Am I just bad with Pegasus knights

Rage

So Pegasus knights people in the forums generally say they are good but I just can't seem to train them I am new to fire emblem I have played fe7 and gr8  I have played a little of fe3h just got a switch I have completed the first mission I like Pegasus knights oh I forgot to say  I am playing the black eagles route my problems with the previous ones is that I just couldn't use them like they just didn't work with my gameplan of a tank that baits enemies followed by everyone attacking and killing most of not all of them wyvern riders worked better with my strategy so is there a Pegasus knight in fe3h that isn't too squishy but deals at least good damage to kill an opponent

Pegasus knights being fragile is typical of the class. They're always been the sort to survive by dodging enemy attacks (they're also great mage killers). About the only exception to this I can think of is Subaki in Fates... but he hits like a wet noodle and struggles to double. Simply put, a paladin or wyvern rider would be more in line with what you want.

Edited by Shadow Mir

Pegasus knights are considered to be sweet units because of their high movement, speed, and ability to fly past most terrains. On some FE games, they are also pretty handy at rescuing other units to get them out of tough situations or to just be their flying car to fasten things up. Most peg knights are meant to be fragile to balance that out, so they certainly aren't meant to tank. In 3 Houses, peg knights can be pretty good dodge tanks later on, as they will learn alert stance+ at A+ rank in flying, giving them 30+ avoid when waiting. Combine this with the falcon knight's passive +10 avoid, battalions that offer some avoid, and the natural high avoid given by their great speed (you can add in an avoid ring if you have one), and you can reach levels of avoid that will have most enemies never landing a single hit on your flier. This is usually how I train Petra when playing Black Eagles. If you want defense tanks, wyverns are probably your best bet. They have pretty good defense while still being somewhat fast (assuming the character on the wyvern isn't slow), letting you bait out more enemies with their large movement. Of course, if you want a non-flying unit to avoid bow deaths, there's paladins and great knights, although those classes are some of the slower ones. Since 3 Houses has no limit to classes, you could just have several wyverns if you don't want squishy fliers. Most characters that could be not so squishy peg knights are often better off as wyverns, like Edelgard or Ferdinand.

First of all, please break up your thoughts with periods. I’m not saying this because I care a lot about grammar, I’m only mentioning this because it was distracting while reading your post and made it a bit confusing at times.

Anyway, having a unit bait enemies and then having your units kill them is a common strategy. There’s no reason Pegasus Knights wouldn’t work for that, but they should be one of the units attacking afterwards, not the unit baiting the enemy. As a couple people already mentioned, Pegasus Knights are generally pretty fragile to balance out their high mobility, but that high mobility can also be used to make up for their fragility. With their high Movement and ability to fly over terrain, you can keep them safely out of enemy range and then have them swoop in for a kill when it is safe to do so. You generally shouldn’t throw them into a group of enemies and expect them to survive, but their ability to air drop a powerful unit into the action can be great. They’re also able to get to villages quickly or Rescue units out of danger. In this sense, they can be good support units. In some cases, Pegasus Knights actually can be pretty decent in combat as well, you just usually have to be a little more careful with them to not put them in range of Archers.

For 3H, any unit can be any class, aside from gender restrictions which is relevant here because Pegasus Knight and Falcon Knight are female only classes. There isn’t anything particular frail about Pegasus Knights in 3H, so yes, they can be pretty tough. Stat wise, I think Pegasus Knight is the best Intermediate class in this game. They don’t have a penalty to HP or Def so they aren’t any frailer than most other classes, and they have +3 Spd and +10 Avoid, which actually makes them better at surviving attacks than most other units by not getting doubled and being more likely to dodge. You still have to be careful with enemy Bow users, but this game also has a new mechanic that makes that less of an issue for Flyers, Dismounting. You can put a Pegasus Knight in range of an enemy Archer and then Dismount to remove your weakness to Bows, so that isn’t even a big deal. Pegasus Knight is a great class for a lot of female units including Byleth, Edelgard, Petra, Hilda, and Leonie.

