unit builds/skills/arts

nonsmarts

I plan on playing azure moon fairly soon and I plan on playing it on hard without ng+.  my first two playthroughs (VW and SS) were on normal so I kind of just made everyone whatever classes I wanted to make them and didn't really care about skills/arts.  however, this time around I would like to try to have a more optimized build for each character so I'll need to know the right classes/skill/abilities to equip my units with

does anyone have any advice as to what I should do with certain units?

Edited by nonsmarts
grammar mistake

Do you have any ideas going in?

Some warnings

Spoiler

You Lose Dedue temporarily after the time skip, so don't depend on him too much. He re joins after a while if you competed his paralouge.

You won't be able to build support or tutor Dimitri for while after the timeskip, so you're going to want to put a little more care into him prior. For example getting A rank authority if you want the Battalion Vantage + Wrath cheese.

I'd suggest getting your Byleth into a Flying class for this route specifically, because that should make Chapter 13 a little easier. There's plenty of threads discussing that map, so have some sort of plan, but Hard mode isn't too bad.

As long as you have a Healer and some good combat units you should be fine. Generally following the unit's Strengths and getting them into class that match. Be wary that some of the budding talents like Felix's is bait, but even then Mortal Savant Felix is usable in Hard mode.

Some interesting builds to consider:

Wyvern Rider/Lord Annette. She becomes a mobile Rally unit, uses Bolt Axe, Lightning Axe combat art, and Crusher. Hit+20 from mastering Archer will help with the hit rate issues.

Dancer Ingrid. She isn't as busted when she is out of house, so she can be a decent support unit. Thoron, Pyshic, and Riding talent are really good.

Are you planning to recruit anyone? If so, who?

Anyways, I would recommend Monk > Mage > Warlock > Gremory for female mages (Mercedes can be a Bishop instead if you want her to emphasize support, but regardless, I'd have mages invest in both reason and faith). I can't think of much else without knowing who you plan to use.

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Are you planning to recruit anyone? If so, who?

definitely petra, yuri, marianne, and ignatz.  others tbd

3 hours ago, LoneStar said:

some of the budding talents like Felix's is bait

by "bait" do you mean that they have a budding talent that won't help them much in their best classes? I'm confused

36 minutes ago, nonsmarts said:

by "bait" do you mean that they have a budding talent that won't help them much in their best classes? I'm confused

Correct. Felix is a really good Physical unit, so the budding talent and mage classes aren't optimal for him.

5 minutes ago, LoneStar said:

Correct. Felix is a really good Physical unit, so the budding talent and mage classes aren't optimal for him.

I see.  I'll be sure to keep that in mind

Pretty much what a lot of people have said. Making Byleth a flier (especially if it’s the female avatar) would be quite advantageous since it helps with mobilty. F!Byleth should be able to help Sylvain with his Philanderer skill. Plus Professor’s Guidance will be especially important for boosting the experience points earned for actions/kills.

Dimitri, Felix and Sylvain are good in physical based classes. 

Dedue can be your tank for the time being. I made him a cavalier in my run and he turned out well but he has a bane in riding so it’s up to you.

Ashe’s chip damage with curved shot is nice but unless you have something in mind for him, you’ll find yourself benching him as late as in early part 2.

Annette can be a good rally bot if desired. Mercedes should most likely be healing. Ingrid starts off a bit underwhelming but has the Crest of Daphnel which boosts damage with combat arts. She can pretty much whatever you need her to. She’s fast so Ingrid shouldn’t be doubled this early in maddening as often as others. 

So it’s up to you really but feel free to ask anymore advice if need be. Good luck.

1 hour ago, Barren said:

Pretty much what a lot of people have said. Making Byleth a flier (especially if it’s the female avatar) would be quite advantageous since it helps with mobilty. F!Byleth should be able to help Sylvain with his Philanderer skill. Plus Professor’s Guidance will be especially important for boosting the experience points earned for actions/kills.

Dimitri, Felix and Sylvain are good in physical based classes. 

Dedue can be your tank for the time being. I made him a cavalier in my run and he turned out well but he has a bane in riding so it’s up to you.

Ashe’s chip damage with curved shot is nice but unless you have something in mind for him, you’ll find yourself benching him as late as in early part 2.

Annette can be a good rally bot if desired. Mercedes should most likely be healing. Ingrid starts off a bit underwhelming but has the Crest of Daphnel which boosts damage with combat arts. She can pretty much whatever you need her to. She’s fast so Ingrid shouldn’t be doubled this early in maddening as often as others. 

