What If... Reposition+?

DefyingFates

Title. How do you think Arena would change if we got 400 SP movement assists? They wouldn't do anything new, they'd literally just be the vanilla Repo/ Swap/ etc. but with higher SP costs. Would they be the new meta? I think it'd be a welcome change from everyone running Dual Rallies and Lulls, if nothing else.

This is something I've wanted to ask for months now, but this title came to me out of the blue and I couldn't put it off any longer.

They know this type of thing would be too good, that's why units like Legendary Chrom has a prf Repositional. Speaking of Chrom I think his is the only one that's 500 SP. Yeah Foul Pay and Future Vision are only 400.

Arena would be a lot more tolerable, and requires less no life'ing sitting there reading AI all day. Like I was saying IS is keeping this type of stuff as prf skills on certain units.

Edited by LoneStar

1 hour ago, LoneStar said:

Speaking of Chrom I think his is the only one that's 500 SP. Yeah Foul Pay and Future Vision are only 400.

Huh. I was going to say I thought his was just 400 like the others, but according to the wiki, you're completely correct.

This reminds me a little bit of...I think Dancing Sigurd's duo ability? Isn't he the one who can reposition 2 people at once? Swap+ would be interesting. Like, maybe switch the position of the two units on either side of the central unit, but they have to be in a row (obviously) instead of a triangle or something. There's a lot you could do with that, like activating buffs that happen when a movement skill is used, or getting the central character into position for a save skill, and constantly switching between DPS units. The form skills (where you need to arrange your guys  a certain way) would be beneficial here, too.

24 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

This reminds me a little bit of...I think Dancing Sigurd's duo ability? Isn't he the one who can reposition 2 people at once? Swap+ would be interesting. Like, maybe switch the position of the two units on either side of the central unit, but they have to be in a row (obviously) instead of a triangle or something. There's a lot you could do with that, like activating buffs that happen when a movement skill is used, or getting the central character into position for a save skill, and constantly switching between DPS units. The form skills (where you need to arrange your guys  a certain way) would be beneficial here, too.

That sounds like a form of Reposition+ to me - you move the target unit to an opposite space, but if that space is occupied by an ally, it still works if they can swap to the original space.

For others in that vein - maybe Swap+ could have a range of 2 (between original Swap and Foul Play), Smite+ could move the target up to 3 spaces if available, and Draw Back+ could move the user and target up to 2 spaces if available?

Those movement ranges for Smite+ and Draw Back+ would be very dramatic, maybe more than they'd be willing to do for inheritable assists, but they could also work as prfs like Foul Play.

39 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

This reminds me a little bit of...I think Dancing Sigurd's duo ability?

You mean the unit that cost me 400+ Orbs and still refused to show up? Yeah, that's the one. eye twitches

The topic was about whether the movement skills we already have were Arena viable with just the SP boost, but small variations like those are interesting to think about too, like your "external Swap" suggestion. Interesting indeed, and now that I think about it, those likely are what we'd end up getting if we ever did get "Reposition+" et al., even if they'd replace L!Lucina's niche (until she gets her Remix, at least).

10 hours ago, Othin said:

That sounds like a form of Reposition+ to me - you move the target unit to an opposite space, but if that space is occupied by an ally, it still works if they can swap to the original space.

For others in that vein - maybe Swap+ could have a range of 2 (between original Swap and Foul Play), Smite+ could move the target up to 3 spaces if available, and Draw Back+ could move the user and target up to 2 spaces if available?

Those movement ranges for Smite+ and Draw Back+ would be very dramatic, maybe more than they'd be willing to do for inheritable assists, but they could also work as prfs like Foul Play.

What would Shove+ do?

10 hours ago, Florete said:

What would Shove+ do?

Maybe move the unit and target forward? Like Drawback but the other direction.

3 hours ago, XRay said:

Maybe move the unit and target forward? Like Drawback but the other direction.

I was thinking "push the ally forward, push yourself back", but this makes more sense (and would be far less gimmicky to boot). Thanks!

Edited by DefyingFates

6 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

I was thinking "push the ally forward, push yourself back", but this makes more sense (and would be far less gimmicky to boot). Thanks!

That is not a bad idea either on units with super Drives and long distance support, although the only units I can think of are Veronica: Brave Princess and Álfars, and the former cannot use regular Assists and the latter all have Dance/Sing which are generally far more valuable. I think that just leaves Mila.

I feel like "push yourself back and push an ally forward" makes a lot of sense, personally, and is great for blocking enemies without Pass. Would be especially good on Gatekeeper or tanks who run...that one red "pass" skill that stops people from passing you. Personally, I think it'd be nice.

On 10/11/2021 at 9:01 PM, Mercakete said:

I feel like "push yourself back and push an ally forward" makes a lot of sense, personally, and is great for blocking enemies without Pass. Would be especially good on Gatekeeper or tanks who run...that one red "pass" skill that stops people from passing you. Personally, I think it'd be nice.

You're thinking of "Obstruct" 🙂

And you really like the idea? Weird... I figured everyone would dismiss it as something super gimmicky xD

18 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

And you really like the idea? Weird... I figured everyone would dismiss it as something super gimmicky xD

It follows Newton's third law of motion, so it actually makes sense.

I don't really know much about Arena scoring, so I can't speak to the benefits of having movement+ skills for their costs, but Reposition+ could reposition a unit and then shove them, or perhaps swap you with their previous location. The problem with these sorts of ideas is that there are scenarios where you might prefer to use the original version, which sort of negates their identity as an upgrade.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed