and bureaucrats.
  • Yu, Yukiko, Kanji, and Naoto's families are expanded/elabourated here. Specifically, Sayuri and Sakura (Yukiko's mother) are long-time childhood friends, and they went to elementary/middle school with Zenichi (Kanji's father), and to high school with Naoto IV. And all four parents were former (or in Sayuri's case, current) Persona users.
  • In contrast to Rise being a closeted conservative/conformist at times, Yukiko and Sakura are actually closeted progressives, precisely because they know that not all Japanese traditions are good. While I didn't know this when I was preparing Yukiko's expanded backstory, there is actually a guy on Youtube who is like that: Let's ask Shogo -Your Japanese friend in Kyoto.

Edited by henrymidfields