Ranking 8 character (Main) and retrainer ?

drattakbowser

I not sure about my ranking for my 8 main character team. For exemple if I play Beach Bowl.

- 1st : Ryoma, Saizo and Kagero

- 2nd : Xander, Laslow and Peri

- 3rd : Hinoka, Azama and Setsuna

- 4th : Camilla, Beruka and Selena

- 5th : Takumi, Hinata and Oboro

- 6th : Leo, Odin and Niles

- 7th : Sakura, Hana and Subaki

- 8th : Elise, Arthur and Effie

1: Team Takumi.

An easy win for the team. Takumi's the best written Fates character and his retainers are both very likable. Its especially combined that the team really shines. They really come off as the best of palls. Takumi is adored by his retainer and as a rarity for a tsundere Takumi very openly returns the sentiment. They add to Takumi because with them he comes off more likable than he'd otherwise be, and he adds to them because their loyalty despite being goofballs speaks well of them.

2: Team Xander

Xander the exasperated dad having to babysit his wacky kids is a good formula. Peri might be about the worst character Fates has to offer but she does have her uses in this dynamic. Both adding to the general dysfunction of the team, and forcing Laslow to mature and be the senior retainer despite being Inigo.

3: Team Camilla. 

All three girls are fine enough and they've got a good dynamic. Like Team Takumi its a team that leans heavily on the fact that they're all friends. Or rather that Camilla's the mom and that Selena and Beruka are her babies who she dotes on. It helps Camilla because her retainers convey she's not just lusting after the avatar for the player's sake, as a person she just behaves that way in general to all her loved ones. 

4 Team Elise

Nothing special but a decent enough group. Perhaps carried mostly by Arthur, but it helps sell the theme of Elise as a very nice girl who doesn't let her noble status stop her from having fun with the plebs. 

5:Team Sakura

A nice enough team. Sakura's the second best Hoshidan royal and they're all childhood friends. 

6: Team Hinoka.

Team Hinoka is completely worthless. Rather than retainers Hinoka gets a ball and chain to drag around with her. Not very effective, but it can be fun to see. 

7: Team Leo

Kinda down on this one. Niles bores me and not Owain irritates me. I also don't think they really bring out the best in Leo.

Team Ryoma:

This team bores me. Saizo's one of the best characters Hoshido has to offer, but the other two are often kinda dull. There being two ninjas decreases the team variety, but most importantly Ryoma just doesn't seem to have a bond with them. He's their boss and they're his ninjas. That's it. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Just ranking them based on how much I like these characters, nothing else.

1: Team Sakura (Sakura, Subaki, Hana)
Sakura is one of the best Fates characters. Subaki is a very underrated character. Hana is fine. This is honestly the only group that doesn't really have any weak links for me, so I put them at first place.

2: Team Leo (Leo, Odin, Niles)
The only reason this group isn't in first is because of Niles. Niles sucks. But Leo and Odin are both great! If only they could shake Niles away.

3: Team Ryoma (Ryoma, Kagero, Saizo)
Similarly to Team Leo, this group is hindered by Saizo. Like Niles, I am not a fan of Saizo. I would say I like him more than Niles, but I like Leo and Odin more than Ryoma and Kagero, so...third place it is!

4: Team Takumi (Takumi, Oboro, Hinata)
Unlike the groups ahead of this one, a retainer isn't the weak link. The leader is. Takumi is my least favorite of the Hoshido siblings, and not a character I rank all that highly in Fates in general. He's not terrible, but definitely not a character I like all that much. And Hinata is just kinda okay. I'm actually pretty indifferent towards Hinata.

5: Team Elise (Elise, Effie, Arthur)
Elise is fine enough, I'm pretty indifferent to Effie, and Arthur rides a fine line between humor and annoyance. I don't like any of them more than Sakura, Leo, Odin, or Ryoma, and Subaki and Oboro are pretty highly-ranked.

6: Team Hinoka (Hinoka, Setsuna, Azama)
I like Hinoka more than Takumi, but her retainers? Setsuna aggravates me for some reason, and Azama SUCKS. I would punch Azama if I met him, and I wouldn't care if he didn't care. It'd just feel good.

7: Team Camilla (Camilla, Beruka, Selena)
Beruka is a worse Jaffar. Camilla is wasted potential that they just used for fanservice. And Selena is a *bleep*. If not for a certain cotton candy-haired character *cough*Peri*cough*, they might actually be in last.