So it’s up to you really but feel free to ask anymore advice if need be. Good luck.

alright thanks! I'm probably gonna want to do something with ashe because he's one of my favorite characters but I'm figure that out once I get around to actually playing AM

2 hours ago, nonsmarts said:

definitely petra, yuri, marianne, and ignatz.  others tbd

For Petra I’d recommend training her for Wyvern Lord, but other classes such as Falcon Knight, Assassin, basically any physical class will work wonders. Getting her into Pegasus Knight for Darting Blow is definitely recommended.

Yuri is interesting. There aren’t a lot of good classes that fit his skill proficiencies. He can do alright as an Assassin, some people like making him a Sniper, and I myself love him as a War Master, axe weakness be damned. If you go this route, try making him a war monk when he hits level 20 for brawl avoid, then promoting him to War Master at level 30. In my experience his high speed made for great avoid, plus if you keep his relic on him the pavise aegis effect made him pretty good at surviving enemy phase in a pinch. Overall, try a path of Fighter > Brigand > War Monk > War Master.

Marianne works as a healer pretty well, so would like to be in Bishop or Gremory. She can also make use of her lance budding talent to deal good damage with Frozen Lance. If that’s the case she works well as a Falcon Knight or Dark Flier.

Ignatz is straightforward- put him in Sniper. Definitely get him Hit + 20 because that’s just funny to watch him stack hit. But also it’ll make him a reliable killer from long range, and it’s along his natural path of fighter > brigand > archer > sniper.

Overall, if you’re a physical unit you want death blow from brigand and probably Hit + 20 from archer. If you’re a magical unit you want fiendish blow from mage.

And also for Dimitri, train him in authority for Battalion Vantage and Wrath. If you do that he doesn’t really need death blow as much since it makes him more enemy phase. He can finish in his personal class and still do very well if you’d like. Or he could become a paladin or something like that, completely up to you. Class path should be soldier > archer > whatever class you feel like.

I'm playing 3 Houses foe the first time,  finished Verdant Wind and just started Azure Moon. Most of these builds are things I've heard other people talk about or things I have thought of but haven't had the chance to actually test. Btw I'm playing on Maddening, these may be overkill on Hard. 

Dimitri

One really common build you'll see in Fire Emblem is Vantage + Wrath with the goal of the build being to kill enemies during their turn before they have the opportunity to even hurt you but it requires you to be at half health or less, so if you fail to kill you are putting your characters at risk of death. But Dimitri gets Battalion Wrath at C authority and Battalion Vantage at A authority which allows Dimitri to use this combo without him actually being at low health. I think what people do purposely not repair low health battalions and keep them around for Dimitri to use.

Another build I see people do is dodgetank Dimitri. Sword Prowess 5 gives 20 avoid and Dimitri's sword strength helps him get A+ swords more quickly. If he qualifies for the dancer he can get the skill Sword Avoid +20 (although this means giving up your dancers for a more effective dodgetank). Post timeskip his personal skill will give him +20 avoid while at full health simiar to Ferdinand. You can train him in flying to get Alert Stance which gives +15/+30 if Dimitri uses the wait command. But I heard there's a period of time where he can't be instructed so I imagine you probably have to make him a Wyvern Rider so he has the opportunity to raise his flying rank. You can also give him a battalion with a lot of avoid and the avoid ring to give him even more avoid. 

Since the first build takes 2 skill slots and the last one takes 2-3 skill slots I imagine you can combine them to make a Dimitri that's really good at killing things during enemy phase. 

Dedue

I don't know what people build on Dedue but I intend to make him an Archer for hit +20 to help his accuracy issues, then send him through Armor Knight and end in Fortress Knight with a silver shield to double down on his physical defense and hopefully he'll have enough defense to barely take physically damage. 

Ashe

I plan to make Ashe go Fighter -> Brigand -> Archer -> Sniper and he'll probably spend most of his time poking enemies from afar or spamming Hunter's Volley. I first focus on Axes in the early game so he can qualify for Brigand, master it for Deathblow and then make him a Archer and then Sniper which will be his main classes. I intend to have him end with Bow Prowess 5, Bowfaire, Deathblow, Hit +20 and either Strength +2 or Bow Crit + 10.

Mercedes 

I plan to just have her focus on faith and reason, send her through the mage classes and have her end in Gremory, nothing special really. I feel like she doesn't care for any of the physical class mastery abilities except maybe Darting Blow but with her awful Strength and lance weakness I'm not sure if it's actually worth training her in lances and flying to be a Pegasus Knight for long enough to master the class unless you have her be somebody's adjutant for the entire time. You'll definitely want her to to master Mage for Fiendish Blow.