At level 20, Advanced classes become available. There is no Advanced version of Pegasus Knight. Wyvern Rider is an Advanced class and is a really good class for a lot of units. The units that were good as Pegasus Knights should usually become Wyverns Knights when available. It has all the same advantages and some more including extra Def which should be something you would like.

At level 30, Master classes become available which includes Falcon Knight and Wyvern Lord. Wyvern Lord is a generally better class and is recommended for most units over Falcon Knight, for a few reasons including +4 Def, making them pretty durable, which sounds like what you want. Still, if you prefer Falcon Knights, they aren’t a bad alternative and aren’t particularly frail, having only a few points less Def than most other classes, while having extra Spd and Avoid. Spd is nice to avoid getting doubles so they actually are possibly better at surviving attacks than a lot of other classes while still having the high mobility to make them better at staying out of danger and swooping in when the right opportunity presents itself.

fe7? florina right your first peg knight of the game? She's easily one of the easiest to train and a peg knight with the best combat if trained well with super good growths. Thany was the most difficult of all from fe6. Just dont be afraid and force yourself to use them as they can become literal monsters and can dodge almost any attack. If they're still lacking promote them early and give them stat boosts. Also give them lances with low weight so that they can double easily and killer lances if your frustrated of their low damage.

10 hours ago, Whisky said:

First of all, please break up your thoughts with periods. I’m not saying this because I care a lot about grammar, I’m only mentioning this because it was distracting while reading your post and made it a bit confusing at times.

Anyway, having a unit bait enemies and then having your units kill them is a common strategy. There’s no reason Pegasus Knights wouldn’t work for that, but they should be one of the units attacking afterwards, not the unit baiting the enemy. As a couple people already mentioned, Pegasus Knights are generally pretty fragile to balance out their high mobility, but that high mobility can also be used to make up for their fragility. With their high Movement and ability to fly over terrain, you can keep them safely out of enemy range and then have them swoop in for a kill when it is safe to do so. You generally shouldn’t throw them into a group of enemies and expect them to survive, but their ability to air drop a powerful unit into the action can be great. They’re also able to get to villages quickly or Rescue units out of danger. In this sense, they can be good support units. In some cases, Pegasus Knights actually can be pretty decent in combat as well, you just usually have to be a little more careful with them to not put them in range of Archers.

For 3H, any unit can be any class, aside from gender restrictions which is relevant here because Pegasus Knight and Falcon Knight are female only classes. There isn’t anything particular frail about Pegasus Knights in 3H, so yes, they can be pretty tough. Stat wise, I think Pegasus Knight is the best Intermediate class in this game. They don’t have a penalty to HP or Def so they aren’t any frailer than most other classes, and they have +3 Spd and +10 Avoid, which actually makes them better at surviving attacks than most other units by not getting doubled and being more likely to dodge. You still have to be careful with enemy Bow users, but this game also has a new mechanic that makes that less of an issue for Flyers, Dismounting. You can put a Pegasus Knight in range of an enemy Archer and then Dismount to remove your weakness to Bows, so that isn’t even a big deal. Pegasus Knight is a great class for a lot of female units including Byleth, Edelgard, Petra, Hilda, and Leonie.

At level 20, Advanced classes become available. There is no Advanced version of Pegasus Knight. Wyvern Rider is an Advanced class and is a really good class for a lot of units. The units that were good as Pegasus Knights should usually become Wyverns Knights when available. It has all the same advantages and some more including extra Def which should be something you would like.

At level 30, Master classes become available which includes Falcon Knight and Wyvern Lord. Wyvern Lord is a generally better class and is recommended for most units over Falcon Knight, for a few reasons including +4 Def, making them pretty durable, which sounds like what you want. Still, if you prefer Falcon Knights, they aren’t a bad alternative and aren’t particularly frail, having only a few points less Def than most other classes, while having extra Spd and Avoid. Spd is nice to avoid getting doubles so they actually are possibly better at surviving attacks than a lot of other classes while still having the high mobility to make them better at staying out of danger and swooping in when the right opportunity presents itself.

Yeah, I had neglected to mention that 3H is more free-form with regard to what you can do with classes. Though I would emphasize that flying units can only use flying battalions, so I would be wary of that when planning your team.

