What are your thoughts on grinding and dlc in iron mans?

Ⱥstra

Hello,

I have recently been doing a revelations lunatic iron man, as I figured it would be a good warm up before a conquest iron man.

The rules I set were:

No grinding

No dlc classes, maps, and the standard iron man stuff.

Though, as I keep playing I feel as though this game was designed with grinding in mind as units join at ridiculously low levels. This is not so bad on its own but the strangest part about revelations is how it goes almost 10 chapters without giving you any money. After you get 5k in chapter 10, the next time rev gives you money is in chapter 19! Rev by far gives you the least money, about half the amount conquest does according to some reddit post I found. I find this bizzare as rev gives you the most options in terms of marriage and friendship reclassing, which obviously requires pretty pricy seals to purchase.

When problems like these pop up in iron mans, does one view it as a challenge and continue the run with the same ruleset, even if it detriments enjoyment in terms of build options for units or does one label it as bad game design and make adjustments?

Basically, I am just wondering how you guys view these kind of occurrences in iron mans and actually just grinding in iron mans in general, whether it be for gold or exp and for that matter, what about the dlc? Fates dlc has a large impact on gameplay if one wishes it to be as such.

Thanks!

58 minutes ago, Ⱥstra said:

Hello,

I have recently been doing a revelations lunatic iron man, as I figured it would be a good warm up before a conquest iron man.

The rules I set were:

No grinding

No dlc classes, maps, and the standard iron man stuff.

Though, as I keep playing I feel as though this game was designed with grinding in mind as units join at ridiculously low levels. This is not so bad on its own but the strangest part about revelations is how it goes almost 10 chapters without giving you any money. After you get 5k in chapter 10, the next time rev gives you money is in chapter 19! Rev by far gives you the least money, about half the amount conquest does according to some reddit post I found. I find this bizzare as rev gives you the most options in terms of marriage and friendship reclassing, which obviously requires pretty pricy seals to purchase.

When problems like these pop up in iron mans, does one view it as a challenge and continue the run with the same ruleset, even if it detriments enjoyment in terms of build options for units or does one label it as bad game design and make adjustments?

Basically, I am just wondering how you guys view these kind of occurrences in iron mans and actually just grinding in iron mans in general, whether it be for gold or exp and for that matter, what about the dlc? Fates dlc has a large impact on gameplay if one wishes it to be as such.

Thanks!

By definition, an ironman is simply a run where you dont reset. You're technically allowed to use DLC, but would have to not reset if a unit died on Ghostly Gold, making it more of a risk reward factor, since that DLC can be quite tricky at times on Lunatic if not done carefully. Of course, it's common to avoid them on ironmans since you tend to do ironmans for the sake of challenge, and grinding exp could just negate the punishment of losing a strong unit, but I wouldn't call it a crime by any means. If you wish to have as much fun with Revalations as you can, then by all means use DLC however you want. I don't think you'd be shunned. Assuming you're not a let's player, ironmans are typically meant to be an interesting way to spice up the ganeplay, making you consider your actions much more through deeper consequences in a game that you might consider to be lacking that extra bit of challenge (FE8) or have various other methods to win if losing valuable units in an already tough game (FE11 H5). If someone's not having any fun doing it, I'd suggest either removing or adding rulesets to let you play more freely, or just not do the ironman. In your case, I'd just say do the money DLC and drop the DLC map rule you made for yourself. Most of the fun in Rev to me is reclassing anyways.