Annette

Kind of the same thing as Mercedes except she's neutral towards faith so getting her to qualify for Gremory will be a bit harder. I first taught her in faith so she could learn heal and then prioritized authority on her until she reached C+ and learned Rally Speed which stacks with her personal skill which is basically Rally Strength so she can give +4 speed and strength to one ally. 

Felix

I plan to go with a brawling build and stack enough damage for Felix to hopefully be able to kill foes on player phase before the have the chance to counter attack. His class path will be Fighter -> Brigand -> Brawler -> Grappler. Brawler is optional, I'm only having Felix ]turn into one because it earns slightly more gauntlet experience than Brigand. Once I master Grappler on him he will be spamming Fierce Iron Fists a lot. His abilities will be: Gauntlet Prowess 5, Fistfare, Deathblow, Fist Crit +10 and Strength +2.

Ingrid

I'm first having Ingrid focus on Axes and mastery Brigand for Deathblow. Then I'm making her a Pegasus Knight, then a Wyvern Rider and lastly a Falcon Knight. Most people prefer Wyvern Ingrid as opposed to Falcon Knight Ingrid but I wanna do it cause it's supposed to be her canon class.  Though it does make more sense to go Wyvern Lord since if you're getting Deathblow you're already going to be levelling up her Axe rank anyways. On top of that, Wyvern Lord does improve her her meh HP Strength and Defense.

Sylvain

I'm first focusing on axes to make him a Brigand for Deathblow, then having him focus on lances to try and get Swift Strikes ASAP and putting him into Cavalier then ending in Paladin. I've heard Dark Knight Sylvain is a thing. He has a strength in lances and riding and a budding talent in reason that gives Black Magic Avoid +20. His magic stat isn't good but it isn't terrible either and he gets an axe magic combat art at A axes.

8 hours ago, Anathaco said:

For Petra I’d recommend training her for Wyvern Lord, but other classes such as Falcon Knight, Assassin, basically any physical class will work wonders. Getting her into Pegasus Knight for Darting Blow is definitely recommended.

I made her an assassin/falcon knight on my SS playthrough and she did wonders for me.  maybe I'll do that again

Yuri is interesting. There aren’t a lot of good classes that fit his skill proficiencies. He can do alright as an Assassin, some people like making him a Sniper, and I myself love him as a War Master, axe weakness be damned. If you go this route, try making him a war monk when he hits level 20 for brawl avoid, then promoting him to War Master at level 30. In my experience his high speed made for great avoid, plus if you keep his relic on him the pavise aegis effect made him pretty good at surviving enemy phase in a pinch. Overall, try a path of Fighter > Brigand > War Monk > War Master.

interesting.  after taking some various other things into account I think I'm gonna go the assassin route for him but I might change my mind

Marianne works as a healer pretty well, so would like to be in Bishop or Gremory. She can also make use of her lance budding talent to deal good damage with Frozen Lance. If that’s the case she works well as a Falcon Knight or Dark Flier.

I made her a sword master/mortal savant in VW as you she is definitely good with healing and stuff but by any chance would she work as a holy knight? she has strengths in light magic and horses and a budding talent in lances.  I also might just make her a bishop/germony

Ignatz is straightforward- put him in Sniper. Definitely get him Hit + 20 because that’s just funny to watch him stack hit. But also it’ll make him a reliable killer from long range, and it’s along his natural path of fighter > brigand > archer > sniper.

yeah I'm not really sure what else I was planning on doing with him I made him a sniper in VW and a dancer in SS

3 hours ago, Glass_of_Milk said:

I'm playing 3 Houses foe the first time,  finished Verdant Wind and just started Azure Moon. Most of these builds are things I've heard other people talk about or things I have thought of but haven't had the chance to actually test. Btw I'm playing on Maddening, these may be overkill on Hard. 

very interesting.  I'll be sure to keep all of this in mind.  thanks for the advice

1 hour ago, nonsmarts said:

I made her a sword master/mortal savant in VW as you she is definitely good with healing and stuff but by any chance would she work as a holy knight? she has strengths in light magic and horses and a budding talent in lances.  I also might just make her a bishop/germony

Her skill proficiencies do make her an easy choice for Holy Knight, though I didn’t recommend it because it’s not really a great class. Magic on horseback is cool, but Holy Knight doesn’t give any bonuses to healing or white magic uses, only extra damage to offensive white magic. There isn’t a lot of offensive white magic to begin with, but Marianne only learns one spell, Aura, so the boost it does give is basically wasted on her (she can only attack, like, 3 times, then she has to use reason, which doesn’t get the boost from white tomefaire). If you want her to be able to fight with any consistency then Dark Knight while training faith on the side is the way to go, since her reason list is much better than her offensive faith list.