GBA FE has three pegasus knights - the first one that's very fast but hits like a wet paper towel, the second one who's more balanced, and the third one who has better bases and worse growths (except Farina, but that's because she's Farina).  I prefer the second one in FE6/8, and am willing to pay for Farina in FE7, simply because everything that isn't a Slim Lance is heavy, and I want some actual oomph behind those blows.  The first one is usually relegated to a winged ferry, whose sole job is to bring someone more competent to the front lines/over a mountain.

Due to the way 3H works, weapons aren't locked to classes, which means you can do silly things like give your favorite pegasus knight a bow, and have her shoot something and run away.

Edited by eclipse

8 hours ago, eclipse said:

Due to the way 3H works, weapons aren't locked to classes, which means you can do silly things like give your favorite pegasus knight a bow, and have her shoot something and run away.

Tried it with Claude, it's certainly a great thing to do the other fliers on the rare occasion that you come against them. Only downside is that you have to invest in Archery to the point where you have Close Counter unlocked.

On 10/12/2021 at 2:07 AM, Redeyesblackdragon said:

fe7? florina right your first peg knight of the game? She's easily one of the easiest to train and a peg knight with the best combat if trained well with super good growths.

For the most part Florina is a really good peg knight, but she kind of doesn't hold up too well in HMM with no Lyn Mode. The enemy quality isn't all that high in FE7, but even then Florina's base stats are just too low for HHM without Lyn Mode, to the point where it's a pain to train her. Fiora joins like 3 maps later with significantly better base stats, so it doesn't feel that great to use Florina. Outside of HHM though, and specially if you trained her in Lyn Mode (and even more so if you gave her one or both of the stat boosters), Florina is really, really good.

Speaking of Fiora, she's always a good peg knight to use. She's still a bit frail but not so much that she can't take a hit, and has good enough combat at base to get rolling. Farina joins a bit late, but she's also good. The recruitment cost honestly doesn't matter that much outside of ranked runs, because the game gives you a ton of money anyways.

On 10/11/2021 at 10:07 PM, Redeyesblackdragon said:

fe7? florina right your first peg knight of the game? She's easily one of the easiest to train and a peg knight with the best combat if trained well with super good growths.

1 hour ago, GonzoMD1993 said:

Outside of HHM though, and specially if you trained her in Lyn Mode (and even more so if you gave her one or both of the stat boosters), Florina is really, really good.

...Whenever you rely on growths its always possible to just have bad luck. Even if you do train her in Lyn you might be cursed with some poor Forina like

AM-JKLXcpU58hyaY5N3is-_LrjV6oLcTE1JBe_Zc

this one here, that managed to get 0 strength after 11 level-ups, and have a strength lower than her No-Lyn mode base strength.

Don't get me wrong, Pegasus Knights are good, but bad luck is also a thing...

5 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

...Whenever you rely on growths its always possible to just have bad luck. Even if you do train her in Lyn you might be cursed with some poor Forina like

this one here, that managed to get 0 strength after 11 level-ups, and have a strength lower than her No-Lyn mode base strength.

My god, that's an omega cursed Florina xd She has a 0.36% chance of gaining 0 STR in 11 level ups. That has to be an achievement of some sort.

Oh well. When a unit turns out THAT bad, at least you always have the choice of just benching her.

Amusingly, I've always felt the same way as OP even after playing the majority of the FE games.  I'm probably biased towards wyvern riders anyway due to the types of character archetypes ("traitors" of the enemy nation, usually) - but even gameplay wise, the mix of "not being able to 2OHKO stuff" and "not being able to tank a single turn of multiple enemies" renders them never used.  Usually I have much better luck getting a wyvern rider being able to 2OHKO things, and archers don't hit wyverns nearly as hard.

On 10/13/2021 at 9:11 AM, Eltosian Kadath said:

Oh. My. God. At least she's in a game where enemies are pathetic. Kaze, on the other hand, doesn't have that excuse, and his performance in my current Birthright run can be summed up in two letters: P-U. He only got 1 strength in 11 levels. Needless to say, he ended up being a benchwarmer.

Edited by Shadow Mir

• 1 month later...