8: Team Xander (Xander, Laslow, Peri)
Peri is not only the worst Fates character, she's the worst story playable character in Fire Emblem period. Peri sucks and to say she sucks majorly is a gross understatement. Doesn't help that Xander is also bad, like really bad. Laslow is the only saving grace, he's great. But, unfortunately, Laslow can't carry the absolute awfulness that is Peri and Xander past last place.

Hmmm. . .

1. Team Takumi - Oboro gets some much-needed character development, Takumi's honestly not the worst there is (we pretend that Conquest didn't murder his character), and Hinata has the worst taste in women.  Still, they work as a team.

2. Team Sakura - The dynamic between Hana and Subaki surprisingly doesn't get on my nerves, and I think I have Sakura to thank for that.

3. Team Camilla - The two retainers are their own characters despite the fact that Camilla tends to dominate a conversation whenever she's brought up.  Even if Selena has the worst personal skill.

4. Team Elise - They work decently well together.  Not as well as her Hoshidan counterpart, but not everyone can be Sakura.

5. Team Leo - Odin gives me a headache.  Niles, at least, has a couple of interesting conversations.  I'm not sure how Leo keeps them in line, given his personality.

6. Team Xander - Peri has a reason for not going stabby-stabby on Xander, and IMO that's more than what the two below him can say.

7. Team Ryoma - They're more business-oriented than friendly, which I guess works for Ryoma's future.  Still, it's kind of sad to see how most of the other siblings can see their retainers as something more than a loyal employee.

8. Team Hinoka - I don't get this dynamic at all.

• 1 month later...

Is the purpose to rank each team by utility or as a set of characters? I created a character tier list topic and the focus there is to rank characters based on liking/disliking them as characters rather than utility. 

To me, Corrin and his/her retainers is by far the best combation. I adore Jakob, Felicia and Corrin as characters and the way these three interact with each other. They all balance each other’s faults and bring out the best in each other. Corrin and Felicia are naive, overly trusting and straightforward, and Jakob is the blunt voice of reason that keeps order. Inversely, they bring out a softer, caring and devoted side in him.

Xander: This is the only other retainer/royal combination I really like. I’m very fond of all three characters (and yes, I’m one of those people who really loves Peri.) I like how Xander is the mature, responsible leader overseeing his two easily distractable retainers. I love the chemistry between Peri and Laslow, and their support is among my favorite supports in the game. You can guess that I ship these two. 

Elise: I like Elise’s chemistry with Effie and Arthur individually, but not as a trio. It REALLY makes me wish that Cynthia had been Elise’s retainer. Elise is the only one of the four Nohrian royals without an Awakening retainer, and Cynthia would’ve been a perfect fit. She and Elise and Arthur would get along spectacularly, and Cynthia and Arthur would be a perfect couple. I could definitely picture those two raising a kid like Percy.

Camilla: As much as I love Camilla (she’s my absolute favorite character in the whole series), I don’t care for either of her retainers. Selena is an improvement over Severa, but I am still not especially fond of her. Beruka is a fascinating concept for a character that wasn’t executed as well as she could’ve been. Still, it’s enjoyable to see Camilla be motherly towards someone outside of her siblings.

Leo: Leo is among my favorite characters in Fates. Odin is entertaining and has several excellent supports, but Niles brings down the trio. I like Leo’s supports with both his retainers, but I don’t get the chemistry between these three.

Sakura: Of the three, the only one I particularly like is Subaki. I’m neutral on Sakura and I have mixed feelings about Hana. I like Hana and Sakura’s friendship, but Subaki feels like the odd one out in the trio.

Ryoma: Ryoma is the redeeming character of these three. I really like Ryoma, and I also like Kagero, but the dynamic between her, Ryoma and Saizo is as wooden as can be. It’s in character for all three of them, but it doesn’t make for an interesting combination of personalities. Also, I hate just about everything about Saizo.

Takumi: I’ll get this out of the way: I don’t like Takumi at all. I like Oboro and her character emphasizes one of the aspects I find most interesting about Hoshido (even though they’re the “light side”, they’re far more prejudiced and hateful towards Nohr than vice versa.) Hinata is mildly irritating; he’s like a watered-down version of Vaike without the qualities that made Vaike funny and memorable. That being said, Oboro and Hinata bring out the best in Takumi, and their supports are among the few times I find Takumi tolerable.

Hinoka: I’m not a fan of any of these three characters and I don’t understand their chemistry all. Hinoka must have the patience of a saint, because I would’ve fired Azama and Setsuna long ago if I were her.

From a gameplay standpoint (in modes like Royal Royale), I’d rank them:

Team Xander

Team Ryoma

Team Leo

Team Elise

Team Takumi

Team Camilla

Team Hinoka

Team Sakura