That being said, if all you want a healer on a horse, there’s functionally no difference between it and any other horseback mage class other than the fact that all the relevant skills are already trained (ie if you don’t want to invest in reason you don’t have to). So go for it if you want. She’ll still work well.

1 hour ago, nonsmarts said:

yeah I'm not really sure what else I was planning on doing with him I made him a sniper in VW and a dancer in SS

Could always go for a silly build and have him be a War Master or Grappler. He gets high crit and the classline will fix his strength so he’ll probably decimate. If you do that he doesn’t need War Monk, so he can just go Grappler after level 20, then you can decide what to do with him after that.

13 minutes ago, Anathaco said:

Could always go for a silly build and have him be a War Master or Grappler. He gets high crit and the classline will fix his strength so he’ll probably decimate. If you do that he doesn’t need War Monk, so he can just go Grappler after level 20, then you can decide what to do with him after that.

when I said sniper I meant assassin

2 hours ago, nonsmarts said:

No, mostly because Holy Knight is a godawful class that does nothing better than other magic classes. It gives extra damage to offensive white magic... but offensive white magic sucks to begin with.

1 minute ago, Shadow Mir said:

No, mostly because Holy Knight is a godawful class that does nothing better than other magic classes. It gives extra damage to offensive white magic... but offensive white magic sucks to begin with.

make sense

43 minutes ago, nonsmarts said:

when I said sniper I meant assassin

Ah. But yeah, either or works.

Since you said you were planning to use Ashe my advice for Ignatz can apply for him as well btw.

Also I didn’t notice at first but hey Yuki profile picture. Nice.

Edited by Anathaco

1 minute ago, Anathaco said:

Since you said you were planning to use Ashe my advice for Ignatz can apply for him as well btw.

two supposedly mediocre snipers.  this will be fun

1 minute ago, Anathaco said:

Also I didn’t notice at first but hey Yuki profile picture.

I do enjoy his existence quite a lot

Re: Ashe, I used him on CF Hard NG+ as a Wyvern Lord, and I was really satisfied with him. Having a "flying lockpick", who can otherwise retain a full inventory, is a pretty neat niche. I later used him as a Bow Knight in AM Maddening NG+, and... wasn't quite as impressed.

My recommended path for Ashe is:

Fighter (master for Strength +2)

Armor Knight (certify for 12 Defense)

Brigand (master for Death Blow)

Archer (master for Hit +20)

Wyvern Rider

Wyvern Lord

It's a pretty low-investment course, since Ashe has a boon in Bows and Axes, a Budding Talent in Lances, and is neutral in Armor and Flight. Otherwise, you'll probably just want to reach B Authority for Galatea Pegasus Co. He can use either Axes or Bows to good effect, or even a mix. He should be fast enough to double most on Hard, and those he doesn't, he can break out the Brave weapons for. 

However you choose to use Ashe (or not at all), I wish you good luck.

With Marianne (and indeed, everyone who plans to be in a magic class), I definitely do recommend training reason in addition to faith. In Marianne's case she gets Thoron which allows her to strike at higher range (at C), and if you stick with it she gets Cutting Gale (which has very high accuracy) at B, and Fimbulvetr (which isn't great but eh it's got power and crit) at A. It's also worth picking up one of her magic combat arts - she gets Soulblade at C+ swords and Frozen Lance for three training sessions in lances (which one is easier to pick up depends on how late you recruit her).

2 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

With Marianne (and indeed, everyone who plans to be in a magic class), I definitely do recommend training reason in addition to faith. In Marianne's case she gets Thoron which allows her to strike at higher range (at C), and if you stick with it she gets Cutting Gale (which has very high accuracy) at B, and Fimbulvetr (which isn't great but eh it's got power and crit) at A. It's also worth picking up one of her magic combat arts - she gets Soulblade at C+ swords and Frozen Lance for three training sessions in lances (which one is easier to pick up depends on how late you recruit her).

Plus if you’re unsure about her accuracy, you can always train her as a Valkyrie and get Uncanny Blow for the +30 hit on player phase.